InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Decision ❯ Chapter 3: Inuyasha Opens Up ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

Warning: Language and scenes may not be suitable for children under 18

CHAPTER 3

Inuyasha kneeled there astonished at the events that had just taken place. He stared at the arrow that had struck the centipede demon trying to attack him from behind. The villagers picked up the centipede and quickly carried the demon away.

Inuyasha and Kagome stared at each other. Their friends exchanged glances between the two. Inuyasha touched his chest where the arrow could have easily been. Kagome noticed this.

"Do you really think I would ever hurt you Inuyasha?" Kagome asked as she removed her bow and arrows and placed them outside the door. She placed her hands on hips. "Even though I am in this outfit…I am not Kikyo! I may be her reincarnation, but my heart is my own. Maybe one day you will realize that." She turned and walked back inside the hut and continued mixing.

`I must have missed the scent of the demon because I was concentrating on Kagome,' he thought.

"How did she know…" he muttered as his eyes moved to where the demon had been.

Miroku answered his question before he could even finish it. "Kagome's powers are strong and they keep getting stronger just as Kaede said. I didn't sense the presence of the demon until I finally saw the arrow's path. Kagome, however, must have known it was coming. She will definitely be a loss when she finally returns to her time."

"That's right," Sango said. "I forgot in all of this drama that she would be leaving us soon."

Shippo hung his head. "I don't want Kagome to leave. Why can't Inuyasha leave instead of Kagome…" Shippo braced himself for the flogging that he knew he was about to receive from Inuyasha, but none came. Instead he just stared at the ground.

"I don't think any of us want her to leave, Shippo," Inuyasha said but before anyone could respond he continued with, "When is she leaving?"

"She said she was staying until you fully recovered and then she would head for home. She said this would probably be her last night with us since you seemed to be mending fairly quickly," Sango answered.

This statement actually stung Inuyasha with even more guilt. She was concerned for him and even with the way he had always treated her she still stayed to make sure he was okay. He would never be able to make everything up to her in less than twenty four hours. There is no way that she would ever want to stay with him now.

* * * *

Later that night, Kagome knelt by Inuyasha and dressed his wounds as Sango, Miroku, and Shippo built a fire outside. Kagome said nothing as she changed his bandages. The tension was killing them both.

She then touched his wound and said, "They are mere flesh wounds now. You will be fine without medicine from now on. Your demon blood will take care of the rest. I can leave tomorrow."

`So she is leaving,' Inuyasha thought. `Well what did you think you idiot! That she would actually consider staying with a lousy, rude hanyou like you?'

"I really think I need more medicine," he said suddenly. Kagome stopped what she was doing. She looked at him but his eyes stayed fixed on the ceiling.

"Oh really? Why is that?" she said not cracking a smile and placing her hands on her hips. "I gave you plenty and like I said…" Inuyasha grabbed her hand and sat up staring straight into her eyes.

"I don't mean that kind of medicine," he said gently stroking her hand with his thumb. "I need you. I need . . . your touch. Even Kaede said that your touch helps heal me. Just stay until I have fully recovered then you can do whatever you want to."

He looked at her pleadingly. Kagome was sincerely shocked at this. Why was he suddenly expressing his emotions? He's never done that in the past.

"Why should I?" she finally replied. "All you ever do is insult me and look at me as if I am just another Kikyo and not my own person. You even referred to me as `just a jewel detector' before. I am just a stupid human girl that happens to have the power to sense jewel shards. Well the shards are collected now." She held the complete jewel that still hung around her neck. "You have no use for me now." She picked up her supplies and began walking towards the door.

"Kagome wait! Please just hear me out!" he cried out. She stopped but did not turn to look at him. "Look, I am sorry for acting so rude earlier today. Hell, I am sorry for EVER acting rude to you. You have been nothing but nice, patient, kind, and loving to me since the day I met you and you have no reason to be. I am a lousy half-breed. I don't expect you to stay here with me and there is no way that I could ever make everything up to you. Please stay here with me. I need you Kagome. You are what makes me complete. Everything seems better when you're around. Just stay until I heal and I promise if I say anything rude or out of line to you at all during that time you can pick up and leave right then and there, and I won't even move to stop you." Kagome stayed with her back to him. Silence befell them for a few minutes while she thought about it.

"Fine," she finally said with her back still to him. "I will stay until you heal, but no more, and if you say anything to hurt me again I will leave." She turned to him. "It has been two years since we met and you have hurt me time and time again. It will be only a couple of days before I leave forever, Inuyasha." She sat next to him. "Can't we just make the last couple of days we will be spending together pleasant? I know who you really are Inuyasha and how you really feel." She allowed a small smile to creep onto her face as she spoke even softer dropping her gaze from him to the floor. "If you insist on never opening up to me then I guess there is nothing I can do. No matter what remember that you are my best friend and I will always love you for that." With that she kissed him on his forehead. "Now is there anything else that you need?"

Inuyasha just sat there cod-mouthed from the kiss and from her so easily expressing her dear friendship to him. She kissed him? That was the first time her lips had ever touched his skin. It had definitely had an affect on his emotions. But why did she still remain so kind?

`Kagome is finally getting fed up with me being rude and my insults,' he thought. `I couldn't blame her if she never came back….'

"Yes," he finally said and grabbed her in a tight hug. "You're my best friend too Kagome. No one has ever treated me as an equal, but you…you treat me as if I am no different than you. I have never trusted anyone until you and I can honestly say that I trust you completely and with everything that I am."

He wanted to tell her so much more than that but he knew that the timing was not right and that Kagome was still hurt so he let her go. Kagome smiled a sincere smile for the first time since he had been rude. `I am going to make everything up to her,' he thought. `If I don't I will never see her again.'

* * * *

Kagome joined Miroku, Sango, and Shippo by the fire. She decided to relax and just enjoy the evening with her friends. They continued into the night laughing, joking, and having a great time. Inuyasha had even decided to join them after a while and actually behaved himself.

"Kagome, why don't you sing for us again. It is getting late and I know I could use something soothing to relax me," Sango said.

"Yeah, Lady Kagome," Miroku added. "That was amazing this afternoon. You even had old dog boy over there in a trance."

Kagome looked at Inuyasha who gave Miroku a menacing glare. He realized she was looking at him. `This is your opportunity,' he thought. `Tell her how beautiful she sounded this afternoon and how you would love to hear more.' He opened his mouth to speak but Kagome beat him to it.

"I really think Inuyasha's ears might be a little too sensitive to my singing," she said yawning and stretching. "Besides I am tired." She got up and began to walk towards the hut.

`Say something,' Inuyasha thought to himself. `Stop her! Now is your chance.'

She disappeared into the hut. Inuyasha looked up to meet the glares of everyone remaining. Ignoring them he got up and almost ran after her. He entered the hut.

"Kagome I…" he said but his voice left him when he saw how beautiful she looked lying there. She pretended to be asleep. He walked over to her and knelt next to her. He touched her cheek and ran a single claw through her silky black hair.

`She is beautiful,' he thought. `Why haven't I noticed `til now. I have. I just haven't been able to admit it to myself.'

He leaned down close to her ear and whispered, "I'm sorry. I loved your voice this afternoon. My ears would never be too sensitive to hear your voice again." He stood up and walked towards the door.

"Inuyasha," Kagome said making him whirled around to see her sitting up staring at him with misty eyes. "Is there something that you wanted to tell me?"

He tried to swallow the lump that had developed in his throat after he realized she heard what he said. `Tell her,' he thought. `Tell her again.' Kagome's face began to fall when it took him so long to answer.

"Okay then," she said and turned to lie down again.

"I just want to say," he began. "That my ears are not sensitive." She gave him a bewildered look. "I mean you can sing if you want. It won't bother me."

Kagome smiled. She translated this to mean, "I like your singing, I'm sorry about this afternoon, Will you come sing for me again?" She decided to go easy on him this time. At least, he had made an effort. She stood up and followed him outside.

"Ah, Kagome!" Miroku smiled. "Come to sing for us?"

"Yippee!" Shippo exclaimed. "C'mon Kagome! Let's hear it!" Shippo nestled up next to her like a child awaiting a bedtime story.

"Yeah," Sango agreed. Sango and Miroku settled themselves on their mats and awaited Kagome to begin. Inuyasha seemed very tense and still felt a little guilty from earlier. Kagome realized this and patted the mat next to her. "Inuyasha you can sit here if you like…Ooops!" she stopped realizing what she just said. Inuyasha lay face down on the ground next to her. "OWWWW!!!!" he shouted when he hit the ground.

"Inuyasha I am so sorry!" Kagome managed to get out through her and everyone else's laughter. Even Inuyasha had to laugh at that a little.

"Very funny Kagome," he said with a smile. "You did that on purpose didn't you?"

Everyone was shocked at him accepting hitting the ground. They just stared at him but Miroku and Sango exchanged secret smiles.

"Actually I didn't! Not that time anyway!" she replied but then in a lower voice added, "You can't say you didn't deserve it." He smiled at her and she smiled back.

"Hmph!" he said crossing his arms. He decided that it was best if he didn't argue with her.

The other three just smiled and exchanged glances, happy that the two were getting along again. Inuyasha settled himself next to her resting his head on her lap. He looked up at her for her approval. She let him and even started rubbing his head and ears. She received a purr of content in return. She began singing and everyone fell into the same trance as they had earlier.

It wasn't long before everyone except Kagome was asleep. She gently lifted Inuyasha's head to get up and placed it gently back down on the mat. She then tip-toed inside the hut to settle herself into bed. Shortly she looked up to see a figure standing above her. She was about to scream when the figure cupped its hands over her mouth.

"Shhhh!" the voice said. "It's me."

"Inuyasha?" Kagome queried. "What are you doing here?"

"I…um…was wondering…that is…if you don't mind and it wouldn't be uncomfortable to you…and…er…uh…well…since you will be leaving soon…" he said fumbling over his words. Kagome's patience was wearing thin.

"Inuyasha just say it!" she said suddenly.

"Can I sleep with you…just for tonight?" he looked at her with hopeful, pleading eyes. "You don't have to if you feel uncomfortable."

Kagome sat in shock for a moment then said, "Why do you want to?"

Inuyasha finally told the truth without hesitation (maybe it was because it was dark and he really didn't have to look her in the eye).

"I want you next to me," he said blushing and looking towards the ground. "You comfort me and I really enjoyed your singing out there. It made me want to be as close to you as I could. I don't really think you know how much I really do need and appreciate you." Kagome's eyes grew misty and her heart started to pound harder. Did he just say what she thought he said?

"Okay," she finally said.

Relieved, Inuyasha settled next to her spooning her and drawing in her precious scent. He laid there for a while just enjoying the fact that he could finally be next to Kagome in such a way without any remorse. He eventually decided he would try to wrap his arm around her. She didn't protest so either she was asleep or didn't mind. He hoped it was the second.

`Where did that come from?' Inuyasha thought. `Why was I so desperate to be next to her?' He glanced at her and thought again how beautiful she was with the moonlight coming in through the window and dancing about her delicate features. `Why did I say all of those things? Do I truly feel that way? What's happening here? Kagome is…well KAGOME! But why this sudden urge to never let her go? And why do I feel so relieved that these feelings are getting out? Did I really feel this way for her this whole time? Even through Kikyo?' Inuyasha yawned realizing how tired he was. He decided he would talk to someone about it tomorrow. He soon drifted off to sleep.

* * * *

Kagome woke up the next morning and to her surprise found Inuyasha's arm draped over her.

`Why is he suddenly being so nice? And why the hell is his arm around me?!' she thought as she gently lifted his arm and slid out from underneath his grasp. She just looked at him for a moment. `He looks so peaceful,' she thought admiring him as he slept. `He is actually fairly attractive with his rippling biceps, fuzzy ears, beautiful, silver hair, and….Whoa! Whoa! Hold on a sec! This is the rude, selfish, jealous Inuyasha we're talking about here. But he can be sweet when he wants to and he has risked his life several times protecting mine. I think deep down he is just a sweet softy who has to keep up his tough disposition to save face. But last night…the way he acted…the things he said…he actually broke down his guard. Perhaps he is finally letting me know he cares as much for me as I do him…WAIT! How much do I care for him? It thrilled me to death when I found him draped around me this morning. Could I…do I…love Inuyasha?'

With that she dismissed the thought and decided to look at Inuyasha's wounds. She opened his white shirt to peer inside. She undressed his bandages to find…his wounds almost completely healed. An overwhelming feeling of disappointment consumed her emotions.

`Wait,' she thought. `Why would I not want Inuyasha to heal?

"I will stay until your wounds have almost healed then I will leave," her words from the previous day echoed in her head. She stood up and kept looking back at the hut as she walked outside.

"I didn't expect him to heal that fast," she thought aloud as she almost ran over Kaede. "Oh, Kaede…I didn't see you there…sorry!" Kaede smiled.

"Nay child. Do not worry yeself over an old woman." Kaede smiled at Kagome. Kagome began to walk past her when Kaede called out, "It was not the medicine that cured Inuyasha child." Kaede began to walk towards the hut. Kagome whirled around pondering what she had just said.

"Kaede!" Kagome called out running after her. "What did you mean `it wasn't the medicine.'" Kaede smiled up at Kagome.

"It was your love, child. Ye are a great miko, even greater than my sister. Ye have extreme powers and they are only increasing with each passing day. It was ye love for Inuyasha and ye desperation to save him that sustained his health. I tell ye these things because I can sense ye will be leaving us soon. Ye need to know these things before ye cross over to ye's time. I would love for ye to stay with us. Ye could protect us and take my place as the village's caretaker. I am old, child. My time will be coming shortly and I need someone to take my place. The offer is always open, but I know that it will be impossible for ye to do this and see ye's family. Therefore, I do not hold disagreement or discomfort in ye going to ye's time." [Aren't all the "ye's" annoying ]

With that Kaede walked into her hut. Kagome just stood there not believing what she was hearing. `I…a great miko?' she thought. With Inuyasha healing and this new information she knew her decision about which world to live in would be coming soon. She decided to seek out Sango and Miroku for their advice.

"Sango! Miroku!" she called out as she searched for them. She found them walking a good distance from the hut. "Hey guys!"

"Kagome!" they said in unison.

"What brings you here?" Miroku asked.

"I need to talk to you guys for a minute. Do you mind if we sit down?"

They walked together until they found a grassy plain just outside the village and sat down.

"Is something worrying you Kagome?" Sango inquired.

"As you both know," Kagome began. "I am going to have to make my decision as to whether to stay here or go back to my time very soon. I need your help in making that decision. I want to do what is best for the shikon no tama," she said holding it up.

Miroku and Sango just stared at her for a minute. Neither of them really knew what to say. Then a little voice surprised the three.

"Kagome!" a familiar voice yelled. The little kitsune came running from the bushes and jumped on Kagome's shoulder. "You can't leave! Don't you like us?"

Kagome smiled. "Of course I do, Shippo," she said hugging the little fox. "It's just a little more complicated than that."

"She's right," Miroku said. "She has a family on the other side and her normal life to go to. Plus, the shikon no tama is complete and we have to decide what to do with it."

Shippo sniffled a little and decided to just sit there and be quiet seeing as how the decision to be made was a lot more complicated than he had originally thought. Seeing this, Kagome continued, "What are my options Miroku?"

"Well," he began when yet another voice interrupted.

"I believe I have some say in this too," Kaede proclaimed joining the rest of them. She was right. No one knew more about the jewel than Kaede. She would be a great help in making the right decision. "Ye cannot take the jewel back to ye's time, child. Demons of all sorts could cross over. They would find a way to get through the well and into ye's world where they would surely reek havoc on ye's time and family."

"Right," Miroku said. "And Inuyasha would not be able to protect you, your family, and your world. That is if he even made it in time to save you. Speak of the devil!"

Inuyasha was walking up to them with his arms folded into his kimono. He took a seat next to Kagome but did not utter a word. He had heard part of the conversation on his way to the group and was merely there to hear what was going on. After all, he knew he would play some part in this.

"Great!" Kagome said with a smile. "Now everyone is here! I need all of your help. Okay so what were you saying?"

Miroku continued. "Should you decide to go back to your time you will need the jewel to get back. You can't go back without it so you will need to drop the shikon no tama during your descent so it will land at the bottom of the well here. The bad part is…you will never be able to return to our time."

This sent chills down everyone's spine. Kagome not here? Inuyasha looked especially uncomfortable at the thought. Kagome wasn't too happy about it either.

"Okay…well, what's option two?" Kagome asked.

Kaede was the first to speak this time. "Should ye decide to return home, ye would go back to ye's normal life with ye's school, friends, and family of the other world. Should ye decide to stay here, ye will become the protector of the shikon no tama and the priestess of the village here should ye decide to do so. However, if ye should decide to stay here, ye will have to maintain ye's responsibilities as priestess and in order to protect your family, seal the well so no one can return to ye's time. The decision is yours and yours only."

Kagome looked a little disappointed. She didn't want to leave the warring states era but she didn't want to leave her family and friends behind either. What should she do? With hopeful eyes she looked up at Kaede.

"Will I ever be able to see my family again if I stay here?" she asked hopefully.

"Ye will be able to when ye change the seals on the well to ensure their strength. That only comes once a year," Kaede replied.

Everyone else was just as frustrated with the situation as Kagome was. Once a year? That's it! This is probably going to be the toughest decision she has ever had to make.

"Inuyasha," Kaede said. "Should Kagome decide to stay with us, ye will have to go with her every year to change the seals, for demons will eventually find out about the well and try attack her during this time. They will use her family's safety as her weakness. Ye will have to protect Kagome while she does this."

Inuyasha had not breathed a word the entire time. He just nodded his head in response to Kaede. His expression, however, told everything. He couldn't ask Kagome to stay here away from her family. Besides why would she want to stay with a lousy hanyou anyway. Inuyasha snarled under his breath. Kagome's decision was obvious to him and he didn't want to deal with it.

`What would I do without Kagome?' he suddenly thought realizing that it was her who brought him to life. Pictures of Kagome flashed back through his mind: the first time they met, their almost kisses, Inuyasha saving her again and again, her crying over him, their meeting with each member of the group.

`I can't lose her,' he thought looking at her with tear filled eyes. `Whoa! Pull yourself together man! Don't reveal your weaknesses!' Inuyasha stood up.

Everyone looked at him, puzzled. He didn't say a word and just turned and walked away towards his forest. Everyone stared blankly after him.

Shippo broke the silence. "What's his problem?"

"He is obviously troubled by Lady Kagome's decision. He probably is just going to find a tree to sit in and think," Miroku said. Kagome looked in the direction Inuyasha had walked.

"This isn't an easy decision. I want to be with you guys but I have a life back home too," Kagome finally managed to get out through teary eyes.

"Kagome, we are here for you," Sango said softly, rushing to her friend's side. "We will support you in whatever decision you make. Of course we want you to stay here with us, but we also realize that you have a family and other responsibilities to go home to. Right guys?" Everyone nodded in agreement.

"I think I just need to be left alone," Kagome said as she got up and slowly walked away obviously pondering her decision.

"Poor Kagome…Poor Inuyasha," Miroku said as he stood up. Sango looked at him funny.

"What are you talking about?" Sango said bewildered.

"Isn't it obvious," Kaede chimed in. "Inuyasha and Kagome are in love with each other though neither one of them can admit it. This decision is going to weigh heavily on her. She has to choose between her family and the one she loves."

"Well, in that case, we know what her decision is going to be," Sango said crossing her arms. "With the way he treats her we know she'll head straight for home."

These words stung Inuyasha as he continued to listen to their conversation in a tree at the edge of the forest.

`No!' he thought. `Kagome can't leave. She just can't!'