InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Beat of a Butterfly's Wings ❯ Give Me Some Fluff ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Two: Give Me Some Fluff
 
 
As the weeks passed I felt that I was getting to know Ms. Higurashi without even meeting her once since that first day… I of course, like any parent, wished that I had the time and the ability to pick Rin up from school everyday. However, with the work that I had that was hardly an option. Another element added to my desire to pick my daughter up at the school, a desire that was too ridiculous for me to happily admit. A part of me wished that I could have the chance, the excuse, to see Ms. Higurashi again or to strike up a conversation with her. A chance to see those mesmerizing blue eyes; a chance to drown in the ocean that was the window to her sou-
 
I digress.
 
I subtly gave myself a slight physical shake to bring myself back to focus on the task at hand: the torturously long board meeting.
 
Oh goody, I thought dully. Yet another one.
 
It was a bit aggravating though, I had to admit. Actually it was extremely aggravating. I had only met the woman once for a period of 30 minutes nearly 2 months ago yet she had definitely gained a nonsensical hold on my mind that was nothing short of mortifyingly embarrassing. I, Sesshoumaru Taisho, had never - in the entire span of my life - been the type of male that became so…so… wrapped up in the idea of any woman. I wasn't the type of male to be spellbound and hypnotized by a woman. It was one of my famous traits. I was a cold, hard businessman who only let myself relax around my family and very close friends. And after being married to my ex-wife and getting divorced I never spent much time with women, youkai or human, it hardly mattered. The point was that I paid them no attention. I was cordial at best, but that was where I drew the line. I was infamous for that. But now, this little elementary teacher had me thinking about her eyes - her eyes - in such a ludicrously romantic way that I felt like the writer of a dime romance novel. I'm losing my mind, surely.
 
Turning my attention back to the board meeting, I nodded occasionally to give the appearance that I was listening intently. Not surprisingly I only listened intently for a minute. Impressive.
 
I probably would have gotten over my preposterous fascination with her if it hadn't been for the fact that she was my daughter's beloved teacher. Which of course brings me back to my original thought. I was not allowed to forget about her because of Rin. As the weeks had passed, nearly every day, Rin had something to say about Ms. Higurashi. A funny thing she had said, a trip she took them on, an activity that they did in class; it went on and on, week after week. It was easy to see that Rin had taken an immediate liking to the woman, and to put it bluntly, adored her. But as Rin continued to tell me all of those things I began to feel like I was learning a lot about the enigma that was Higurashi. As fascinating as it is, it's damned inconvenient, I decided as I stood up from my chair after the board members had finished filing out. The more I hear about her the less I can forget her, and because I can't forget her I want to meet her, and because I can't just make up any lame excuse to see her I can't stop thinking about her at the most inappropriate times - like in the middle on an important board meeting. The domino effect that this woman and my beloved daughter were having on me was very bad. Very bad for my mental health, I thought in annoyance as I opened the door to my office. Thank God parent/teacher conferences are in two weeks, I sighed, running a hand over my face as I sat in my plush, black leather chair.
 
Leaning back in my chair I thought about “The things that Rin's stories have taught me about `Teacher'”
 
She had a sense of humor. If she made a mistake she could admit it and laugh about it.
She loved plants and growing things. She had asked the principle to allow her and the kids to plant and take care of a garden along the playground fence.
She believed in encouraging the children to look at the world as a whole. Two times a week she would come up with activities that ranged from games from other countries to picking a country to research or discussing an article she had found.
She loved to play. During recess it wasn't uncommon for her to join in the games with the children.
She was strong and caring. When a few of the children had begun to make fun of Rin because of her age she had brought a very quick end to it and there had been no problem since. She was a protector and didn't tolerate unkindness in her classroom.
She was giving and compassionate. Every week the children would take one of their recess blocks and use the time to volunteer. Volunteering was obviously very important to her, and the activities ranged from collecting food, clothes, cleaning streets, raising money for different organizations, visiting hospitals, elderly homes, animal shelters, etc, etc.
 
These were just a few of the things that were `Teacher'. Maybe one of the reasons she was so magnetic was because she was such an anomaly, so abnormal. Whatever the reasons, I decided, I wasn't happy with her regular intrusions into my thoughts. This has to stop, I thought determinedly.
 
~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~
 
Everybody loved Higurashi-sensei. All of us students were willing to do anything for her. Since she'd come we'd learned so much - not just from our textbooks but also from the things that she'd exposed us to. It was always something interesting - sometimes funny, sometimes sad, and sometimes happy, but she had a way of explaining everything that she told us so that the words and the lessons stuck.
She was fair, she didn't play favorites - instead she loved everyone - vigorously. If she noticed you were struggling in a subject she was there to help. She noticed when you did your best and praised you for it, showering you with her warm smiles. And for us the best reward was the way her eyes would light up when she thought that you had achieved something great - and to her a lot of things were “great.” Whether you learned to understand a different culture's ideas or learned how to do a part of math that you had struggled with - it was all important to her. She didn't believe that because we were children we couldn't understand big problems or that we should be sheltered from all of them. In her gentle way she would expose us to problems like being prejudice or hunger or being without a home and then she would show us ways we could try to fix those things, showing us that she believed in us and in our abilities to do the right thing.
 
She made each and every one of us feel like we were truly important to her. Youkai or human, she treated us like we were her treasures. And in turn she captivated our hearts. I still didn't know how she got hired at our school, but I thanked whoever was up there in the heavens everyday for Higurashi-sensei, our own personal ray of summer sunshine.
 
~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~
 
 
As I reached the door to my apartment my cell rang loudly from the dark maw of my briefcase. Jabbing a hand in through the opening I roughly smashed papers, fingers scrambling along the bottom of the bag as I tried to find it. Getting it, pulling it out and simultaneously flipping it open I greeted breathlessly, “Hello, Kagome Higurashi speaking. What can I do for you?” Pausing to pin the phone between my ear and my shoulder with a practiced ease I unlocked and opened the door, kicking my shoes off as I left the entryway.
 
A familiar laugh was my first reply and then, “Hey `Gome,” Sango called cheerfully from the other end. “How was school again today?”
 
“Excellent as always, my dear. I swear they're so wonderful, all of them. I think I must have the best job in the world,” I smiled happily as I collapsed onto my plush living room couch. “And you, how was it at the Beat today?”
 
“Exciting and hectic as always,” she laughed, “ Although I think you would have fallen asleep and drooled at some points.” I could almost see her shrug before she continued, “But anyway, Miroku and I wanted to call you and tell you not to make any plans for this Friday.”
 
“Friday?” I repeated curiosity blossoming into life. “Why is that?”
 
“Because you are coming with us to a party~!” she sang out goofily reminiscent of a kid on a playground singing “My mommy gave me more candy than your mommy~!”
 
I repressed a laugh, “Ok, what type of party?”
 
“Surprise, that's part of the fun after all.”
 
“But what should I wea-“
 
“I'll take care of it, don't worry,” she interrupted.
 
“Oook…weird Sango, very weird,” I paused. “As well as very cruel. You know how my curiosity is going to drive me nuts now for the next two days,” I grumbled.
 
“I know, I'm sorry. But!” she exclaimed, “We didn't want to risk you missing out on this party - it's going to be so much fun~ you have no idea! So we had to tell you early just in case, so you wouldn't make any conflicting appointments. Trust me, you'll forgive us on Friday,” she laughed. “Now I have to go shopping hun so I'll see you on Friday at 6:00 sharp, alright?”
 
“Alright,” I said uncertainly, wondering what I had just gotten myself into. “See you then. Bye,” I finished as I hung up the phone and lied down momentarily on the couch.
 
An hour later I woke up bleary eyed and drowsy and with great effort drug my sleepy carcass off the couch that was so very comfortable. “Time to prepare for tomorrow's parent/teacher conferences,” I thought sleepily. In the few seconds that my eyes drooped close I saw a pair of luminous golden eyes stare at me from a face as beautiful and white as the moon. I shook my head violently in an attempt to clear the vision that still caught me at moments when I had let my guard down. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't seem to completely erase the vision of the eyes of a certain youkai that seemed to have been burned into the deepest recesses of my mind's eye.
 
~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~
 
Dear Parents,
It is our pleasure to announce the details regarding our half semester parent/teacher's conference. The purpose of these meetings is to allow the parents and teachers to discuss any concerns that they may have, as well as give any positive feedback. It is also an opportunity for our teachers do discuss with you, the parents, the progress of your child in school. It is very important to us here at Nakagawa Private School for Elementary Children that these meetings are fruitful and can help our teachers to better educate your children. Before attending please think about anything that you would like to mention or discuss with your child's teacher. We look forward to seeing you.
 
Date: Thursday, October 19th
Time: 3:15-9:00
Location: Your child's homeroom classroom
 
~♪To reserve the time for your appointment please call our office at 080-5555-6097♪~
 
Thank you for your cooperation,
Yoko Suzuki
Principle
 
~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~
 
This conference is going by way to slowly, I thought glumly as another pair of parents left the classroom looking smug. I want to curl up in a little hole and die. Suppressing a sigh I called out, “ Next please!”
 
An emerald eyed, flaming red head bounced through the door and at the sight of him I felt my spirits lifting, regaining their normal bouncy quality. Behind him trailed his mother and father, another rich couple; but they at least had friendly eyes. Unlike the many condescending eyes that have been glaring at me since early this afternoon, I thought sadly, feeling myself nearly deflate again. Quickly I focused my attention on the parents.
 
His mother was tall and slender, with beautiful slanted green eyes, positively sparkling with mischief. Red lips formed an easy smile and flaming red hair flowed over her shoulders and down her back in curling waves, swishing back and forth as she entered the room, her high heels clicking gently. She wore a simple white silk blouse with a black and white tweed skirt that showed off her legs in an attractive way that still managed to be conservative. His father, a tall man, with the same flaming hair, but cut short, followed behind her in a black business suit. His eyes, while a gold green, were just as lively as his wife's, and his smile just as friendly. Relieved at the sight of them I let myself smile a real smile for the first time in hours. It felt heavenly.
 
“Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Tokunaga, good evening to you too Shippou,” I greeted cheerfully as they took their seats in front of my desk. “How are you doing this evening?”
 
“Very well, thank you Ms. Higurashi,” Shippou's mother replied good-naturedly, her voice light and sweet. “And how are you doing today? You must be getting tired,” she commented, a knowing smile gracing her lips.
 
“Oh, I'm doing wonderful,” I fibbed trying to make myself look perkier. When her smile only increased I remembered that youkai could smell physical conditions. “Well, honestly. Yes,” I admitted ruefully. “I'm sorry. But now - enough of that. Let's get down to business,” I said energetically, clapping my hands together with a smile.
 
“Your son,” I let my tone turn serious and sorrowful as my smile died. “Is… Well how can I put it?” I sighed, rolling my eyes heavenward for inspiration. I didn't miss the merry twinkle in both of his parent's eyes. I love people who like a joke, I thought happily.
 
“Shippou is a wonderfully bright and talented student. He's a joy to have in the classroom and a joy to teach. He's eager to learn, always does his best, is willing to try new things, listens well, answers his share of questions, and treats myself and his fellow classmates with respect. He's always willing to help me out whenever we're doing any of our different projects. In short, I have no bad things to say about your son,” I finished in a dull, pained voice as if instead of saying good things I had just said that the world was ending in three hours.
 
Shippou snorted, covering his mouth with a small, clawed hand.
 
I sighed dramatically and then turned my attention on his parents who were positively beaming. Now how come the other parents couldn't have been this…receptive…and nice? I grumped. “So you see my problem, don't you?” I asked sadly.
 
“Oh yes,” Mr. Tokunaga said seriously, eyes laughing, “ This is very serious, isn't it my dear?” He turned to his wife and she nodded emphatically.
 
“I'm so very sorry Ms. Higurashi, we will be sure to punish him fully for his naughty, naughty ways. Understand, Mister,” she growled as she attempted to glare at her son. The effect however was lost due to her overly expressive eyes. I briefly wondered if anyone in this family was capable of making the mirth and the laughter in their eyes stop. I rather hoped not, it was such a beautiful thing to see.
 
“May I offer a suggestion for a suitable disciplinary action?” I asked quickly.
 
“Oh yes, please,” she said eagerly.
 
“Perhaps some of his favorite sweets along with an ample amount of hugging and kissing after you leave the school?”
 
“Oh that sounds perfect,” Mr. Tokunaga smiled. “We'll get right to it Ms. Higurashi.”
 
“If that's all, before we leave we'd just like to say `thank you' - for being the best teacher Shippou's ever had. We really appreciate it, so please let us know if there is anything we can ever do,” Mrs. Tokunaga said, flashing a brilliant smile. “And,” she said with a wink as they stood up, “I hope that your evening improves.”
 
I choked on a giggle and nodding, responded, “Oh, you two have already made it improve a thousand-fold. Thank you so much for letting me be Shippou's teacher, it's an honor and my pleasure,” rising from my chair and bowing as they left, I smiled.
 
~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~
 
“I have an hour left,” I mused as I glanced for what seemed like the millionth time at the clock on the back wall. “Fifty-nine minutes and 50 seconds… 49… 48… 47 - oh gawl. Stop it.” Frantically I looked for something, anything, to occupy myself with so I wasn't left counting the seconds. “How many left,” I wondered aloud. Shuffling through the papers that were on my desk I found my attendance list and ran a quick eye over it. When I hit the section that started with the letter `T' I found one name unchecked. I sucked in a deep breath reflexively as I remembered who had yet to show up tonight; I didn't know how I could have forgotten Quickly checking the rest of the list I discovered that he was the only parent left. Maybe I'll get out of here early, I mused dreamily as I rested my chin in the cup of my hand, staring blankly out the window where the street lamp glowed it's strange yellow-orange. It could happen, right?
 
I wonder if he'll be brining Rin with him or not, it's kind of late…
 
A knock on the partially closed door brought me crashing out of my mental wanderings. “Come in,” I spluttered, trying to get my gears spinning again.
 
The door opened smoothly to reveal the man of my musings. “Mr. Taisho, good evening,” I greeted, immediately feeling his presence as it seemed to fill the room, feeling the magnetism. I motioned for him to sit in one of the chairs available in front of my desk and tried to act as if he had no effect on me whatsoever. I tried to tell myself that as well, but I've never been good at fooling myself. And unfortunately not that good at fooling others either, I thought sourly. So depressing in instances likes this… He probably knows that I'm as susceptible to his aura - I don't what else to call it - as every other woman probably is… How embarrassing, I grumbled. He's too handsome for his own good.
 
“Good evening, Ms. Higurashi,” he replied smoothly, obviously not the least bit affected or thrown off balance by my presence. And why would I throw him off balance for goodness sakes, I laughed.
 
He sat down, casually folding his long length into the chair and placing his right leg over his left, as his gold eyes watched me at my place behind the desk. Caught in those pools like the liquid sun I felt my lungs stutter. Why does he always seem to make my lungs malfunction, I wondered grumpily as I tried to send messages to the worthless organs. Do your job dang-it! Pump ~ pump~!
 
“I apologize for scheduling my meeting so late,” he said with an apologetic smile. “I tried earlier in the week to reschedule the meetings I was supposed to attend today but unfortunately I was unable to.”
 
“Oh, that's no problem at all Mr. Taisho. You're still an hour within the time set aside for the conference. Besides, even if you were later than 9 I'd still be more than happy to meet with you. Communicating with and getting feedback from the parents' is very important, in my opinion,” I smiled, noticing off-hand that my cheeks hurt from smiling so much for an entire day - even though during the afternoon and evening nearly all of them had been fake or strained.
 
He tilted his head slightly to the side, eyes gaining an inquisitive gleam. “You look tired,” he stated. I didn't even try to pretend I wasn't then. He can smell my exhaustion, why bother?
 
“It's alright,” I said instead, waving a hand in an attempt to brush away the comment.
 
“Do you have any other meetings after mine?” he asked, and I could have sworn I could see the wheels starting to turn behind that perfectly formed face.
 
“No, you're my last meeting for the day,” I smiled trying to convey that I really was fine with it being so late - it was part of my job after all.
 
“Have you eaten dinner at all tonight?” The wheels were moving faster now.
 
“No, I was planning on eating after I was finished for the night,” after a pause I gathered up enough courage to ask, “Why?”
 
The gears clicked into place. His eyes warm as a smile tugged at his lips he said, “Let me take you out to dinner then.”
 
Hitch in the breathing pattern yet again. Stuttering to a start I said, “Excuse me,” the surprise blatantly obvious in my voice.
 
He didn't even blink at my tone; yes, he was a hardheaded businessman who probably didn't even know the meaning of the word `no'. Well I guess he's going to learn it now, I thought a little smugly as my hidden stubborn side began to rise to the challenge. It's far too inappropriate, the two us going out to dinner right now.
 
“Allow me to take you out to dinner,” he reiterated.
 
“I'm afraid I can't do that,” I replied quickly, flashing an apologetic smile.
 
“And why is that?” he asked, a single white eyebrow cocked - in curiosity I hazarded.
 
“I don't know how the school would feel about me skipping out on a meeting to go out to dinner with the parent of one of my students, but I think I can guess pretty safely that they wouldn't approve.”
 
“You won't be skipping out on the meeting. We can have the meeting at the restaurant,” he reasoned smoothly.
 
“I don't think it's a good ide-“
 
“Higurashi,” he said in an intimate tone, a part of me wondering how he could say my last name intimately - it was the most publicly used part of my name after all. But not when he said it like that. And oh it sounded so good when he said it, in that rich baritone. I felt a shiver run unbidden up my spine as he continued, “It's past 8 at night, you're exhausted, you haven't eaten dinner, and I know you won't go easy on yourself and go home even if I tell you to. So, in conclusion, the least you can do, for the both of us, is let me take you out to dinner. You're tired and I don't like being the reason that you can't go to sleep right now. So please, allow me to do this one thing.” He paused, looking at me critically, “It's not a date - strictly a meeting. There's no harm in that, and if the school has anything to say about then they can complain to me,” he shrugged elegantly.
 
I stared at him, thinking of a rebuttal.
 
A large growl shattered the silence.
 
Apparently the monster that took residence in my stomach thought what he said sounded like an awfully good idea.
 
Dang it he's good, I thought, extremely miffed, cheeks tinged red. I am really tired, and hungry, and tired, and going to a restaurant sounds so nice…oh shite, fine. I give in... All too quickly, I sighed.
 
“Fine,” I consented, adding quickly, “But it's strictly business.”
 
“Good,” he said smiling broadly and the room spun. It couldn't be a bad thing to make him make that face more often, I thought a little breathlessly. I certainly wouldn't mind trying…
 
“Then, what type of food are you in the mood for?”
 
The monster in my stomach would like, “Italian?”
 
“Alright then, I think I know just the place,” he smiled and stood up with unnatural grace. “There's a place in Harajuku that's very nice. It's called Soho's Omotesando. Have you ever heard of it before?”
 
I shook my head no as I began packing all my papers into my briefcase - my method? Sweeping them roughly off the desk into the gaping maw of said bag and smashing any papers that rebelled and tried to stick out of the opening. Hunger and exhaustion make me so tidy. “No, I don't know that many of the restaurants around here yet- too many to know really. My friends and I usually stick to Izakaya style dining or the cheap stuff. They make plenty of money but my budget on the other hand is a bit smaller,” I shrugged, pulling the briefcase strap onto my shoulder.
 
“Yet?” he questioned as we walked from the room.
 
“I'm from Nagoya - I went to college at Chiba University but I still don't know Tokyo all that well even after four years.”
 
“I see,” his lips turned up in a small smile as he walked along side me taking measured strides, being kind enough to take my shorter height into consideration. I stopped suddenly as I heard the echoing of clunky high heels clicking briskly from some point in one of the hallways. Judging from the sound though, wherever they were now the heels were headed our way.
 
Without a second thought I hooked my arm through his and did a U-turn. “On second thought, lets take the back door,” I giggled sheepishly. “I'd recognize that distinct pitter patter of feet anywhere.”
 
“Let me guess,” he said, raising an eyebrow - at my words or at the way I was manhandling him, I wasn't sure. “Ms. Suzuki?”
 
Looking up at him suspiciously I asked, “ Can you smell her from here?”
 
“Yes,” he replied shamelessly.
 
“Cheating.”
 
“Hardly. Even if I couldn't smell her I would have guessed that it was her just from the sound. She walks like an elephant in army boots,” he snorted, shaking his head.
 
“That's a,,, colorful description,” I paused mid-stride wincing at the mental image his words conjured up - a massive elephant sized Ms. Suzuki wearing BDUs and black lace-up boots. Uungh.
 
“What is it?” he glanced at me, confusion evident in his face.
 
“Mental image,” I mumbled, mind still a bit shell-shocked. Giving myself a bit of a shake I strode forward - as quietly as possible on high heels. I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I failed to notice that I still had my arm linked with his and he had yet to pull away.
 
 
~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~
 
When we reached the parking lot I realized that I had forgotten about a possible complication: a car. Hopefully she'll allow me to drive her to the restaurant and then bring her back here, I thought as I turned, yet again, to look at the little woman who was walking beside me, sadly with her arm no longer linked through mine. She had looked quite startled when we reached the doors and she found that her arm was still connected with mine. It had taken a lot of will power not to laugh at her stupefied face. It was quite adorable.
 
“Do you have a car,” I asked watching as she paused to look up at me questioningly.
“Yeah, but I usually take the bus to work. I only take the car on days where I'm running late,” she laughed.
 
“Alright,” I smiled reflexively, the sound of her laugh like music. “That makes it simple - my car's over there,” I said pointing to the left at the black BMW sitting in nearly empty parking lot. I walked forward, keeping my steps short so she wouldn't have to jog to keep up and when we reached the car I held the door open for her and waited for her to get situated before I shut it.
 
When I climbed in and put the key in the ignition she said, “You have a very nice car,” and patted the black leather seat.
 
“Thank you,” I chuckled. “Now, Ms. Higurashi, do you want to start the meeting her in the car or would you like to rest until we reach the restaurant? We have time, so whichever you prefer.” I looked over at her while I put the car into drive and began to move through the parking lot.
 
A thoughtful look crossed her face before she finally nodded, apparently to herself. “I think I'll actually rest if you don't mind. That way I'll be more energetic at the restaurant.” She frowned apologetically, “ I really am sorry that I'm such a dud today, I feel awful about it.”
 
“There is no need for you to feel bad Ms. Higurashi. It's been a long day for you and believe me, I know how exhausting long days at work can be sometimes.”
 
“Thank you,” she smiled that warm smile of hers as she snuggled into the seat, turning toward the window and pulled her legs up, tucking them in between herself and the seat divider. After only two minutes had passed I heard the change in her breathing signifying that she had fallen fast into the realm of sleep.
 
When we arrived in Harajuku and had parked in the nearest lot, 30 minutes later due to ridiculous traffic, I turned to the sleeping woman beside me and placed a hand on her shoulder. I felt a bit miffed as a pleasant shiver ran up my back at the contact. Gently shaking her I said a bit more gruffly than I meant to, “Ms. Higurashi, we're here.”
 
“Uungh,” was her reply as she attempted to roll away. My eyebrow raised, I shook her a little more firmly and repeated myself. “Fudge sundae…” was her response.
 
Okay - say what? “Apparently you are not one who wakes up well,” I muttered, deciding to try a different approach. Climbing out of the car, I walked around the front and came to her door. Opening it, I quickly crouched down to her level as her sleeping form lurched dangerous toward the concrete floor. Bracing her gently, my hands carefully grasping her arms, I got a little close to her face and said very loudly, “Ms. Higurashi?” She still seemed to be sleeping, mumbling something unintelligible, but I noticed a bit of movement behind her eyelids and a change in her breathing. She was coming, albeit slowly, to the surface. Well, I thought, I remember a certain threat that always worked very well on Inuyasha. It wouldn't hurt to try it here as well.
 
Shifting slightly, still keeping a firm grasp on her arms I got very close to her face. I didn't fail to notice the way I felt at such an intimate proximity and deciding that it was not only intimate but dangerous as well said quickly and loudly, “Please don't make me tickle you, Higurashi.”
 
Eyelids flew open, long black lashes snapped like crows wings taking off in flight, and a pair of large sapphire orbs captured mine.
 
I suddenly remembered how dangerously close my face was to hers.
 
~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~
 
An extremely attractive voice broke into my dream interrupting my pillaging of a massive banana nut fudge sundae the size of a small dog. I had been doing a pretty good job of it too and now this incredible voice was telling me that I had to leave my ice cream. Nuh-uh, I don't think so. I don't care how good you sound,..
 
I focused on the bowl in front of me and defiantly dove my spoon into a particularly gooey piece of fudge. Mmmm…
 
Then there was that voice again and I felt a traitorous part of my brain begin to obey it. Extremely irked I watched as my surroundings, tragically including my beautiful sundae, shimmered and began to disappear. I was sitting on the fence between the waking world and the sleeping one - which I really wanted to go back to. Now.
 
Maybe if I just ignore the hands on my arms and pretend I didn't hear that voice, maybe, just maybe, I can go back to sleep. I'm so tired. Five more minutes couldn't hurt surely... Make that 8 hours. My decision made I began my endeavor to re-enter that dream with that gorgeous sundae. I love chocolate, I thought dreamily as I shut out the outside world.
 
“Please don't make me tickle you, Higurashi,” that masculine, heavenly voice said loudly, right in front of my nose. All drowsiness was gone in less than half an instant as I realized who was speaking, what they were saying, and how close they were while they were saying it. Oh my go- I thought horrified as my eyes snapped open.
 
There, in front of me, his nose less than an inch from mine, was Sesshoumaru Taisho, the world's most beautiful male. Shite. A distant part of my brain realized that the hands on my arm belonged to him…and that said hands felt very nice. And so did his breath on my face. His wha-?! That thought brought me to a lightning start and I jerked back, brought out of my stupor. Too close, way too close, Crap, crap, crap, I thought incoherently.
 
“I'm so sorry,” I spluttered, cheeks flaming. “I, um, I -“
 
“It's quite alright. I'm only sorry that you're so exhausted. I hated to wake you but we've arrived,” was his smooth reply as he released my arms and I felt the sudden lack of warmth. Then a mischievous look lit in his golden eyes and he said in what I suspected was a teasing tone, “Ticklish are you, Ms. Higurashi?”
 
I had thought I couldn't possibly turn any redder. I was very wrong.
 
“I'll have to remember that threat for later use.” He smirked. “In case I need to wake you up again another time.”
 
Wow, I noted, I bet I'm the color of a fire hydrant right about now.
 
He stood up, that cursed impish light still dancing merrily in his eyes, and held a hand out to help me out of the car. I accepted it, still red as a Jonathon apple. “Shall we go then?”
 
“I'm really sorry about that,” I muttered looking down at my feet. Left, right, left, right, they continued to move while really all I wanted to do was lie down on the concrete and die of embarrassment. The fates are really being cruel today, I mused glumly. First nearly all of the parents were on the warpath - which with youkai parents can be particularly stressful - and then I fell asleep in the car and had to be woken up by Japan's “Number 1: Most Attractive Male” in both the business and entertainment categories. This just really is not my day… A thought struck me then, Oh gawl, please tell me I wasn't drooling! I quickly brought a hand up to check the sides of my mouth for any evidence of possible mortifyingly embarrassing drool/ drool tracks. Oh thank God~@~ there isn't any… Well that's one of the few good things that have happened today.
 
“I don't know why you're apologizing,” he laughed merrily. “It was no inconvenience to wake you up, in fact to be quite honest, it was quite fun.” I could feel his eyes on me as he paused for a moment, inhaling deeply. “Ms. Higurashi,” he said gently, “there's no need to be embarrassed. You looked quite nice up close.”
 
I believe my face is going to be permanently red now, I groaned, Quick. Change the subject!
 
So, how do we get to this restaurant?” I asked quickly, my voice strained, as we reached the entrance of the garage. As I glanced at him briefly I saw one of his eyebrows rise in question before he replied slowly.
 
“It's in that tall building over there,” he pointed, “On the 28th floor.”
 
“Ok,” I said turning off in the direction of the building with quick, determined steps, all the while trying to convince myself that I wasn't embarrassed. Trying to tell myself that Sesshoumaru had meant what he said, not just trying to be kind. At least I hadn't been drooling, I thought as I kept walking at my fast clip. Due to his height he had no trouble keeping in stride of course and I soon couldn't resist looking up at him. He must have felt my eyes on him because he turned his head to look down at me and smiled. I felt something flutter in my stomach realizing that I was the reason for that smile, and despite myself found my own lips turning up into a smile.
 
Come to think of it, I realized, I remember reading in an article that he's fairly well known for being blunt with his words - at least in the business world… Maybe he meant what he said… My smile grew and I thought, Actually, I'm going to take `Having Japan's Number One Attractive male wake me up' off the list of `Crappy things that have happened today.' That's going on my `Happy' list.
 
I slowed to my normal pace and asked, “So, what type of Italian food does this place have?”
 
“Surprise,” he chuckled.
 
“No fair,” I grumbled. “First you wake me up by threatening to tickle me and then you tease me mercilessly, and now you're refusing to tell me what type of Italian food they have? That's just very unkind of you Mr. Taisho.”
 
“Sesshoumaru,” he said, low, in that gorgeous voice of his.
 
“Huh?” I said, not sure I'd heard him correctly.
 
“Sesshoumaru,” he repeated with a charming grin, “You can call me Sesshoumaru. I figure that it's only fair since, as you said, I've been very unkind tonight. Threatening to tickle you after all is a very cruel thing.” His grin grew into a dazzling smile and that fluttering in my stomach came back full force.
 
“Well then,” I sniffed haughtily, trying to calm my nerves, “It was very cruel, but since you apologized so nicely I suppose you could call me by my first name as well. But only while you're still in my favor.”
 
“I'll keep that in mind,” he said, face growing serious but eyes still dancing, and I knew he had caught my sarcasm. If he hadn't though it would have been ridiculous, my voice was positively dripping with it.
 
“Kagome,” I said.
 
“Kagome,” he repeated it, experimenting, seeming to roll it around on his tongue, as if to see what it felt like. Apparently he approved of the way it felt because his smile returned full force. “Well, Kagome. I guess since I've been so hard on you tonight, I suppose I could tell you a little bit about what type of food they serve,” he said as we reached the door to the skyscraper.
 
“Oh really,” I asked, eyebrow arching up inquisitively.
 
“Yes,” he replied, eyes twinkling as he held the door open.
 
He's certainly a gentleman, I thought, suddenly recalling some of my more recent dates - not that this was a date, but still it made me think of them. A particular date with an over-zealous, possessive, rough around the edges youkai came to mind. Whatever possessed me to finally accept his offer? I reflected, the whole incident still able to instill a bit of awe-struck shock in me, even after 8 months. I guess I got tired of the stupid wolf asking me and thought that if I went out with him once that then I could get him to leave me alone once and for all… Looking back on it now though, that wasn't very solid reasoning. I still got phone calls from him every once in a while.
 
As we entered the building he spoke, bringing me back to the present, “They serve…” he paused for affect.
 
The cheeky bugger, I thought. I really need to quit reading those British novels… I mean they are really good for my English practice but honestly.
 
“Very delicious Italian food,” he finished dramatically.
 
“Huh?!” I gaped at him as we came to halt in front of the elevator and he pushed the `up' button. “I'm afraid I didn't hear you right, would you mind repeating that for me?”
 
“You heard me,” he smirked, puckishly. “You asked me what type of Italian food and I told you `Very delicious Italian food.'” The elevator dinged loudly as it reached the first floor and the doors slid open smoothly.
 
He stepped inside and I followed, glaring petulantly at his backside - a very nice backside at that, the voice in my head commented lecherously.
 
Focus. You are supposed to be being annoyed now - not appreciating one of his many fine attributes.
 
“I think I may have to slap you,” I grumbled as we both turned to face the door, our backs to the back wall of the elevator. Even though I wasn't looking at him - I was busy glaring at the door - I would have bet money that one of his eyebrows rose at my words. I have to admit, saying that to a taiyoukai is a bit on the ludicrous side of things, I sighed.
 
“I told you what you wanted to know, you can't deny that,” was his innocent reply.
 
Ooooh, I steamed.
 
We finally reached the door and all my thoughts of retribution flew out the window when I saw the restaurant. It was too beautiful to pretend to be miffed over such a tiny thing.
 
It was fairly spacious, with a large bar that ran most of its length. And everything in the restaurant faced the massive windows that faced north to show the city lights of Shinjuku, a breathtaking vista to eat dinner with. To say the least I was impressed, despite the fact that it was a very cool, modern design. I tended to like warmer, old-fashioned style places myself but the view that this restaurant offered was more than an adequate remedy for what the restaurant lacked. And if the food really was good like he said it was, well then - couldn't get much better, I decided.
 
He smiled down at me as the maître d' headed toward us from behind the reception desk. “I see you approve?”
 
“You could say that,” I replied guardedly giving him a sidelong look, feeling a bit mischievous myself.
 
He just smirked.
 
“Two?” the maître d' asked coming to a halt before Mr. Taisho - Sesshoumaru.
 
“Yes,” he replied, quickly adding, “We'd prefer a non-smoking table by the window if that could be arranged.”
 
The maître d' looked over his shoulder and then turned back to face us, nodding, “I think we can easily arrange that, sir. Please follow me this way.”
 
The maître d' held out a chair for me as we reached the table and as I accepted it I could feel his eyes on my body, running down my curves and racing down the length of my uncovered legs. Perv. Why can't I just wear a skirt and get away with it with no lecherous looks? Why? Honestly. I sighed and looked up to see Sesshoumaru send the man a cold glare. I heard him stiffen and then say hastily before he beat a quick retreat, “Your waiter will be with you in a minute, sir!” I noted with nothing short of smug amusement that his voice cracked in his nervousness. Who wouldn't be nervous after getting a look like that from Sesshoumaru?
 
Picking up the menu I snorted, shaking my head. “That was… interesting.”
 
“Hardly,” Sesshoumaru grumbled. “I'd call it pure insolence. He's supposed to be working here, not staring at your - women's - attributes.” He picked up his menu and began flipping through it, brow furrowed.
 
I followed suit and flipping through the menu I soon felt like drooling. My very own personal stomach monster growled loudly, reminding me that it was hungry. The food ranged from pastas to gratin to soups and salads and it all looked very yummy. “Ooh,” I groaned as I went through the menu a second time, looking at the pictures, still trying to figure out what to order. It all looks so good.
 
“Finding it difficult to decide?” he laughed, startling me out of perusal and causing me to look up from my menu.
 
“Yes, just a little bit,” I chuckled, shrugging. “I'm so hungry and it all looks so good.”
 
“Pasta or something more filling?”
 
“Pasta, preferably with lots of cheese.”
 
“Then, I would recommend either the Chicken Carbonara or the Shrimp Gratin,” he replied showing me the pictures of both dishes in the menu.
 
I pursed my lips in thought for a moment and then decided, “I'll have the Shrimp Gratin then. Thanks. Now for a drink.” I turned to the alcohol menu and finally decided on a Italian Muscat grape wine. I usually didn't drink wine, but with Italian food it just seemed appropriate.
 
A young girl approached our table a half a minute later to take our order and after she left Sesshoumaru turned to me with a small smile and said, “Well Kagome, shall we begin our parent/teacher's meeting now?”
 
I leaned forward and put my elbows on the table, putting my chin in my hands, “By all means.” I looked outside at the city below for a moment, gathering my thoughts, as I stared at the jewels of light from the dizzying height. It hit me full force then that I was at a restaurant - in public - with Sesshoumaru Taisho. I suddenly felt a bit heady.
 
“Well, first I would like to say that Rin is a joy. You are really lucky to have her as a daughter - but I think you already know that,” I paused giving him a smile. “She is incredibly brilliant but still innocent in ways. It's nice to see that in a child - some children these days, especially the smart ones, are jaded at an early age. I guess when I say innocent I feel she is still…” I paused trying to come up with the word that I wanted. “Rin is still full of joy and wonder, she's still full of sunshine even though she knows that the world isn't perfect. She's a wonderful pupil and never fails to make me smile. She's curious and brave but kind and gentle and always respectful. I love having her in the classroom.” I finished, gesturing with my hand to show that I was open to comments.
 
“Thank you,” he said, his eyes warm. “I'm glad to see that you can see her the same way I do. I just wish her mother could see her that way,” he sighed regretfully.
 
“I was actually wondering about that. I read in her profile that you and your wife got divorced a year ago. How is she doing with that do you think? She told me once that she has to stay with her mother one weekend a month, but I got the distinct impression that she wasn't happy about that…” He looked uncomfortable for a moment and I realized in horror that I had, like the world-class idiot I am- ugh, probably just touched upon a very sore subject. “I'm sorry,” I rushed, “I didn't mean to pry. I'm so sorr-“
 
“To be quite honest with you Kagome,” he interrupted his voice subdued for the first time since I had met him, “She's not happy about it. I've had a lawyer tying for the past eight months to get rid of the `required visitation' ruling of the judge, but we've had no luck so far. I'm just grateful that I get to have custody at all,” he ran a hand through his hair, looking tired. My heart went out to him then - I wanted to comfort him somehow but there was nothing I could do. He had an injury, a scar that only a person able to touch his heart could fix and I wasn't that person.
 
Doing the only thing I could think of I reached out and placed my hand over his, squeezing gently, and tried to convey with my eyes how much I wished I could help - no pity, just the desire to help. A proud creature like Sesshoumaru would loathe pity so out of respect I would be the last to offer it.
 
“Well then,” I said, removing my hand from on top of his, “do you have any comments or questions for me?”
 
He blinked as my hand left his and after a pause said, “Well, first I would like, yet again to say `Thank you.' Rin speaks of you often and from the sound of it you are an excellent teacher. She seems to whole-heartedly adore you, to be blunt. I'd also like to compliment you on the things you're exposing the children to; you're giving them an education that they could never get if they were only studying the textbooks. It's refreshing to see a teacher who cares so much about all aspects of her students' education. I'll admit that your methods surprised me at first - I've never heard of a 3rd grade teacher who engaged her students so much or challenged them with such difficult tasks. But you, you came in to that school and started something wonderful with those kids.” He shook his head, thinking; then finished, “In short I'm extremely impressed. And grateful that Rin has such a good teacher.”
 
I blushed at the shower of compliments and mumbled as the waiter approached our table, “You shouldn't be that impressed… I'm just doing what I love.”
 
“Your gratin, miss,” she said placing the little cast iron pot in front of me before turning to Sesshoumaru, “And your steak, sir.” Pulling a bottle of the Muscat wine out of one pocket she filled my glass and then bowing said, “Enjoy your meal,” as she retreated.
 
“Maybe,” he mused, “but there are plenty of teachers who are only in it for the money.” He shrugged.
 
“Well I just wish the other parents were as receptive to my methods,” I couldn't help but sigh as I picked up my spoon and began to attack the gratin with gusto.
 
“What do you mean by that? What did the other parents say,” he asked eyebrow quirked in puzzlement.
 
“They were actually quite angry - particularly about my volunteer activities.” I shook my head, “I just don't understand it. They said that it was below their child to be cleaning streets or raising food or money like I had them doing. That was other people's business, not theirs or their child's. It was fine for people like me to be doing something so low, but for their offspring it was preposterous. They were quite adamant about it,” I sighed, shoulders drooping.
 
Sesshoumaru groaned and ran a hand over his face, “How terribly embarrassing. You must think that all rich people are repulsive, selfish,” he paused, “and if I may so say: pricks.”
 
I laughed dully, “If I was one to project and assume I would certainly be inclined to think that after today. Fortunately, I don't. Unfortunately, I think some of them will go the board if I don't stop.” I pinched the bridge of my nose trying to stave off the headache that beginning to settle in behind my eyes as I recalled the awful afternoon. “They also seemed to think that 3rd graders were far too young to be doing volunteer work like I had them doing. It's completely nonsensical,” I grumbled angrily.
 
“I agree with you,” he said in a soothing tone, “But I have to admit. I'm curious as to your thinking behind your ideas.” He put his chin in his right palm and tilted his head inquisitively.
 
“I believe in the children,” I shrugged. “I believe that they are never too young to learn how to help, to see how it feels to help others. I also believe that if you show them that you believe in them that they can surprise you with their ideas. What better time to learn about problems and how to fix than when you are young. I think they are capable of far more than most adults give them credit. I don't think that they should be exposed to everything ugly and bad in the world - of course not. I don't aim to kill their innocence, that's the last thing I would ever want to do. I do however, want to teach them about some of the things that are going on in the world, like hunger or prejudice.” I paused thoughtfully, staring out the window at the twinkling lights that lay far below where we sat. “I guess `The Butterfly Effect' is a good summation of my feelings.” I paused before I quoted the phrase so dear to my heart, “The beat of a butterfly's wings, can, at a critical moment, create a disturbance that will result in the occurrence of a hurricane on the far side of the ocean.” When I finally looked up he was looking at me with a strange, unreadable expression that sent a shiver up my spine. Nervously I mumbled, “No person and no action is too small to cause change…” I blushed and decided that the subject needed to be changed, fast.
 
“So, how has work been these days at Taisho & Sons?” I asked briskly and then shoved a spoonful of the gratin in my mouth.
 
That impertinent eyebrow of his rose yet again, obviously questioning the drastic subject change, but he kindly let it slide. “We are in the middle of an important business deal with a manufacturing company in China so that's what all of today's meeting were about. It's very tedious. Did you read about where I worked in Rin's profile?”
 
I couldn't help it, I laughed. Loudly. “Yes, I did see it there, but I already knew who you were and where you worked before the Craisin introduced us.”
 
“Oh really?” Both eyebrows rose and then his brow furrowed in a frown.
 
“Sorry, but I read the news. And even if I didn't I can't lie, you've been on a lot of magazine covers so I would have at least recognized your name and face. There aren't that many youkai with that white hair and those markings - and you three are the only ones living in Tokyo,” I shrugged and then smiled.
 
He actually looked a bit embarrassed. Seventy percent embarrassed and 30% miffed, I decided.
 
“Oh,” was all he said before he cleared his throat and said, “So, Kagome, tell me about yourself.”
 
“Uh, oookay… What do you want to know?” I asked a bit lost.
 
“Well, it's only fair, you know a lot of my statistics, the hard, cold facts about me so you should start with those,” he smiled.
 
“Alright, fair enough,” I laughed. “Let's see. I'm 21. Before college I lived with my family, which consists of me, jii-chan, my mom, and my little brother Souta. I lived in Nagoya for most of my life so my natural dialect is Kansai-ben of course, and even after four years when I get excited or agitated it tends to slip out.”
 
“ My minor in college was English and one of my favorite past times is reading English novels, even though they're so expensive here. I love teaching and children. And as you already know I love volunteering. I volunteer on the weekends though too, every Saturday. My two best friends go with me when they can, but their schedules are really hectic so they can't come very often.”
 
“I live in a small apartment that I chose because it actually allows pets. I'm hoping to save up enough to buy a husky - my favorite type of dog. I wouldn't mind having a cat either. We had lots of pets while I was growing up so I'm hooked.” I shrugged. “Those are the cold, hard facts mixed in with a little bit of fluff to make it interesting,” I chuckled. “That is of course if it's possible to make my life sound interesting.”
 
He laughed, a light, happy laugh, and said, “Oh believe me Kagome, your life is quite interesting from this side of the table. You don't have anything to be worried about.”
 
“And you?” I asked, “Give me some fluff.”
 
“Some fluff?” he snorted. “I'm quite a bit older than you of course, but you already knew that.” I nodded and he continued, “I live in a large house on the outskirts of Tokyo, just Rin and I. We've also thought about getting a dog but haven't gotten around to it yet. I enjoy spending time with my daughter, reading, excercising,” he paused, a thoughtful look crossing his face.
 
“And long walks on the beach?” I giggled.
 
“With no shoes of course,” he added in mock seriousness. He looked at me with those gorgeous golden eyes and I stared right back until we simultaneously burst into laughter.
 
“Ok, so this conversation went downhill fast,” I choked. “I feel like I'm on a dateline reality show or something.'
 
“Hey,” he laughed, “you asked for fluff. So fluff is what you get.”
 
 
~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~ End Chapter ~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~~@~