InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Beat of a Butterfly's Wings ❯ Bloopers and Blunders: The Fate of the Tongue Tied and Those In Denial ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Everyone: I'm soooo sorry it took me so long - I'll explain in detail at the end so please, read - sorry! (T T) Also thank you sooo much for the sweet reviews! I love u guys!
 
Disclaimer: a true tragedy - I don't own them. If I did well I wouldn't be writing here now would I? I'd be writing an actual published book, haha. Don't sue me please (*-*)
 
 
≈Ω≈
Chapter 10:
Bloopers and Blunders: The Fate of the Tongue Tied and Those In Denial
≈§≈
 
 
Greece, I decided happily as I crept out on the suite's large, elegant balcony, is heaven on earth. No joke. Reaching the railing that ran around the balcony with strategically placed plant holders I took in the beautiful scenery that this paradise had to offer my keen eyes.
 
The Aegean sea stretched out far, far into the beyond, white topped waves dancing silver in the moon light, growing smaller and smaller with distance until the sea appeared to be a giant piece of blue-black glass that went all the way to the horizon. The scent of salt and water filled my sensitive nostrils as the wind blew off the ocean, twirling and winding lazily while it moved over the island, stirring my hair in its wake. High above the moon was suspended, its white light casting a soft spell, as the sound of the waves, crashing against the rocks far below, was a drumbeat in my ears, a rhythm, a pulse. The most beautiful thing of all however was the sight of a man gathering a woman into his arms as he captured her lips with his in a, dare I say, passionate kiss. And the most wonderful sound that mingled with the beat of the waves far below, was the beat of two hearts pounding violently against two rib cages as the couple embraced, the woman's gasp stolen by the playful wind that pulled at their hair, white and black swirling together under the moonlight.
 
And now you know why I'd crept. And no doubt understand the wickedly happy grin of triumph that spread my lips so widely that I thought surely my face would split. Oh yes, Greece. Greece was definitely the place to be.
 
 
“Sir,” Kagura's cold voice interrupted my perusal of the papers on my desk, “the charges just arrived. Would you like me to give them to you now or later?”
 
Growling I held out a hand demandingly and glared as she strode into the room, handing them to me with a face twitching in indignation. Taking them from her I said nothing, clearly dismissing her and was promptly rewarded a few moments later when the door clicked shut. Opening the package - an easy task with my hands - I pulled out the papers.
 
Crumpling the envelope as I set them on the table I took a deep breath to calm myself slightly. At least enough to keep myself from flying into a rage, which was I so close to doing. Teetering at the edge I began reading the accusations that the bitch dared to bring against me. To say that she would be sorry, well that was a sick understatement. Eyes roaming over the paper I couldn't stop the dark laugh that bubbled up out of my throat from deep within my chest.
 
Stalking and assault/battery huh? Stalking's a new one. Oh Kagome, I smirked, setting the papers down on my desk as I began to tap my fingers thoughtfully on the hard wooden surface, you should have learned. You have no idea what you've gotten yourself into this time, little temptress.
 
 
“Sango,” he purred, voice smooth as it caressed my ears, eliciting a shiver of pleasure despite the heat of the late summer air. We sat at a small table, just the two of us, at a beautiful restaurant's outdoor patio eating a candle light dinner of delicious Italian food and to say the least it was romantic. Of course with Miroku there we could have been eating a burger at a rundown diner and it would have been romantic to me. Really, I thought with a dreamy sigh, I am hopelessly crazy, over my head, dizzy, falling, drowning, utterly in love with him. Nobody else could make a cheap, greasy death burger seem romantic.
 
“Yes,” I asked, kicking myself mentally. Gotta follow the conversation here now Sango. Don't want him to ask you what you're thinking about - he's too good at catching your fibs. Unfortunately.
 
“Are you happy with me?” he asked, eyebrows knitted in worry. Well that…that was unexpected… Wait a minute?! Wait, is he breaking up with me?
 
Yes, I nearly started hyperventilating. It was either hyperventilate, faint, or have a heart attack, but to be honest I was so worried that I don't doubt I could have managed to do all three at once. I was saved at the brink of my panic attack however as his next words reached my ears.
 
“Because I'm unbelievably happy with you…” he murmured, voice rich as it flowed from his lips, a soothing balm on my snapping nerves.
 
Oh thank God!
 
“Of course I'm happy with you,” I replied, my voice somewhere between a breathy sigh and a huff - being a bit miffed about his hand in my near panic attack. Really, did he have to word it like THAT while he made THAT face? What else was I supposed to think?
 
Well, he is taking to you a ridiculously expensive restaurant, a snide voice quipped.
 
Yeah, well, Miroku - as much as I love him - is not always normal. Who knows, maybe he could've been one of those weird guys that thinks a nice dinner will help him break the bad news more gently. There are guys out there like that! For instance, take that one guy that Miya dated back in -
“Good, I'm so glad to hear it… The thing is Sango,” he gulped, face growing nervous again and I felt my heart stutter in my chest once more.
 
“Yes,” I asked, trying my damnedest to keep the apprehensive quiver out of my voice.
 
And failing miserably.
 
He tugged anxiously at his tie, pulling it into a crooked mess like he always did when under duress. What did I do? We were having such a nice time and everything!
 
“To be perfectly honest Sango… I,” he began again, voice rough with uncertainty.
 
Damn it just spit it out already! You're going to kill me if you don't hurry this up!
 
 
 
What if she says `No,'? What are you going to do then you crazy love-struck fool? This isnot something you should rush, the voice ranted as I gazed across the table at her perfect face. The woman that was more important to me than anything… What would I do if I pushed her away by asking too soon?
 
But it was already too late, I'd already started and I could tell that she was terrified, just by looking at her. Me and my clumsy wording caused by my own anxiety had just about knocked her out of her chair, it was obvious - the way her face had grown pale, the muscle in her jaw jumping as she clenched it, the hitch in her breathing, all of it told me that she was nervous. Nervous of my words. But then, she said that she was happy too, so maybe she'd thought of something else...like I was going to dump her or something.
 
Of course she couldn't have been more wrong. Honestly, they made it look so damned easy in the movies. Take the girl to a nice restaurant, create the mood and then `Poof!' the words just poured out and then you revealed that special little square box with a flourish and “Wallah!” that was it. Piece of cake, right? Simple as breathing, right?
 
WRONG.
 
Unbelievably WRONG.
 
The movies have it all WRONG. It's not easy. Your heart is lodged in your throat, you can't breath, your stomach is heaving and you feel like you could pass out - all at once. And then of course you have the wonderful voices dueling in your head, one telling you to get some balls and the other telling you to run away to live another day - preferably with your heart in tact and still able to beat.
No, this was by far the most exhausting, stressful, terrifying experience of my entire life.
 
 
“I, I'm more happy with you than maybe you can imagine…” he murmured, swallowing nervously before he continued. “The thing is Sango, that I can't imagine being with anyone else.”
 
“Neither can I,” I murmured hesitantly, my lungs stuttering while the butterflies danced around in my stomach with enough force to start a hurricane.
 
“For the rest of my life,” he finished in a breathless voice, his face tight and the shoulders under the attractive dress shirt tense, muscles visibly taut under the smooth fabric. At his words, and the meaningful gaze that held my eyes captive I suddenly realized what this was all about…
 
The restaurant, the romantic setting, the way I'd caught him glancing nervously at me as many times as I'd caught him gazing at me warmly, the reason for his sudden apprehension, it all made so much sense - in the next heartbeat I collapsed, weak as a limp noodle, against the back of the high backed chair, my heart beating frantically while my hopes soared up beyond the clouds to dance with the stars.
 
Please, I thought frantically as I tried to get a hold of myself, tell me he's doing what I think he's doing.
 
Swallowing noticeably once more he learned forward in his chair, his hands closed around something and my heart nearly jumped into my mouth, “Sango, will you give me the chance to make you as happy as I can for the rest of our lives? To live by your side until there's no breath left in me?”
 
Oh my God, oh my God, oh my GOD! I prayed incoherently in my mind as I stared at the box, held so innocently in his hand, the lid pulled back to reveal a beautiful diamond and emerald ring. Eyes no doubt as big as the platter that sat in front of me I stared too shocked to even let my jaw drop. Stiff and limp all at once I tried to get in enough oxygen to form a coherent thought, to get my brain to open my mouth and move my tongue and lips to form that one very important word.
 
Yes.
 
 
 
When I woke up in the middle of that big queen sized bed with its plush pillows and silk sheets I was a bit disoriented. Sun light was pouring through the windows and the balcony door that I had left wide open, the wind moving off the sea in a gentle current that swept through my room, running soft fingers over my face as it tugged lightly at the long strands of black hair that were spread out over the pillows like a pool of ink. Rubbing my eyes to get the sleep out of them I realized that it wasn't early and I couldn't have been happier about it. Now, I thought sleepily, the thing that would make my waking absolutely marvelous would be a big cup of coffee.
 
Stretching, my arms reaching towards the white ceiling as I sat up, a yawn pushing its way past my lips I took a moment to gaze at the view through the door that was past the end of my bed. The sea was the most beautiful blue under the loving light of the sun that hung in an azure sky, void of clouds. Breathing in deeply the smell of salt and water tickled my nose and I sighed happily.
 
“Oh yeah,” I smiled lazily, “I could get used to this.”
 
Slipping out from under the blankets I went to my bag and pulled out a white shirt, a little smocked off-the-shoulder piece that complimented my figure nicely, and a sky blue peasant skirt, embroidered at the hem and falling in graceful layers to my mid-calf. Slipping them on I moved out to the balcony, leaned on the railing and closed my eyes for a moment as I basked in the sun and lost myself in the smell and sound of the ocean.
 
Until a familiar male voice, smooth and deep as it resonated from the broad chest that I knew so well, broke the hypnotism of the scenery surrounding us. And all of a sudden the events of the night before, that mind-blowing kiss, came flooding back and went straight to my cheeks as a fire engine red blush.
 
“Good morning Kagome.” That was all he'd said. Those three little words and I had an involuntary shiver running warm, fiery fingers down my spine while my brain overloaded on the memories of the kiss. How does he do that?!
 
Fighting the vibrant blush that stained my cheeks I turned to face him, smiling brightly, “Good morning Sesshoumaru.”
 
“We haven't eaten breakfast yet, and since you seem to be dressed how does brunch sound?” he smiled, a warm expression that reached his eyes. Good grief, I could swoon right now.
 
“That sounds wonderful,” I tried to keep smiling, repeating to myself over and over again to just act normal. To say the least being with him made what should have been such a simple task unbelievably difficult. “Is Rin already awake?”
 
“Yes,” he chuckled, “she's in the shower though so she'll be a bit. Do you mind if I join you?” he motioned to indicate my balcony and I laughed.
 
“Of course, I'll unlock the door.” Moving back into my room I walked to the door, pulling back the bolt and opened it to find Sesshoumaru approaching, one hand casually in his pocket, eyes warm and friendly. I didn't notice what he held in his other hand until he stuck it in mine, a large cup of warm coffee, and grinned impishly.
 
“Your morning brew,” he chuckled lightly as he slipped an arm around my waist, shut the door and began moving me back to the balcony.
 
“How did you -“
 
“I thought you'd wake up soon so I started the machine in our room and kept it warm,” he flashed a bright grin that left me breathless as we passed the door.
 
I opened my mouth to say something when he took the cup from my hand and set it on the table before he pulled me close, wrapping his arms around my waist in a gentle manner and bowing his head to mine, our foreheads touching as his eyes held my gaze. “You look as lovely as always Kagome,” he purred, voice deep and warm enough to make me turn to goo.
 
Which I did - completely on the inside and quite a lot on the outside - as my legs grew wobbly. I opened my mouth to try and come up with a reply for that comment - not that I probably could have, my mind being kind of put out of commission by the sexy immortal that was so close - scratch that, not `kind of', `completely' - when I found those full, warm lips capturing mine in a soft, tender kiss that radiated with affection.
 
Going absolutely blank I melted into his warm hold, my arms sliding around his waist, and surrendered myself to his attentions - pure bliss under the warm Greek sun.
 
Breaking the contact after several long, heady moments he pulled back just enough to rest his forehead on mine, eyes swirling heatedly and I knew that my eyes were no different as I stared up at him, my pulse flying at an insane pace, my blood warm, and my face flushed. Smiling a little dazedly I murmured, “Good morning to you, too.”
 
A low chuckle bubbled up in his chest, breaking past his parted lips and caressing my ears with their mirth as he smiled in amusement, butting his nose against mine gently, “If one must say `good morning' this is by far the best I've ever experienced.”
 
I giggled, blushing slightly as I ran a hand through the silky strands of hair that fell down his back in a bright cascade, “I'd have to agree with you.” If I woke up to that type of treatment every morning, I thought giddily, drunk on the rush his kiss had brought, I know I would love getting up as much as any other morning person. Heck, I'd never hit the snooze button again.
 
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up Miss Dreamy Dumb, you two aren't even dating yet, I thought frantically, trying to slam down on the brakes of that runaway thought that would lead to nothing good.
 
Well, not technically, no, a stubborn voice grumbled, but for crying out loud, he's giving you every possible indication that he likes you. And that's something that even you, pessimist that you are, can't deny.
 
He was speaking again, I realized with a start and I quickly wrenched myself from my internal battle and tried to focus my very frayed attention on his words and not his lips.
 
Damn they look good.
 
Ahem. “How would you like to go to the beach today, after the auction we could all go together?” he was asking in that undeniably sexy voice that I could listen to quite happily forever.
 
Focus.
 
“Oh, the beach,” I smiled, a little miffed at how breathy and dreamy my voice came out - good grief I'm turning into a nitwit - and tried to correct with my next words, “that sounds wonderful.” I failed. I failed royally. If only you could get prizes for failing, but alas, I just felt like a dork.
 
It is completely unfair, I thought petulantly as I looked up into those molten gold depths, how he can make me feel like I'm a dork completely in over my head when no one else's been able to do that. Not that I've had that many relationships - well make that any really - but I've never felt so disoriented before…Ungh.
 
“Good,” he smiled and before I knew it his lips were brushing over mine gently, a feather's touch, before a strange sound reverberated from his chest and he moved forward, capturing my mouth in a searing kiss that left me dizzy.
 
He pulled back and opened his mouth to say something when another familiar voice piped up from the balcony next door, “Good morning Kagome.”
 
My face grew several shades whiter while my cheeks grew ten shades redder as my heart thudded against my rib cage in surprise and mortification. Oh my go-! I thought in horror as I turned to find Rin, eyes twinkling with mischief as a smile pulled on her lips, leaning casually against the railing while she watched us.
 
She caught us again! A second time! Oh my go-! my brain continued to rant. I think I'm going to pass out from embarrassment. Maybe if I close my eyes this will all just go away and -
 
“Rin, are you ready for brunch?” Sesshoumaru asked, voice smooth, a slight tint of red on his high cheekbones the only sign that he was even somewhat flustered.
 
“Yes,” she giggled. “I'm starving.”
 
“Alright then,” he smiled and the blush disappeared - if only I could have said the same for mine - before he turned to me and asked in that damned voice, “are we ready to go find some food?”
 
“Sure,” I tried to smile naturally and had the feeling I failed miserably as amusement danced briefly through Sesshoumaru's eyes.
 
Why me, I thought miserably as his arms slipped away from my waist and I moved to walk back into my room, cheeks still on fire. Only a second later though, a strong arm slipped back around my waist, guiding me back inside and I looked up into those golden orbs that still danced with amusement and promptly decided that I had nothing to be miserable about. How many other people got to have Sesshoumaru Taisho look at them like that first thing in the morning?
 
 
I was on cloud nine. I was dancing in the stars. I was in paradise. I was the luckiest man alive! In short?
 
I was ENGAGED.
 
To the world's most unbelievable woman. Oh yeah, I could not be happier right now. That terrifying, daunting task of actually forcing the words out of my dry mouth to ask her had been well worth it the second her sweet lips formed that one word that brought all of my hopes and dreams to beautiful fruition. Who knew that one word, one nod, could make me feel like I was going to explode from happiness?
 
 
To put it lightly Greece had left me dizzy. I looked over at the regal man who sat in the car next to me, driving me back to my apartment Thursday night and couldn't help the flutter of paper-thin wings that danced about in my stomach. Officially we still weren't going out but…
 
Well, to put it nicely I'm often the densest, most clueless one of anybody when it comes to someone's feelings for me - I always seem to be the last one to know for sure, but then again, is that my fault? It's not like I've had that many guys that ended up being brave enough to do something so maybe it's not my problem that I'm bad at figuring it out but, well, with Sesshoumaru I was now at the point of `no denial'. It would be beyond ridiculous to even try to say that he was less than very interested. No, if you were only kind of interested you didn't kiss like that - multiple times. And you don't look at the person like that, making them melt helplessly each time. Not if you were a good guy - which Sesshoumaru was - so there you go. He was definitely interested without a doubt so even though we weren't dating yet I was pretty content.
 
Thinking about Greece I continued to stare at his perfect face. Mmm, I thought dreamily as he felt my lingering gaze and turned to give me a dazzling smile. “Are you tired,” he chuckled, probably thinking that my dazed look was due to the long flight. Good alibi, I thought with a dry laugh.
 
“A little,” I replied truthfully, “but I feel really great,” I finished with a smile of my own. That was the truth too, sure I felt dizzy and completely off-kilter because of Sesshoumaru but not in an unpleasant way. Far from it. My feeling at the moment was exactly what I would imagine walking on clouds would be like, light, relaxed, warm - safe.
 
“I'm glad that you were able to come along with us,” he smiled, running a hand through his hair before returning it to the wheel while he turned smoothly into the lot at my apartment.
 
As he pulled the car into a space and put it in park I laughed, teasing, “Able to come with you? I have the distinct memory that a certain businessman was doing everything he could do to -“
 
My joke was put to an end as he turned, arms snaking around my waist and pulling me forward, simultaneously bringing his lips down on mine in a playful kiss. Pulling away just enough to speak, his breath warm on my lips, he growled playfully as his fingers grasped at the soft material at the back of the grey Bouclé cowl neck sweater I was wearing, “That is besides the point.”
 
“Oh but you said you would beg to-“
 
Once again I was rewarded for my efforts with the same form of punishment, except this one was more emphatic and left me completely breathless. If I could've gotten the muscles in my face to work I would've smirked when I noticed that he was in the same state of pleasant agitation . Voice low, moving up from his chest and out of his perfect lips he asked, “I'll admit it. I would have begged. Does that make you happy Kagome?”
 
“No, actually,” I managed to grin wolfishly before I slipped my hand behind his neck, fingers twining in the impossible silkiness of his hair, and pulled him close, claiming his lips with mine for the first time. Pulling away I whispered shyly, my boldness catching up with me and burning a path of red across my cheeks, “That makes me happy.”
 
His eyes, warm and hungry, flashed with an emotion so quickly that I couldn't even begin to guess what it had been before he purred happily and slid his lips over mine, fire dancing against fire and I lost track of time - it wasn't long, I knew, but it seemed like it was forever wrapped in a mere moment. When we parted, I felt lightheaded and scatterbrained and wonderfully happy if not content. Oh no, who can be content when you're kissing Sesshoumaru? No, I'm not out of my mind, don't get me wrong, I am content in the moment but I'm not content overall. Why? Isn't it obvious? Are you dense? I don't want to stop!
 
“Sango is-“ he started before I cut him off with a light chuckle.
 
“Yes,” I waved my hand dismissively, “she's coming over to spend the night with me.” I looked at my watch, a little bit awkward because I had to untangle my unwilling fingers from his hair so I could see the glowing hands of the watch, “She should be here in… Five minutes?”
 
“Good,” he purred, a hand releasing my sweater to move up, brushing my cheek before it dove into the thick hair at my temple while he brought his face up to mine once more, butting my nose gently. “And Damn,” he growled and I nearly fainted from the heat that laced the tone and the fire in his eyes.
 
“Mm,” I said smartly. Honestly, what could I have said, my tongue was completely uncooperative and any witty part of my brain that I might possess had a fried circuit at the moment. Sesshoumaru didn't seem to care though because he came back to knock me off my feet - figuratively speaking of course since I was sitting in the passenger seat - all over again. I was beginning to lose track of how much we'd kissed this week. I rather liked that.
 
Five minutes later - on the dot - Sango walked into the parking lot, high heels clicking smartly as she moved to go up the stairs near my apartment. I wouldn't have noticed but Sesshoumaru did and pulled back - much to my disappointment and relief - I mean come on, I didn't want to do anything stupid and the guy had me reeling more than I thought possible and we were just kissing - and straightened in his seat, eyes glassy with a healthy flush on his cheeks as he ran a hand through his hair. Exhaling deeply he released the air in a shuddering breath before he turned back to me, eyes warm, “I'll see you tomorrow then?”
 
“Un,” I smiled, trying desperately myself to calm my racing heart before we exited the car. “That sounds nice.”
 
“I'll bring Ran by tomorrow after I pick her up from Inuyasha's,” he added as he smiled and got out of the car with an impossibly fluid movement, going to the trunk and lifting out my bag with ease. Climbing out I walked around to the back but didn't even bother asking him to hand the bag to me; he'd insisted on carrying it anytime there hadn't been a valet to do it during the vacation. I didn't see it as coddling though or as an insult - I saw it as his way of showing me that he thought I was worth the trouble, worth the effort. I rather liked it. He normally opened the door of the car for me too, but I'd gotten out before he could come around. Leaning forward with a broad smile he kissed me gently on the lips, “Let's not keep her waiting shall we?”
 
Can we? I thought giddily but just nodded, his smile infectious. I realized that he smiled a lot more than I would have ever expected. He didn't smile very much in the magazine pictures - especially the covers. There was sometimes a slight upturning of the lips, but more often than not the intelligent, I-know-I'm-damned-good-at-my-job, you-will-never-beat-me expression was what the magazine's captured. And let me tell you, he looked darn good that way, no doubt, but that smile, the full-out, happy smile was beyond gorgeous and I have to admit I'm glad to have seen it so much.
 
It was all Sesshoumaru; that cold, calculating expression, the mischievous smirk, the concern, the warmth, the passion - it was all him and I knew that I'd already fallen for him - every aspect - as ridiculous as it was. I mean, yeah - fast. It hadn't been love at first sight or anything like that, but the truth was I still felt a little silly falling for him so hard so fast. I mean, I knew now that he liked me for me sure - thank God considering my feelings concerning him - but the man was way beyond my league in my opinion and well, a temporary infatuation, however affectionate and wonderful it may be while it lasted, would be devastating. He was everything I wanted and more, the piece that made me feel complete. I silently hoped - fervently - that it wasn't just a temporary thing for him and that he felt the same way I did but was interrupted from my worrying by the cheerful voice of my best friend as she caught sight of us from the top of the stairs.
 
Can't really miss a guy with long white hair in a black parking lot.
 
Well, if he's not trying to hide from you… Somehow I get the feeling that he could pull it off if he wanted to.
 
“Kagome, Sesshoumaru!” she shouted happily, “How was the land of the Gods?”
 
I laughed despite myself, throwing away my worries as I walked shoulder to shoulder with Sesshoumaru who was smiling pleasantly, “The land of the Gods my dear is heaven on earth. No joke.”
 
“No joke, huh?” she asked, an eyebrow rising, “I'm impressed. It must be pretty good… You brought me back something of course?”
 
“What kind of friend would I be if I didn't,” I winked, stepping lightly up the steps and realized that my feet were the only ones that made any sound.
 
Yeah, I decided, if he didn't want you to find him, you wouldn't find him. Even with that hair that screams `look at me, I'm gorgeous!'. I resisted the urge to snort in amusement as we reached the top of the stairs before Sango threw her arms around me, “You're looking good dear,” she chirped happily.
 
“It's all that sun and sea salt,” I giggled, hugging her back just as fiercely.
 
Sesshoumaru chuckled from behind me before he muttered quietly, “Hardly.”
 
“Hardly,” I asked, craning my neck to look back at the tall man who stood there with an amused tilt to his full lips, “What exactly is that supposed to mean, Mister?”
 
A perfect eyebrow rose up as the tilt turned into an mischievous smirk, “No amount of sun and sea salt could help some people.”
 
“Sesshoumaru,” I gasped surprised, “that's just mea-“
 
Sango's raucous laughter drowned me out before she wheezed, arms wrapped around her stomach, “He has a point Kagome.”
 
Sesshoumaru's other eyebrow rose to join the other as he gave me an innocent look, “I was only being honest. I just meant that you always look good so that the trip has nothing to do with it.”
 
I opened my mouth to argue when Sango's laughter rang out loudly once more, music on the night air, “You, Mr. Taisho,” she snorted as she shook a finger at him, “I approve of you.”
 
Blushing fiercely I pulled at Sango's arm as I dug around frantically in my purse, searching as always for my keys in the cavernous pit. Finding them I stabbed the key into the hole and turned it with a practiced ease, throwing the door open and dragging a hysterical Sango behind me as an amused Sesshoumaru trailed behind, bag in hand. I can't believe she just said that, oh boy…
 
Sesshoumaru didn't help the situation either as he moved into the entrance way and set the bag down just beyond the step up from the shoe area. “Why thank you Sango,” he smiled, nodding graciously at her.
 
“Your quite welcome,” she turned to bow dramatically before I elbowed her in the ribs. As discreetly as possible.
 
Sesshoumaru's lips twitched as he obviously tried to stifle a laugh and he stepped forward to the edge of the shoe area. Before I knew it he had an arm around my waist, pulling me close for what seemed like the first and the hundredth time all at once and placed a gentle kiss on my lips, murmuring a “Good night” against them before he stepped back. “Good night Sango,” he smiled in her direction and then with one last glance that sent a shiver down my spine he left, closing the door behind him.
 
“Oh my God,” she breathed as she leaned against the wall for support. “That was a prayer by the way,” she muttered distractedly, eyes trained on the door as if he was still there.
 
I stared at the door too, frozen to the spot as I managed to nod, “Yeah.”
 
“Wow,” she added breathlessly.
 
“You're telling me,” I mumbled numbly. Kicking the rusty gears in my brain I finally picked up one foot and turned, moving one step at a time as I picked up my bag and carried it to my living room where I collapsed limply on the couch. Looking over my shoulder I found Sango still facing the door and staring at it before I called her name. Jumping she turned her head and laughed, a blush staining her cheeks for the briefest of moments.
 
“Sorry,” she laughed, “but man.
 
I grunted as I pulled roughly on the zipper of the main pocket of my bag and pulled it open before I began scrambling around for the presents for Sango. “You have a lot to tell me you know,” she stared pointedly at me and I blushed. “Oh yeah, make that a ton,” she smirked impishly.
 
I grumbled darkly under my breath and she laughed, “If you do I'll show you something too.”
 
“Oh really,” I asked, looking up at her eagerly, “show me, show me!”
 
“Nope, you first,” she chuckled, waving an admonishing finger in my face.
 
“Fine, fine,” I rolled my eyes, “but presents first. Close your eyes.” She followed my instructions and I pulled out the first gift, a cookbook of Greek food and placed it in her hands before I picked up the next clump - postcards ranging from scenic to postcards featuring different saints from the churches. “Not yet,” I mumbled as I fished around for the smallest present, a delicate chain necklace with the blue glass evil eye set into a gold base and a matching pair of earrings. “Alright,” I chirped as I plunked them down on top of the pile, “you can open them now.”
 
She did just that and let out a happy squeal, “Ooh, what's this?” she cooed, picking up the blue jewelry - Sango was nearly as much of a sucker for blue as I was, the only other color that she liked better, at least when it came to jewelry, being green. The girl loved emeralds like none other.
 
“It's a Blue Glass Eye, sometimes called an Evil Eye. They're supposed to ward off evil and bring good luck from what I understood,” I shrugged, “but I thought it was pretty. I got myself a matching set too so we can do look alike,” I winked.
 
“Sweet,” she grinned, riffling through the postcards slowing, her eyes running over each photo with a hungry appreciation. “Man, it is gorgeous. And to think - you were going to turn him down. Now aren't you glad that-“
 
“Hush,” I grumbled and she glanced up me, laughing.
 
“Well, you know I have a point but besides that, I have to admit, I would love to go there,” she shook her head appreciatively. “I should start watching ticket prices.”
 
“What for,” I asked curiously as I leaned back into the pillows at the back of the couch, letting myself get swallowed in the soft plush.
 
“No reason, mostly curiosity,” she shrugged as she set the jewelry and postcards down on the coffee table and started leafing through the cookbook.
 
“I don't know how many of the ingredients we'll be able to find,” I chuckled, motioning at the book with a shrug, “but I thought it would be fun to at least try some of the stuff. The food was unbelievable, Sango,” I grinned. “I could eat Greek food everyday quite happily.”
 
“And drop sushi?” she gasped, eyes wide.
 
“No way,” I laughed, “ I'd be eating my maguro right along with the moussaka and the dolmathes.”
 
“What the heck is that?” she laughed, eyebrows shooting up at the sound of the foreign words.
 
Grabbing the book out of her hands I flipped to the contents and found the foods in question and explained them to her before she nodded and licked her lips, “Yeah Kags, you're right, it does look really good. What's say we go wild in the kitchen this weekend, huh?” she winked and I snorted.
 
“Sounds good.”
 
“Great, now down to business,” she started, eyes sharpening quickly. “Spill it. All of it. Oh and get me your camera too, I want to look at pictures while I hear all the juicy details.”
 
“Demanding, demanding,” I teased, reaching into the purse on my lap and pulling out the small digital camera, flipping it on before I passed it to her.
 
“Ooh, a plane,” she gushed as the first picture came up and I slapped her playfully on the shoulder. She slapped me right back, grinning evilly as she flipped to the next picture, “Forgive me for looking forward to the juicy stuff.”
 
“You wanna hear it or no-“
 
Snapping those intelligent, journalist eyes back to my face she barked out in a laugh, “I do want to hear. I'll be quiet I promise.”
 
I huffed and started in, telling her in detail about the trip and trying to avoid the whole kissing issue but she didn't buy it for a minute and by the time I was done, her teasing comments peppering the conversation, I was as red as a ripe tomato. “Well, well,” she teased, crossing her arms over her chest after she set the camera down on the table, “he is quite a catch, dear.”
 
“He's not a catch. He's not mine,” I blustered, my blush darkening as I secretly couldn't have agreed with her more. She called me on it.
 
“Bull-shite,” she snickered wickedly, “you know it just as well as I do, he is totally into you. And what a guy,” she breathed as she glanced at the door again, “I mean, he's actually someone that I would say almost deserves you.”
 
“Almost,” I gurgled, eyebrows raised dubiously.
 
“Almost,” she waved flippantly. “No one in my highly qualified opinion is completely good enough for, but boy, that man's as close as it's going to get I think.”
 
“Your highly qualified opinion, huh?”
 
“That's right, you bet your boots Kags,” she waggled her eyebrows at me dramatically. “You're my best friend so I'm just saying, he's officially passed the `best friend' radar and tests.”
 
I chuckled and she grinned, “I mean, Kags, he said you were beautiful even when you have that split lip and stuff - courtesy of the creature from the darkest, slimiest pits of Hell who's going to get his ass kicked in court by Taisho & Sons' lawyer on Sunday,” she finished, her grin turning into a violent scowl. “Sorry to mention the pig but really, I mean, I had to just point that out about Sesshoumaru. I think from his behavior that he'll definitely be one of those guys that would still think you were gorgeous even if you were all wrinkly and stuff.”
 
“I just hope it's not a temporary thing,” I mumbled before I could stop myself and she pounced.
 
“Oh good grief,” she growled, eyes protective. “Look, I can tell you right now, as an outside party who saw that… that kiss and that look he gave you before he shut the door - I can tell you that it's not something temporary. He has it bad for you, I'd bet my… My entire collection of shoes on it!” she declared emphatically.
 
“Wow,” I muttered, eyes wide.
 
“Yeah, that's right,” she smirked, “all my shoes on it, he's not a temporary guy who's waltzed into your life to sweep you off your feet for a little while. If I'm wrong, I'll give you all my shoes.”
 
“Pretty sure, aren't ya,” I chuckled.
 
“Dang right I am,” she grinned and I remember that she had something to show me.
 
“So… I've told you everything now, and you've teased me unmercifully I might add, so what was it you had to show me,” I asked, my curiosity growing by leaps and bounds as she suddenly grew shy. Okay, yeah, something big is up, I thought giddily as I pinned her with a wicked look that said, `Spill it or else.'
 
“Well,” she squirmed, eyes bashful - a very sudden switch from the teasing deviant of a few seconds earlier, “I, um.” She reached into her sweater pocket and fumbled with something small, “The thing is…”
 
She blushed and held out her hand, offering me a clear view of the small golden band that rested innocently on the palm of her hand and the room exploded into a great cacophony of sound.
 
 
Ten minutes later, after I'd calmed down even to speak normally and was no longer jumping up and down on the couch with crows of “I told you so's” and “I knew it's,” I leaned casually on the back of the couch and pinned her with a smug look. “Well, congratulations are in order I think,” I smirked devilishly and watched with delight as she blushed. Oh revenge, how sweet it is…
 
“Why weren't you wearing it earlier though? Wanted to surprise me,” I grinned.
 
“Yeah, that was the idea but,” she shook her head, eyes slightly glazed over, “I definitely wasn't expecting such…such…”
 
“You should have known better,” I teased, giving her a playful push, “after all being my best friend you've seen me lose it plenty of times,” I finished with a snicker.
 
“Yeah,” she muttered dumbly but then shook her head, “but never like that. My gosh, did you take a hit of something before you got here or was that natural.”
 
“You better believe it was 100% natural,” I flashed her a winning smile as I plucked the ring from her palm to examine it closely. “Ooo, it's so sparkly,” I cooed, eyes going all starry.
 
“All right you troll,” she laughed, “back away from the jewels. Back away.”
 
“But it's so pretty,” I teased and then let out an indignant “Ow,” rubbing my head where she'd bopped it as she simultaneously snatched back her ring.
 
Slipping it onto her finger she murmured quietly, growing suddenly serious, “I never… I never thought that it would - that he would, you know… That-“
 
“He would finally ask you?” I snickered, “You weren't the only one who's been waiting. I've wanted you two to get hitched forever. That right there is the trigger for my explosion, Sango. No illegal substances or anything - just pure, unadulterated, `damn am I happy for you' excitement. Pure and simple,” I winked and thought happily, It's about time after all, thank God they're finally tying the knot.
 
 
The case took place on Sunday, the 23rd of September and to say it was…unpleasant…would be a hideous understatement. Of the century, perhaps even the millennium. Naraku was as mad as a spitting cobra that's been stepped on.
 
Because he had been stepped on.
 
For the first time ever.
 
He had gotten his hand in a cookie jar that was tougher to get the cookie out of than he'd realized. All thanks to a particular dog demon that had taken interest and had brought his own power and prestige into play and for the first time one of Naraku's victims was able to have a fair trial. What a bloody novel concept, right? But get this, the guy actually tried to bribe the police, the judges, my lawyer - a last ditch attempt I heard - and even tried to get one of his goons to sneak into the police station and break into the evidence room to destroy the physical evidence. Yeah, that's right, that oughta teach the bastard that nowadays leaving blood lying around? It ain't such a bright idea. Guess nobody had ever been able to hammer that idea home to the big lug though 'cause all the other physical evidence brought before the courts previously had been ignored or hadn't even made it to the courts. Surprise, surprise, the man got his hands into everyone's pockets when he had to make an appearance in court and the only reason my evidence had a) made it to court and b) not been ignored was because of my dashing, white haired defender who apparently held more sway than even the Cobra. Thank God.
 
I looked over, exhausted and weak as a newborn kitten, from where I sat behind the small table next to my cousin, Kikyo, and watched as Naraku's face nearly turned purple with rage. I also noticed, angrily, that his two secretaries looked a little worse for wear - in other words they were sporting several nasty bruises on their necks that they barely managed to hide under their professional, high-collared shirts. That and the littlest one, with voids for eyes, seemed to be limping and I had the sinking suspicion that as soon as Naraku could he'd do a lot worse. I shuddered, wrapping an arm around myself and tried not to think of their fate when he got out.
 
I'd spent the entire time being torn between a blind urge to run away as he kept sending me looks oozing terrifying poison, as if he really could kill me with his eyes, and the urge to at least try to punch the living daylights of him and do something that would make sure he'd never stick his you-know-what in anyone's general direction ever again. My second urge grew stronger when his death glare would randomly, in the blink of an eye, turn lecherous but then after a while he would go back to trying to murder with those black eyes instead of stripping me with them. Talk about confused and probably harboring a split personality - one with no nice side, we had murderer and lecher, oh joy.
 
Needless to say, after the whole long process finally came to a close I was almost too exhausted to celebrate like I wanted to. I would have been happy to have the creep put in a very dark cell, far, far down where there was no light, for a very, very long time - preferably until he was dead. I'm not normally this…harsh, but seriously, the guy had gotten away with so much stuff and I didn't need to be a rocket scientist to know that he was Eeevile. Yes with a capitol `E', I mean, if you ever met the guy or had him look at you - or worse, touch you - you would know what I mean. The guy was truly the epitome of evil. Honest to goodness evil - an oxymoron I know, but bear with me.
 
He didn't get sentenced until death of course - sigh - because even with my charges that particular sentence wouldn't work. No, for stalking I got a restraining order that held quite a punch - thank you Kikyo - and then a fine as well as a sentence that required him to spend some time with the city's finest. That last one was the icing on the cake really. Not only had Kikyo and Sesshoumaru managed to pin him with a charge for the first time ever they had managed to get him time in the joint! It wasn't nearly long enough of course but I was happy to know that for at least for two months I wouldn't have to worry about the creep.
 
Oh the restraining order? Yeah, that goes beyond two months of course - he just has jail time for two months and has to pay me a fine of $5000 since the normal sentence for battery is up to a maximum of six months behind bars. He forked out some more money to get a shorter sentence - unfortunately. I don't care about the money - the safety of mind and body knowing that he's locked up somewhere is more than worth the extra money I'm getting, however, I was happy with what I could get. But the restraining order, right? That should keep me safe, right?
 
Um, look, how can I put this gently… WRONG. So wrong. If you'd been there and seen him you'd know deep down just like I did as I watched him being led stiffly from the room, his aura nearly tangible around him as he radiated with fury, that my little restraining order - while it did pack quite a punch if it was broken - was only a little piece of paper that he probably in all honestly didn't give a crap about.
 
Think about it, the man's broken tons of laws countless times and I've just managed to make him even more ticked off - do you honestly think that he's going to see that restraining order and the threats of punishment it carries and step back, hands held up defensively and say, “Oh gee. I guess I better not try to get even. Oh boy. A restraining order... That's pretty scary. Oh gawly.”
 
Ehe, yeah, I didn't think so.
 
So that was it - two months of safety and then I'd have to be watching my back again but I was more than grateful for even that two months. Couldn't have been happier but expressing it would have required physical action which I felt was too much to even attempt.
 
Did I mention I was dead tired after the Cobra had gotten done killing and stripping me with those twisted eyes for way too long? Because I a-
 
“Kagome,” Kikyo was saying as she put a gentle hand on my shoulder, tearing me from my tired ramblings, “it's over. It's not much I'm sorry, but I'm just glad that we even got him convicted, the rat.” I looked back at my cousin, slowly because I had a headache the size of Australia, and took in the triumphant light that filled her brown eyes, the slight tilt of her lips - always so expressionless except for when she was arguing. Oh Kikyo.
 
“No, thank you so much. If it wasn't for you and Sesshoumaru I wouldn't have even had a chance at all,” I managed to form the words and fought doggedly to pull my lips into a smile, at least something that had a semblance of a smile, and she nodded, her lips pulling higher.
 
“It was our pleasure,” she squeezed my shoulder gently before she stood up and began to shuffle her papers into her briefcase. I groaned and began to tense my legs in an attempt to lift myself from the chair when Sesshoumaru, followed by Sango and Miroku, passed the gate that separated the viewers from the defendant and prosecutor. In a fluid movement he lifted me from the chair and kept a hand on my waist for support as he gazed down at me, eyes worried.
 
“You look exhausted,” he murmured, brow furrowed as if this displeased him greatly. Aaw, you're such a sweet guy, I thought giddily as I leaned heavily on the large hand that held me so easily. You spoil me…But I am not complaining, I giggled happily. Needless to say exhaustion coupled with a killer headache makes me a tad bit loopy.
 
“Yeah,” Miroku and Sango peered around him worriedly, “you don't look so hot Kags.”
 
I laughed weakly and turned to face them, face bemused, “Do I really look that bad?”
 
“No, no-“ Sesshoumaru started to purr in assurance as he squeezed my waist in a comforting gesture.
 
“You look like you've been run over by a truck,” Sango cut him off matter-of-factly, lips turned up in an amused smile as she glanced at Sesshoumaru. “It's not that you look bad,” she turned back to me, eyes growing sympathetic, “but you do look like you could collapse.”
 
“I feel like it,” I chuckled.
 
“Of course you do,” Sesshoumaru sighed, walking me toward the gate, “we all saw how he was watching you.”
 
“Yeah,” Miroku laughed loudly, “I thought you might lose it Sesshoumaru.”
 
Sango giggled at my confused look and Sesshoumaru's light blush, “I have to agree,” she shrugged apologetically.
 
“I merely wanted to rip his eyes out like I could have done if it were only a few centuries earlier. This modern age, unfortunately, won't let me deal with things as I would prefer to,” he grumbled, the blush growing darker.
 
If someone would have told me when I moved to Tokyo back in April that in September I would be in a courtroom, leaning on Sesshoumaru Taisho for support as my two best friends teased the handsome youkai about his violent version of protection I would have told that person to `just say no to drugs' because I would have thought they were on something. And a lot of it. I was used to having him around now, of course, I loved it in fact, but there were still these moments where it hit me and all of a sudden it all felt so surreal that I wondered if I'd been having an elaborate dream all night that spanned the space of months.
 
Or maybe I'm in a coma…
 
 
I thought I'd seen Naraku mad, furious to the point of insanity - this week being the worst - but it was nothing compared to the rage that boiled in him today and I realized that my life as well as Kanna's was forfeit. We had two months to get our battered bodies somewhere - the middle of Podunk nowhere, change our identities and disappear as much as we could - damned to spend the rest of our lives praying that he never found us. I doubted all the prayers would help but it certainly didn't mean I was going to sit idly, waiting for my death at his hands or at the hands of one of his countless thugs. Even now it was like I could feel the thug's big, fat fingers attached to those strong hands the size of Christmas hams wrapping around my neck in a grip of unforgiving steel as they squeezed the life out of me.
 
I shivered and turned to Kanna, my mind made up, “We have to get out of here. Now.”
 
“So it would seem,” she said in that eerie voice, “Do you have any suggestions for a destination?”
 
“As far away as we can get,” I sighed, slumping against the wall of the office where we'd come to after the case to get some files. “Get all of your money out of the bank now, before he gets a hold of it and freezes it somehow. We need to be on a plane two minutes ago.”
 
She just nodded, face blank, before she swept out of the room and disappeared down the long hall, leaving me alone in the tense darkness of the office.
 
 
“How did it go?” I asked my Dad as soon as he stepped through the door with his arm around Kagome's shoulders to lend her support, my nose telling me that Sango and Miroku were following only a few feet behind. Kagome looked exhausted, Dad looked protective, and when Sango and Miroku appeared they both had such a mixture of protectiveness and the happy glow that hadn't left them since they became engaged that I nearly laughed. Nothing, it seemed, according to Kagome who'd told me about the engagement, could dim that glow that seemed to surround them. It filled their eyes and radiated off of their blissful faces - in short they looked like they were walking around in a jovial daze 24/7.
 
“We won as much as the court system would allow,” Dad replied and I could tell just from the tone that he had mixed feelings about it. “I thought that we could make dinner for them since Kagome's so tired,” he said as he took her to the couch where she promptly collapsed into the cushioning. She smelled tired. I frowned and jumped onto the couch beside her, snuggling close and taking her hand in mine.
 
“Hey Rin,” she smiled. “How're you doing hun? I heard you have a court date this week too, huh?”
 
“Yeah,” I chuckled. “But I'm actually looking forward to this one. It's just the final date to give all of the custody over to Dad so I won't have to visit my mom anymore,” I smiled broadly.
 
She wrapped her arm around me and gave me her other hand to hold as she squeezed me gently in a one armed hug, “I'm so glad to hear that. It's been so hard for you both.” She paused thoughtfully and the sound of pans and lively chatter exploded noisily from the cavernous kitchen as the others started getting dinner ready. “I really wished I could have done something to help,” she finally mumbled, eyes looking off into the distance, unseeing, as if she was talking more to herself than to me. “He looked so sad sometimes and I wanted to do something to make it go away…And when you'd come to school after a weekend with your mother you'd look so unhappy but I didn't know what I could do… It's awful to see someone so sad but I couldn't think of anything.”
 
I looked up at her surprised, the compassion and desire to help ringing clearly in her voice. “But Teacher,” I said before I could stop myself, “didn't you know?”
 
“Know what Rin?” she asked curiously, her eyes still touched with sadness. Sadness for my father and I.
 
“You've,” I swallowed around the emotions that were bubbling up in my throat, “you've been helping us since the moment you walked into our lives.”
 
“But I haven't done anything,” she started, eyes widening slightly as her brows pulled together in bewilderment.
 
I shook my head, torn between a giggle and a sigh. For someone so smart I was surprised she hadn't noticed it, but then again she hadn't seen my Dad at home as much as I had and she hadn't seen him when he was still with my mother. She had no point of reference like I did so I guess I couldn't blame her for being so out of the loop. But she won't be for long, I thought with a chuckle. Dad would be sooo embarrassed if he knew I told her, but they're making enough racket in the kitchen that if I whisper in her ear he probably won't notice. I hope.
 
“Kagome, you've done more than anyone's ever done,” I tried to explain, my voice a quiet whisper tickling her ear.
 
Turning with even more confusion apparent on her tired face she said, “But I haven't done anything special. I mean I-“
 
I put a finger to her lip and elaborated. Quietly. “You don't realize it because you never saw my Dad before he met you but… Do remember the time when he got distant and cold? During the summer? He was just as shut off back then,” I sighed and continued, “She hurt him so badly and after that he would only open up around family, me the most, but it was so hard to watch him and know that despite his unruffled manner underneath he was hurting. I did everything I could but I could only do so much and I'd almost given up hope that someone could reach him.” Looking up at her blue eyes as she turned towards me, surprise and the beginnings of wonderment swirling in the blue waves, I continued in an even quieter voice. “And then we met you.”
 
“But I-“
 
“You've just been you Kagome, and by being you you've fixed it and even made it better,” I threw a look over my shoulder, ears twitching slightly as a particularly loud crash of metal sounded, followed by a musical peal of laughter from Sango, before I was brave enough to continue. I had to hurry it up though before Dad caught me so I squared my shoulders and turned back to her ear, “He was never this happy with my mom. Never.”
 
She pulled back with a vibrant blush and looked slightly scandalized and worried. “Rin,” she chided in a gentle voice, “that's not true surely. You shouldn't talk about your parents like that. I'm sure that they were very hap-“
 
I giggled, “Kagome, I'm serious. I can tell you right now - not just from my own memories but also from things that my Uncle and Grandfather have told me - that they were happy in the beginning but it was different. My Dad trusted her and she did a really good job of tricking him and then not long after they got married she showed her true colors. Dad's already fragile trust was shattered. That's why,” I looked over my shoulder once more. “That's why he tried to shut you out during the summer. He was afraid of trusting someone again. I'm sorry he did that but he did it because he was starting to-“
 
She was as red as a beat and looked like she might faint as she put a hand carefully over my mouth, “Um,” she swallowed, face rigid with embarrassment, “I, uh. I think maybe your Dad wouldn't, um, appreciate you, well, you know, telling me all this. It's, you know, it's private and so-“
 
I pulled back from her hand with a quiet laugh, “Ok, ok.” I smiled, “But the point is Kagome, you've made both our lives brighter just by being you,” I wrapped my arms around her and breathed in her comforting scent and couldn't keep myself from wishing that she would permanently brighten our lives. As in never leave. She wrapped her arms around me, pulling me into her lap and burying her nose in my hair as she ran her fingers through it.
 
The scent of tears pricked my nose for the briefest moment and she whispered in a watery voice, “The same goes for the both of you, Rin. The very same. I'm so glad that I've gotten to meet both of you.”
 
 
Rin's words on Sunday had left me reeling and it was already Wednesday and I still hadn't gotten over it. I was touched deeply but felt embarrassed and guilty at having heard such personal things about Sesshoumaru and his past marriage from Rin. I felt like I should have made her stop a lot sooner but my accursed curiosity and exhaustion left me sitting there dumbly, blushing violently as she told me things about Sesshoumaru that I felt I should hear from his lips. I felt as bad as if I'd sat there and let her read his diary out loud to me or something.
 
But it was done and a part of me felt terribly happy. I really hadn't done anything to help I'd thought, but if what Rin said was true I was overjoyed with the knowledge that the sadness that held both of them in its grip was being destroyed. I remember months ago when I saw Sesshoumaru's sadness and wished desperately to fix it but thought that I couldn't touch him. But somehow, according to Rin, I had reached him and I was more than grateful.
 
And utterly embarrassed.
 
How many people have conversations like that with six year olds? The girl was so smart it was mind-boggling. I knew she was a genius but it still sometimes threw me for a loop and Sunday's conversation definitely knocked me off my feet.
 
But to say the least, my worries about Sesshoumaru's feelings for me being temporary were dashed after our little girl talk. Rin was smart and so I didn't doubt that I could trust her judgment. But I felt a little embarrassed about her claim that he was happier with me than he'd even been with his… his wife! I mean, what?! How am I supposed to react to that? I feel guilty for wanting to do a victory dance…
 
I sighed as I watched the reason for my current emotional chaos as she weeded in the little garden we'd made at the school - blissfully ignorant of my confused thoughts. I adored all of the children but Rin, well Rin held a special place in my heart and I found that everyday I was growing more attached to her. And her father. Ungh, I groaned, You are in way over your head Kags.
 
“Teacher,” Rin chirped suddenly from her spot on the ground where she was working. “Are you alright?”
 
“Hn?” I asked, snapping out of my thoughts. “Of course, what's up?”
 
“Well,” she giggled, “your cell phone is vibrating.” She pointed at the pocket in my dress slacks.
 
“Oh,” I laughed and dove a hand into the pocket without a thought and answered just as the answering machine turned on, “Hello. Kagome Higurashi speaking. How may I -“
 
“Long. Too long,” Sango laughed.
 
“Geez, someone's impatient,” I teased.
 
“Yeah, well someone's my maid of honor,” she retorted. “And I have a question for her, you mind handing her the phone for me?”
 
“Ouch, you made Rin your maid of honor and not me? I'm crushed,” I whined.
 
“Haha,” she laughed dryly. “How you doin' Kags,” she asked voice instantly moving into her normal cheerful tones.
 
“Excellent,” I smiled, watching the kids as they worked happily in the garden. “We're out gardening right now, but you couldn't wait another,” I looked at my watch, “ten minutes to call? I'm not really supposed to be on the phone during work hours.”
 
“Oh shoot, sorry I forgot the clocks here got bumped up ten minutes,” she groaned, “apparently the boss thought it would be a good way to make us rush and write faster.”
 
“That doesn't make any sense. Everyone'll just get there ten minutes late everyday,” I chuckled.
 
“I know. Don't ask me why he thought it was a good idea. But anyway, I was just wondering if you could come over and look at dresses with me tonight?”
 
“Of course, my dear,” I grinned. “You know I wouldn't miss it.”
 
“Alright then, see you at?”
 
“How about 4?” I offered, calculating the time it would take to go home, collect Ran and go to Sango's apartment.
 
“Wonderful,” she gushed happily, “Alright, see you then, thanks for picking up.”
 
“No worries,” I laughed, “Bye-bye.” I hung up and smiled happily before I felt the strange sensation of eyes burning into the back of my skull and turned around to find the Craisin glaring at me from the exit to the playground.
 
The smile melted off my face and I gave an apologetic bow as she stomped over in a manner that promptly made me remember Sesshoumaru's “elephant in army boots” comment and I nearly laughed. Looking up guiltily I found her glowering at me in her usual stern manner. Seriously, I thought with a giggle, it's no wonder she looks like a Craisin with how much she's always scowling and frowning. The woman needs to learn to smile.
 
“Ms. Higurashi,” she growled. “Do I need to remind that you are at work and while at work one does not chat on their cell phones?”
 
“No Ms. Suzuki,” I bowed again. “I apologize. My friend called earlier than she meant to.”
 
“Just because someone calls doesn't mean you have to pick up,” she grumbled, arms crossed over her chest. Her favorite stance - I liked to call it her “power stance”.
 
“Of course Ms. Suzuki. I am very sorry,” I bowed again and she sighed like a martyr.
 
“Just see it doesn't happen again,” she finally muttered, sounding vaguely disappointed. I suspected once again that she liked a good argument. Except with the donors of the school of course, I thought with a dry laugh, helpless teachers are another matter entirely. You old warhorse.
 
“Yes Ms. Suzuki,” I replied, holding the necessary amount of repentance and appreciation in my tone as she turned her back on me and marched back into the school. As soon as she was out of earshot Rin snorted and I looked back at her in surprise.
 
“The Grinch is in a lovely mood today,” she giggled and she yanked out another weed.
 
 
It was Saturday night and Rin was tucked safely in bed - asleep - so I moved to the kitchen and snatched two goblets and a bottle of strawberry wine that someone had brought me from a ryoukan in Nikko. Returning to the couch where Kagome was sitting I couldn't help the endearing smile that pulled on my lips as I saw her lean forward to pick up a piece of chocolate from the bowl on the coffee table. A simple movement, a brief glance and it was enough to make me warm with content happiness. It would have been almost embarrassing how weak I was against her if I'd been able to think about anything else. As it was though, now that we were alone, my thoughts were on one thing only: the blue-eyed angel that had firmly captured my heart - despite my early stubbornness.
 
Sitting down next to her I set the two goblets on the table and she smiled at me for a moment before her eyes caught on the bottle in my hands. “Oo, may I?” she asked, holding out a delicate hand as I handed it to her. Turning it in her hands as she examined it I smiled at how unbelievably adorable she was. Running her fingers over the words she read the descriptions before she handed it back with an cheerful smile, “Sounds delicious.”
 
“Well,” I chuckled, “let's find out.” With ease I pulled out the cork and laughed as she jumped slightly at the brief explosion. Lifting a goblet I filled it halfway and handed it her before I poured mine and relaxed back into the couch.
 
Holding her glass high she smiled as I lifted mine to meet hers. “Cheers,” she said happily, voice like the sweetest music against my sensitive ears.
 
“Cheers,” I replied. And a toast to my blue-eyed angel.
 
Taking a long sip she sighed happily. “Oh boy, that's good,” she smacked her lips appreciatively as I handed her a piece of chocolate. “Thank you,” she murmured, blushing slightly before she popped into her mouth - which was where my eyes were immediately glued to as my mind started thinking about what I wanted to do with those perfect lips.
 
“So Sesshoumaru,” she said, taking another sip of her wine, apparently oblivious to my distraction, and I took a quick sip from my glass in an attempt to hide my wayward thoughts as she continued, “what are your dreams? I mean you've been around for a long time, you're part of a successful business, you have a wonderful daughter, a beautiful house and you've traveled around the world so,” she shrugged, the blush still dancing on her cheeks, “are there any dreams that you haven't reached?”
 
I laughed to hide my sudden embarrassment. If only you knew, I moaned. You're what I want… But I can't exactly tell you that yet, can I? Call me a chicken but I'd prefer the term `cautious'.
 
“Of course there are things,” I smiled, taking another sip before I picked up a piece of chocolate and brought it to her lips, hoping to distract her. “Not to say that I'm not happy or grateful with what I have, of course. But what about you Kagome? What dreams do you have?” Turn it on her, that's safe.
 
“Me?” she asked, startled as she chewed delicately on the chocolate and I found my eyes preoccupied by those lips again. Damn it all.
 
“Yes, you,” I chuckled and ruffled her hair - another distraction, more for me than for her. It's difficult to have a conversation when you're nearly scrambling to capture the other person's lips in yours. Maybe wine wasn't such a good idea, I thought worriedly as I glared at the drink in question. Yes, bad idea. Soda would've been better. Or maybe milk since we're having chocolate. Right. Milk. Next time we'll have milk and -
 
“Well,” she mumbled, breaking me out of my random tangent, “like I told you in Greece I'd love to see places all around the world but as far as other things… I'd just like a happy life… It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a life where I can be surrounded by loved ones and…” she paused, the blush staining her cheeks more darkly as she looked into her glass, gazing at the pink wine as if she could find all the answers to her questions there among the bubbles. “And, well, I guess I'd like to have a family of my own someday,” she finished so quietly, a mumble into her glass, that if I wouldn't have had such sensitive ears it would have been nearly impossible to catch. As it was I heard it clearly and nearly kicked myself as her words and her violent blush made my heart flip-flop happily against my rib cage.
 
She wasn't talking about me, you stupid, over-eager-
 
“So, congratulations are in order,” she said quickly, “now that we've celebrated I just want to say that I'm really glad that the case with your ex-wife got taken care of,” she smiled brightly and the blush began to fade.
 
“Thank you,” I smiled, frantically scrambling to gather my scattered wits. Don't ask her about the family thing, I warned the part of my brain that was still trying to jump for joy - as if she'd been insinuating that type of relationship with me - which to say the least is just ridiculous since she didn't say anything of the sort. But well, that ludicrous part of my brain took her words and ran with them in bounding hope and in my opinion was being far too optimistic about that 14-word sentence. Yes, it counted. How sad is that?
 
Not one word, I growled again in warning, We will not ask her one more word pertaining to that subject so don't even think about it.
 
“So when do you want to get married?” a strangely familiar voice asked. As the red stain bloomed on her pale cheeks I realized with horror that it had been mine - my voice. Of course, since we were the only ones in the room. Shit.
 
“E-excuse me?” she stuttered, her eyes unbelievably wide while her eyebrows flew up.
 
“I mean,” I scrambled to save what little dignity I had left after that wonderful botch job, “how old did you think you wanted to be when you settled down with someone?”
 
Damn, damn, and damn.
 
 
I was nibbling another piece of chocolate when his voice, low and smooth as velvet while it broke the comfortable silence, hit me over the head like a brick as he said, “So when do you want to get married?”
 
Several things happened at once. I dropped the chocolate onto my lap, blushed, went numb and had an explosion of butterflies take flight in my stomach as my heart stuttered and my lungs closed. The first thought going through my head was, What in the world? Did he just - Oh my go- is he proposing?
 
For some odd reason he looked as startled as I did after a moment and a matching blush adorned his cheeks as I managed to get hold of my lead tongue and ask not so calmly, “E-excuse me?” The stutter could not be helped. I mean, what did he mean by that question? Because it sure came out sounding like a proposal of sorts… Oh my God, I prayed as he rushed to speak, eyebrows high.
 
“I mean how old did you think you wanted to be when you settled down with someone?” he asked, still blushing fiercely. I let out a breath as my lungs started pumping again and chuckled nervously.
 
“Oh,” I waved a hand and tried to play it off as no big deal - which couldn't have been farther from the truth. Underneath my shock my heart had jumped eagerly at his words and that unsettled me more than anything. You idiot, I scolded the foolish emotions that had sprung to life with his words.
 
“I didn't really have an age set,” I tried to smile nonchalantly and failed. Beautiful. “It depends on who you meet and when I think, so I never really picked an age,” I elaborated as we both tried to extinguish our stubborn blushes.
 
“Of course,” he took a large gulp of his wine and I decided to follow suit - after picking up the fallen chocolate first, of course. Never waste chocolate - especially in a high-tension situation.
 
“I never really, um, had that many relationships so I-“
 
“What do you mean you never had that many relationships?” he asked, suddenly incredulous instead of embarrassed. “Surely you've had men hounding after you for years.”
 
I laughed, my embarrassment dying away with his surprise and the strange image his choice of words inspired, “Hardly.” The picture that flashed before my mind's eyes of men running about on all fours, drool dripping off their chins, and howling dumbly nearly had me, despite myself, burst out in a fit of violent laughter.
 
“I find that hard to believe. What exactly do you consider `not that many'?” he asked, eyebrows drawing down into a quizzical expression that I found adorable.
 
Good gad I love talking to him… And watching his expressions… And kissing him, I thought dreamily as I lost myself in his gold eyes for a moment before I snapped out my daze and caught him frowning curiously at my pause.
 
“Oh well, um,” I struggled to remember what he'd asked me. “Two,” I finally answered emphatically.
 
“Two?” one eyebrow rose in confusion.
 
“Yes,” I nodded, blushing slightly as I realized how weird that must sound to a man that had probably been on dates with countless women in the past - I mean you have to remember the guy's been around for who knows how many centuries, what can you expect? “Two dates.”
 
His jaw dropped and I grumbled, sticking a piece of chocolate in his mouth as I sent him a petulant look, “I know, I know, pitiful.”
 
He suddenly chuckled and set down his glass, now almost empty, “Have all the men in your life been blind and lacking in certain qualities or is there something you haven't told me? Like that you murdered someone in your early years?”
 
“Very funny,” I stuck my tongue out at him and he plucked the goblet from my fingers.
 
“I find it very funny,” he murmured, setting the glass down on the table gently before he turned those demonstrative, honey eyes on me once more, “that someone like you managed to evade men so well. I wouldn't have thought it possible.”
 
“It's not like I tried,” I grumbled and he cupped a cheek in one of his strong, warm hands.
 
“Oh, believe me Kagome, I'm not complaining,” he purred and I felt myself flush warmly as our eyes caught and I started to drown in the swirling gold - not unlike a fly caught in the honey jar. “You've surely been kissed more than twice though, correct? Other than me,” he amended, moving closer until our noses were touching and he was smiling that gentle, warm smile that I realized was reserved just for me.
 
I blushed, both from my realization and his question, “Actually…”
 
A warm laugh reverberated out of his chest and his smile broadened into a wolfish grin that had me shivering heatedly, “Oh dear, they were even more inept than I thought possible.” His arms wrapped around my waist as his voice grew husky, warm as black pavement at noon in July, “I couldn't be more glad.” And with those words he pulled me into a smoldering kiss that left me unable to tell up from down, left from right and had me soaring in blissful abandon.
 
 
I looked up from my table in the café as someone called my name and discovered the odd sight of Kikyo weaving her way through the tables as she headed my way. Again. Boy, what is with her? She's starting to act strange. Monday madness mayhap?
 
“Ms. Sagai, are you feeling alright?” I asked sweetly innocent as she reached my table.
 
“May I sit?” she motioned jerkily at the chair, face solemn as always.
 
“Be my guest but I have to wonder why you aren't wearing a mask,” I smiled as she sat in the chair across from me, a coffee in her hand. Black, I noted with some amusement, of course. Serious people like Kikyo wouldn't let themselves have a little fun with some sugar and cream.
 
“A mask?” she asked, befuddlement flashing in her eyes for a moment before it disappeared. “What in the world are you talking about?”
 
“Well,” I shrugged, picking up my sandwich and taking a small bite, chewing and swallowing it quickly, “you're here talking to me again so I have to assume that you must have a fever to be doing so. And if you have a fever I would expect a responsible person like yourself to wear a mask to keep from giving everyone else your grodies.”
 
She stared at me and I mentally smirked as her lips fell into a limp frown and I entertained the suspicion that she'd had to resist the urge to let her jaw drop in shock. Finally she responded in a flat tone, “I do not have a fever Inuyasha. Obviously.”
 
“Well, could've fooled me,” I grinned idiotically before I took another bite and chewed more slowly, meeting her stare with an unintelligent one. “So then, why are you here? I know that you don't enjoy my company.”
 
“You are correct,” she grumbled, eyes flashing with annoyance for a moment before she stuck her nose up in the air ever so slightly, “but I wanted to thank you for your help in Rin's case.”
 
“Oh,” I mouthed in fake shock, “but we'd already talked about that I thought. Is that really it or in truth is there something else you wanted to ask me?”
 
Suddenly her eyebrows drew down in a scowl as her lips twisted into an unhappy frown, a violent change from her earlier emotionless mask. “Actually there is something,” she growled and I basked in the wonderful scent of her angry frustration. Wow, it's getting easier and easier to get a rise out of her, I thought happily as I schooled my face into an expression of helpful innocence.
 
“Ah, what's that?” I asked, the image of cooperation. If only she knew, I snickered happily as her scowl darkened several shades.
 
“When you left last time,” she glowered, “you said something. You said, `Maybe you don't me as well as you think you do.'”
 
“Yes, I did now that you mention it,” I shrugged nonchalantly. “What about it?”
 
“Well what did you mean by it?” she hissed, hand clenching on the coffee making it slosh dangerously. Before I knew what I was doing I'd reached out and covered her hand with mine in an attempt to steady it before she hurt herself.
 
I froze in shock at the contact and we both stiffened, simultaneously locking eyes as neither of us moved a muscle for several long moments. It was like time froze and everything along with it was unable to march forward without the rhythm of the clock to give it direction. Like ice statues we sat there, dark brown eyes staring at my gold ones until someone nearby called out loudly to a friend, and in the blink of an eye the spell on time shattered and we both pulled away from the cup and each other's hands as if we'd been burned.
 
I for one felt like I really had been and barely resisted the urge to check my hand for scorch marks. Standing quickly I pretended to look at my watch and said, “Perhaps we can continue this conversation another time Kikyo, but I have to be going. I promised my niece I'd go watch movies with her this afternoon.” Without daring a glance in her direction I left as quickly as I could without visible scrambling like I actually wanted to.
 
Holy shit, what the hell was that?
 
 
“You forgot your sandwi-“ I started numbly but he was already gone. I stared dumbly at the half eaten sandwich on the table and tried to figure out what exactly had just happened. One minute I'd been trying to work around the conversation to subtly ask him about his offhand comment from last time - that had been driving me up the wall - and the next I was squeezing my cup of coffee and then his hand had been around mine. And time stopped.
 
“What the hell,” I mumbled, glaring darkly at the coffee cup. Once again Inuyasha had left me thoroughly off-kilter, but this time took the cake. Despite myself I couldn't seem to get the way his hand had felt on mine out of my head, how strong it was, how warm and comforti- “Shite,” I hissed as I realized my mind was turning traitorous yet again - in the span of a few short moments it had betrayed me so many times that I'd already started to lose track.
 
“Damn you Inuyasha,” I grumbled unhappily as my stomach growled hungrily. Huffing I reached across the table and snatched the sandwich - a katsu and egg one - and took a large bite out of it as I continued to glare at the coffee in my frustrated confusion.
 
“He touches me again and I'll teach him a lesson he won't forget.”
 
 
“Uncle Inuyasha,” I smiled happily as I opened the door, Mai jumping giddily next to my leg, pink tongue lolling merrily. “What's up?”
 
“Just thought I'd come by and see my favorite niece,” he flashed a charming smile and I laughed.
 
“Well I'd better be your favorite since I'm the only one you've got,” I turned back into the house as he took off his polished black business shoes.
 
Catching up to me he leaned down to tickle the back of my ribs as he retorted, “Who says you're the only one?”
 
“Uncle Inuyasha,” I groaned, rolling my eyes as he swept me up and held me bridal style, carrying me to the plush couch where he dropped me unceremoniously. I bounced, giggling happy before I caught a distracted look cross his face. “What is it?”
 
“Huh?” his eyes focused on me again and I grinned evilly. “Oh nothing,” he said and the scent of the lie hung between us.
 
“Sure,” I drawled. “Fess up.”
 
“I'd rather not,” he grumbled and I didn't miss the blush that stained his cheeks.
 
“Ooo, it's about a girl isn't it,” I waggled my eyebrows suggestively at him.
 
“If you could call the ice statue a girl,” he muttered and at the start in his expression I realized he hadn't meant to say that out loud.
 
“The `ice statue'?” I chortled. “Ok, so who is the Ice Statue then?”
 
“So Rin, how was school today?” he asked quickly, the blush slowly fading as he tried not so subtly to change the subject.
 
Suddenly it clicked. His words and something Grandpa had said to me two weeks ago came together and I hazarded an educated guess. “Kikyo,” I said and his twitch along with the scent of surprise that hit my nose was enough proof to tell me that I'd been right. He would call her the `ice statue' I laughed. She's so closed and emotional it makes sense and Grandpa said something about him teasing her a lot. He even said that he thought it was the beginnings of flirting. Interesting, I thought mischievously as I watched my Uncle squirm.
 
“Did you two flirt again today?” I asked, one brow raised inquisitively in an imitation of my father. What can I say - I've learned from the best.
 
“I would never,” he spluttered, radiating indignation and embarrassment, “flirt with that - that emotionless shell of a woman!” he finished, eyebrows pulled down into an emphatic scowl.
 
“Sure, sure,” I laughed, “You don't have to try and bluff around me Uncle. I already know.”
 
“If you think that's what you know than you don't know anything,” he glowered. “Did Grandpa feed you some of his romantic, matchmaking garbage again?”
 
“From your reaction I wouldn't call it garbage,” I smirked and his glare grew thunderous.
 
“Well let me tell you something right now Rin: Kikyo Sagai is the last person I would ever flirt with. Ever. We clear?” he asked, face stern but I just smiled, completely immune to his intimidation tactics.
 
“As Caribbean water,” I winked and he continued to bluster indignantly before I decided to give him a break and asked, “You want to hear something hilarious?”
 
He stopped short, eyes suddenly attentive and bright with curiosity. “Of course,” he grinned wolfishly, “I'm always up for something funny.”
 
“I'm glad you came by before Dad got home since it's just Jaken here and he's asleep in the office,” I smiled in a conniving manner. “If Dad was home I couldn't tell you.”
 
“Oh good stuff,” he laughed, pulling himself over the back of the couch and settling into the fluffy cushions, eyes eager. “Do tell, do tell.”
 
“On Saturday Kagome came over and had dinner with us right?” I started and he nodded, “Well, after they thought I was asleep they sat down with a bottle of wine and started talking.”
 
“Your Dad didn't notice that you were awake?”
 
I pulled a face, “I got really good at keeping my breathing at the level that indicates sleep a few years ago when he and Mom would fight at night. If I woke up they'd just get more upset because Dad didn't want to bother me and Mom couldn't care less.” I shrugged nonchalantly. “Eventually I got good enough that they never noticed when I woke up if I didn't want them to and it's proved to be a…useful trick.”
 
“You my dear,” he stared at me with mock horror, “are devilish.”
“Why thank you,” I bowed as well as I could manage from my sitting position on the couch.
“My little protégé,” he grinned, tweaking my cheek playfully. “So what did you manage to hear all the way from your bedroom?”
 
“Quite a lot,” I laughed, “Although it was terribly faint what with the walls and the distance and all. That and they weren't talking loudly but I still managed.”
 
He grinned broadly and I continued gleefully, “Dad made a blooper of a lifetime but I personally wonder if he didn't really want to say it - somewhere deep down.”
 
“Spit it out already,” he laughed, eyes sparkling impishly. He was as bad as I was when it came to pulling mischief. Or maybe it would be more correct to say that I was as bad as him.
 
“They were talking about their dreams and Kagome muttered something so quietly that I had to reprocess it before I figured it out. She said that she'd like to have a family of her own someday but then she changed the subject really fast so I'm betting she was embarrassed. Dad responded but then he brought the conversation back to her previous comment.”
 
“Ok,” he said slowly, “So?”
 
“So when do you want to get married?” I mimicked in a good imitation of my Dad's voice at the time.
 
“No way,” Inuyasha crowed delightedly. “You have got to be kidding me!”
 
“No,” I laughed loudly, “I'm not. It was priceless! I could smell their mutual surprise all the way in my bedroom! You have no idea how hard it was not to lose it and drop the act of sleep. I wanted to laugh so badly.”
 
“Oh my go-“ he choked, wiping tears of mirth from his eyes, “That, my dear girl, is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Talk about a Freudian slip. Ha!”
 
I blinked and he explained, “In other words I agree with you. I think your father was saying something that he actually wanted to say, from somewhere deep in his subconscious.”
 
Giggling I nodded as he continued his laughing, cradling his shaking ribs, “He tried to hide the mistake by saying, `I mean how old did you think you wanted to be when you settled down with someone?' Talk about saving it by a thread,” I cackled happily.
 
Uncle Inuyasha collapsed sideways on the couch, his breathing strained as he shook from his hysterics. Looking at him I found my own laughter growing by leaps and bounds and after a moment we were both wheezing and choking on the couch, tears streaming down our faces.
 
 
“So,” I started slowly, scanning the pages of what seemed like the hundredth catalogue, “it's going to be a winter wedding…”
 
“Oh so have you guys figured out a date then?” Kagome chirped happily from where she sat on the couch beside me pouring over another catalogue.
 
“Yeah, we're tentatively thinking about December 16th. It's a Sunday so we thought more people might be able to make it,” I smiled, peering at yet another white dress.
 
“Sounds smart,” she smiled, lifting her magazine up and pointing to a sleek, white dress with tasteful embroidery. “How about this one? You'd look gorgeous.”
 
I quirked an eyebrow at it appraisingly and nodded, “Yeah, we should put a tab on that page so we can compare it later with the other ones that have made it into the running.”
 
“Roger,” she chuckled, slapping a slim, pink sticky note at the top of the page. “Have you guys gotten a place booked yet?”
 
“We've narrowed it down,” I giggled, “Miroku's supposed to go over to the last place tonight and check it out for me.”
 
“Good man,” she declared, merrily flipping through the pages with alacrity.
 
“So, Sesshoumaru's trying to find out your birthday, huh?” I asked, slowly turning to the next page and critically examining the accessories it featured while I waited for her reaction.
 
“How did you,” she started, eyes surprised as they snapped up to stare at me. “He didn't.”
 
“He did,” I grinned impishly. “Called me today at work actually.”
 
“Oo,” she grumbled and tried to look upset but failed so badly that I couldn't help but laugh at her. “I'm serious, he is not going to find out about my birthday! The man's already done too much. He bought me a puppy for a `thank you' present Sango,” she whined as my laughter only grew louder, “this is serious!”
 
She turned a sharp glare on me and asked in a dark voice, “You didn't tell him did you? If you did I swear I'll-“
 
Wheezing I waved my hand in a placating way, “Hold up Missy, no worries. I didn't tell him. I remembered you telling me after he got you Ran that if he asked me about it not to tell him so you can relax.”
 
“Oh good,” she gushed and turned back to the magazine, ruffled feathers smoothed.
 
“Yup,” I smirked wickedly as she lost herself in the pages, completely missing the mischief that I couldn't hide, “you are perfectly safe.”
 
Or I'll at least let you think that, I cackled giddily. I didn't tell him. Directly that is. Ahaha.
Is it my fault that after I hung up from my refusal to tell him that a note found its way to my secretary's desk? Or is it my fault that she followed the instructions at the top of the innocent piece of paper and relayed the information written on it to Sesshoumaru's secretary before asking that the information be given to him immediately? No, not my fault at all. I don't know who wrote that note - it certainly wasn't me.
 
≈Ω≈
† End Chapter †
≈§≈
 
*~hiding behind futon, once again squeezing poor Sirotan in a deadly choke hold, as I peek out nervously over the top, scanning the crowd with grey eyes and then suddenly throw myself to my knees~*
 
m( - - )m m( - - )m m( - - )m m( - - )m m( - - )m m( - - )m m( - - )m m( - - )m
 
(This is me, bowing repeatedly in intervals of apology and appreciation. We're talking about some serious, heavy-duty A&A here folks)
 
 
Oh boy. First of all I would like to apologize profusely for the delay! m( - - )m I have more time now technically but well, I am studying abroad and it would be a hideous waste of money and opportunity to sit inside all the time and so I've finally started traveling around Tokyo more. I'm the only one of the exchange students that hasn't already been to all the famous parts in Tokyo - how sad is that? Haha, I'm a walk and a train ride away and so I've felt recently that I should get my butt in gear. But I am very sorry that it has interfered and helped lead to the delay. Also I felt like I needed a creative break to get my muse happy again - it was feeling particularly pooped after chapter 9 and so I leaned back and read a few good books. In my opinion writers should read as much as they write - it gives them a break and a chance to get those creative juices flowing again. I felt selfish doing it because I knew that you were all waiting - I'm so sorry! - but I really needed to read a book - it's been sooooo long. (I read all of the Mediator series by Meg Cabot and holy crap it made me sooooo happy! I totally recommend it! If any of you have ever read it let me know what you think (^_^)v) And now I feel better! Yay! I tried to write a good length chapter to make up for it too (37 pages - a new record), so hopefully you all won't feel too peeved with me (O-O) although I wouldn't blame you. (*-*)It all sounds like such a lame excuse but I really am very sorry, so please forgive me the long delay.
 
 
SECOND! Thanks so much for the reviews - once again you were all really sweet and I'm so glad that you seem to be liking the story still - that's wonderful! ( `-` )v And thank you for taking the time to review - chapter 9 on ff.net got a really good response so I'm a bit nervous about putting up chapter 10 - it's a bit daunting after getting so many reviews for one chapter for the first time but well, it's done and hopefully it's ok (*-*) We'll see huh? Anyway, thanks sooooo much for the reviews - I really do appreciate it and believe it or not (despite my terrible delay) your reviews really do help encourage me to write - if it hadn't been for your reviews it would have taken me even longer to get my butt in gear and write - it would be very easy to procrastinate in Japan.
 
Now to address everyone individually that reviewed here for chapter 9 - first a big thank you to everyone and a big `sorry' for updating soooo late AND Happy Valentine's Day~!!!! (^_^)v
 
Kiami - so sorry dear - nothing bad was happening though - thanks for wondering about me ( `-` ) I was just living the life of an exchange student for once, lol, and taking the time to put some spunk back in my thoughts - I'm sorry it took so long to get chapter 10 up though - thanks so much for your thoughts though - sorry if I worried you a bit. ( -_-`) didn't mean to ( `-` )v
 
 
Bloodlily - oh sweet! ( `-` ) I can respond to your review there from now on - yay! And I'm honored that you wanted to put me on favorites - that's so sweet! \( *-* )/ Sorry it took so long to update but I hope that you like chapter 10 ( `-` )x (fingers crossed) once again, it was wonderful to hear from you so thanks for your time, until next time!
 
 
Thefates - I'm sooo glad that you like it - I know that the plot isn't particularly complex or anything but I just wanted to write a soft story really ( `-` ) so I'm glad that it's not boring, thank goodness! I'm really sorry it took me so long to update - hopefully chapter 10 will be enjoyable and will also give you a chance to relax - I know how important that is, haha. Thanks so much for your time! ( `-` )v
 
silverdove - no worries dear, haha, I definitely understand being in a state of time shortage ( `-` ) thanks for taking the time though to let me know what you thought though - it's especially appreciated since you are so busy (^_~)v I'm glad that you liked it! Hopefully chapter 10 will be your liking as well ( `-` )x(fingers crossed)
 
 
adea neri - I'm so glad that you like the story - hope it didn't seem to long - it's getting very long I know so hope that doesn't bother you. The people on ff.net seem to really like it being long so I do try to cater to readers in some way - at least to the majority and that seems to be the majority vote ( `-` ) Yes, I don't have Kikyo and Inuyasha bashing - although I really don't like her (sorry to anybody who does) but I figure this AU so I can make her a more pleasant person. Hah. (^_~)v Thanks so much for the support - hope you enjoy chapter 10 (O_O)x (fingers crossed)
 
 
 
Once again to all of you - signed and anonymous alike - a huge, thundering “Thank you~!!!” and I hope that this chapter is ok. Sorry if I have a bunch of typos and such - I'm posting this late at night because I've already dilly-dallied for far too long so my apologies (*-*) Also, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this chapter - I don't know how I can compete with chapter 9 at the moment but, well, I tried haha. So please, I would be grateful and would love to hear what you all think or hear any questions, comments, parts or things that you like, etc, etc if you feel like it. I love long reviews too so feel free to let `er rip ( `-` ) I was great hearing from you guys last chapter so thank you so much! It'll be an honor to hear from you all again! Much love, Happy Valentine's Day, and take care until next time~!
 
Yours truly,
Alyce
 
 
Author's notes:
 
Maguro: Japanese for TUNA (yum~!) - the best fish for sashimi if you ask me (*drools*) I love sashimi (raw fish) (sushi can be raw fish or sometimes it has no raw fish - sushi is actually more talking about the vinegared rice so if you want to specifically mean `raw fish' its good to use sashimi)
 
Moussaka: like lasagna with fried eggplant slices instead of pasta
 
Ryoukan: Japanese style inn - go Honne Bankyuu Ryoukan~! Yay!
 
Katsu: a thin slice of pork done up in a fried breading - delish!