InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Decision ❯ Chapter 1: The Tragedy ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha!

Warning: Some material may not be suitable for children under 18. Contains foul language in this chapter but no lemon.

Chapter 1

With Naraku defeated and the shikon no tama finally complete, Inuyasha, Miroku, Kagome, Sango, Shippo, Kirara, and even Myouga walked back towards Kaede's village. Inuyasha had been terribly wounded in the last battle, but as long as they took their time back to the village, he was okay. Yet while the gang should be happy, a feeling of sadness befell the group….especially Kagome. They all knew she would soon have to make her decision as to whether to stay with the group or go home. They soon arrived at the bone eater's well. Kagome stopped in her tracks and stared at the tree where she first met Inuyasha. Inuyasha noticed her staring and he too couldn't help but remember their first meeting. He looked at Kagome and knew that he would soon have to say goodbye. This thought stung him like a knife piercing his heart.

Out of the forest, Kaede appeared. "Kagome," she said with a smile. "Ye needs to make ye's decision." She motioned towards the well which now had began to glow bright blue.

"The well!" Kagome exclaimed.

"It's time Kagome," Kaede solemnly said. "I already cast part of the spell on the well allowing no one to follow. Ye will have to cast ye's own spell on the other side if ye should choose to return home."

"You…you mean I can never return?" she asked gazing into the well. Inuyasha stiffened at the sound of that. It had been two years since Kagome had found Inuyasha. How could she just leave that behind? The gang looked at Kagome, but before she could answer an arrow whizzed passed her head and struck the tree next to Inuyasha. Everyone looked up to find….Kikyo!

"I told you Inuyasha that you belonged to me!" Kikyo shouted, but before Inuyasha could respond, she released another arrow headed straight for its target….Inuyasha.

"NOOOO!" Kagome shouted and jumped in the path of the arrow. The arrow pierced through her school uniform with ease. Everyone stared in shock for a second. Kagome smiled weakly at Inuyasha, then fell limp to the ground.

"Ka-KAGOME!!!" Inuyasha shouted dropping to his knees next to her. "Why did you do that you stupid human girl?" he said shaking her and then holding her tight in his arms. Sango flung her boomerang at Kikyo but she quickly dodged it. It did however manage to separate Kikyo from her arrows. Inuyasha stood up. "I have put up with you trying to kill me and Kagome for the last time. This is it Kikyo!"

"Hmph!" Kikyo smirked. "Inuyasha I thought you loved me," she said with a sinister smile.

"I loved the Kikyo that protected the jewel fifty years ago. You are not her!" he said almost shaking from anger. Kaede walked over to where Kagome lay and pulled out the arrow. She sat next to her and watched the conversation taking place. Inuyasha continued, "I loved the soul that was reincarnated in Kagome. The soul that is pure and good and sought to heal not destroy. And…and…now…" Inuyasha trailed off. Everyone watched in amazement as he released a single tear that flowed down his cheeks and on to Kagome's face who he was still standing next to. "You killed my best friend you BITCH!!!"

"Hmph!" Kikyo said tossing her hair to the side. "She killed herself. I was trying to kill you and she got in the way. But it is much more amusing to let you survive and suffer. Good-bye, Inuyasha. I will see you in hell." With that she disappeared into the ground obviously allowing herself to go into hell never to be seen again.

Inuyasha lowered himself next to Kagome. They had come so far. Why now? Why did it have to end like this? Suddenly, someone's shadow was cast over him. He jumped up in a fighting stance once he realized who it was. "What do you want Sesshomaru?!"

"Easy brother. I mean not to fight you…this time." Inuyasha lowered his guard.

"Then what do you want?" he asked.

"What happened to the girl?" Sesshomaru asked.

"None of your damn business that's what! Now tell me why you're here!" Inuyasha shouted.

"Very well," Sesshomaru replied. "You saved my life in the last battle with Naraku. If I did not repay you…father would be angry. But I owe you once and only once! So what do want me to do? Save the girl who reeks of death or save you?"

"What do mean save me?!" Inuyasha shouted suddenly realizing that he was covered in his own blood.

Sesshomaru smiled. "Your senses are already fading. You couldn't even smell your own blood. With a wound like that, you will die shortly."

Inuyasha gripped his side suddenly overcome with pain. He fell but braced himself with one arm. "Me lord!" Myouga exclaimed. Everyone ran to his side.

"Save ye's strength Inuyasha!" Kaede said. Inuyasha looked at Sesshomaru.

"What the hell do you think I want you to do? SAVE KAGOME!!!" Inuyasha shouted.

Before anyone could say anything else. Sesshomaru drew tensaiga and held it over Kagome. He struck down the little creatures that had come to take her soul. "Wh-What happened?" she said with her eyes barely open. Her eyes suddenly opened wide when she saw the blood on Inuyasha. "INUYASHA!" she screamed running to his side. Miroku put a hand on her shoulder and told her everything that had just happened. Her eyes became misty as she realized that Inuyasha had given his life for hers. "Inuyasha…why.."

"Hey!" Shippo shouted, "Where did Sesshomaru go?" Everyone looked up and realized that he was gone. Kagome was far more concerned about Inuyasha. She ripped open his kimono to look at the wound. She gasped. It was awful. `There is no medicine here to treat this. He will surely die…' she thought. `But that's right. None here!'

"Kaede I need to return to my world to save Inuyasha," she said. "Can you lift your spell for the time being?"

"Don't be foolish child!" Kaede said quietly to Kagome. "This is beyond even my skill to heal."

"She's right Lady Kagome," Myouga chimed in. "But there again….Kaede, Kagome is from the future. Perhaps there are medicines there that we have never seen. Those and the combination of Kagome's priestess powers, she just might be able to save Master Inuyasha."

Kagome smiled. "That's right Myouga. There are medicines far more advanced in my world."

"Very well," Kaede waved her hand, said a few encantations, and the spell was lifted.

Kagome leaned down next to Inuyasha. She touched his soft silver hair. This caused him to release a weak purr of content. "I'll be back and I will not let you die." She held his hand. "Please be strong until I can return." He squeezed her hand gently.

"I-I'm sorry," Inuyasha managed to get out through his now ragged breath. The others seeing their need to be left alone slowly began to walk off so they could have their privacy. "And thankful," he finished. "Why did you risk your life for me?"

"Because I knew you would do the same….just like you did," she replied. "But why are you sorry?"

"For putting you in danger again," he said. "My senses were failing me or else I would have known Kikyo was in the area. I'm sorry."

"Look you do not need to be sorry. You risk your life for me all the time. What's more important is that Kaede does what she can for you and I return to my world to get the medicines," she said and moved to get up from where she kneeled. Inuyasha grabbed her arm and pulled her back down.

"I-I need to tell you something…just in case.." he said weakly.

"Don't talk like that!!! You are going to be fine!" she screamed her eyes filling with tears.

"Kagome," he said. `Tell her how you feel about her' his mind screamed, but he couldn't tell her any more than this. "You are my best friend. I don't know what I would do if I lost you. Please be careful. I can't protect you right now…" He trailed off and she realized that he had fallen unconscious.

"Kaede, Miroku, Sango…someone!" Kagome shouted. They immediately came running. Kaede knelt next to Inuyasha.

"Go child and with god speed! I will do what I can until then!" she commanded and with that, Kagome jumped into the well.

* * * *

A few hours had passed before she finally returned to the warring states era with the medicine in her yellow backpack. She took off running towards Kaede's village. When she reached Kaede's hut, she flung open the door to find solemn faces surrounding Inuyasha lying on a mat. Kagome didn't ask what had happened to him or if he was okay. She immediately removed the medicine her doctor friend gave her and injected him with the needle.

"What is that?" Myouga asked.

"It's a special medicine for fighting off infection, speeding up recovery, and increasing one's immune system," she replied. "I explained to my friend that Inuyasha was a half demon. He said that he actually had a medicine that would boost his natural ability to heal himself. Anything else he was afraid would actually kill him."

Everyone in the room knew Inuyasha was almost dead except Kagome. But they had faith in her and her medicine so they said nothing. She sat back and waited a few minutes. No one said anything. Then Miroku broke the silence.

"Lady Kagome," he began, "Should Inuyasha die…he wanted me to tell you something…"

"But he's NOT dead so I don't need to hear it!" she shouted back and then began to panic when she realized an hour had passed with still no sign of improvement.

"Kagome," Kaede said looking off into space. "You ARE a priestess." Everyone seemed confused by this statement but Kagome. She placed her hand on Inuyasha's wound. Nothing. She looked at Kaede. "Your heart Kagome. Speak from your heart and spirit," Kaede said. Kagome closed her eyes. `Let my powers and the medicine allow Inuyasha to live. Let my love let him live,' she thought. Suddenly wind blew from Inuyasha outwards causing Kagome to have to press her hand even harder on his wound. Her hair flapped in the wind and everyone else watched in amazement. Kagome's eyes were shut tight as she tried to maintain her balance from the force of the wind. Suddenly, the wind disappeared and Kagome began to pant like she had just run six miles way too fast. She collapsed on his chest from exhaustion but was still conscious as she struggled to lift herself so she could see if Inuyasha was alive. Nothing. `No,' she thought, `Inuyasha please come back to me.' She began to cry. Tears fell onto Inuyasha's cheeks. Everyone's head fell but Shippo's who just stared at Inuyasha in disbelief. How could the great Inuyasha be dead?