InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Battle through Time ❯ Ch. 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch. 7 The Battle through Time (Sequel to Love and Destiny)
As Inuyasha and Kagome begin their new relationship, a new evil arises, threatening not only their worlds, but reality itself. Recommended Reading: “Love and Destiny”
 
It had been a long, emotionally-draining day, but Kagome could not seem to fall asleep. She lay in bed in her pajamas, eyes wide open staring at the ceiling. Too much had happened; the day's events still were unreal to her.
 
“It's no use,” she thought to herself. She swiftly hopped out of bed and made her way towards the kitchen, only to run into Inuyasha. He was surprised to see her awake. Walking through the hallway, he had been thinking about her, remembering their earlier moment, remembering the kiss. He blushed slightly out of embarrassment as if Kagome had seen his thoughts.
 
“Hey, what are you doin' up Kagome?” he managed to ask as he did his best to act nonchalant.
 
“I couldn't sleep,” she replied with a gentle smile. “I see you're looking for a midnight snack. Here, I'll make some Ramen for you,” she added sweetly while leading him towards the kitchen.
 
Everything was still so dreamlike for both of them. It was as if time itself had stopped, and reality had been reversed. Kagome glanced at Inuyasha sitting at the kitchen table as she prepared his snack. Could he have really spoken those words to her? In the past, whenever they had shared a moment, whenever Inuyasha had conveyed any of his feelings to her, Kagome had always later doubted that it had ever happened. Yet this instance was unique; her heart was still pounding from the embrace they had shared. Suddenly noticing that she had been staring, Kagome attempted to break the silence.
 
“So, how did you manage to get to this era anyway?” she asked innocently as she placed the ramen in front of him.
 
Inuyasha leaned back in his chair, arms folded behind his head, as he answered. “It's kind of a long story, but we ended up meeting this `time priestess.'” She was pretty strange. It was as if she could see into the future or somethin'. Anyway, she showed me how to open a portal to this time.”
 
In reflection, Inuyasha realized how strange those events had been, and how easily he had given the time priestess his trust. At the time he was far too preoccupied with seeing Kagome. His decision had been rather hasty and actually rather careless. In his memory, the priestess's worlds replayed.
 
“Close your eyes, Inuyasha. Now, concentrate all of your energy to the front of you. Separate yourself from this world. You should soon be able to see a bright light.”
 
The group stood outside of the woman's hut watching Inuyasha from the back. He stood motionless, focusing as hard as he could. He finally could see a turquoise light in his mind's eye.
 
“Yeah, I see it,” he answered.
 
“Now, slowly open your eyes,” the priestess directed.
 
As Inuyasha obeyed the woman's command, a slit of turquoise light began to appear out of no where. The rest of the group stood back in amazement.
 
“Now, step forward into the portal, and you'll end up in Kagome's time,” said the woman brightly. “Simple as that.”
 
“Got it,” replied Inuyasha.
 
Before he began to depart, Inuyasha turned to say goodbye to his friends. They had been through so much together. He was grateful for their support, for their friendship. Although he wouldn't admit it, he was really going to miss them.
 
The light behind him reflected off of his hair, giving him an almost angelic appearance as he stood near the midway of two worlds.
 
“Hey. If I never see you guys again, thanks - for everything. I mean that,” Inuyasha stated with a slight smile.
 
Sango, Miroku, and Shippo smiled in return. He didn't have to continue. Everyone knew what he was trying to say.
 
“Bye Inuyasha!” screamed Shippo as he fought to hold his tears back.”
 
“You take care of everyone Shippo. I'm countin' on you,” answered Inuyasha as he turned towards the portal. “And you two behave yourselves, got it?”
 
Miroku and Sango smiled and nodded in reply, as Inuyasha walked through the portal and entered the modern world.
 
“This time priestess seemed to know a lot about everything,” said Kagome, suddenly interrupting his flashback. “It's really strange how she knew about us, and how to open a time portal.”
 
“Yeah. But she's not all powerful or anything,” replied Inuyasha as he began to ravenously eat his ramen. “She told me I might not even be able to get back to the Feudal Era.”
 
“What?” exclaimed Kagome standing up and slamming her fists on the table. “You mean you came here not knowing if you could get back?” Kagome was shocked. Inuyasha had sacrificed so much to see her again. She felt the tears welling once more.
 
Seeing that she was about to cry, Inuyasha quickly blurted out one of his harsh comments. “I didn't come all the way here to see you cry! Ya think you'd have run out of tears by now!” Inuyasha yelled in his usual way.
 
To Inuyasha's surprise, Kagome didn't cry, but rather smiled and gently sat back down. His annoyance with her had soothed her tears.
 
“Now I'm sure this is real,” she thought to herself.
 
Back in Feudal Era
“I wonder how they're doing,” Sango thought aloud. The gang had returned to Kaede's hut to spend the night. They quietly sat in a circle towards the center of the room; none of them could sleep.
 
“I'm sure they're fine,” replied Miroku reassuringly, slipping his hand over hers.
 
Sango began to blush, until she noticed that Miroku's hand had shifted over to her butt. Her face glowed with anger as she proceeded to knock Miroku over the head with her hiraikotsu.
 
“Do you ever quit?!”
 
“Where do you think the time priestess went to?” asked Shippo, trying to ignore the drama beside him. “She just seemed to disappear after Inuyasha walked through the portal.”
 
“She was always a very strange character,” replied Kaede.
 
“Strange you say, I'm not the one dressed like a pirate,” called an old voice.
 
“It's her!” exclaimed Miroku, Sango, and Shippo in unison. A pink light flew into the room and landed in front of the group, suddenly materializing into the woman they had seen before.
 
“I don't think I ever properly introduced myself,” she said brightly. “My name is Tajira. And I am a keeper of time.”
 
“What exactly does that mean Lady Tajira?” asked Miroku.
 
“It means that I have been granted the ability to travel through time as I please, and that I am able to see certain events of the future. In return for these powers, I had to give up my physical existence. I am a spirit that must roam this world for eternity.”
 
“I see,” replied Miroku. “So that is how she is able to disappear and reappear so easily. She is a spirit,” Miroku thought to himself.
 
“But why are you telling us this?” asked Sango curiously.
 
“Because there's trouble up ahead, and you'll need to know a little about what you're up against for you to have any chance of overcoming it,” replied Tajira matter-of-factly as she sat down in the middle of their circle. “A terrible evil is coming, one that threatens not only this world, but also reality itself.”
 
The group looked on in amazement as Tajira's ominous words continued. It was going to be a long night.