InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ The 500 Year Engagement - Sharks, Dogs and a Determined Miko ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement
Sharks, Dogs and a Determined Miko
By Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.
 
 
If anyone had observed Mr. Sato's boat on the way back to its home port, they might have wondered about the disposition of the people in it. Specifically, they might have thought it odd that while two figures conversed in the back, eleven others cowered in the front.
 
Even Mr. Sato was feeling intimidated…and he considered himself to be pretty tough. But then again, wasn't he already headed for home with his tail between his legs?
 
Still, he had always found that coming on strong was best. And this was getting so crazy, it felt safer to fall back on old habits. “It's nice of you to offer, pal, but I can take care of my own problems.”
 
The shark/man's answer was an eerie, gurgling laugh. You've got youkai problems now, Mr. ?”
 
“Sato. Mr. Sato, to you. And you are?”
 
“You may call me `Kano.' Yes, that would be fine.”
 
“Mr. Kano.”
 
“Just `Kano,' if you please.”
 
Katashi gave Kano a sour look. “The truth is, Kano, that I've come to an accord with Mr. Sesshoumaru, his brother and that damned girl. We will be staying out each other's way.”
 
“I am impressed, Mr. Sato.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Not many survive a confrontation with Lord Sesshoumaru and live. Lord Sesshoumaru's brother is InuYasha. And InuYasha had what looked like a young girl with him? A miko?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“That would have been Kagome.”
 
“Yeah. According to her school records, she's sixteen, although she's got a phony driver's license that says she's twenty-three.”
 
“She's over five hundred.”
 
“They call me perverted just `cause I like young girls, but…huh?”
 
“She and InuYasha and her friends were the ones who defeated Naraku during the Sengoku Jidai. Kagome is the one who purified the Shikon no Tama, supposedly causing it to disappear from this world, although there is another rumor about what happened to it.”
 
Katashi snorted. “I have no desire to listen to children's stories.”
 
Kano grinned and the toothy sight was most unsettling. `You mean that having met a tai-youkai, his brother, and the most powerful miko of all time…and now that you are talking with me…you believe that all those stories are fairy tales?”
 
Mr. Sato stared at Kano for a moment. “You've got a point. Alright, what happened to it?”
 
“The rumor is that it is back inside Kagome.” Kano's expression turned serious. “We sea youkai only heard rumors, yet we've pieced together the story over the centuries. We know that Kagome was born in this time but, somehow, managed to travel back five hundred years, where she met InuYasha. Soon after that, the jewel was torn from her body and shattered. However, once the shards were all recovered and the jewel reassembled, with Naraku being defeated in the process, the priestess found that, as the embodiment of evil in this world, it could not be destroyed, but only controlled.
 
“Reluctantly, she took the jewel back into her own body. Then, as she was soon mated to InuYasha, she came to share his life span and is now the eternal guardian of the jewel.”
 
“An interesting story, Kano, but what does it have to do with me? As you yourself pointed out, Lord Sesshoumaru and his family are not to be trifled with.” Katashi noticed that Kano seemed to be pondering something. “Kano?”
 
“If I ate Kagome, I would absorb the jewel and become the most powerful youkai of all.”
 
Mr. Sato slumped back when Kano didn't answer right away. He recalled Lord Sesshoumaru standing over him, his saliva melting the rocks and releasing toxic gas, and Kagome's assurances that the beast would eat him if he persisted. “No, I don't think I want to be involved in some war between the sea youkai and the land youkai.”
 
Kano looked up and grinned. “I don't think you have any choice in the matter, Mr. Sato.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“What is that, Kagome?”
 
Kagome looked where the taijiya was pointing. InuYasha was with them, having joined them when they let Shippo off on the island. As she watched, the speck rapidly got larger. “Crap.”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Offhand, I'd say its an F-15 out of Chitose Air Base.”
 
“A what?”
 
“They probably caught us on radar `cause I was too stupid to have Kirara fly low.” Fortunately they were only a short distance from the coast. Kagome pointed. “Tell Kirara to drop down to tree level and fly low through that valley.”
 
Sango had no idea what an F-15, an air base or radar was, but she trusted Kagome. She directed Kirara down into the valley.
 
 
******************
 
 
“The target has disappeared from radar. Do you see it?”
 
“Hai.”
 
“Describe the target.”
 
“Do I have to?”
 
There was a long pause. “That's an order. Describe the target.”
 
“Target is a large cat with huge fangs and fire coming from each paw and its tail. There are two very pretty girls riding on it. There is also a young man with long white hair, wearing a red kimono and waving what looks like a huge katana.”
 
There was a longer pause. “Return to base and report for psych evaluation.”
 
“Damn.” He had to think fast. “Target seems to be an escaped balloon display, perhaps from a manga convention. It is settling to earth, now.” Well, at least that last bit was true. He didn't bother adding that the one girl had her arms wrapped around the figure in red and seemed to be arguing with him.
 
There was another pause. “Return to base.”
 
The pilot's father had almost gotten himself washed out during the UFO craze. He wasn't going to let that happen to him!
 
He took one more look at the “balloon” and turned for home.
 
 
******************
 
 
Now that they had reached the mainland, they weren't that far from where they had parked. It was a half hour's walk, five minutes if they rode Kirara.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Yes, Sango?”
 
“What's an F-15?”
 
“An F-15 is a flying military machine that has guns and rockets. Think of Ginkotsu coming at you from the air. An air base is the home of the flying machines, and radar tells the people at the air base when there are things flying in the air. They get nervous when they see something bigger than a large bird and don't know what it is.”
 
“So if we flew on Kirara again, they might see us?”
 
“Yeah. Well, it kind of depends on how high you go.”
 
Sango glanced towards the sky. “Let's keep walking.”
 
InuYasha finally spoke up. “You should have let me…”
 
“No, I shouldn't have, InuYasha.” Kagome stepped in front of the hanyou and stopped him with a hand to his chest. “I realize you're just trying to protect me, but bringing down a jet from the JASDF would have raised questions, don't you think?”
 
“Aww, I was just gonna scare him off.”
 
“Let's see. They fire heat-seeking rockets. Kirara's paws and her tail have flame on them. Now, what might have happened?”
 
InuYasha just stared at her.
 
“I'll tell you what might have happened. If that pilot had fired, Kirara might have gotten a rocket up her…well, you get the idea!”
 
“Feh.”
 
The three (plus Kirara in kitten form) found the road and followed it to where they had parked at a rest stop. Lord Sesshoumaru's car was already gone.
 
While Kagome and Sango retrieved a bag from the car and went into the facility so Sango could change, the hanyou strapped Hiraikotsu to the car's rack and fastened a cover over it. To anyone who didn't look too closely, it was luggage…or possibly even a surf board.
 
Sango was about halfway done changing when InuYasha's voice rang out. “Oh no he didn't!”
 
“Finish changing. I'd better see what this is about.” Kagome walked outside. “Okay, what did your brother do this time?”
 
“I gave my keys to him to hold for me when we were on the island, and I forgot to get `em back. I didn't worry `cause I figured he'd just leave `em in the car or something. Instead, he left this.” InuYasha handed the note he had found to Kagome. “Read.”
 
“If you want to find your keys, remember how dogs mark trees?” She looked up at InuYasha. “You don't mean…”
 
“Yeah. That's how I'm supposed to find `em.” The hanyou looked around disgustedly. “Problem is, the bastard marked a lot of the trees around here.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Finding the keys had taken less time than they thought, thanks to Kirara. After jumping from tree to tree for an hour and not finding anything, InuYasha was annoyed when the fire neko strolled under the car and batted the keys out from behind the left rear wheel.
 
“Feh. He thinks he's so clever.”
 
The rest of the trip back to the shrine was uneventful, except for occasional mutterings of “just you wait” and “he'd better watch his back” from an angry hanyou. Kagome almost took over the driving, but decided that would just cause more trouble.
 
 
******************
 
 
“We're back!” Kagome closed the door behind herself and Sango. InuYasha was taking the car to a parking garage a few blocks down.
 
“In the kitchen!”
 
“Okay, Mama.”
 
Just after the two girls sat down at the kitchen table, Miroku and Sota came in the back door. “So, La…Kagome. How did everything go?”
 
Kagome smiled. She had been trying to get the monk to quit using so many honorifics. “I think we scared Mr. Sato enough that he won't bother us again. I mean, unless he's completely crazy.”
 
InuYasha came in and joined them in the kitchen. “I think you're right, Kagome. Did you see Sato's knees shaking when Sesshy turned into his true form and threatened to eat him?”
 
“I thought you were still mad at him over the keys.”
 
“Don't worry. I'll get him back.”
 
“You should have seen it, Miroku!” said Sango. “The island was small, but there was a spot in the center where it looked - umm - I mean, if you walked into it, it got bigger. Hmmm. I guess you got smaller, and…”
 
“You've seen it before,” said Kagome.
 
“The sage's village,” said Miroku. “You can do that?”
 
“One of the advantages of living so long, I guess: you learn a lot more. Yeah, I can do that. I've done it a few times.”
 
“Fascinating. Just how many of these miniature worlds are there?
 
“Six that I'll admit to. Five are on small islands. There is one on our estate. That's probably the biggest one.” Kagome giggled. “The biggest one, get it?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“The five on islands are pretty much youkai preserves. Shippo lives on the one we visited. He and his wife are actively rebuilding Japan's kitsune population.” Kagome giggled again. “I forgot to ask him how many he was up to.”
 
“How many, Lady Kagome? How many what?”
 
“Feh. Don't ask.”
 
“It's okay, InuYasha.” Kagome turned back to Miroku. “How many `pups,' as InuYasha puts it. It was a running joke that there was a competition between us over who could produce more.”
 
There was a gasp and everyone looked over to see Mama Higurashi holding her hand in front of her face and blushing.
 
“Sota, it's time for you to go to bed.”
 
“But why, Mama? It was just getting interesting.”
 
“GO!”
 
“Awwwwww.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome finished setting the alarm and crawled into bed. “InuYasha, I've been thinking.”
 
“I'm in trouble.”
 
Kagome turned over to face her mate. “Why?”
 
“Any time you think…”
 
“Ha-ha.”
 
“So what have you been thinking about?”
 
“Another baby.”
 
“Now???”
 
“Why not? Sango's expecting already and if we did it now, the kids could grow up together.”
 
“We haven't had kids in years. Decades.”
 
“But that was `cause we didn't know what would happen if we got to the time when I was actually living.”
 
InuYasha's golden eyes just stared at her.
 
“Okay, it's confusing to me, too. The problem was that we didn't know if we'd wind up frozen in time or something…and then what would have happened to any young kids, or babies, we had? So we moved to the northwestern US, and nothing bad happened…except you had to go out on romps, scare a bunch of campers, and they're still trying to get pictures of you over there.”
 
“Feh.”
 
Both InuYasha and Kagome giggled over that one.
 
Kagome finally recovered. “Besides, it fits in with my thoughts about you and I going ahead and getting married with Miroku and Sango.”
 
“Keh. I'll think about it.”
 
“What's the matter with you? Is your nose broken?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“What do you smell?”
 
“What do you think? My brother's piss.”
 
Kagome stared at her mate for a second; then grinned. “Okay, I should have known. But what do you smell about me that just started tonight?” Kagome pulled a little away from InuYasha and used one hand to fan the air between them upwards.
 
InuYasha sniffed. “You're…in heat.”
 
Kagome smiled and snuggled in again. “Yup, and not only do I like the idea of being pregnant at the same time as Sango, but I think it's high time we gave Mama some grandchildren she can play with!”
 
“I thought you still wanted to finish…uhhhh.” InuYasha stopped thinking when Kagome took the matter into her own hands. When he recovered a semblance of rationality, he found himself poised over his mate and being guided into her by gentle, incredibly erotic hands.
“…still wanted to finish high school.” InuYasha shook his head to clear it slightly. He noted the red flecks building in his mate's eyes. Kagome's youkai blood was surfacing. “You do seem determined.”
 
Kagome looked up and grinned, showing that she now had prominent fangs. Her voice had become somewhat husky and filled with desire. She wrapped her legs firmly around InuYasha. “It's time.”
 
InuYasha pulled up ever so slightly. He had to be careful. “What if I think that maybe you're tired now, and not thinking too clearly, and that maybe I should choose to wait until…”
 
“Look into my eyes. Do I look like I want to wait?”
 
InuYasha looked. Solid red. “Uh-oh.” His eyes widened.
 
“I don't think you have any choice in the matter…mate.”
 
Kagome pulled with her legs.
 
“KEH!”
 
 
******************
 
 
“You look chipper, today,” said Rin as she sat at her desk next to Kagome's. Math class wouldn't start for another few minutes. “Fluffy told me about what happened…and thanks.”
 
“No problem. You know that.”
 
“Yeah. Thanks, anyway, though.” Rin watched Kagome closely. “Really, what's gotten into you?”
 
“InuYasha. Several times.”
 
“Ohh-h-h.” Rin raised her brow knowingly. “So that's what you've been up to.”
 
“Class!”
 
Everyone turned towards the sensei.
 
“We have another visitor, today,” announced the teacher. “Another Higurashi. A cousin, I understand.” He turned and nodded towards the girl, who nodded back politely. “If we do not watch ourselves, we will soon be inundated by Higurashis.”
 
Everyone laughed politely at the sensei's little joke.
 
“Hai. My name is Midori and my parents have just moved here.”
 
Both Kagome and Rin were surprised. “Midori?”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome found herself seated between Rin and Midori. Midori was doing her best to whisper, but the girl was getting frustrated.
 
“What are you up to, mother? Rumor has it that you're trying to get pregnant again.”
 
“Mm-hmm.”
 
“WHAT?” That was Rin, on her other side.
 
“Shhh! Shh! Shhhhhhhhh!” That was the whole class.
 
“You've been talking with your dad.” Kagome paused. “I didn't think he'd be up this early. I kept him pretty busy last night.”
 
“MOM!”
 
“Shhh! Mom? Huh? Shhhhhhhh! What gives?” This time even the sensei glared at them, but let it pass…barely.
 
“Tell me you're using something, mother.”
 
“I'm using a barrier.”
 
“Ohh-h.” Midori sat back, head tilted back, shoulders slumping. “Thank the kamis.”
 
Kagome still had an odd, faraway smile. “Yeah, I'm using a barrier inside me to keep everything…together.”
 
Midori could swear she felt her eyes crossing. “Mother-r-r…”
 
All of a sudden, Kagome looked like a soccer fan at the World Cup watching the winning shot develop. Suddenly her smile got huge and she stood up and thrust her fist into the air. “YES!”
 
There was a sudden flurry of gesticulations combined with wild babbling. By the time the girls realized that the rest of the room had fallen into a dead silence, it was too late.
 
“Kagome.”
 
Kagome looked up to find the sensei looming over them. “Ulp.”
 
“Why don't the three of you take it outside?”
 
“You're taking it very well, sensei.”
 
“OUT!”
 
 
******************
 
 
After a visit to the assistant principal, who wondered aloud if it hadn't been easier when Kagome was sick from school more than half the time, the girls had been told to go to lunch and then go back to class. At lunch, they elected to sit outside so they could talk.
 
Rin took Kagome's hand. “So you're really pregnant again? After all these years? And just then?”
 
Kagome nodded a smiling “yes” to all three questions.
 
“Show off,” said Midori, a little petulantly. “I couldn't do that.”
 
“Sure you could,” said Kagome. “Want me to teach you?”
 
“I'm not sure I want to get pregnant right away, thank you, Mother.”
 
“You can use it not to get pregnant, too. Your dad and I weren't sure what would happen if we made it to this time.” Kagome held up her hand. “I know it's confusing. Anyway, we decided that I shouldn't get pregnant…so we didn't abandon any kids, or babies…so we needed a method that would really work. See, since your daddy's a hanyou, his sperm don't die off till his human night. Now, imagine walking around for a couple of weeks knowing that, even if you don't have sex, one of those little buggers could…”
 
“Mommm.”
 
“It's really just a matter of whether you use the barrier to keep things out…or keep things in.” Kagome gave a “fake evil” smile. “And that egg wasn't getting away!”
 
“MOM!”
 
Rin was rolling. “I'm glad I'm mated to a full youkai.”
 
“Hey! What's that supposed to mean?”
 
“Calm down, Kagome.” Rin rubbed tears of laughter out of her eyes. “Male full youkai can control when they're fertile. Well, most of the time, anyway. That's all I meant.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“Well, mother.” Midori had noticed Hojo walking towards them. “I was going to set this up a little better, but I guess I should rush ahead with it…sort of like you did.”
 
Hojo stopped when he reached the girls. “Kagome?”
 
Both Kagome and Midori answered, “Yes?”
 
“Huh?” Hojo looked back and forth at the two girls. They looked remarkably alike.
 
“Y-You're cousins, right?”
 
Kagome and Midori looked at each other. “Yes.” Midori continued, “But I have a confession to make.”
 
“Yes?” Hojo was really confused now. The two girls standing in front of him were almost identical. Midori's hair color was a shade lighter, but - aside from that - she had the same great legs and unbelievably nice breas… “NO! Mustn't think like a hentai! Bad Hojo! Bad Hojo!”
 
“Bend down. I have to whisper it to you.”
 
“Okay.”
 
When Hojo finished bending down so it would be easy for Midori to whisper into his ear, she did something entirely unexpected. She kissed him…on the lips…for a long time. When she finally pulled away, she whispered, “Who do I remind you of?”
 
“Kagome.” Hojo shook his head. “I mean…” The poor boy looked utterly confused.
 
“Kagome has a secret boyfriend and didn't want to two-time him, so I volunteered to take her place at the dance.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“And if it's alright with you, I'd like to go out again.”
 
“Uhhhh…I mean…ummmmm…”
 
Midori commented to the other girls. “You know, he's kind of cute when he's acting dumb.”
 
Rin giggled. “Hey, Kagome. Didn't you say that was one of the things that attracted you to InuYasha?”
 
Kagome smiled dreamily as Midori and Hojo made plans for the weekend. She knew what her daughter was doing, and really appreciated it, but her first thought was of her new baby.
 
 
******************
 
 
Mr. Sato remained seated while his men tied the boat to the dock. He watched as the ten men scurried away as quickly as possible, probably vowing never to go near the sea again.
 
After what they had seen, he could hardly blame them. On the other hand, avoiding the sea would be hard to do on an island nation.
 
He got up and out of the boat. Watching Kano grab a little snack on the way out (one more of his men, naturally) had been a little nerve wracking for him, too.
 
Mr. Sato stood on the dock and looked out over the water. “What have you gotten yourself into, Katashi?” He remembered when he was a kid and his parents wanted him to grow up to take over the family seafood business. Mr. Sato snorted.
 
 
 
 
A/N: Looks like the conflict will continue (and Mr. Sato may be in a whole lot deeper than he wants). Aside from that, dogs will be dogs, we find out a little more of what Kagome's been up to over the years, and - speaking of Kagome - it seems she's ready to start presenting Mama with some fresh grandchildren.
 
On a personal note, I apologize for the delay in getting this new chapter out. I was ill for a week, but am better now. Thank you for your understanding.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks! Oh, and again, more reviews = more inspiration for new chapters.