InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Giver is the Gift ❯ The Greatest Gift ( Chapter 12 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters contained herein. They are the exclusive property of their original copyright holders. I just play with them for my own amusement.
 
The Giver is the Gift
 
The Greatest Gift
 
Kagome hummed a merry tune as she made her way to the well to retrieve the last odds and ends of her friends' Christmas presents. Her gift giver had struck again last night, leaving a beautiful tea kettle that she would always treasure.
 
She paused at the edge of the clearing when movement and a flash of russet caught her eye. Shippo was sitting on the edge of the well, and he looked upset.
 
"What's wrong, Shippo?" she asked. "I'm just going to pick up some things. I'll be back soon."
 
"It's -- It's not --" Sniffling, he held out an empty glass jar. "This was supposed to be your last present, Kagome. My foxfire was supposed to be inside, but I can't get it to stay lit." He threw himself into her arms. "I'm sorry. I wanted it to be just as good as the others."
 
Kagome stroked his hair and rocked him gently. "Don't be upset, Shippo. You've already given me the best present possible."
 
"I have?" At her nod, he asked, "What is it?"
 
"Your giving heart." She chuckled at his confused look. "You helped all of those people when you didn't have to. Even if you did it to pay for the things you gave me, you could have just as easily walked away and found other things you didn't have to pay for." She smiled sweetly. "Knowing that you're becoming such a caring, generous person is the greatest gift you could ever give me."
 
Word Count: 250
 
A/N: Well, folks, that's the end. I truly hope you-all enjoyed it. This was a lot of fun to do. I just want to say "thank you" to everyone who took a minute to review -- and guess -- and to everyone who read but didn't comment I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks again, all.
 
Catch ya later,
~Patch