InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Darkangel ❯ The Great Eight Charter ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN: Someone asked me in the previous chapter whether time in the desert flowed differently. My answer's no. Time flows the same everywhere. I guess you can say that Kagome grew and matured in her time with the darkangel; it's just she didn't realize it. When she was in the desert, she had time to worry about herself and not about the wraiths, the gargoyles, and the darkangel. During her stay in the desert, she became more aware of what was happening to her body and mind because she was given the chance to. As for more for the maturity level, Kagome started to learn more with the desert folk. She learned about their perspectives of life and how they lived. I guess as she learned more, her mind matured more.










"You must come back with me."
"Isn't it written that by the hoof of the starhorse the vampyre shall fall?"
"Come back with me."








The Darkangel
By: Renko-chan
Chapter 10
* * *

Kagome held onto the lyon's mane as they bounded across the dunes. The lyon ran in bounds so long and smooth that there were no jolts at all when he touched the ground and sprang again. But as they ran, Kagome couldn't help but noticed strange symbols or patterns that flickered every once in a while on the lyon's legs and paws. They flew around on the lyon's skin and would disappear, only to reappear again moments later. Kagome also noticed the same strange symbols circling around the lyon's neck, beneath his mane. But she decided to say nothing until they'd stopped to rest.

They ran for hours over the dunes until they finally rested. It was more for Kagome's sake since the lyon needed no rest.

As Kagome settled down, she pulled out a loaf of bread and began to eat, occasionally casting glances at the lyon; half-wanting to see those same strange marks again.

The lyon noticed her staring and finally asked, "What is it, child?"

Kagome shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "Um, it's just that I...was wondering..."

"Yes?" said the lyon, urging her to go on.

"Well," Kagome started out slowly, "while we were running, I noticed there were strange little symbols or marks flying around on your fur..."

"Ah," the lyon's deep voice was comforting and gentle. "Those were Charter marks, Kagome."

"Charter...?"

The lyon looked at Kagome, obviously surprised. "Do you not know what the Charter is, child?"

"Um...no."

The Pendarlon laughed a deep hearty laugh. "Where have you been all this time, child? The Charter is, well, you can say magic I suppose. It's what underpins everything that exists here. Almost anything is joined and contained by it. The Charter flows everywhere, but of course, there're some places it is distant of blocked. Some are more attuned with the Charter, by birth or baptism, or both. They are called Charter Mages."

Kagome scooted closer to the lyon, interested in what he called, the Charter. "So how do you use it?"

The Pendarlon thought a moment before answering. "Well, to use the power of the Charter, a Charter Mage has to visualize reaching into the continuous flow of the Charter and if successful, they can then mentally select and grasp the individual Charter marks they need. A single Charter mark may perform some uncommon action, or several may be woven together to create a particular spell. The marks can then be spoken, drawn in the air, traced on the ground or used in other ways. Some Charter marks quickly fade back into the general flow of the Charter, and their effects cease. Others may persist for a long time, sometimes even last for centuries. "But not everyone can use the Charter. Only those who have the baptismal Charter mark on their foreheads can work with the Charter."

Kagome picked at her loaf of bread. "So the Charter was what created life. They were from the very Beginning?"

"No, child. The Eight Ancients created life in the Beginning." the lyon frowned at Kagome. "Were you not educated about the Charter?"

Kagome shook her head. "I was a slave. I was never educated in these parts."

The Pendarlon shook his great head in disappointment. "Well, that's quite a shame." But then he smiled reassuringly as Kagome's face fell. "But I never get tired of telling this story. Well, in the Beginning, there was only Free Magic. Now Free Magic uses different powers. It's not contained and described by the Charter. Anyways, the Ancients then came and saw all the Death and the Free Magic that only wandered this dead world. The greatest of the Ancients, the Eight, then created the Charter from the Free Magic, to support the life that they'd create and keep the undead and remaining Free Magic at bay. After that, the Eight were started to be called, the Great Charters and they became the First Council of the Great Charter. After Death, some acknowledged spirits who were Charter Mages, would be called to the Council of the Great Charter and turned into Guardians - the highest rank a spirit can be. Guardians are granted immense and potent powers of the Charter to protect the charges granted to them, and after a certain amount of charges, the Guardians would join the Council if qualified. If not, they merely retire and enjoy all of eternity in the Upper Heavens where all spirits dwell.

"Of course, there is still Free Magic. When the Charter was created, there was still Free Magic that was left over. Free Magic sorcerers and Free Magic creatures are inherently enemies of the Charter and those who use Charter Magic. All necromancers, sorcerers who raise and control the Dead by using special necromancer bells, are Free Magic sorcerers; except for Abhorsens, who use bells to defeat the Dead and compel them to return into Death. The Abhorsens and Guardians are the only Charter Mages who can use Free Magic, though they must resist the lure of its more straightforward, angry power. To fall to Free Magic's lure, a Charter Mage becomes corrupted."

"So what does that make you?" asked Kagome.

"I am a Charter being. I was created by the Great Charter. The Charter marks you saw on me are what kept me from tiring easily and increase my speed."

"...Are the icari Free Magic creatures?" asked Kagome hesitantly.

"Yes," said the lyon with a grave nod.

"So the icarus I'm with is..."

"No," the lyon said firmly. "Your vampyre is only half of what he should be. Only after he gives fourteen souls for the lorelai to drink will he become a true Free Magic creature."

That explained the coldness she felt around him. The burning coldness. Kagome slept after the lyon had explained about the Charter. But just as what it seemed as quickly, the lyon prodded her awake and they were off across the dunes once more.

[AN: With the whole new introduction thing with the Charter and the Free Magic, I'm kinda scare that not all you guys understood it. So for all those people who still don't know what the hell the Charter or Free Magic is, this is for you. The Charter is good magic and it more complicated than Free Magic. Free Magic is bad magic and it used by chanting spells. It's kinda the Dark side of the Force in Star Wars. If you fall to its luring power, you'll become corrupted. Whether you can become uncorrupted or not, I'm not sure yet. Read my Author's Note at the end of this chapter; there's more.]

They past the bones of great animals long dead. They ran past living animals - little lithe antelope, and great, shaggy humped camels. Several times, she spotted a pair of four - legged creatures watching her and the lyon intently from far away.

They looked like long - legged, huge - eated dogs with hairy tails. What was disturbed Kagome more was the faint sickening smell that she felt radiate from them. When she mentioned them to the Pendarlon, asking what they were, he merely glanced at them. He rumbled low and darkly then quickened his pace. The spotted dog - creatures loped away and disappeared.

They ran for hours on end; the lyon never tired. It was until the sun was near its zenith and fall into an eclipse when the lyon began to slow. His breathing was as quiet and steady as ever as he ran more leisurely. It then Kagome knew that the Avarclon was near. Then the last of the sun slid into an eclipse.

She saw him across the dunes. He was dark silver, fiercesome, and free, with a keen horn on his forehead and two great wings on his shoulders. He galloped over to them letting go a wild whinny that pealed like a bugle blast. The lyon came smoothly to a stop and roared in answer.

The moon hung high in the sky; the hiding sun made a bright halo around it. Avarclon and Pendarlon faced each other and cried their greetings. Kagome slid from the lyon's back and laid her walking stick on the sand.

"How are you, my old friend?" asked the lyon.

"Well enough," said the starhorse. "Who is this you have brought with you? It's been many days since I have seen any living creatures but yourself."

Kagome bowed. She looked up and saw Charter marks swirling around on the horn of Avarclon and fading in and out on the starhorse's hide. She felt a warm, comforting heat radiating from him. "My name is Kagome," she said, "and I come from the castle of the vampyre--"

At the mention of the icarus, the starhorse shied and whinnied as if challenged. Kagome stopped, too startled to continue.

"Go on," urged the Pendarlon quietly. The starhorse seemed fierce and skittish as the lyon was strong and steady.

"Myouga, the duarough, sent me," continued Kagome.

Avarclon tossed his head and snorted, almosting smiling. "Ah, the Little Mage of the Caves of the Downwending. I see that he did not go with the queen to Esternesse. If I had known I had such an ally on these plains, I might've called on him. Tell me, little one, why are you here?"

"He has sent me," answered Kagome, "to tell you a rime he has found in the Book of the Dead. He says you will know its meaning."

The starhorse nodded, champing and sidling restlessly. "Tell me it."

Kagome recited the rime as it was still fresh in her mind. When she finished, the starhorse nickered softly and grew suddenly gentle. Beside her, Kagome thought she had caught the soft rumbling of the lyon's purr.

"Yes," the Avarclon finally said. "I have heard this rime before. It was one of the songs sung over me at my creation. I know its meaning."

"Your creation?" asked Kagome in wonder. "Aren't you mortal? Weren't you born?"

The starhorse laughed, whinnied and shook his great head. "The Eight made me, child, and the lyon, the hippogriff of the Esternesse, the gryphon of Osaka, the great she-wolf of Kyoto, the lithe sepent of the Sea of Dust." His eyes grew bright and far as he breathed deep. "She made these and the other Wardens of the World. Midoriko! She was a wise woman."

The Pendarlong had sat down purring on the sand near Kagome. The starhorse stomped his hooves and nickered where he stood.

"Midoriko?" inquired Kagome. "Who is Midoriko?"

The Avarclon whinnied fiercely and the lyon roared.

"Midoriko was the Great Charter being who made us," the starhorse replied. "She was the most powerful of them all. She was steadfast and kind. She foresaw all the great changes that were to pass - even the coming of the icarus and how they could be undone."

The Avarclon told Kagome about the Ancients and the Beginning. How they brought life to the once dead world. Then there were great wars and plagues. Water began to run out and the atmosphere thin. Species of plants and animals slowly died out and the Free Magic creatures grew stronger. One by one, the Ancients sealed themselves off, refusing to have any more to do with the slowly dying world.

The Great Eight were the lasts to go; to disappear into the Heavens, sealed away from the world that they had brought life to. But before they left, they created the Charter. Midoriko fashioned wardens with immense powers of the Charter to watch over the various quarters, protecting the people, and keeping the peace.

The lons had kept their ranges well for more than a thousand years - until the coming of the icari, powerful Free Magic creatures. No creatures seemed to be able to stand against them. Six lons had already fallen to six of the icari. The seventh was in Avaric. When he joined their ranks as a true vampyre and made their number complete, it was said that they would force against other kingdoms and take all the world in their hands.

Kagome felt the coldness in the starhorse's words. She sensed the Avarclon's hatred for the icari. "Why did you leave Avaric to the darkangel?" asked Kagome.

The Avarclon shook his head. "I was exiled. Do you think I would not return to vanquish the vampyre if I could? He has prove too strong for me, and fate is left unfulfilled. I cannot defeat him with my powers alone. Though neither could he destroy me, nor would I let him catch me to enslave me - so he has driven me out."

"But now the time is ripe," exclaimed Kagome. "Soon he will take his fourteeth bride and be the absolute master of the plain. You must come back with me. Isn't it written that by the hoof of the starhorse the vampyre will fall? Come back with me."

The Avarlcon shook his head slowly. He looked visibly weaker than he had a few minutes ago. His head drooped and his coat no longer shone with Charter marks. He seemed to grow gaunt before her eyes.

"If only if I could, child," he whispered, his voice growing thin and hoarse. "If only..."

The rim of the sun slid from behind the moon. Light spilled the dunes and the Avarclon gave a low moan of despair. His eyes were dull and glazed. His flesh shrank and melted away beneath the skin. Kagome could see his bones.

"What is it?" she cried softly. "What's happening?"

"Quiet, child," said the lyon. "He can not hear you."

The starhorse moaned again and shuddered. His legs grew stick - thin and buckled. He pitched forward onto the sand. Kagome gasped and pressed closer to the Pendarlon.

The grey horse struggled to rise. His wings thrashed desprately. His legs folded under him like a newborn colt's. His second attempt was weaker. His third weaker still. His wings ceased beating and he gave a deep sigh. His head bowed slowly till his nose touched the ground. His rib cage heaved and his breath stirred the sand.

"Each of us," said the lyon quietly,"each of the Wardens is bound to the lands we ward. None of us can spend many days from our domains without..."

Kagome hardly heard the rest. The sun was half-way out from behind the sun and the starhorse was aging before her. He no longer struggled to rise, or even keep his head up, but just to keep himself upright. He swayed, righted himself, and swayed again. His jet eye stared at the sky above; Kagome could see the sun reflected in it.

Then his eye darkened, even the reflected light went out. He lay still. He flesh moldered and crumbled. His moth-eaten skin hung in rags from the bone. The tatters sagged in the slight wind and then they, too, were gone. There was barely anything left - except for bones, hooves, the horn, a few strands of his mane and tail, and the feathers of his wings. The desert wind sighed softly, some of the feathers drifted away across the dunes.

"He's dead!" gasped Kagome, hardly believing it herself. "What killed him?"

"Exile killed him," Pendarlon answered, "He tried many times to return to the plains but each time the vampyre drove him back at the border. He has not set hoof in Avaric for twelve years."





















End of Chapter 10


AN:

Disclaimer: Yes, this is a disclaimer. Why? Because I have something to disclaim about. You know the whole Charter and Free Magic stuff? Well, unfortunately, I did not make all that up. I got the idea from The Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix. The three books, Sabriel, Lirael, and The Abhorsen, are in this trilogy and they are absolutely amazing. The magic is intense and it's wonderfully written. How Garth Nix came up with Charter Magic and Free Magic, I have no idea. But it's great and I'm apparently borrowing his idea for this story. I was kind of wished that I introduced this Magic thing earlier in the story but I didn't get the idea about putting it in the story until after I read the third book, The Abhorsen.

I highly recommend that you guys read that trilogy. It is the BEST magic trilogy I have EVER read. It's that great. Trust me on this. If you like magic, you will love this trilogy. Not only that, Sabriel is in #1 in the Top 10 Recommended Fantasy Books for Juvenile Readers. Well, the last time I checked the list it was, which was...well, that's not the point. READ IT!!

Well, I'm too lazy to proofread this chapter, so it's not perfect. I hope you guys understood the whole new Magic thing. If you didn't, just email or tell me in a review (gimme your email address though), and I'll happily explain it to you when I have time as fast as possible. Feel free to ask me any questions! I'm really hoping that the introducing this new Magic will spice up this story a bit and make it bit more original (even though it a bit of a mix of Pierce's and Nix's ideas).

Oh, before I forget. If any of you people know about Garth Nix's books and noticed any weird things about my explanations about the Charter and Free Magic, tell me, okay? I haven't read Sabriel and Lirael for a long time, so I might be incorrect about some stuff. And I know it suppose to be the Seven. I made it Eight so Midoriko could be in it.

Next Chapter:...uh...how bout..."The Free Magic Dogs of the Witch"

Hmm...I think I'll change when I get a different idea for the title...

Okay...I'm going to go to sleep.....wow it's only 11pm...-_-zZZzzz