InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ Preparations ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement

Preparations

By Majicman55

Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.

Again, I apologize for taking so long to get back to this.

This story was started before I saw the final season, so I guess it's not really a continuation, anymore. I've decided not to re-categorize it, though. Please excuse me if I have to shed a bit of rust.

I would appreciate any reviews.

Kagome awoke from one of her most restful nights of sleep in a couple of centuries…and that was saying something, considering the nature of her family and considering the fact that there was a shark youkai after her because the creature thought she still had the Shikon no Tama.

She grimaced at the thought and carefully proceeded to extricated herself from InuYasha's embrace. Not that she had any illusion that she could get up without waking him. She just wanted to be considerate. The next couple of days (especially the wedding day) were likely to be chaotic and she wanted her hanyou to be as well-rested as possible. She used the connection between them to reassure her mate that he could continue to rest, but that she was ready to get up.

After a few moments to clean up, she proceeded downstairs, where she found Mama Higurashi making breakfast in the kitchen. Kagome smiled as she remembered how her mother had always gotten up early to make sure that she and Souta had a good breakfast before leaving for school…when she wasn't back in the Sengoku Jidai and could actually go to school.

“Would you like something to eat, dear?” asked Mama.

Kagome nodded and sat down after her mother refused her offer to help.

While her mother cooked, Kagome thought about how she had carried on the tradition with her own children, once there were real schools for them to go to. No matter how busy she had gotten with her duties as a miko, she had always put her family first. She smiled when she recalled how she and InuYasha had started out living in Kaede's village…which was, of course, an agrarian society…and that meant they had gotten up with the chickens. In a rural village of that era, day started at daybreak, if not before.

But there was no television back then or other things that kept one up late - aside from things like helping with a birth or sitting up with a sick villager or fending off attacks by bandits or the occasional youkai - which meant that at least generally she and InuYasha would up go to bed early. After Miroku and Sango had disappeared, she and InuYasha had turned even more to each other - which had resulted in many children.

Building their family had kept her happy, and sane.

Indeed, having all those “pups” was one of the things that had led her and InuYasha to wonder if something really had changed about her.

After Kagome gave birth, she recovered in an inordinately short time. It wasn't just that she would be up and about after a single day, although that was the case. There was the disquieting fact that her body returned to its pre-pregnancy, girlish condition within a week.

Not that InuYasha complained about that.

But then she discovered that she would dry up and lose her ability to nurse their children if she didn't do it for more than a day or two.

In some ways, things went too fast. In others…

Something was keeping her young.

It had taken her years to figure it out. But with (literally) all the time in the world, she finally had. She rested one hand on her belly and reached inward with her miko senses. There were two, not one.

“Thinking about your baby, Kagome?”

Kagome looked up. “You don't know the half of it, Mama.”

Mama Higurashi picked up a plate and returned to the stove where she dished out her daughter's breakfast.

Kagome looked back down to her belly. With all that time and study, she had not only realized what had happened to her, but had also made herself into the most powerful miko in history. Neither Kikyo nor even Midoriko could have held a candle to her. But she didn't crave power for power's sake…and never would. That was a trap she would never fall into.

Her thoughts were jostled back to the present as Mama placed her dish before her. “Would you like some orange juice?”

“Tea, Mama.” Kagome smiled as she thought about telling Mama about how good she had it as she didn't have to get up with the cock's crow, but decided against it. “Arigatou.”

“Your `rehearsal' is today.” Mama placed a cup in front of Kagome; then poured her tea. “I hope I can remember all that you want me to do, here.”

“We're sorry you have to be involved in this.”

Kagome turned and looked behind her to find InuYasha walking into the kitchen. She frowned. “I thought I told you to get more sleep.”

“Keh. You might've worn me out last night, but you know from experience how fast I recover.” The hanyou wondered why Kagome was glaring at him; then looked up to find Mama blushing a pretty shade of red. “Oi. So that's where she gets it.”

“Try to show a bit more decorum, InuYasha.” Kagome turned back towards her mother. “Sorry.”

“It's quite alright, dear. Perhaps InuYasha has worked up an appetite and would like some breakfast.” Mama opened the refrigerator to get out some more eggs; then cracked them into the pan and turned the burner back on.

“I knew there was a reason I liked your mother.”

Kagome was doing her best not to laugh. “Don't encourage him, Mama.”

“It's nothing, dear. I remember what it's like to be newlyweds.”

“But, Mama, we've been together for over five hundred…”

“I know that,” replied Mama. “Sometimes it's hard for me to imagine it and sometimes I like to pretend that you're still my little girl.” Mama paused. “But I do think it's wonderful that you and InuYasha have kept that…spark.”

Kagome remembered that her mother and father had only a few years together and a wave of guilt washed over her. “Mama.”

“Did I say how much I like your mother?”

Kagome looked up at her mate and grinned. These days, InuYasha sometimes said just the right thing.

******************

“Yeah, yeah. They're still rehearsin'.” Mr. Sato looked through his field glasses again from his perch on a roof half a block from the shrine. The part of the shrine grounds where the wedding would take place (and where the supposed rehearsal was going on) was enclosed within a large tent. In reality, all he could see was the shadows of the participants as they moved around inside.

He knew that Kagome and InuYasha were there because he'd see them walking between the tent and the house…although there had been one occasion when he could have sworn Kagome had a bushy tail. That bothered him and he grumbled as he thought about it. These days, it was tough to know what was your imagination and what was real. He decided not to mention it to Kano. The shark youkai would probably put it down to his drinking and threaten him yet again.

Mr. Sato took another pull from his flask, got out his cell phone and raised the glasses again just as his call was answered. “They're still at it. They've been rehearsing for hours.”

******************

Down below in the passageway into the tent, Shippou was remonstrating with one of his great-great kits. “You've got to keep your concentration!” He slapped a particular leaf onto his forehead and called out, “Transform!”

“I don't see the difference,” the younger kitsune protested.

Shippou/Kagome turned halfway around. “What don't you see?”

The younger fox blushed. “A…tail?”

“That's right. You've got to concentrate!” Shippou watched as the younger fox started to bring his own leaf up and slapped it out of his hand. “Not now, baka! There can't be two Kagomes.”

“Oh. Right.”

Shippou groaned. This was starting to feel like herding cats. But he'd do anything for Kagome, and even for InuYasha.

******************

It hadn't been difficult for Kagome, InuYasha, Miroku and Sango to leave the shrine. After they had confirmed that there were no actual youkai watching the shrine, they had used the delivery of tables and chairs from storage to slip away. One set of kitsune disguised as workers carried some tables and chairs in. InuYasha and Kagome's group, also disguised as workers, left in the delivery truck.

With their “shadows” in the tent keeping their watcher's attention, it went smoothly. Now everyone was gathered in a conference room within the corporate headquarters of Sesshoumaru's Secret.

Even Myouga was present. The old flea was the first to speak.

“Lord InuYasha.” The full-youkai flea drew himself up to his full stature as the hanyou's one and only retainer. “If, as I suspect, this Kano believes that Kagome has the Shikon no Tama, do you not think it foolhardy to place your mate within his grasp?”

The old flea was concerned about the plan to deal with these youkai of the sea within a human wedding ceremony. In the flea's opinion, there was too much that could go wrong. If Kagome should fall into that youkai's hands!

“Feh! Kagome can handle it.”

“But, InuYasha,” objected Sango. “We know Kagome is a powerful miko. The final battle with Naraku proved that. But you can't risk her like this!”

Kagome put her hand on Sango's shoulder in reassurance. “This morning, Mama talked about how she still liked to think of me as her little girl.” The miko smiled, but then turned serious and looked the taijiya straight in the eyes. “I am not that little girl.”

Sango hadn't had a chance to fully reconcile her memory of Kagome with this new version. Before she had a chance to recover fully, Miroku spoke. “Lady Kagome is right, dear Sango. Mysterious are the ways of Buddha. We, but a short time ago were in our own time. Now we are in this time, but we must remember that it has been five hundred years for Kagome and InuYasha.” He bowed slightly to Kagome. “Who knows how powerful our friend has become in that time?”

“Hn. This Sesshoumaru would not want to fight her head on.” The Great Lord of the Western Lands (and Lord of Lingerie) regarded the miko with obvious respect. “Centuries ago I would have snatched her arrow from mid-air and turned it to dust. Now…it would cost me my arm, again.”

“I would never do that to you,” objected the miko.

“You could shoot him in the ass, maybe.”

“InuYasha!” snapped Kagome.

“Okay, okay.” InuYasha and Sesshoumaru glowered at each other while the monk and taijiya looked on.

Kagome sighed. “Some things never change.”

There was a loud electronic screech followed by Myouga's amplified voice. “Come to the table, already!” While the flea youkai had kept up with modern developments like sound systems, he was too small to hold a microphone properly, and the result was some loud feedback. While it only bothered the humans, it left the Inu-youkai cringing.

“If you do that again, this Sesshoumaru will see if you can still use that microphone internally.” The Daiyoukai finally found the old flea cowering behind the microphone. “Does this Sesshoumaru make himself clear?”

“Perfectly.” Myouga looked up to see the Staff of Two Heads poking over the edge of the table, pointing at him. He could not see Jaken, but could hear the retainer's anticipatory chuckle.”

“Sesshoumaru?” That girl's voice held a warning.

The Great Lord of the Western Lands found Rin glaring at him. “Do not fry the flea, Jaken.”

“M'lord?” The kappa was clearly disappointed. There had never been any love lost between Jaken and Myouga, as evidenced by the fact that the flea wouldn't even consider taking blood from the kappa.

Myouga continued. “If everyone could return to the table.” He waited till everyone sat. “As you can see, a great deal of effort has been put into creating an exact miniature of the inside of the wedding tent…”

******************

It was the end of the afternoon when the last truck pulled up in front of the Higurashi Shrine. Four workers got out. Two of them carried a large table into the tent, while the two remaining each took a box. Four workers left the tent and got in the truck, which then drove away.

Shippou cursed under his breath as he realized that one of the workers had a tail. He would really have to talk with that kitsune, later. He could only hope that the lack of concentration wouldn't cost them dearly.

He needn't have worried. Mr. Sato had gotten quite inebriated and was now seeing tails on everyone he looked at.

Inside the “tent,” Kagome regarded the work done for them by Shippou's family. As designed, the very front area was set with tables and chairs for their guests. To the side were tables ready for the caterers. To the back were the tables for the guests of honor and their families.

Behind them…

Kagome wondered how their antagonists would react to that.

Miroku, who had been in the sage's box garden, looked on with obvious appreciation. “Remarkable, Kagome.”

“How is this possible?” Sango stood beside Miroku, mouth agape. “How can this be here?”

“I told you. I'm not that little girl, anymore.”

******************

Within the Higurashi living room, a family council of war had commenced.

Aside from Kagome, InuYasha, Miroku and Sango, there were Mama Higurashi, Souta and Kagome's ji-chan. Kagome's daughter, Midori, was also there, along with a couple of Midori's children. These and several more of Midori's children would be serving as wedding guests, along with several more of InuYasha and Kagome's great-great-great…

It kind of embarrassed Kagome how many “greats” there were.

But they couldn't put human guests in danger, so the guest list was what it was. Fortunately, Kagome didn't have many relatives from her original family, at least not close ones. InuYasha's relatives weren't a problem (aside from how the hanyou and Sesshoumaru got along at times). And Miroku and Sango might possibly have relatives somewhere, but it would take a genealogist to find them.

Kagome was pondering her biggest problem for the wedding. “I cannot keep youkai from being sensed by other youkai.” She paused to let that sink in. “My concealment spells are strong enough to keep a sensitive human from feeling youkai, but they just won't keep youkai from sensing other youkai.

“However, I believe that it won't be a problem.”

“Keh?” InuYasha looked to his mate.

“This shark youkai is a bit like Naraku. He has too much pride in his own ability. This seems to be a common failing among powerful youkai.”

“Feh! Don't let my brother hear you say that.”

“Sesshoumaru is one of the exceptions.” Kagome glanced towards her mate, who was beginning to sputter. She reached out through their connection to soothe him. “Take it easy, InuYasha. Even you have matured over the years. Give me another five centuries and I may be the first woman to get her husband where she wants him;”

“Feh!”

All the girls laughed.

Kagome turned serious. “While I cannot keep youkai from sensing other youkai, my concealment spells will make youkai seem less powerful than they are. To someone like Kano…”

“I get it,” said Miroku. “He won't be able to resist.

“Mom can be really sneaky at times.” Everyone looked at Midori. “Hey! You didn't grow up with her.”

“Was she that bad?” asked Mama Higurashi. Mama smiled when Midori looked away, blushing.

Kagome took a sip of her tea and looked up. “Midori came along later. You can't put one over on a three hundred year old mom.”

Midori stuck her tongue out.

Kagome put down her teacup. “Now, pay attention.”

******************

Kano and his underlings sat in Mr. Sato's large office. By this time, Mr. Sato had returned. Kano was not pleased with the man's obvious condition and considered disposing of the man down his gullet. The shark youkai wondered if eating the man might leave him drunk and decided against it.

He would dispose of the man later, in a way that didn't leave a foul taste in his mouth.

“Why can't we just eat `em all, boss?” asked one of the sea youkai who were all in, more or less, human form.

Kano considered eating this one as a lesson to the others, but decided he might need all the help he could get at the wedding tomorrow.

“I want the miko, alive.” At least at first, he thought. “Once I get what I want, you can do what you like with the rest.”

“Why do you want her alive, boss?”

Kano made a mental note to be sure this one was used as fodder for Sesshoumaru. Even a fool in possession of the jewel would be a dangerous fool.

“Bushy…bushy tails.”

The shark youkai glared at Mr. Sato. The almost worthless human hadn't reported anything about more youkai at that shrine, but that damned miko was powerful. There was her friends and family to be considered: Lord Sesshoumaru, a priest and even a taijiya. Plus, a lot could happen in five hundred years. What didn't he know?

She knew about him. He knew about her. She knew he knew about her. He knew that she knew that he knew about her.

Kano took Mr. Sato's flask and opened it. Empty, damn it.

******************

Sango scratched Kirara under the chin as Miroku prepared for bed. The two both slept on traditional futons within their hut on the shrine grounds. “Do you think everything will be okay?”

Sango watched as Miroku slipped off his tight jeans. They were one of the things she really liked about Kagome's time. Her fiancé looked good in them, but she never tired of watching him take them off. She blushed a little as she wondered if she was turning as hentai as the monk.

Miroku smiled as he hung up the modern clothes. “I'm sure that our friend is a lot more powerful than she was, but no one is all-powerful. Naraku wasn't all-powerful.”

“Thank goodness.”

Miroku knelt beside Sango and continued. “I will say this: I do not think we have seen the full extent of what Kagome can do.”

“It made me a little nervous. I mean, earlier.”

“We can be glad Kagome is who she is. Wha…?” Miroku looked down when he felt a tug on the modern-day underwear he still had on.

“You won't need these tonight, Houshi.”

Miroku smiled and stood up to remove the offending garment. “As you wish, my dear Sango. As you wish.”

Kirara mewed at losing her neck scratch, but good-naturedly padded outside to guard the door to their hut.

No one would disturb their sleep…or anything else.

******************

Up in her room, Kagome sat on the edge of her bed as InuYasha closed the window. `What are you doing that for?”

“It's that bouzu and Sango. You'd think they were trying to make another one on top of the one growing inside her.”

“Aren't you wearing that charm I gave you?”

“You mean the one that cuts down on my youkai senses?” InuYasha sat down next to Kagome. “Can't. We've got these youkai after you. How could I possibly let my guard down?”

“Oh…yeah.”

InuYasha's ears cocked towards the windows and the shrine grounds where the hut was. “Keh. He's got pretty good stamina for a human.”

Kagome giggled at that. “I'm sure Sango doesn't mind.”

“Doesn't seem to.”

“Well, stop listening! It's rude!”

“I can't.”

Kagome sighed and started taking off her night clothes. “I guess there's only one solution.” She looked sharply at her mate. “Now, strip!”

“But you said we should get lots of rest.”

“Oh, it's such a sacrifice.” Kagome smiled wickedly. “Besides, you're always boasting how fast you recover.”

InuYasha finished undressing and got into bed. “This could take a while.”

After a minute of the “preliminaries,” Kagome pulled back, her brow knitted. “InuYasha?”

“Yes, Koibito?”

“Have you listened to them, before?”

“Not sayin'.”

“InuYashaaammmfff.”