InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Gift ❯ Just the Beginning ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer- Don't own Inuyasha or Jade Empire. This is based on pure fiction any similarities to real life persons or events would be unintentional and just plain scary
 
It wasn't everyday you were leaving the continent. Leaving your almost father, your friends, to a place so very much different then home. Jian Ning wasn't being sold to some cradle robbing noble, which others would believe. She wasn't yet 15 and barely had anything worth buying in that since. She was leaving under much worse circumstances.
 
For she was in fact a spirit monk or hoped to be at least. Her mother and father died when they decided it was a good idea to stay in a town that reeked of corruption and death. Both were killed when a mad, twisted spirit found them roaming on to his grave. Luckily for her a real spirit monk was in the area and happened to be searching for the ghost that killed her parents. It was another stroke of luck that one didn't need to been born with special parents to be blessed with her remarkable, shall we say, talents.
 
The monk of course didn't know about these talents but took her in because well because he couldn't just leave a baby in the middle of a dried out swamp. Plus, it just so happened his shrine was a one that was always in need of help and often took in orphans. From these humble beginnings Jian was raised by this monk and many others in the shrine of Dirge.
 
But being a shrine does not protect it from attack especially, when it's the shrine to a water god, your country has been going through a 20 year drought, and the Emperor is a power hungry mad men with every intention of becoming a God himself. No, it didn't help at all.
 
Of course, Jian didn't know this she wouldn't have left home if she did. Her adopted father only asked her to leave because Japan was having trouble with the unrested spirits and had many more demons to learn about before she could become a monk herself
 
But it didn't matter now because she was already more then half way there and unknown to her she had no home left.
 
 
All was still as he gazed out to the ocean waiting for his new possession to arrive. For once something had been easy. A day's journey to the continent had told him what he needed. What he was needed was information and a challenge. For he among all things was a collector. How he loved the precious jewels he obtained. Not only because they were one of a kind but he loved the how he acquired them. He loved the hunt. And unlike most collectors he didn't let his prized possessions sit on a mantle. He broke them down, figured out how they worked, then put them back together again. Only he made them better, stronger, and loyal. When he finished they were but piece little mirrors of him, just as cold and sadistic.
 
So when he grew slightly tired of Japan's precious commodities he decided to expand his reach. No, he had yet to conquer his homeland. But to conquer it entirely, the way he wanted, he need a little something more. Oh, he wielded not only a great power himself but a legion of demons was on his beck and call. Still he knew he wasn't invincible not yet anyway. But mortality was a flaw easily fixed. And the cure hadn't been hard to procure. It had been easy to convince the eager monk to give up his jewel. The monk loved it to much to see it get harmed or put in the wrong hands, anyway to get it away from the monastery due to be attacked. For the second time in this decade the pleasure wasn't in the procuring it was going to be in the breaking. He walked along the shore silent as the sea and started to think,
 
`It's ironic. I've never broken something so fragile before I'll have to be careful with this one. It's easier to break something hard without completely destroying against chance of repair. Because when something's hard you have time to try out new hammers on it, you can be clumsy and heartless and it might barely crack. No I have to be carefull, break it only enough to see its pieces then make it so its never fragile again'
 
He was going to take his time though this was going to be an interest gem, a spirit monk. She had the power to destroy spirits, demons, and men but not with purifying magic as the mikos used. That could be a danger to him. It was something he couldn't control for it was too pure. But from what he knew of the spirit monks they were able to use physical techniques against the undead. Even more interesting the little monk was able to learn at incredible speeds and use magic to heal herself.
 
`I think I'll rather enjoy myself' he thought and as a cruel smile was playing across his lips a boat was gilding across the ever-deceiving sea.
 
Inuyasha had been collared, trampled, burned and beaten more times in the last four years then feed. For four long years he sat in the depths of Naraku's dungeon, a cold dark abyss that only reflected the fate of persons sent there. The floors reeked of sweat, blood and urine, the air was thick with screams in what Inuyasha could only presume was day and silent during the long hours of the night. That mold and fungus that grew from over head was the only thing truly alive in that place forgotten by the light and damned by hell. Yet there sat the hanyou trembling but defiant none the less.
 
His body wasn't racked of scars as it should have been. If they showed at all they were pale and thin as if his whole body was tickled by a quill with white ink. Currently the only wound on his body is one he knew would all ways be there. A thick leather collar was bound around his neck and while it caused bruising from time to time what really hurt him was when the clamp in the back bit in to his neck, in relation of how a dog carries her young. The clamp would yank his head up and if the “master” so chooses another rope is pulled and three thin piano wires cut into neck. He had been cuffed only a few times because as a punishment it was very effective.
 
Of course not of his injuries had not come from him doing bad they were experiments. They were his experiments, Naraku. Or at least that's was what he told Inuyasha, it was why he was under Naraku's care in the first place. It had been Sesshomaru who sent him, to fix his tainted blood. Naraku didn't know what he was looking for so he searched everywhere on the hanyou's body, under his skin included. Then when he couldn't find anything physical he tried mentally abusing him. He insulted him threatened him and whispered word for hours on end just to see what could drive him mad. Then when he still couldn't solve the enigma that was Inuyasha, Naraku made him perform tasks, fighting other demons mostly. Fighting until he was to tired to raise his arms, till vision blurred and his senses dulled to almost nothing. It all happened here, well except some demon opponents were to big to brought inside or weren't caught yet.
 
No, the only time he was punished was when he refused, when he would be pushed anymore. And it had been a long time since he resisted. He wasn't broken, not quite yet but he just figured the more he fought the stronger he would get, the more he was trusted the more likely he would be able to leave his cage. And he wanted out. But presently Inuyasha was taking a breather. Naraku had been ignoring him for some reason, but Inuyasha wasn't complaining ,really, its just when Naraku was doing something to him he had focus but now he was just alone in the dark. Inuyasha felt that if the screams didn't drive him mad, the silence would.