InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 21 ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.
Please note - for some reason, chapters of fanfics I uploaded to Mediaminer lose their formatting on upload, despite the fact that I am using the same word processing program I always do and saving the file the same way. If the formatting is not correct, it is due to the upload and not in the original file. I work from an older MacIntosh and there is an incompatibility between the programming used by MM.org and my computer.
You can find some amazing fanart to go with the story at totd.deviantart.com. Be sure to check out the monthly contests for fanart from the story at my page - urd-chan.deviantart.com.
 
Temple of the Dog - Chapter 21
By Urd-chan
 
A single lamp remained burning, casting a flickering glow across Inuyasha and Kagome. The hanyou was awake, his youkai heritage providing him with little need for sleep. The priestess snuggled next to him, her eyes closed and face relaxed as she slept. Her dark hair sprawled across the pale linens that covered the bed, a stark contrast to her ivory skin. Her dark lashes lay like minute fans across her cheeks. He studied her sleeping form for a few moments.
Shippou lay curled against her, his reddish hair almost glowing as it picked up the only light in the room. He clutched a small wooden toy to his chest and mumbled something about wanting more candy. Inuyasha studied the kitsune. He was fast asleep and apparently dreaming.
The oil lamp sputtered, its flame wavering for a moment before it flared and died, its fuel source exhausted. A thin coil of dark smoke rose from the darkened wick as the room was plunged into darkness. It took only moments for Inuyasha's eyes to adjust to the indirect glow of moonlight that found its way through the grated openings that served as windows high on the outer wall. He turned to study Kagome in the new light, pulling a sheet over her slender form before rolling onto his back. He slid his hands behind his neck, half-closing his eyes and resting his head on the make-shift pillow of his arms as he took in the sounds of the night. Their familiarity was oddly comforting, allowing the deity to relax on the softness of the bed he shared with the sleeping priestess.
The sounds and scents of the night drifted through the window. Inuyasha had become familiar with every nuance of them. A mouse scampered across the sand just outside the temple, the tiny rodent unaware of a hungry owl that watched it from its perch on the edge of the temple roof. The hanyou closed his eyes and grimaced slightly as the sound of fluttering wings ended in the high-pitched squeal of the mouse as it became dinner for the winged hunter.
Inuyasha turned his attention to more distant sounds, hearing the movement of birds in the rushes near where he and Kagome bathed daily in the nearly river. He could hear the changing of the guards who camped near Kikyou's tomb, the first trying to wake his partner while the partner growled at him, unhappy at being awoken. Even the temple itself added to the sounds of the night, the stones creaking softly as the heat of the day transferred from them to the cooler evening air.
The deity turned back to Kagome, sliding his arm gently around her sleeping form. The sleeping priestess shifted slightly but remained asleep. Shippou mumbled in his sleep, moving into a more comfortable position with his tiny kitsune feet propped against Kagome's stomach.
“Tomorrow you'll sleep in the other room,” Inuyasha mumbled softly in Shippou's direction. As if in response, the kitsune rolled his head back and began to snore softly.
The hanyou made himself comfortable and was just beginning to drift off to sleep when a sound reached him that brought him fully awake. It was a distant howl. Surely he had been mistaken, he thought as he focused his attention once again to the sounds of the night. Everything seemed normal for a few moments, but then the sound came again. It was distant, but the clear desert air carried it clearly to his sensitive ears.
Inuyasha quickly slid from the bed, glancing back at Kagome to assure himself that she remained undisturbed. He leapt effortlessly to the rafters above him, grabbing onto a support with one hand as he pushed aside the roof slab he had moved to take Kagome to the roof. Within seconds he was on the roof, straining to hear the sound that had disturbed him. There it was. He turned his head towards the distant mountains, his ears perked to catch the distant howl.
“Damn it,” he muttered softly as he moved to the edge of the roof and jumped off, landing lightly on the soft sand below. He quickly circled to the back of the temple, moving to where the guards were watching over Kikyou's tomb.
“Did you hear that?”
The first guard looked at Inuyasha with a confused expression. “Did we hear what?” He glanced around them, trying to detect whatever sound the deity was referring to.
“That howl,” Inuyasha growled.
“I didn't hear anything,” the first guard said with a shrug. His partner shook his head from where he lay on his bedroll.
“I didn't hear nothing.”
Inuyasha turned to face the direction the sound had originated from. “It came from that direction,” he said as he waved his hand in the general direction of the river.
“Nope,” the first guard said. “Are you sure…” He stopped shortly when he remembered just who he was talking to. “No, my lord,” he said with a slight bow. “Of course, our ears are only human and perhaps the sound was too distant for us to hear.”
The deity turned back to the men. It was obvious that he was agitated.
“Perhaps it was just a jackal or wild dog?” the soldier offered.
“That was no jackal,” Inuyasha said with a shake of his head. “I know the sounds of all the animals around here, and I've never heard a howl like that here before.”
He turned again to face the distant mountains. Once again the howl broke through the desert night. Inuyasha turned to the men, “It sounded more like a wolf.”
“My lord?” the first soldier asked as his partner sat up and pushed off his blanket. “I have never heard of wolves coming this far north.”
“You know about wolves?” Inuyasha asked.
“I haven't really seen them myself, but I've heard the men who went to the lands of the southern tribes talking. They say there are wolves there.”
“Vicious creatures,” the second man added. “But, it's said that they never leave their own lands.”
“Well, by the sounds of it there are at least two,” Inuyasha growled. “And, these are definitely not far from here.”
“Surely even a wolf wouldn't attack a human, would it?” the second soldier said nervously.
“I doubt it,” the hanyou said with a shrug. “But, just what the hell is a wolf doing around here, if like you said, they never leave the southern lands?”
“I'm sure I don't know, my lord,” the first soldier said. “We'll be sure to keep our eyes open here tonight and let you know if we see anything out of the ordinary.”
Inuyasha grunted. “There's nothing we can do about them tonight,” he started as he turned back towards the temple. “Just keep your eyes open for anything unusual.”
“Yes, my lord.” The two soldiers looked nervously into the distance as Inuyasha launched himself effortless to the stone slabs of the temple roof. He pulled the square of stone closed behind him as he returned to his chambers, stopping to look at the sleeping priestess and kitsune before sliding back into his side of the bed. He slid his arms back around Kagome's sleeping form, but did not sleep.
The howls were not repeated as the night moved towards morning.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Lady Kagura!” the palace guard rasped as he pounded on her chamber door. He became irritated when she didn't answer immediately.
Kagura smiled from where she sat on the edge of her bed. She was already dressed in her favorite gown and had taken extra care with her hair, anticipating her morning call from the pharaoh. She picked up the mirror that lay next to her on the bed and studied her reflection for a moment before placing the polished bronze mirror on the low table next to her bed and rising to walk slowly to her chamber door.
“You don't need to be so impatient,” she said smoothly as she slid the locking bar from its place and pulled open the heavy wooden door.
“By now you should know that you'll be ordered to an audience with the pharaoh,” the guard growled as Kagura slid by him.
“All the more reason why I need extra time to get ready,” the wind user said as she walked slowly down the hallway. “One does not attend an audience with Sesshoumaru without proper preparation.”
The soldier narrowed his eyes and stepped into formation with his men behind Kagura as she began to walk slowly down the hallway. She could hear the leader mumble something to one of his men about insolent women. A slight smile teased one corner of her mouth as she slowed her pace slightly. She could hear the sound of armor rattling as the men pulled up short behind her, struggling not to barrel into the wind user.
“The pharaoh is waiting,” the head soldier said impatiently.
“Of course,” the wind user said sweetly as she quickened her pace. It had taken every ounce of her own resolve to keep from running to the pharaoh's chamber. She had spent the previous few days thinking of nothing but the mysterious youkai who now sat on the throne of the pharaoh. He was so different than Naraku, and she found herself drawn to him.
It took only a few minutes to reach the pharaoh's audience chamber. Several more of the royal guards stood at attention outside the oversized wooden doors. Two of them moved to open the doors for Kagura as she approached. She nodded silently to them, noting that her heart had started beating more quickly in anticipation of seeing Sesshoumaru. The wind user took a deep breath and lifted her chin, attempting to appear regal as she entered the large room.
Torches burned in holders around the perimeter of the room, although their light was not enough to completely dispel the darkness in the corners of the room. Kagura walked down the main isle, noting with disappointment that the throne on the raised dais ahead of her was empty. She stopped at the foot of the stairs that led to the throne and glanced around. She was the only one in the large room.
The wind user shrugged and ascended the short flight of stairs slowly, the hem of her gown trailing along behind her as she walked slowly to the dais. The throne was ornate, but surprisingly comfortable looking. Kagura glanced around once more, making sure that nobody was watching her before lowering herself onto the seat. She closed her eyes for a moment and inhaled deeply, taking in Sesshoumaru's lingering scent. It was a refreshing change from the smell of the palace guards, who usually smelled of sweat and the oil they used on their armor. She found herself picturing the pharaoh, startling when his voice broke through her moment of inattention.
“Kagura,” he said plainly.
The wind user opened her eyes and pushed herself quickly to her feet. She took a moment to study the pharaoh's face before moving to the side of the throne. His features remained emotionless. At least he doesn't seem to be angry, she thought to herself as she nodded to Sesshoumaru.
“Forgive me, my lord,” Kagura said sweetly. “You were not in your chambers when I arrived and I was unable to contain my curiosity.”
“Curiosity?”
“Yes, my lord,” she continued with a slight smile. “You appear to be very comfortable sitting on your throne, although it looks like it would be very uncomfortable. I was just curious to see if it was more comfortable than it looks.”
“And, is it?”
“Surprisingly so, my lord.” Kagura stepped further from the throne, noting that Sesshoumaru had taken a small step towards the stairs. “Although, I feel that perhaps the cushion could be made softer for you.”
“It is sufficient for my needs,” Sesshoumaru said as he slowly walked up the stairs. He glanced at Kagura before turning and sitting on the ornate throne.
“Lord Sesshoumaru!” Jaken shuffled into the room, out of breath and obviously irritated. “Why didn't you wait up for me?”
The small youkai stopped suddenly when he noticed Kagura standing on the dais next to the pharaoh. He stomped one foot and shook his staff in her direction.
“How dare you act so personal around Lord Sesshoumaru!” His voice shook with outrage. “He is the pharaoh and deserves to be treated with respect!”
“Quiet, Jaken,” Sesshoumaru said in a low, monotone voice.
“What?” Jaken's face was a mask of confusion. How dare his master tell him to hush in front of this…woman!
“The Sesshoumaru is fully capable of taking care of himself.”
“But, Lord Sesshoumaru…” Jaken's voice trailed off as he dropped his eyes to stare at his own feet. To be humiliated in front of Kagura was more than he deserved. “I have served you faithfully for many years, my lord,” he said in a raspy voice. “Have you not been happy with my service?”
“Oh, hush, Jaken,” Sesshoumaru said in a voice void of emotion.
Kagura caught the tiniest hint of a smile on the corner of the pharaoh's mouth. She turned to study Jaken, finding herself amused at his discomfort. The little guy really had no idea that Sesshoumaru was merely toying with him.
“I am here at Sesshoumaru's request,” Kagura said in a droll voice. She glanced out of the corner of her eye to see if the pharaoh had any reaction. Sesshoumaru continued to sit as still as a statue.
“I don't understand, Lord Sesshoumaru,” Jaken said with renewed resolve. “Surely there is nothing she does for you that I cannot do.”
Before he had finished his words, the small green youkai realized the folly of his words. He could see Kagura lift one hand and place it lightly on the back of the throne. Surely Sesshoumaru wasn't swayed by a mere woman?
“Jaken.”
“Yes, Lord Sesshoumaru?” Jaken snapped to attention and lifted his chin as he tried to look the pharaoh in the eyes.
“Have food brought to us,” Sesshoumaru said in dismissal.
“But, I…” his servant stammered in confusion and concern.
“Jaken!” The pharaoh's voice took on a sharp edge.
“Of course, Lord Sesshoumaru,” Jaken said with a quick bow and an angry glance at Kagura.
The two on the dais remained silent as Jaken walked quickly to a doorway along one of the side walls. He disappeared into the darkness beyond.
Kagura turned to Sesshoumaru. “I'm sorry if I caused problems for your servant,” she said in a voice full of apology.
“Jaken is not your concern,” the pharaoh said as he turned to look at the wind user. He narrowed his eyes slightly.
Kagura let her hand fall from where it had been resting on the back of the throne. She nodded. “Of, course.”
“What is it you want?”
The wind user shrugged her shoulders slightly as she shook her head. “You had me summoned, my lord.”
“You know what I mean,” the pharaoh said sternly.
“I wish to serve you. Nothing more.”
“As you served Naraku?”
Kagura spun to face Sesshoumaru. “How dare you! Naraku was evil! I only served him because I had no other choice.”
“There are always choices.”
“Not with Naraku! The fucking bastard held my heart. He would have killed me in an instant if I had not followed his orders.”
“That didn't stop you from betraying him.”
“I saw a chance for freedom,” Kagura said in a low voice. “I knew I would probably never have another chance, so I took advantage of it.”
“And, will you look for a chance to betray this Sesshoumaru?”
“Naraku was not worthy of loyalty,” the wind user practically hissed. “You have proven yourself much more worthy.”
“I have proven nothing to you.”
“You have not given me any reason to be disloyal.”
“Only time will tell me where your loyalty lies.” Sesshoumaru relaxed in his throne, moving his gaze back to the empty isle leading to the chamber doors.
Kagura opened her mouth to speak, only to be interrupted by the large wooden doors she had entered being opened. Jaken walked in front of several servants, each of who carried a tray of various foods. She noticed the young human girl who had some to her bedroom chamber at the end of the small procession. The tray the girl carried appeared too large and heavy for her, and she tipped it slightly, allowing a flask of water to fall to the floor.
“Insolent servant,” one of the guards roared at the girl. He pulled the tray from her and handed it to a second guard who had entered the audience chamber. The first guard then jerked the girl by her arm as he dragged her from the room.
“I'm terribly sorry, Lord Sesshoumaru,” the guard carrying the tray said nervously as he walked up the isle. He watched as the servants placed their trays on low tables on either side of the stairs leading to the throne. He quickly added his tray and signaled the servants to leave the room.
Jaken shook his head. “Stupid humans,” he mumbled as he watched the last servant exit the room. The large doors were quickly closed behind her.
Kagura descended the stairs, taking in the assortment of fresh fruits, cheeses, meats, and loaves of bread that had been sliced into thick pieces. “My lord, what would you like?”
Sesshoumaru shook his head. “I do not partake of human food.”
The wind user paused a moment before taking a plate from one of the trays and filling it with food. She filled two cups with wine from a slender flask, sliding one finger into each so she could carry them in her right hand. She balanced the plate in her left and moved quickly back onto the dais. She placed the two cups near Sesshoumaru's feet before lowering herself to a seated position next to the throne.
Jaken started to protest, but decided better when he saw the pharaoh's glare. So, this is how I'm treated after all my years of service, he thought to himself. All because of a woman. How humiliating.
Sesshoumaru sat silently as Kagura and Jaken ate. The wind user offered the pharaoh one of the cups of wine, but he simply shook his head and went back to his own thoughts. She continued to eat in silence, glancing now and again at Sesshoumaru. He seemed oblivious to her presence.
When Kagura set her plate on the floor next to her, the pharaoh broke the silence.
“You will check on Inuyasha and report back to me.”
“You have me do this every day, and the report is always the same. Why do you bother?”
“It is not your place to question Lord Sesshoumaru,” Jaken said angrily. “If you are a loyal follower, you will do as you're told - without questions.”
“Enough, Jaken,” the pharaoh said with a slight wave of his hand. He turned to the woman sitting next to his throne. “I have my reasons, and that's all you need to know at this time.”
“Of course, my lord,” Kagura said as she stood and bowed in his direction. “I will report to you as soon as I return.”
Jaken watched Kagura walk down the isle to the doorway. She paused for a moment and glanced back at the figure on the throne.
“Kagura, there is one more thing,” Sesshoumaru said as he leaned forward on the throne. “You will have a message for Inuyasha this time.”
“A message?” The wind user turned to face the figure on the throne.
“You are to tell him to expect a visit from the new pharaoh soon.”
“Of course, my lord,” Kagura said with a look of confusion. “Shouldn't I tell him when to expect you?”
“You are to tell him to expect a visit from the new pharaoh. Nothing more.”
“Of course, my lord,” she said with a confused expression. “As you wish.” She hesitated for a moment, wondering if she should say more. Common sense told her to hold her tongue, so she shrugged her shoulders and turned around before pulling one of the heavy doors open and exiting the room.
“Lord Sesshoumaru,” Jaken said as he shook his head. “I don't know why you let that woman act so disrespectful around you.” He jumped back in surprise when the pharaoh stood and slowly descended the stairs. Sesshoumaru brushed past Jaken without a word and left the audience chamber through the dark doorway on the side wall.
Jaken plopped to the floor, mumbling and cursing quietly to himself. How could things have changed so much in such a short time?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“I'm hungry!” Shippou jumped up and down on the bed, shaking Kagome awake.
“Shippou…what?” the priestess said sleepily.
“Damn it, Shippou. Kagome was still sleeping.” Inuyasha grunted and reached out one hand, taking a swing at the bouncing kitsune.
“Ya missed me,” Shippou said happily as he began to bounce higher.
“Shippou,” Kagome said softly. “Would you mind not doing that? You're making me dizzy.”
“Oh, sorry, Kagome,” the kitsune said as he landed next to her and threw his arms around her neck in a tight hug.
“Okay, okay,” the priestess laughed. “I'll get your breakfast!”
Inuyasha snatched Shippou from his perk on Kagome, holding the struggling kitsune above the bed by his fluffy tail. “You can go back to your own bed now.”
“Kagome!” Shippou whined and tried to look sad for Kagome's sake.
“I'd like at least a few minutes alone with my woman,” the deity said as he swung the ball of fur in his grasp towards the door.
“Inuyasha,” Kagome chided. “You really don't have to be so rough.”
“He wasn't going to listen any other way,” the hanyou complained as he pulled the priestess to him for an extended kiss. He broke away from Kagome after several moments and looked towards the doorway. “Out!”
Shippou jumped in surprise and then scrambled through the doorway, leaving the woven mat over it swinging in his wake. Apparently Kohaku was already awake, and they could hear the two boys talking excitedly to each other.
“Just so he realizes that this is our room,” Inuyasha complained.
“He was just nervous last night. It was his first night sleeping in a strange place.” Kagome slid her arms around Inuyasha and kissed his neck. “He just needs a little time to adjust. A lot has happened to him, after all.”
“Well, I'm going to have to see if the builders can make a more permanent door to this room.” He motioned towards the ceiling. “And, I think it's about time they put on the second floor, too. I really didn't need it before, but I don't think you'd be too comfortable sleeping on the roof when it gets too hot in here.”
“I'd be afraid of falling off in my sleep,” the priestess said as she nuzzled his jaw line.
“Unfortunately, we don't have time,” Inuyasha groaned as he embraced Kagome. “That damned Shippou will be back any minute.”
As if on cue, a reddish-brown blur streaked into the room and launched itself at the bed. Kagome laughed as the kitsune first bounced on one side of her before losing control and falling off the edge of the bed. He sat on the floor, rubbing his backside and whimpering.
“Maybe that will teach you.” Kagome opened her arms to him and braced herself for the impact of another kitsune launch. This time Shippou managed to remain on the bed, and he laced his arms around Kagome's neck and wouldn't let go.
“You said you'd get me some breakfast,” he whined. His stomach answered with a loud rumbling of its own.
“Well, I think we need to set things up so that you can help yourself in the mornings,” the priestess said as she tried to untangle Shippou's arms from her. He tightened his hold on her.
“But, I'm hungry now!”
“All right, I'm coming,” Kagome said as she sat up and swung her legs over the edge of the bed. Shippou remained attached to her.
The priestess pushed through the door and walked into the main chamber. The room was lit only with the indirect sunlight that passed through grates high on the walls. She could see Kohaku sitting crossed-legged on his make-shift bed. Shippou jumped from Kagome's arms and ran to sit with the other boy. There was no sign of Sango.
“Oh, I didn't know you were up,” a nervous voice sounded from the direction of Miroku's chamber. Sango let the mat covering the door drop back in place and walked quickly to a bench near her brother. She sat down and averted her eyes from Kagome.
“You don't have to be so secretive, you know,” Kagome said as she joined her friend on the hard stone seat.
“I…” The youkai exterminator glanced at the priestess before looking down at her own hands. “I'm not that type of woman.”
“You're a woman in love,” the priestess said with a smile. “What other type were you thinking of?”
Sango sighed, “An unmarried woman doesn't do things like this.”
“The circumstances here are a bit abnormal,” Kagome said as she stood and faced the other young woman. “I don't see anything for you to have to hide.”
“I'm nothing more than a concubine.”
“Sango, I promise you that you are much more to Miroku than that.”
“I wish I could believe you.” Sango sighed and looked over at the two boys, continuing only when she was sure they were engrossed in a game Shippou had found in the caravan of offerings. “Everything is so strange here. So different than things back home. But, even here, a woman who shares a bed with a man who isn't her husband is nothing more than a concubine or a…”
“As I said, the circumstances are not normal.” Kagome returned to sit by her friend. “And, Miroku isn't your typical man. I think you just need to give him a little time.”
“I can't help but wonder if I'll ever go home again,” Sango said softly.
“Don't you like it here?”
“It's not that I don't like it here. Everything is so strange - so exotic. And hot. I miss the trees and flowers.” The youkai exterminator glanced in the direction of Miroku's room. “Then again, it's not like I have any family left there. Kohaku's all I have, and he's with me here.”
“No family?”
“Naraku…” Sango's voice began to shake.
“You don't have to talk about it, if you don't want to.”
“Thank you. I'm just not ready to talk about it yet.”
“Talk about what?” Miroku appeared suddenly behind the two women. He was wearing a loose robe and carried a clean kilt and sash over his arm.
“Just girl talk,” Kagome said with a smile. She squeezed Sango's arm lightly. “We'll talk more later.”
“Well, if you're done, I was wondering if anyone wanted to go down to the river for a bath.” The priest looked pointedly at the youkai exterminator.
Before Sango could say anything, Shippou jumped onto Miroku's shoulder. “I want to go! Hey, Kohaku, why don't you come with us?”
“But…but…” Miroku shook his head.
“Anyway, I promised Kagome I would bathe with her in a little while,” Sango lied. She looked at her friend for back-up.
“Of course,” the priestess said as she stood. “I do need to get breakfast for everyone first, though.”
Kagome motioned to Sango to join her, and the two young women quickly put out a spread of bread, cheese, and fresh fruit.
“It's so nice to have so much fresh fruit for a change,” Kagome said as she cut open a small melon. “Come on everyone, eat. It's not like we can save it. Unless it's dried, the fruit will spoil quickly anyway.” She glanced around the room, noting for the first time that Inuyasha had not joined them. “Where's Inuyasha?”
“Probably still in your room,” Shippou said cheerfully as he sprinted off to look for the missing deity. He stopped at the foot of Inuyasha and Kagome's bed, puzzled when he didn't see the hanyou.
“Inuyasha?”
A sound above him made him look up. Inuyasha was climbing through an opening in the ceiling. He pulled a stone panel back into place behind him before jumping down to the floor beneath.
“Hey, you're going to squash me!” Shippou said in horror as he jumped back. He looked back up into the rafters, trying to see what Inuyasha might have been doing there. “So, where were you?”
“Just looking around.” The deity pushed past the kitsune and entered the main chamber.
“There you are,” Kagome said as she held out a plate of food to him. “Where were you?”
“Just checking the area.” Inuyasha took the plate with one hand and Kagome's hand with the other, leading her to a bench across from the one Sango sat on. She seemed intent on studying the food on her plate.
Miroku and the boys filled their plates and moved to join the others. The boys sat on cushions on the floor while the priest took a spot next to the youkai exterminator. She blushed and tried to move away from him, but he grasped the fabric of her robe and pulled, signaling that he wanted her to sit closer to him.
The small group sat in silence as they ate, even the boys were being quiet as they concentrated on eating. Before long, the empty plates had been gathered and set to soak.
“We should take the rest of this food to the soldiers who are guarding Kikyou's tomb,” Kagome suggested.
“Miroku and I will do that,” Inuyasha offered suddenly. “Why don't you and Sango get your baths at the river now, and Miroku and I will have our turn when you return.”
“What about us?” Shippou asked.
“You and Kohaku can just come with us, if you want to,” the priestess offered. “They are just children, after all,” she said in response to the look Inuyasha gave her. “They can always bathe on the other side of the clump of rushes.”
Inuyasha nodded wordless as he motioned to Miroku to join him. The two men watched the women gather what they needed for their bathes. When they were done, Inuyasha lifted the locking bar from the door to the temple and pushed it open. He motioned to his priestess to stop as she walked by him and gave her a long kiss. “Just be careful.”
“Is something wrong?”
“No, nothing's wrong. I'm just not there to watch out for you,” the deity said as he pulled her to him for another kiss.
“We'll be fine,” Kagome said she ran to catch up with Sango and the boys.
Inuyasha entered the temple. “Grab a couple of those plates,” he ordered Miroku as he picked up two himself.
“What's up?” the priest asked as he followed his deity into the early morning sunlight.
“Wait.”
The two rounded the corner of the temple, bringing Kikyou's tomb and its guards into view. The two soldiers snapped to attention as soon as they saw Inuyasha approach.
“Don't do that,” Inuyasha complained as he held out the food he carried. Miroku moved forward and handed his plates to the second soldier.
“Go ahead and eat,” the priest said as he waited for the deity to reveal what was on him mind.
“Eat,” Inuyasha ordered. He waited for the two men to sit and then lowered himself to a sitting position near them. Miroku joined the others.
“Tell my priest about the wolves.”
The first soldier shrugged. “There's nothing to really tell. Just that your…um…deity here says he heard howling last night.”
“Howling?” Miroku laughed. “I'm sure it was just one of the wild dogs. They're all over the place here.”
“What I heard was no dog,” Inuyasha growled. “I've been here long enough to know every sound there is at night. What I heard last night was definitely not a dog, or a jackal. I've heard that sound before, where I'm from. It was definitely a wolf.”
The priest shook his head. “I've never heard of a wolf coming this far north. They live in the lands of the southern tribes. I've never ventured that far, seeing that I had my duties here, but we do get visitors from all over. Wolves are very territorial. They wouldn't leave their lands unless something drastic chased them away.”
“There have been a lot of rumors coming from the south,” the second guard said around a mouthful of food. “Maybe they're more than just rumors.”
“Maybe,” Inuyasha said. “Anyway, I'm going to be watching closely. If any of those damned wolves gets too close to my temple, they'll be sorry they ever left their own lands.”
Miroku followed his deity's cue and stood. He started to walk towards the temple when he realized Inuyasha wasn't walking with him. Turning, he noted the hanyou staring at Kikyou's tomb.
“They'll be adding to the building soon. If you want me to, I can add something to this part of the tomb while we're waiting.”
“'Add something'?”
“I do have training as a scribe. I can plan out some text for the inside of the tomb. Something to help celebrate Kikyou's life.”
Inuyasha turned to his priest. “Just do something. Kikyou never deserved this.”
“Of course. I'll read through my grandfather's scrolls and see what I can find about her. I can always ask her sister for details on her life. I'll get started on it right away.”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Kagome, Sango, and the boys returned from the river. Shippou and Kohaku ran ahead, leaving a small cloud of dust in their wake. When the women were near Kikyou's tomb, one of the soldiers walked out to greet them.
“I hope I'm not disturbing you,” he said in a nervous voice.
“Is something wrong?” Kagome glanced around them, worried that something had happened while she was gone.
“Oh, no, my lady,” the man said humbly. “I know it's rather forward of me to talk to you like this, but my friend here and I were in the pharaoh's audience chamber the day your group destroyed Naraku.”
The priestess glanced nervously at Sango. The boys had already disappeared around the corner of the temple, so they were alone with the soldiers. Are these men still loyal to Naraku? Kagome wondered. “What do you want from me?”
“The men…my fellow soldiers from the palace of the pharaoh, feel we owe you a great debt. Never in the history of the land has a pharaoh treated his people with such disregard. I can't even count the number of fellow soldiers who fell at Naraku's hand.”
“I'm sorry. I know we can't bring them back, but perhaps the new pharaoh will treat his guard better.”
“Yeah, we can only hope. Somehow I doubt he could be any worse. The thing is, we saw what you did for us that day. I've never seen an arrow like the one you shot at Naraku.”
“It was just an ordinary arrow,” the priestess said with a shrug. “I'm not even sure why I shot it, but I was handed a bow and arrow and knew that something had to be done.”
“Well, the arrow might have been ordinary, but I saw it's path and what it did to Naraku. I've heard stories of people with special powers, but I never thought I'd actually meet one.”
“Special powers?”
“Of course, Kagome. We have what we call mikos where I'm from. They're like priestesses here, but some do have special powers.”
“The lady Kikyou's arrow also seemed to be filled with a special power,” the second soldier added.
“And, it was Kikyou who sealed Inuyasha in his own temple. That's something that some mikos are able to do,” Sango offered.
“May I be so bold as to ask where you learned to shoot a bow like that?” the first guard asked.
“Where I learned?” Kagome shook her head. “I've never held a bow in my hands until that day. I still can't believe I hit what I was aiming at.”
“You have no training?” The guards were astounded. “Perhaps it's a natural ability.”
“Well, I've been trained in a number of weapons. I know how to shoot a bow, but it's never been my weapon of choice,” the youkai exterminator explained. “I've seen my own people train with one, and I've never seen anyone who could hit their target on their first time shooting.”
“I have no idea how you did it, but the men and I…the pharaoh's private guard…wanted to present you with something,” the first guard said.
“You really don't need to.” The priestess blushed.
“It's not much, but we wanted you to have this.” The second soldier stepped forward and pulled something from behind his back. It was a bow and quiver of arrows. The bow was similar to the one Kagome had shot at the palace, except for being slightly longer and more ornate.
“I don't know what to say. I'm honored by the gift, but hardly deserving. As I said, I've never shot a bow before. I really don't even know how to handle one.”
“Excuse me for continuing to be too bold, but we would be happy to show you how to use it properly.”
“Actually, I think I'd like that,” the priestess said as she smiled at the guards. “If nothing else, it would give me something to do between my duties. I've never been much for the usual female hobbies.”
“Of course, my lady. All you need to do is tell use when you're ready and we'll set up a target for you to practice with.”
“Thank you.” Kagome's gaze traveled to the path that lead to the local town. A haze of dust and movement let her know they had visitors coming. “Right now I need to get back to the temple and attend to my duties.” The priestess began walking quickly towards the front of the temple. “Perhaps after lunch?”
The first soldier nodded. “Again, just let us know when. I'll work on getting a target set up for you in the meantime.”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Where were you?” Inuyasha growled softly when Kagome stepped into the cool, darkened interior of the temple.
“We went to bathe, and then stopped to talk to the soldiers by Kikyou's tomb on our way back.”
The deity gave Miroku a concerned look. “What were you talking to them about?”
“They wanted to give me a gift. That's all.” The priestess held out the bow.
“Feh, what kind of present is that to give you?”
“They were at the palace the day we destroyed Naraku. They wanted to express their thanks, that's all. They've even offered to teach me how to shoot it properly.”
“Can I shoot it, too?” Shippou appeared suddenly and tried to tug the bow from Kagome's hands.
“I'm not sure that's a good idea,” the priestess laughed as the kitsune freed the bow from the priestess' hand and fell backwards onto his backside. “It's a little big for you.”
Shippou stood up and rubbed his tail. “Maybe I can get a smaller one?”
“We'll see,” Kagome said as she took the bow from him. “Anyway, we need to get ready. We have company coming.”
“Damn it,” Inuyasha moaned. “Why can't we just put out one of the statues for them to worship? It wouldn't be any different than any other temple around here.”
“We'll be with you, Inuyasha. Besides, it's not that bad. These people have come to worship you.”
“They just better be gone before lunch gets here,” the hanyou said as he folded his arms across his chest and leaned against one of the ornate pillars that circled the room.
“Hello,” a soft voice said from the doorway.
The small group turned to face their first visitor.
“Kagura?” Inuyasha didn't try to hide his surprise.
“So, this is your temple,” the wind user said as she walked further into the room. “I've never seen the inside before.”
“Come in.” Kagome said with a slight wave of her hand.
Kagura shook her head. “I can't stay. I'm only here to deliver a message.”
“Message?” Inuyasha narrowed his eyes and studied the woman standing in the temple doorway. “What kind of message?”
“I was instructed to inform you that you should expect a visit from the new pharaoh very soon.”
“Just how soon is soon?” the hanyou hissed.
Kagome's eyes were wide with amazement. “Tell us about the new pharaoh. What is he like?”
“I relayed the message just how it was given to me. That's all I can say,” the wind user said as she turned to leave. She paused for a moment before turning back to face the confused group inside the temple. “It was you who destroyed Naraku and gained me my freedom. I owe you for that, and it's something I won't forget.”
“Why the hell won't you tell us about this new pharaoh?” Inuyasha took a step towards the wind user, but stopped when he felt Kagome's hand on his arm.
“I am merely following orders. I gave you the message exactly as I was told to. I'm not at liberty to say more.”
“Sounds like our new pharaoh isn't much better than Naraku,” Miroku interjected.
“Anyone would be better than Naraku,” Kagome countered. “I'm sure we'll find out everything we need to know when he arrives.”
Kagura nodded and studied the faces of the temple's occupants for a moment before turning again and walking out the door. She was gone.
“What the fuck was that all about?” Inuyasha demanded of nobody in particular.
“There's only been one pharaoh in power during my entire life, so I don't have any real experience with this,” Miroku started. “Perhaps he's just being a little mysterious to give himself a false sense of security.”
“What?” the deity looked confused.
“Well, normally the pharaoh has more power than anyone in the land, but we've never had an actual deity living here. Most have already moved on and simply leave their images and priests behind for their worshippers to pay homage to. Perhaps he's worried that his position will be overshadowed by your presence.”
“Then again, I've heard stories of pharaohs from before the time of Naraku,” Kagome added. “It's said that many tended to be rather eccentric. It's understandable, I guess, and besides, the new pharaoh is probably having to deal with the repercussions of what Naraku did.”
“Well, Kagura said we should expect the visit soon,” Miroku said with a slight shrug. “We'll be finding out soon enough.”
“Damn it,” Inuyasha snarled as he caught the sounds of people approaching the temple. “Looks like we have more company.”
The rest of the morning found the deity greeting visiting worshippers. His priest and priestess quickly took over, keeping things organized as small groups of people came into the temple to pay homage to the annoyed hanyou.
“Try to smile at the people, Inuyasha,” Kagome whispered to him whenever his patience began to wear thin. The morning dragged on, bringing with it more worshippers. Each brought an offering, and before long a large pile of items had sprung up next to where Inuyasha sat. As the sun climbed in the cloudless sky outside, the number of visitors began to decrease. Finally, the visiting priests arrived, accompanied by two boys from the village carrying their lunches.
“It appears things went well this morning,” the head priest said as he surveyed the large collection of items. “We brought your lunches.”
“So, should we expect any more worshippers today?” Miroku asked as he peeked into one of the clay pots the boys had placed on the low altar.
“That's it for today. We've been working to direct people out here only during the morning hours. That way, Inuyasha won't be overwhelmed.”
“Thank you. I'm sure our deity more than appreciates your efforts,” the priestess said as she moved to take out plates for their meal. “You will join us?”
“I'm afraid not,” the head priest said. “We need to get back to the town as soon as possible. The architects have arrived and we need to go over some things with them.”
“Architects?”
“Of course, with the additions to Kikyou's tomb and to the temple itself, there is much planning to be done.”
“Damn it,” Inuyasha growled. “Who ever said anything about additions to the temple?”
“That would be me,” Miroku interjected. “There have always been plans to expand on the existing building, but with you sealed and only one priest living on the premises, there was no real need to do the work.” The priest waved his hand to take in Kagome and the others. “With this many people living here now, it seemed appropriate to finally have the work completed.”
“And, just how long will this work take?”
“Actually, once the cut stones are all brought to the location, most of the work could be finished rather quickly,” the head priest explained. “It's the cutting of the stones that takes the longest time, and the workmen continued on them even after you were sealed, my lord. Lifting them into place will be the hardest part.”
“It'll take time to have them all hauled here, too,” Miroku added.
“We've sent for gardeners, too, so that the grounds can be landscaped, too.”
Inuyasha looked at Kagome and shook his head. The priestess looked happy at the prospect of a garden. “As long as it's what Kagome wants,” the deity said with a shrug. “And, I don't want to be disturbed with all the construction.”
“Well, there's bound to be some noise and such, but I'll be sure to instruct the builders to keep things as quiet as they can. Plus, they'll only work during the times of day you tell them to. If you only want them here in the mornings, then that's when they'll be here. It might take longer to complete the work this way, but of course, we want to be sure you're comfortable with what's going on.” The head priest looked at his underling, who had remained silent during the discussion. “I'm afraid we need to be going, though, but we'll be back tomorrow. I'll bring the architects with me so you can see the plans. You did approve them 50 years ago, but of course, you may want to change your mind about some things. No work will begin until we're sure you're happy with the plans.”
The group watched the visiting priests leave before moving to the small altar and dishing up their food. Before long, the only sound in the temple was the happy sounds of eating. When they finished their meal, Miroku moved to the main altar and disappearing from view as he ducked down behind it. The others could hear the rustle of scrolls as the priest tried to find what he was looking for. “Here they are,” he announced as he reemerged with an armful of dusty scrolls. “I'll get right to work on writing the text for Kikyou's tomb.”
“Can I watch?” Shippou said excitedly.
“I'm just going to be writing.”
“I know how to draw, but I never learned to write. I'd like to watch. Maybe I can learn some of it?”
“Sure,” the priest said with a shrug. “Just don't get in my way. You can bring me my writing things, if you want.”
Kagome glanced at the bow and arrows she had set aside earlier. “I think I'd like to see what I can do with this.”
“I'll come with you,” Sango offered as she followed the priestess into the sunlight outside.
Inuyasha went to the doorway and leaned against one side, appearing bored as he scanned the expanse of desert surrounding the temple.
The priestess moved to the deity's side and gave him a quick kiss. “You don't mind, do you?”
“Feh, there's nothing else to do around here. Go ahead.” Inuyasha watched the two young women disappears around the corner of the temple.
The two soldiers were just finishing their own lunches when the women approached.
“You offered to teach me how to shoot this,” Kagome said as she held out the bow.
“Of course, Lady Kagome,” the first soldier said. “I'd be honored.”
“By the way,” the priestess said shyly. “I feel funny not knowing your names.”
“Oh, a thousand pardons, my lady,” the first soldier said. “My given name is Hapu, and my comrade's name is Setne.”
“Hapu,” Kagome repeated. “Well, it's very nice to formally meet you. You won't mind me calling you by your name?”
“Of course, not, my lady,” Hapu said with a nervous laugh.
“And you should simply call me Kagome.”
“Are you sure that would be appropriate?”
“My name is Kagome. There's no reason you can't call me that.”
“Of course, my la… I mean, Kagome.” Hapu laughed nervously again. “I'd be honored to teach you how to use a bow. I've been trained in both the bow and the sword, but personally prefer the bow.”
“We've already set up a target for you to use.” Setne indicated a mound of sand with a piece of wood secured in front of it. On the wood was a series of concentric circles.
“And, you should wear this.” Hapu held out a small piece of leather. A long thong dangled from either side.
“What's that?” Sango inched closer and squinted at the palm-sized piece of skin.
“It's a wrist guard,” Hapu explained. “It will keep the bow string from hitting your wrist when you release the arrow.”
“Very interesting idea,” the youkai exterminator commented. “I've been struck by the bow myself and it can really sting.”
“If you don't mind, I can show you how to wear this.”
Kagome held out her hands, dropping her right one when Hapu carefully grasped her left wrist and placed the leather firmly against the inside of her wrist. He quickly wrapped the thongs around her wrist, securing them before letting go of her hand. “I hope I haven't made it too tight on you.”
The priestess rotated her wrist several times. “Feels fine.”
“Bring your bow and arrows,” Hapu instructed as he walked to a spot about 100 feet from the make-shift target.
Kagome joined him and waited for her instruction.
Sango jumped when Inuyasha spoke behind her. “What the hell is he doing to Kagome?”
Hapu had taken a stance behind Kagome and had placed his hands over hers, showing her how to hold the bow. He helped her place the notch of an arrow against the string and pull back. His body contacted Kagome's in an almost familiar way.
“Get away from her!” Inuyasha roared as he dashed out to where teacher and student stared at him in confusion.
“Hapu is teaching me how to shoot my bow,” Kagome explained.
“Well, he sure the hell can teach you without touching you like that!”
“A thousand pardons, my lord,” the now frightened soldier said in a subdued voice. “It is simply the way we teach young soldiers to use a bow.”
“Kagome's not a fucking soldier, and you shouldn't be touching her like that!” Inuyasha's voice shook with anger.
Sango glanced at Setne and nodded before sprinting out to where the others stood. “Perhaps you'd rather me teach Kagome the proper stance?” She looked hopefully at Inuyasha, hoping to defuse what could easily become a very serious situation.
“I'm sure Inuyasha will be all right with that,” the priestess said softly. She gave the deity a look, hoping to soften his anger.
“All right, but as long as Sango teaches you.” He turned and started walking back towards Setne. “I'll be watching from here.”
“I'm sorry, Hapu,” Kagome said with an understanding smile. “He's a bit possessive at times.”
“I am not possessive!”
“He also has extremely sensitive hearing.”
“I understand,” Hapu said with a bow. “I apologize. It was really my fault. I'm just so used to teaching the young soldiers that I never even gave a thought to…”
“It's all right.” The priestess turned to her friend. “So, would you show me the right way to hold this?”
Inuyasha watched from a distance, shaking his head when Kagome's first attempt fell 20 feet short of the target. She fired several more arrows, each one flying wild and landing in the sand to one side or the other of the target.
“You're not hitting it,” Inuyasha observed.
“I know,” Kagome said in confusion. “It seemed so easy that day.”
“That's because you didn't have any choice. You had to hit the target. If you had missed…” Sango said as she handed the priestess another arrow. “Sometimes we're able to do the impossible because we have no other choice.”
“So, you think it's impossible for me to hit the target?” Kagome joked.
“Of course not,” Sango laughed. “I just mean that the entire idea of a lucky shot or beginner's luck isn't so much luck as necessity.”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The afternoon wore on. Kagome remained determined to hit the target, and continued to get closer with each shot. After a time, the boys got bored of watching Miroku writing funny symbols on pieces of papyrus so they wandered outside and began to cheer Kagome on. Shippou began to retrieve the arrows for the priestess, making sure she had a steady supply.
“Aren't you done yet?” Inuyasha complained. He had finally sat down and the heat of the day was starting to get to him. “It's too hot out here.”
“Yeah, Kagome,” Shippou whined. “I want to go back inside.”
“Well, nobody said you had to stay out here,” the priestess complained.
“Maybe it's enough for one day,” Sango suggested. “After all, you're not used to shooting a bow, and I have a feeling you're going to be feeling this later.”
“All right,” Kagome said as she held out her empty quiver to Shippou. The kitsune scampered around the target area, picking up all the arrows. He stopped and stared at the target in amazement.
“You hit it!”
“What?” Sure enough, a single arrow had lodged itself into the wood of the target, just outside the largest circle.
“It must have been the last arrow you fired,” Sango laughed. “And, I think a good sign that you've done enough for one day.”
“You'll help me some more tomorrow?”
“Sure,” the youkai exterminator said as she motioned to Shippou and Kohaku to join her. The three walked ahead to the temple.
“Well, Hapu and Setne, I want to thank you again for the wonderful gifts. I really appreciate you wanting to teach me, too.”
The two soldiers glanced wearily at Inuyasha before nodding and accepting her thanks. “I'll be sure the target is set up for you again tomorrow,” Hapu said as Inuyasha motioned to Kagome to follow him to the temple.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The inside of the temple was cool and dim compared to the outside. Miroku had a number of scrolls spread out around him on the floor, and was writing on sheets of papyrus on his lap. He looked up and rubbed his eyes as the others came into the room.
“Looks like a good time to take a break,” the priest commented. He put aside his work and stood, taking a moment to stretch before joining the others. “So, what's up?”
“Kagome hit the target,” Shippou said excitedly.
“Oh.” Miroku looked at the others with a puzzled expression. “After the way she shot at the palace, why is that so surprising?”
Sango gave the priest a stern look and shook her head.
He took the cue and looked at the kitsune. “Hey, Shippou Did you want me to teach you some more letters?”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dinner arrived at the temple. After the food was gone and the plates cleaned and put away, Kagome pulled out a small wooden table and asked Kohaku if he'd like to play a game of Hounds and Jackals. Miroku called Inuyasha over to his work area and spread out the text he had completed, explaining what he'd already worked out and getting approval from the deity. Shippou curled up on Sango's lap and before long fell asleep, his role of arrow retriever finally taking its toll.
“Ouch,” Kagome squealed when she moved her right arm too far.
“You're sore, aren't you,” Sango asked from her position under the dozing kitsune.
“Just a little, I guess,” the priestess lied. She had been so determined to master her bow and arrow that she had taken little heed of the strain on her arms and shoulders. The sun had added to the problem by scorching her skin, deepening the sunburn she had received only days before.
“You need to go to bed,” Inuyasha ordered as he moved to latch the heavy wooden doors of the temple. He dropped the locking bar into place and turned to give the priestess a stern look.
“I'm not tired, and besides, it's still early,” Kagome complained.
“I'll rub some of that oil onto your shoulders and you can get some sleep.”
“Inuyasha, I really don't need…”
“Am I going to have to order you?”
“Sorry, Kohaku,” the priestess said as she pushed herself to her feet. She hadn't realized just how sore she was until she started to move. “We can finish playing tomorrow, okay?”
“Sure, Kagome,” the boy said. He looked up in surprise when Miroku took Kagome's place.
“I'll finish out this game with you, if you don't have any objections.”
Inuyasha tapped his foot. “Do I need to carry you?” His expression softened when Kagome looked at him. He could see in her eyes just how sore and tired she was. Before the priestess could react, he had scooped her into his arms and carried her to their room.
“Oh, and Shippou, you say out of here,” he called out to the kitsune.
“What? Kagome!” His whines never made it to Kagome's ears. Inuyasha had quickly pushed through the door and placed her gently on the bed. He opened her wooden trunk and took out an ornate vial of scented oil.
“Is this one all right?”
“That one's fine, Inuyasha. But, really, I can do this myself.”
“I know you can,” the hanyou said with a mischievous smile. “I like to rub this on you.”
Kagome let the straps of her gown fall, revealing her red and overworked shoulders. The deity poured some of the cool oil onto one of his palms and rubbed his hands together before gently rubbing Kagome's back. The priestess winced when he accidentally rubbed too hard.
“Sorry.” Inuyasha continued to coat Kagome's skin with the lightly scented oil. It's scent mingled with hers, and he found himself wishing she was up to something more.
“I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you again tonight,” Kagome said softly, as though she had read his mind.
“You never disappoint me.”
“But…”
“Just relax.” Inuyasha continued to carefully massage the oil into Kagome's silken skin. He could feel her relaxing under his touch - her breathing coming softer and more evenly until he could tell she had fallen asleep. He carefully lifted the straps from her gown and positioned them on her shoulders before pulling a soft sheet over her.
“I'll be in the other room,” he murmured as he leaned over and kissed her lightly on her lips. He tucked the sheet around her before heading out into the other room.
Everything was quiet. Kohaku had moved to join Shippou, who was sleeping contentedly on the cushions of their bed. The kitsune snored softly as he clutched a toy to him while he slept.
Miroku was stacking the scrolls onto the shelves behind the main altar. He gave Sango a knowing look before standing and stretching.
The priest yawned loudly. “It's getting late. I'm going to get some sleep.”
Sango blushed and glanced at Inuyasha, who didn't seem to notice what was going on. “Sounds like a good idea. The boys are both asleep already, too.” She made a big production of pulling out her cot and getting it ready for the night.
“Damn it, just go on. You think I don't know where you're really going to sleep?”
The youkai exterminator blushed heavily and averted her eyes. “I don't know what you mean.”
“I can hear everything that goes on around here.”
“Everything?” Sango gulped nervously before looking towards Miroku's room. The priest stood in the doorway. He smiled at her.
“Might as well just come in now,” he said with a glint in his eyes.
“Oh!” Sango whispered before clutching the front of her robe to her and scurrying off to join Miroku.
Inuyasha glanced around the main chamber, making sure that everything was as it should be. He turned and went back to his room.
The deity dozed for a short while in his bed, making sure he didn't press up against Kagome. She was sleeping restlessly as it was, despite his efforts with the oil. Her overworked muscles needed a deeper massage, but her sunburned skin made that impossible. He could only hope she would sleep through the night.
Once again, the sounds of the night filtered in to him. The two soldiers - what had they said their names were, Hapu and Setne? - were joking around their fire. After a while, even the soldiers became quiet as one went to sleep and the other took the first watch.
Inuyasha allowed himself to doze for a time, only to wake suddenly. He focused his senses on the sounds and scents of the night, not finding anything out of the ordinary. He was ready to go back to sleep with a howl broke the silence of the night. It was answered by a second howl.
The deity leapt lightly to the rafters above him and pushed aside the stone slab. He climbed onto the roof and waited, but there were no more howls. After a few minutes he lowered himself to sit cross-legged on the flat surface, determined to figure out just where the sounds were coming from. He could gauge the approximate direction, but without more howls, he had no idea just how close they were to the temple.
Appearing more like one of his carved statues than a being of flesh and blood, Inuyasha remained motionless through the night - waiting for something that never came.