InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Cave ❯ A Day to Play ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I own nothing connected to Inuyasha, and make no profit from it.


A Day to Play





You would think a half demon would be hard to spook, wouldn’t you? How much unadulterated horror would it take to make an unearthly being cower in terror? What could dwell in any of the levels of hell to rival the iniquity of the darkness that had surrounded them?


When they had decided to check out the cave, they’d had no idea what they were getting themselves into. It had looked innocent enough at first. It had typical rocky walls and cozy looking moss growing around the opening. In other words, it was what they expected a cave to be. When they had ventured into the yawning maw, no one had felt the slightest tingle that might signify the unspeakable terrorism they would soon be subjected to.


A lazy afternoon spent exploring a harmless cave had sounded like it would be fun. They had all thought it would be an adventure. The girls had even decided to make a game of it. They’d split into three teams, Inuyasha and Kagome in the first, Sango and Miroku together for the second, and Shippou and Kirara making up the final team. The object of the competition was to see which team could find the best ‘treasure’ in the complex of tunnels and offshoots.


Shippou and Kirara had taken off at a run, and were back before the others had made it out of the opening cavern. The little kitsune was waving his hands above his head wildly, telling all who would hear, “We found it! The most wonderful treasure this old cave has! No one’s gonna beat us!” In his small hands, he proudly displayed an old snake skin. The small snake that had cast it off must have made it’s home in the cave at one time.


Kagome shivered as she looked at it. She only hoped that the snake it belonged to was not hiding somewhere else in the cave. Even with her fearless hanyou by her side, she would hate to run into it in a dark tunnel.

With a sparkly, fake smile on her face, she’d told the small demon, “How nice, Shippou. That certainly will be hard to top, but we’re going to try.”


Deciding that a bit of privacy might help in his quest of finding a few moments of intimacy with the woman of his dreams, Miroku took the hand of the demon slayer. “I think the lovely Sango and I will take the tunnel on the right. You two might find something interesting off to the left.” Miroku grinned a sly grin as he pulled Sango along his chosen path.


“I don’t know why the baka chose that tunnel,” Inuyasha said, as he scratched the back of his neck. “It’s so dark in there, they’ll never be able to find anything except each other.”


“I know,” Kagome replied with a moony look in her eyes. “Isn’t it the most romantic thing you ever heard?”


Swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat, and trying his best to hide the flush that was threatening to take over his cheeks, Inuyasha grabbed Kagome’s hand and pulled her into the tunnel on the left. “Come on. No matter how they spend their time, we’re gonna win this contest.” The images of what might happen when they were safely alone in their own section of the system of caverns flashed rapidly through his mind, but he couldn’t turn away from the challenge of the competition, either.


Kagome smiled as scenes of what she wanted to do to the obtuse man at her side flew through her own mind. “There’s usually more that one way to win, Inuyasha,” she purred.


“Keh! I think you were out in the hot sun too long. Your brain might have been cooked. Either you win, or you loose. I don’t like to loose, so we’re gonna win.” There was no way in all the hells that he would let the little brat beat him at this game.

The couple started walking along their chosen path. Kagome couldn’t help but think of the snake that had discarded it’s skin for Shippou to find. She worried that going so far into the tunnel would put them further from any source of light. She guessed that if Inuyasha shared her thoughts, they would cause no worry for the half demon.


Pulling the miko of his dreams further down the tunnel, Inuyasha was amazed to find a soft glow shining along the walls that sheltered the two of them. There was not enough light to illuminate the tunnel, but there was enough to help Kagome feel comfortable traveling this far into the cave.


The two kept an easy conversation going while they walked. Nothing too serious was discussed, but the light, flirtatious nature of their conversation kept both of them unaware of the passing of time. It wasn’t until the growling of the hanyou’s stomach interrupted their conversation that either noticed how much time must have elapsed since they began their adventure. With no sun to keep them informed as to the time of day, they could only guess that they had been walking for well over an hour.


“Maybe we should head back,” Kagome ventured. “The others must be waiting for us.”


“No way am I going back without something to win this silly game. You and Sango decided on the rules, so you can’t back out now. Besides, there’s something sparkling in that rock just ahead of us, see?” Inuyasha had spied the faint twinkle with the aid of his enhanced eyesight.


“I don’t know, Inuyasha. I can’t see anything, and I’m starting to get a bad feeling about being so deep in this cave. What would we do if there was a cave in or something?”


“Don’t be so silly, wench,” Inuyasha said, as he pulled the girl to his chest. “I could take care of any rocks that tried to keep us in here. They usually don’t put up too much of a fight, ya know?” The sly smile that crept onto his lips proved to be too enticing for the miko to pass up. Kagome rose to her tip toes, and placed a sweet kiss on the corner of his mouth.


The surprise of the movement caught him off guard, but not far enough off to keep him from responding. There had been far too few opportunities for privacy lately. He looked into Kagome’s eyes, and almost growled out the words, “You shouldn’t start what you ain’t plannin’ on finishin’.”


Inuyasha pulled the petite girl tighter into the embrace, and kissed her with all the feelings that had been denied due to the lack of privacy. The intensity of the kiss was enough to make his heart beat faster than it ever had in any battle he’d ever been in. All thoughts of games, competitions or treasures left his mind only to be replaced with the warmth of the connection the two young lovers shared. His hands ran up and down Kagome’s sides, as his tongue found its way into her sweet mouth.


The kiss seemed to go on and on. Neither wanted to break the contact, even to draw a much needed breath. Kagome was captivated by the romance of the situation. The glowing walls seemed to surround them with a million twinkling stars. The man she loved so much was holding her in his strong arms. The kiss they were sharing was enough to turn her brain to sentimental pulp. It was the magical kiss that every schoolgirl longed for. ‘See, Inuyasha. I found my treasure. I win,’ she thought to herself.


So lost in the kiss were they that neither noticed the pulse of energy that emanated from the object that Inuyasha had spied earlier. Both did feel the change in the air surrounding them, though. The sudden drop in temperature, combined with the breeze that started blowing was enough to wrest their attention away from each other.


“I really think we should get out of here,” Kagome said, still holding onto Inuyasha. “This is really starting to freak me out.”

“Just let me get whatever that is in the rock. We’re still gonna win this dumb game.”


“I don’t know if that would be such a good idea, Inuyasha. I don’t want to go another foot into this tunnel.”


“Suit yourself. I’ll go get it, and be right back. It can’t be more than fifty paces further. You’ll be able to see me the whole time.”


“Just hurry, okay? I want to get out of here now.”


Inuyasha jogged to the spot he thought the object should be. It was strange that the twinkling that had grabbed his attention before could no longer be seen. He focused his sight on the rock wall before him, and could just make out the shape of something that didn’t belong there. Looking back to where Kagome stood, he said, “You’re not gonna believe this. I think it’s a sword that’s buried in the wall. It looks like the hilt is sticking out. I’m gonna see if I can pull it out, so we can take it back.”


“Just be careful, okay? This place is really starting to give me the creeps.” Kagome tried to ward off the chills that were invading her body by rubbing her arms, but it did little to alleviate the coldness that seemed to want to permeate her very soul.


Just as she thought back on a long forgotten school lesson about the left side having been equated with the sinister side of nature, and superimposing the memory of she and Inuyasha choosing to take the tunnel on the left, she heard the hanyou say, “I think it’s coming loose.”


Before she could give voice to the unexplained panic rising within her, she heard the sliding of metal against stone, while the softly glowing walls went dark in the same instant. From further down the passage she heard her friend’s voice break out with “What the fuck..?” before it was buried within the sound of falling rocks.

8-8-8-8



Sango nervously paced in front of the cave’s entrance as Shippou and Kirara played in the field outside. Miroku leaned against the rocky walls and fingered the smooth sides of the unusual stone that was the pair’s token offering to the ‘treasure’ collection, and reminded the slayer that patience was a virtue. “We enjoyed our time alone, didn’t we? Inuyasha and Kagome are undoubtedly doing the same. You know that neither of them care to show their feelings in front of others. The time together away from everyone else, will do them both good.”


“I suppose you are right, as usual, Hoshi. I just wish that they would hurry. Suddenly, I don’t care to stay here any longer. I would like to be far away by nightfall.”


"Perhaps we can convince Shippou and Kirara to find fresh water to refill our bottles. Then we could enjoy some more private moments, also.”


The sudden gust of wind and dust that came from the tunnel that the two missing friends had taken grabbed the attention of the slayer and the monk. “That may be a sign that it’s time to be alarmed, Sango. Perhaps we should see if our assistance is needed.”


Sango grabbed her hiraikotsu as Miroku picked up his shakujou. Together they made their way into the opening of the left tunnel. Kirara sensed the anxiety of her mistress, and picked up the kit so that they could follow.


8-8-8-8


Kagome had just enough time to raise her arm to shield her eyes from the cloud of dust that made it’s way past her. When she sensed that it was again safe to open her eyes, she found that it did no good. Without the glow that had previously emanated from the walls, she was effectively blind even with her eyes wide open. She could feel the panic within her building as she screamed the name of the man who had been so recently by her side. “Inuyasha, where are you? I can’t see anything. Are you alright? What was that noise? Did the wall fall in?”


She knew that the rapid fire nature of her questions gave the hanyou little opportunity to answer, but her heart sank when the only returning sound was a low moan of pain filled anguish. Making her way toward where she thought Inuyasha had been standing, Kagome kept her hands out in front of her to help locate any obstacles in her path. For some reason, she felt an aversion to touching the walls. Whatever had been causing the glow that had seemed so romantically soothing only moments before, frightened her now that they were dark.


She almost failed to hear the whispered words that were meant for her ears. “Kagome, don’t come any farther. The floor of the tunnel caved in. You’ll fall in, too, if you don’t stop where you are.”


The words themselves didn’t worry her as much as the quality of the voice that issued them. The strain of breathing was evident in the inflection of the words, as was an incredible amount of pain. “Inuyasha, where are you? How badly are you hurt?”


“It’s not much more than a scratch,” the hanyou gasped, “but I don’t think I’ll be climbing out of here anytime soon. Do you think you can find the others? Maybe they can help haul my ass out of this hole.”


“Are you sure you’ll be alright on your own? Maybe it would be better if I found a way to come down there, by you.”


“No! Whatever you do, don’t come near here unless Sango and Miroku are with you! The sooner you find them, the sooner I can get out of this pit, so don’t just stand around like a worthless human girl. Find your way out, so I can get out.”


He knew he would make her angry at him, but that would be the best way to insure that she didn’t come any closer to the edge of hole he was in. There was no way he wanted her anywhere in this tunnel because he was pretty damn sure that he was not alone. Whatever was down here with him was unlike anything he’d ever come into contact with, before.




8-8-8-8


A/N: My darling little muse wanted a scary Halloween story. Having long ago found that I can’t refuse Isiaha anything, I decided to try. I don’t know how scary this will be, but I’ll do my best.

If everything goes according to plan, I should be able to post one chapter every Friday in October, finishing on Halloween. The story is pretty well done, it just needs a little final editing.

Thanks to the wonderful kojika00 for finding all the errors in this, and helping with the formatting issue. It was her turn to use the red pen. If you haven’t read her story “The Hunt For The Sword of Legend” you really should.