InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Heart of You ❯ To the End ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

THE HEART OF YOU




 
Summary: Sesshomaru captures Kagome in order to bring down his brother- the lowly hanyou. Though it wasn't planned, in their time together, Kagome starts melting Sesshomaru's heart as she did his brother's, and Kagome's hate for the demon slowly fades. What happens when Inuyasha gets Kagome back but when faced in battle with Sesshomaru she starts to fall apart? Kagome will eventually have to choose between the stubborn hanyou she's loved all her time in their era and the handsome half brother of his. As shocking as her decision is, it's her decision and now she has to live with it.
 
 
CHAPTER 1- The capture
 
Blood bathed his sword as it cut a very fine line through his enemy who now laid life-less on the cold, blood strewn soil. Sesshomaru snickered as he handed his unholy sword to Jaken. Quickly, the faithful servant pulled out a cloth and began to wipe away the mess.
 
“L-lord Sesshomaru…” whined the lowly creature. “Where are we? This forest is black as the depths of hell yet it be midday!”
 
The demon was silent all except for the low growl that had started to accumulate in his throat.
 
“P-pardon me, milord! I spoke out of place… forgive me, forgive me!”
 
Sesshomaru's fist began to tighten. “This forest is the dwelling of many of evil spirits as the one I slew. This- the Forest of Aku- is where I shall increase the power of my sword- Tokijin- by destroying its powerful demons.”
 
“And what, milord, are you planning on doing with your new endowment?”
 
The silence, now unbroken, continued for quite some time before Jaken finally heard Sesshomaru speak in a hushed and dangerous tone.
 
“I, Sesshomaru, have a plan to take down my dear younger brother.” Suddenly, he broke his whisper. “Rin! Come along. We are leaving for Inuyasha's village.”
 
--------
 
“INUYASHA!!!” A shrill voice of an angry Kagome broke out over the land. “GIVE ME BACK MY PACK! THERE'S NO RAMEN IN THERE AND EVEN IF THERE WERE YOU WOULDN'T GET ANY YOU JERK!”
 
A fed up Shippou sat on a rock nearby the bathing area and licked a lollypop. He rolled his eyes as he watched Kagome- wrapped only in a towel- chase after Inuyasha who was holding her pack throwing things here and there and looking for ramen all the while.
 
~When will he learn? ~ He thought (referring to Inuyasha of course.) The fox demon's ears flattened of a sudden. He knew what was coming when a wailing Kagome screeched to a halt, one hand on her hip, the other cupped at the side of her mouth as if to magnify her voice.
“SIT BOY!!! SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT SIT!!!!!!!!”
 
~…12, 13, 14! WAHAHA!!~ thought Shippou as he crawled over to the crater that held Inuyasha. If he had not jumped out of the way he would have been pounded into a crater himself for soon Inuyasha's fist slammed into the ground around the crater and helped lift his aching body up.
 
A furious Kagome stomped over to the limp Inuyasha and retrieved her bag throwing in everything he had thrown out.
 
“I don't know why I put up with this. Seriously, Inuyasha! You NEED to learn to grow up.” Tear beads formed in the corners of her eyes as she let out a huge yawn. “Now if you don't mind, you selfish hanyou, I'll be going home for the night!”
 
Minutes later, Kagome left lady Kaede's hut, all changed for the night. She thanked everyone, said her goodbyes, and hurried to the well.
 
--------
 
The near full moon shone bright that night. Rin and Jaken had to almost run to keep up with Sesshomaru's long strides. Tonight he wore his fearsome, emotionless face…of course he had always worn it. He felt an enormous burst of energy coming up through his stomach. For a normal human it would have been identified as excitement; for Sesshomaru it was the feeling of revenge. In fact, if you hadn't known better, you could say that Sesshomaru almost had a smile on his face. Yes, you COULD have said that- if it weren't Sesshomaru.
 
Rin looked down to the ground. She could almost feel the hate emanating from Sesshomaru's body. For some reason she was a little afraid. The man that she loved… she looked up to as a father was now so much less like the man she saved. He was now even more intimidating than ever. The thought of this being his true self sent a chilling shiver down her spine. Jaken seemed fine. Maybe this was her lord's true self?
 
“What's wrong, Rin?” Jaken asked- more out of curiosity than worry. Like he actually cared for the pesky human.
 
Rin, on the brink of tears whispered into Jaken's ear “Master Jaken! What is wrong with lord Sesshomaru? Why is he acting so… so… scary?”
 
A look confusion- better described as a look of `what the heck?!' crossed his face. Was she really afraid of lord Sesshomaru? Of course this is what he looked like every time he went into a serious battle! What a silly child.
 
--------
 
 
Wind blew through his long silver hair as Sesshomaru approached the well. By the look on his face one would think his mind almost empty. On the contrary, much was running through his mind. Up ahead he saw a clearing and as he stepped out of the woods he saw a woman in the corner of his eye. This was it. This was the person he'd been waiting for.
 
“Rin, Jaken, go retrieve that monstrosity you ride and ready it for me.” He spoke in a tone much lower than a whisper. Had it been any quieter they would not have heard him.
 
At his order, Rin brought her hand up to her forehead in a salute and turned to get the demon he had mentioned, Jaken trailing behind.
 
Sesshomaru took only two steps forward before the girl turned around in alarm.
 
“Who…oh my god!” she exclaimed. “S-Sesshomaru…”
 
“Heh heh heh. Very good. And you are Inuyasha's wench, no doubt?”
 
“Wha..?! I… no! You…” Kagome stuttered trying so hard to ease out of the forest. But she couldn't keep calm.
 
The next thing she knew, she was scooped up into his arms, staring into his golden eyes that were momentarily looking in hers. He then moved his gaze to the edge of the forest from which he had emerged.
 
From there Kagome saw a young child, a giant demon dragon with two heads, and a small… a small… uh… well it was another demon, ok? She didn't know what the heck it was.
 
She then turned her eyes back to the youkai who held her. With a soft, chilling voice he spoke.
 
“You, wench, are coming with me.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER 2- Sesshomaru's plan
 
It was already after dark when Inuyasha finally slunk back to the hut. That damned Kagome! 14 `sit's! 14! He'd kill her as soon as she got back.
 
--------
 
A week had passed since Kagome was captured. She was hunched over the dragon's back, arms chained together.
 
“Ugh! My back aches from riding this dragon non-stop! And my legs are sore and chafing. C-can we stop? When do we eat? I'm starving. And I haven't had anything to drink for so long I feel like the Sahara!”
 
There was a long silence then with a loud moan and sigh she seemed ready to start complaining again. As she filled her lungs with air she was interrupted.
 
“Honestly, lord Sesshomaru! Why do we have to drag along this human? All she does is complaining. And even worse she's riding right next to me so I have to listen to it…”
 
He was stopped by a kick in the head. It was Kagome.
 
“You're complaining too you know! What, don't you ever have to eat?” her stomach grumbled over the ruckus of their yelling and bickering.
 
“Silence.” Sesshomaru's words were firm yet he didn't raise his voice. “If the woman bother's you then she can ride beside me. If that is what it takes to silence this annoyance.”
 
All were surprised. Sesshomaru had invited Kagome to ride along side him?
 
Kagome shied back as the dragon took two large leaps and landed at Sesshomaru's side. They continued on- to god knows where.
 
Kagome didn't know what to say. She was full of hatred for the man beside her. He had tried many times to kill her… even more Inuyasha! Inuyasha… that's right. She wanted to see Inuyasha again. But the only problem is that they had a fight before she left… and she had said she was going home. So even if he DID find out she was missing he wouldn't really care. He'd just stalk up on ramen and have the time of his life. No Kagome to nip him in the rear because he was being obnoxious or stupid or just plain dangerous. He'd be happy, right? Wrong.
 
--------
 
Back home at the village Inuyasha paced back and forth. Why had Kagome not come back yet? It'd been a week since she left. Even if she WAS mad, she had always come back within a few days either feeling regret or not even remembering the incident. But this time was different. Was she really mad at him? No. he doubted that she was like that… he KNEW she wasn't like that. That means that something happened. Something bad! Either someone hurt her here and she couldn't get back, or the klutz had gone and broken something back home and had to go to the hospital. Either way he just HAD to go check on her. It wasn't because he was worried… no it wasn't that. It was just… well… it was… OK HE WAS WORRIED.
 
--------
 
Sango woke up just in the nick of time to see Inuyasha heading out. ~What could he be up to so early in the morning? ~ (it was still dark so Sango could tell) she got up and got dressed in a hurry. When she pushed the door aside she looked out at Inuyasha with a worried look on his face just as he turned and darted into the forest in the direction of the well. Worried about her friend, she went to go wake up Miroku.
 
“Miroku! Miroku, wake up!” Sango insisted.
 
In just a moment's time Miroku opened his eyes to see Sango knelt over him.
 
“Oh, San…” he spoke, his arms reached outward.
 
“Inuyasha's acting funny! I'm worried, come on. We have to follow him.” Sango said almost screaming.
 
*sigh* “And I thought you came for something else… my. Well I suppose we can pursue him.”
 
No more than two minutes later they were running in the same direction as Inuyasha went, Sango in her Taijia dress and Miroku in his monk garb with a red hand print across his face.
 
--------
 
As Inuyasha approached the well he gave a sigh of relief at what he didn't find: a bloody Kagome, her clothes ripped and her breath long gone. But a sudden intake of breath was the result of what he did see. ~Kagome's pack! ~ He thought. ~She wouldn't have gone home without it! ~
 
“Damn!” he cursed. “Damn it to hell!! Why does this kind of stuff always happen to her?!” An enraged Inuyasha sniffed about the area desperately searching for clues. And he did find one. One very big clue. His eyes widened and his hands that were balled up in fists now drooped at his sides. His ears lay back on his head and a growl emanated from his throat.
 
“Sesshomaru.”
 
--------
 
After about three more minutes of complaining, Rin started in.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, I'm hungry too! Can we please stop and get something to eat?”
 
Sesshomaru stopped advancing. As if following each step he took, so did the dragon. Kagome, out of breath from arguing panted and tried to hold herself up until she just didn't have the strength. Her head shot down at the dragons back but before it could touch, her right leg slipped up, her left leg slipped down, and she slid- head first- into Sesshomaru who caught her and set her up against a tree.
 
He bent down to get a good look at her face. It was pale and pasty covered in a cold sweat. Her hair clung to her face, the sweat acting as an adhesive. The color was slowly fading from her lips and she was panting wildly.
 
Rin seeing this whole ordeal ran up to see if the girl was okay. She went past Sesshomaru who now turned his gaze to the young child trying to help the human- Kagome. Rin ripped a small piece of cloth off the first layer of her kimono (so no one would notice the tear) and used it to wipe the sweat from the Kagome's face. She then put her hand to it pulling back as if she had touched a lit stove.
 
“She's burning up!” Rin announced. “We must get her something to eat and drink. She'll probably have to rest for a while too. And look at the inside of her legs!” they were torn and bloody from the hard scales on the dragon she had ridden. Carefully, Rin removed the chains on her hands. To her surprise her wrists were bruised black and blue. “She can't be wearing these anymore… and she shouldn't ride the dragon. But when she gets over hunger… she won't be able to walk for a while. We either stay here for as long as she needs or… I suppose she'd have to be carried.”
 
Sesshomaru looked down at the girl. Though his face didn't show it, he was surprised at how much she knew.
 
“You are sure, Rin?”
 
The little girl looked up at her `father' pleased he had been listening and nodded happily.
 
“Then it is settled. This is where we rest for the night. Rin, find food and water for you and the girl. Jaken, listen closely for I am about to tell you our plan.”
 
--------
 
Inuyasha had gone back to the hut, Sango and Miroku still in his pursuit. He threw aside the door nearly knocking it off.
 
“Kaede-hag!” he screeched “Old hag, where are you!”
 
A not very happy Kaede appeared from the back of the room. “What is it, Inuyasha? And could you please call me ANYthing but old hag? You are so impolite.”
 
She might have continued on about `kids these days' had Inuyasha not blurted out what had happened.
 
“Kagomehasn'tbeenbackforawhilesoiwenttoseeifsomethinghappen edandifoundherpackatthewellandthenismelledSesshomaruandijustknewitwashim! SesshomarukidnappedKagome!!!”
 
Of course to Kaede it was such a mess that all she had heard was the accented words “Kagome…….Sesshomaru………kidnapped!” ; but that was all she needed to hear. She grabbed her bow and arrows and was out of the hut faster than you could say all that stuff that Inuyasha just blurted out. Of course that was just her motherly instincts. Then, just as quickly as she had left, she returned to a gaping Inuyasha. She returned her weapons of mass destruction ((haha sorry, stupid humor.)) to their proper place by the wall.
 
“What the hell was that, Kaede-baba??” Inuyasha barked. ((haha once again my stupid humor. Inuyasha barked…dog demon… yeah.))
 
“First of all I told you to stop calling me hag. It's very disrespectful!! Second, I know you are worried about Kagome's safety but you mustn't lose your mind. You must remain logical. See, if Sesshomaru really captured Kagome…”
 
“Which he did.” Inuyasha interrupted.
 
“…hem. Well as I was saying: if he really did capture Kagome then there is something he wants. Though I hate to say it, he is a smart demon so he wouldn't just kill her without you knowing. He obviously has some use for her. So for now Kagome is safe. We must take this opportunity to formulate a plan. And there are weapons to make and still shards of the jewel to retrieve…”
 
“And you're worried more about that than Kagome's safety?!”
 
“I told you- Kagome Is perfectly safe. If you wish her return then top priorities come first. Please, Inuyasha, I know it hurts. It hurts me too. But we'll just have to bear it.”
 
And enraged Inuyasha stomped out of the room but turned before he slammed the door and spoke.
 
“I don't care what you say! I'm saving Kagome!”
 
A sigh bellowed from Kaede as she went after him.
 
“Inuyasha, I hate to do this, but…”
 
--------
 
Just as Rin had said, Kagome's sweat had stopped after she was well fed and had much to drink. ~H-he let the child feed and take care of me. At least I won't die here. ~ She thought. ~I'm much too weak to escape so I'll have to just go with them. That Inuyasha! He probably isn't even worried! *sniff* I hate him! He's such a jerk! He should have been here by now. *sniff* I… I'll never ever go back to him! Not even if he begs like the dog he is! ~ ((oo harsh)) She noticed she was alone. The Jaken fellow and the little girl… Rin was it? were sleeping about ten trees away to her left. They were out of sight. Sesshomaru had also vanished. The only thing there besides her was the dragon.
 
“Peh! I hate you!” she scoffed. “You are the one who immobilized me!” she was about to kick him when a jolt of pain shot up her leg. That's right! She had been injured.
 
“Oww!! Kyaa!!” she screamed.
 
As if a knight coming to a rescue she heard a rustle in the bushes. Except it wasn't a knight. Far from it too!
 
“Sshmru” she tried at his name but her throat was dry. How embarrassing! Her hands fisted and a bright blush draped over her face. This was awarded with a slight chuckle from Sesshomaru.
 
“Feh. I hate humans really. I don't know why I even bothered with this plan.” He tossed her a water bottle… or as close to it as you could get back in that era. She took hold and drank. When she finally finished she was grateful. Her mouth was moist and she could talk again. Though she hated to say it, she knew he couldn't be that bad since he gave her his water.
 
“Th- thank you, sir.” She managed without a snarl.
 
“Can't have you getting dehydrated again. How weak and frail you humans are.” She was surprised at how talkative he was. She was happy that it wasn't just an awkward silence yet she was frightened that he spoke so cruelly and there was no emotion on his face what-so-ever.
 
“You…spoke of a plan. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH ME?!”
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER 3- Not so Bad After All
 
“WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH ME?!” Sesshomaru looked at Kagome. That look that she feared. “You… you hate me so much. You're going to kill me aren't you?”
 
No, that wasn't it. If he had wanted to kill her he wouldn't have let Rin save her. But then again, he could be waiting until Inuyasha was there. ~No! Don't think of him! He'll never come. Never. ~
 
`A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.'
The words rung in Kagome's head. Where had she heard that before? That's right… that was when she moved here. Some kids had been teasing her and a girl helped her away from them. But then the next day she had been snotty to Kagome not wanting to play with her because the `popular' crew didn't like her.
 
Many things were in her head until she noticed Sesshomaru move a step closer. He looked into her eyes not moving a muscle in his face. She looked back at him first in worry then in wonder. However… somehow she now knew that he wouldn't hurt her. Time cannot always heal your wounds but love forever can. She had learned that from her mother. Is that what was happening to Sesshomaru? How did Rin come to be with him?
 
--------
 
The girl gazed into his eyes as he gazed into hers. His stomach seemed to ache. Whatever the cause, he didn't like the feeling. He felt that it was somehow related to this girl. She looked so innocent. In fact it looked like her eyes were filled with pity. He shook it off and turned around. He took one step and heard the intake of breath. Then she spoke.
 
“Wh…why are we sleeping in the middle of the woods?? I'm…” she hated to say it but it was true. “I'm scared.” She mumbled, blushing a little. “And everyone's so far away too!” she noted.
 
What? The girl couldn't take care of herself? How pathetic. It was just like humans too. That's the upside about being a demon- you could take care of yourself and you didn't have to worry about hunger or dehydration like those petty humans. But… a human had a heart. Humans could love…b…but WHY DID THAT MATTER?!
 
“How pathetic.” He said.
 
“At least give me a weapon, you jerk! It's not like I have talons or anything like you! Geez! You think you're so high and mighty! Well even if that is the case, it's not the same for everyone…”
 
She just wouldn't shut up. She kept rambling on like it was HIS duty to protect her! Who did she think he was, Inuyasha? That surprised him. Inuyasha? He hated that hanyou. Keh. What would he be thinking now that his brother has his woman? He'd never think that she would fall in love. Peh. Like he'd want that.
 
Kagome was on the verge of tears, she was so worried. Sesshomaru turned and knelt down to lay a finger over her lips to quiet her. He could smell her tears. Her lips were soft and a feeling he never thought he'd have came over him.
 
--------
 
Back at the hut, it took all three: Kaede, Sango, and Miroku to hold Inuyasha down. Kaede released only a second to tie Inuyasha to the ground. Miroku held his left arm with a raised eyebrow. Sango just sat there sighing and holding down his right. As Kaede finished, she shook her head in disappointment at all the swear words being thrown about.
 
“Inuyasha. This be for the best. If ye don't settle down ye might hurt a limb.” She placed spell scrolls over each rope so that he couldn't move.
 
After the craziness subsided, Sango and Miroku were sooo out of there. All of this had taken so long that the day had passed and it was only minutes past dinner time…though they hadn't really gotten anything to eat. Together they walked to the bridge that led out of the village and sat by the edge of the creek running past. Minutes that seemed like hours had passed. No one spoke a word. No one moved a muscle. Not moving was particularly hard for one of them- our dear perverted monk. He had to struggle to keep his hand at his side yet Sango didn't seem to notice. Nor did she seem to care.
 
It was a peaceful night. They were taking the chance to be alone for tomorrow they'd begin their plans and weapon making. ~Weapon making? That'd take at least a month to get all of this done! Would Kagome be okay during that time? Kaede had said that Sesshomaru wouldn't kill her, but could they be sure?~ Miroku seemed to notice the worried look on Sango's face for he- as hard as it was for him- lifted his arm UP and put it on Sango's shoulder instead of somewhere else it could have been.
 
“Sango, please believe that Kagome will be alright. You know she's strong, and Kaede's words are very logical. You trust me, correct?”
 
Sango gave him a look that would KILL if looks could do so.
 
*sigh* “I… I suppose…”
 
“[`-.- ] Good. Then trust me also NOW for I promise you that Kagome will get out of this okay. She has a strong soul, a strong will. That power and longing to be with you once more shall return our Kagome home- safe and sound.”
 
--------
 
Kagome was surprised. Sesshomaru was TOUCHING her lips! Though his finger was icy, Kagome could feel a warmth flowing through her. She almost protested when he pulled it away. Again she was baffled by the mysterious Sesshomaru when he turned and sat in front of a tree three feet away from her.
 
Sesshomaru crossed his legs, set his sword across his lap, and shot his gaze elsewhere. Finally unable to stay awake, Kagome closed her eyes. Still, though, she felt an emptiness inside. It was soon filled as she felt a gaze return to her.
 
All went black and Kagome faded into a dream world. Thoughts crossed her mind in pictures but were soon blurred by a person standing in front of her. Its figure proved it to be a man. She could see long hair but couldn't tell its color for his entire person was shaded.
 
She saw the handle of a blade and immediately thought ~Inuyasha? ~ The man stepped forward and she saw that he had a second blade. She squinted to get a better look and saw a thin-feathered boa wrapped around his shoulder.
 
Then through the darkness she found a light shining in the shape of a crescent moon. The light shone bright blue. Next, the stripes appeared- two on either side of his face. They shone a dark maroon ~my favorite color! ~ she thought. But she was most amazed by what came next; his eyes slowly opened, showing a golden island in a pool of white, accented by the sharp shape of the outline. The last thing Kagome saw was his mouth opening to speak, but before he could say a thing she awoke.
 
--------
 
It had been a long night. Sesshomaru had not slept a wink. He sat up staring at the girl sleeping on the tree across from him. Every now and then he'd look up at the moon, but quickly return his gaze to the sleeping maiden. His father had fallen to a human's spell. In fact, his brother had too. What was happening to him? He could feel his… heart…melting? He shook those thoughts out of his head and once again concentrated on the girl next to him. She had awoken and was staring at him, her head tilted slightly down.
 
Then came the awkward- VERY awkward- silence. It did not last long for Jaken and Rin came over, the dragon at their side.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, should we leave now? Morning is coming and we are not ready for Inuyasha. We should return to the Forest of Aku before the battle. Don't you agree, Rin?”
 
Jaken, realizing that he had been giving out an order in the presence of Sesshomaru, backed up and was about to start again with an apology. To his surprise, Sesshomaru didn't get up and stomp on his head like he had in the past; he simply stood, walked over to Kagome- who was busy glaring at Jaken- and took her hand.
 
As Kagome felt something wrapped around her fingers she turned and saw Sesshomaru helping her up. She looked deep into his eyes. Their gazes locked. This would never have been broken had Kagome not noticed the curve in Sesshomaru's lips.
 
--------
 
It was now three and a half weeks since Kagome had been taken. Inuyasha was still tied down, and Sango, Miroku, and Kaede were getting along well with their weapons. They had even gathered a few more shards of the Shikon jewel.
 
The plan had been this: They'd set out in one day to find Sesshomaru and the captured Kagome. Kaede would pierce his (probably drawn) blade with an arrow and while he was distracted, Miroku would put a subduing spell on him. Then Sango would attack. The back up plan was the rash Inuyasha. He was not in the original plan because Kaede feared him to be too wrapped up in saving Kagome to worry about his own well being.
 
“We'd better get some rest when we're through with our weapons.” Kaede spoke. All knew that even though it was still light out that they'd need to be well rested for the big fight tomorrow.
 
--------
 
As they walked along it was getting to be quite dark. They had been at the Forest of Aku for about two weeks now and Sesshomaru had slain many demons. Kagome had feared for the worst. She didn't have a single arrow- would she get hurt…or even worse… killed?
 
From out of nowhere, a giant, wrinkly foot created a booming, and thunderous crash in the clearing they had entered. Startled birds fled the area causing everyone to look up. What Kagome saw was not soon to be forgotten. A great, blue face appeared over the trees, decorated with the ugliest set of eyes imaginable, two cauliflower ears, and an enormous, wart-covered nose.
 
She tried to let out a scream of terror as a wooden, spiked club slammed the ground where she had been standing. She turned around and saw that Sesshomaru had lifted her up by the waist and brought her to safety.
 
“Stay here.” The words had hardly been finished leaving his mouth as he jumped out in front of the ogre. In mid air, he pulled Tokijin out of its sheath and blew the monster to bits with only the sword's amazing pressure.
 
“S-saved…Sesshomaru saved me??” Kagome was still in shock. He had been kind to her in the three and a half- that was it, right? - Weeks they'd been together. He had fed her, taken care of her, he even watched her sleep. It made her feel so warm. Even more than she had been with Inuyasha.
 
“Inuyasha…” a tear formed in her eyes.
 
She then realized it- this was the same feeling she had for Inuyasha. Kagome was falling in love again- but this time it was with Sesshomaru.
 
~Maybe he's not so bad after all~
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER 4- Lost Love
 
Inuyasha-still subdued and being carried on Miroku's back- finally caught Sesshomaru's scent and they were racing for him, weapon's ready. They got there just in time to see Sesshomaru pick someone up right before a monster clobbered them. They also caught him speaking to the figure then racing into the air and destroying the monster with one swing.
 
Kaede was astonished. She stopped- in front of everyone- and put out her arms, signaling with no words that they were not to go any further. They watched silently as shreds of the monster flew every which way and rested their eyes on the person standing in the middle of it all. It was Sesshomaru alright.
 
They looked carefully at him and his blade, but mostly at the blade. Even Sesshomaru was staring at Tokijin as it glowed black. The pulse strengthened and Sesshomaru nearly drew back in surprise. Then his glare settled on his visitors. So much for a surprise attack.
 
Even though they'd been spotted, Kaede decided to go along with the plan. She drew an arrow and was about to release, but she was stopped. Sesshomaru had appeared at her side. He took hold of her bow, and with one fist, snapped it in two.
 
It was Miroku's turn. He pulled out his subduing spells ready to cast them but Sesshomaru tore through them too.
 
Sango, left baffled didn't even bother. She recognized the figure that Sesshomaru had saved. “KAGOME?!”
 
She raced after her friend, intent on rescuing her. However she didn't get far. About five steps in, she ran into Sesshomaru and was knocked back onto the ground. She could tell that he was ANGRY.
 
With everyone down, the subduing spells on Inuyasha weakened and he broke free.
 
“KAGOME!” he was relieved that she was okay and raced to her side.
 
Kagome, on the other hand, had different plans. Tears welled in her eyes and her fists tightened until her knuckles turned white.
 
Inuyasha nearly stopped in mid air.
 
“Inuyasha, you jerk! Sit!”
 
And that's exactly what he did. His necklace glowed for but a second and then he came crashing down. Sesshomaru sat nearby watching the whole charade, quite amused. Rin and Jaken had backed off a while ago and were watching from a safe distance.
 
After a few curses and a struggle to get up, Inuyasha was ready to fight; and fight he did. Sesshomaru sure got it…or so he thought. Tetsusaiga was drawn, and transformed, glowing red. Tokijin was also drawn and glowing black.
 
After about a hundred clashes, Kagome was screaming, Inuyasha was down and covered in cuts and blood, and Sesshomaru was hardly hurt at all. Tokijin was indeed more powerful than ever. Then Kagome noticed Tetsusaiga. It wasn't in its usual place- wrapped in Inuyasha's firm grip. It was stuck through a tree about fifty feet away. ~Oh no…~
 
--------
 
Sesshomaru had knocked Inuyasha's blade from his hand and it was now through a nearby tree. He smirked. He'd won this battle. Now for the kill…but unfortunately for Sesshomaru, Inuyasha wouldn't be dying that day. The scent stained the air. A once putrid and impure blood scent that had encircled Inuyasha but a minute ago had now disappeared completely. It was replaced by the smell of a full demon.
 
Sesshomaru looked back at the tree and realized what had happened.
 
“So, dear brother. You wish to fight me as a full youkai?”
 
Inuyasha sat up. His face was completely different. His eyes glowed red and a blue stripe appeared on either side of his face. His fangs were huge and sharper than ever. The longing for vengeance was so clear that it was nearly written across his face.
 
Sesshomaru noticed Kagome slowly coming toward the battle. ~What could she want? ~ He then realized why she was approaching and re-sheathed his sword- he planned to test her. He turned back to Inuyasha.
 
“Come at me then.”
 
The hanyou- now full youkai- didn't need to be told twice. He took the chance and ran full speed at Sesshomaru, talons flashing. Just then Kagome let out a scream and jumped in front of Sesshomaru.
 
“No! Please, Inuyasha! Stop! Stop it, please!” The tone in her voice made it clear that she wasn't there to save Inuyasha. In fact… she had been there to save…SESSHOMARU?? Immediately Inuyasha stopped. He was so confused. The moment he saw tears in her eyes, he fell to his knees and changed back.
 
“K-Kagome? What are you doing! He tried to kill you!”
 
“No. He tried to kill YOU.”
 
“So you don't even care that he's our enemy?!”
 
“H-he's your brother! How could you hate your own flesh and blood!?”
 
Inuyasha was confused. “What… are you kidding?!”
 
Sesshomaru stepped in. “Heh. I thought you'd do that. Now, do tell us why.”
 
“Uh… I…” she was trapped. They would find out sooner or later. She just wasn't in love with Inuyasha anymore. Why couldn't she tell him? Why?
 
“Fine, we'll guess. You are mad at Inuyasha? You do not wish to travel with him anymore? You… do not want me to die? Tell me if I'm getting close here.”
 
Kagome blushed. He had hit the nail on the head- or so to speak.
 
They could tell Inuyasha was getting mad. He started to growl and as time wore on, so did the growl strengthen. “That's not true. Tell me it's not true, Kagome.” He spoke between his teeth in a stressed voice that was loud enough to frighten Kagome but not loud enough to be a yell.
 
“Inu…Inuyasha…” she spoke so quietly it was almost a whisper. You could hear the sorrow in her voice. “…I'm sorry, Inuyasha.” What did she mean by that!? “I should tell you… I was in love with you, Inuyasha. I truly was. But it's not like that anymore. Feelings change. You've just hurt me too many times and this is it. It just hurts so much I cannot bear to be with you anymore. Sesshomaru was right… about everything.”
 
Tears started pouring down Kagome's face.
 
Sesshomaru seemed happy. His brother was just dying inside. His woman was in love with his half brother and she had disclaimed her love for him too. Just to make it all worse, Sesshomaru reached down to Kagome's face and put his hand under her chin. Those lips that he secretly longed for would be his forever. It was okay to admit that to himself, right?
 
Sesshomaru snickered, lifting the right side of his mouth into a half grin.
 
“You speak as if you are in love.”
 
Then he surprised them all. He lowered his head and laid his lips on Kagome's. For her it was indeed a pleasant surprise. She leaned toward him and kissed him back.
 
Inuyasha, for once in his life, accepted defeat.
 
“You're like her. You're just like Kikyou. Kagome… how could you do this to me??”
 
Those words nearly crushed her… nearly. Sesshomaru knew he had won her heart. And she knew that she was getting a hold on his. She pulled back from his face.
 
“Inuyasha… I'm… so sorry.”
 
 
 
CHAPTER 5- What Happened Next
 
“Inuyasha… I'm… so sorry.”
 
Sesshomaru released her face and turned to leave when a whirling tornado appeared out of nowhere.
 
Kagome raised one hand over her eyes to keep her hair out of her face and lowered the other one in front of her legs so her skirt wouldn't fly up. As the winds died down, a figure appeared. “Oh no... Kouga.”
 
Just as she thought, Kouga was present, and he was standing right between her and Sesshomaru.
 
--------
 
Kouga had leapt into action the moment he sniffed out Kagome's presence. He wasn't worried about her scent as much as the others he'd noticed were there. As soon as he found the clearing in which their scents lead him to, he bounded into the sky and landed between Kagome and her enemy, facing Kagome of course.
 
“Hey, Kagome! How ya been!” even though he was doing his usual sweet-talking, he was quite aware of the raging youki behind him. Kouga grabbed Kagome around her shoulders and under her knees and leapt into the air just as Sesshomaru dug his claw into the dirt where he once was.
 
Other than that, Sesshomaru hadn't tried anything else to get Kagome back.
 
~If he really cares, he'll come… if he really CARES then he'll come, right? ~ Other than a bit of squirming about, Kagome pretty much let Kouga turn around to run away.
 
“Kouga…”
 
Kouga turned around to look at an angry Inuyasha.
 
“Hey, puppy. Didn't see you there cowering in the corner.”
 
Inuyasha's eyes widened. He walked over and stood right in front of Kouga who didn't even think to move until…
 
WAKK~!!
 
Kouga's face was bright red where Inuyasha's knuckles met his cheek. Then Inuyasha turned around and raced back to the village.
 
--------
 
Kagome nearly screamed Kouga's head off when Inuyasha let loose. He had to have been really angry and Kouga just pushed it too far. Kouga was obviously pissed. And he wasn't one to just stand there and take that shit. He raised an arm to beat the hell out of the hanyou. He would have succeeded had Kagome not stopped him.
 
“Kouga! Stop!”
 
Seeing Kagome's worried face, Sesshomaru took one step for Kouga. Even though he was a bit peeved at all the dogs, Kouga could tell that there was danger. And so the wolf demon fled.
 
After the battle ended and the enemies left one by one- a certain someone carrying Kagome- Rin and Jaken finally reappeared.
 
Sesshomaru was faced away from them. He was staring in the direction that Kouga had gone with Kagome.
 
Jaken stepped forward. “Milord, shall we go now?”
 
“No!” cried Rin “That man ran away with Kagome Nee-Chan!” the little girl ran up to Sesshomaru. She had to lean her head as far back as it could go just to see him. “Please, Lord Sesshomaru… please save Kagome Nee-Chan.”
 
Sesshomaru completely ignored her, but thankfully he was thinking the same thing. With one great bound, he had disappeared into the tree tops, rising again every once-in-a-while to take a new leap.
 
“Oh no! Rin, look what you did!” Jaken turned around to yell at Rin. Not finding her he turned around again. Then he spotted her running after everyone. She hadn't even heard him before she left.
 
--------
 
Meanwhile, Sango and Kaede rode on Kirara chasing after Miroku who was right on Inuyasha's tail. ((Please excuse the pun.))
 
“Lady Kaede…Kagome said she wanted… to be with Sesshomaru? Why the hell would she want to be with him! He tried to kill us! He hates us… he'll probably kill her and have the last laugh!” by now, Sango was hysterical. Kirara leaned her head over and nuzzled Sango's arm which then extended to rub her ear.
 
“Please, Sango, dear. Don't trouble yourself. Kagome is capable of handling herself. This was her choice and we must honor it. If she is ever in need of someone who understands, you will have to be ready with open arms. I'm sure you're the first person she'd come to.” Kaede tried to comfort her the best she could.
 
Sango gave Kaede a sad look. “BESIDES her mother you mean.”
 
Just then, Kirara pulled back and landed making her riders fall backwards. Sango, about to start yelling, looked up and saw the reason they had stopped so suddenly. Miroku had also skidded to a stop and was now hiding behind a tree with a finger over his mouth. Sango and Kaede jumped off Kirara's back and joined him.
 
Inuyasha stood in the clearing over the well. Tears ran from his face.
 
--------
 
Back home, in the Higurashi shrine, Souta- Kagome's younger brother- went to check the well for his sister for the third time that day.
 
“Souta! Come in here right now.” Mrs. Higurashi called.
 
“Yes mama! I'll just check one more time…” Souta looked in the well. If he wasn't mistaken, the soil was wet, but still no Kagome. Deciding to ignore it, he ran back to his mother.
 
---------
 
When Kagome could tell they weren't moving anymore, she opened her eyes. They were in the wolf demons' lair.
 
“Everyone out!” Kouga yelled. “There's a dog demon headed here. You're to keep him busy `till I can come and take his head.” He set Kagome down on a bed of straw. “Will you be okay here?”
 
Kagome gave him a slight frown. “Did you say a demon was coming? Who is it?!”
 
That wasn't exactly an answer to his question, but whatever. “It smells like that puppy that you were fighting in Inuyasha's forest.”
 
“Sesshomaru.” Kagome gave a sigh. Then she tensed up on another thought. “Don't kill him! He came to take me back. I'm traveling with him now.”
 
“What about that flea-bitten canine, Inuyasha?”
 
She looked down at the ground. “I broke up with him.”
 
Kouga looked at her with a giant smile on his face.
 
“No, Kouga.” Kagome gave a slight chuckle. “Sesshomaru.”
 
“NOW YOU'RE WITH HIS BROTHER?! What… do I have to become a dog just for you to fall in love with me?!”
 
As they spoke, Sesshomaru ascended the last level on the cliff and landed right in front of the cave.
 
“I'm here for the woman.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 6: A Fight, a Loss, a Break-Down
 
Wolf demons piled onto Sesshomaru from all directions, only to get knocked away with a single fist ((I had to change that- I almost wrote fish. lol `-.-)). Sesshomaru could hardly see anything from all the bodies flying through the air.
 
“Rrr...Sesshomaru!” Kouga called as he leapt into the air He had one leg stretched outward, and was heading straight for his face. He was so sure he was about to hit. Kouga had never met a demon faster than him, but when the hit landed, it was dirt that he touched. Not flesh.
 
The wolf leader turned around and saw Kagome bewildered in Sesshomaru's arms. “Kagome!”
 
Then, with one arm around Kagome (yes, he grew his arm back) Sesshomaru got ready to attack Kouga with his poison claws.
 
~Ugh! These men are impossible! What have I gotten myself into?! ~ Kagome looked desperately around the room for something to catch them off guard. When her eyes met the object of her wishing, she wiggled until Sesshomaru freed her from his grip and went to go kill his enemy.
 
Kagome readied an arrow, and pulled back the string of the bow. It was now aimed directly for Sesshomaru. “Stop!” Everyone turned to her. She then made a 90 degree turn and shot the arrow out from the cave, everyone's gaze following.
 
--------
 
Sesshomaru looked out from the cave as the girl's sacred arrow glimmered in the sun. Soon it was interrupted, though, by something wrapped around his hand and a tugging at his shoulder. He looked down and found Kagome. She had put a case of arrows on her back and the bow was around her shoulder.
 
Not really paying attention to the situation, he followed her out of the cave and down the ramp leading off the mountain. Kouga of course noticed this. “Hey!” he was about to chase after them when he saw who was leading the two- Kagome. “Fine,” he said aloud. “Run away with another little puppy, but, Kagome…” then he strengthened his whisper to a yell. “I still haven't given up on you! You're MY mate!”
 
They descended the mountain at a slow speed- now that they were running. Just then, Kagome had a thought.
 
“Where are Rin and Jaken?” she asked puzzled. It took Sesshomaru a minute to answer.
 
“They were in the clearing in Inuyasha's forest. But now, it seems, they are somewhere on this mountain.”
 
“W-WHAT?!”
 
--------
 
Meanwhile, Rin was skipping up the steep ramp, Jaken panting behind her trying to keep up.
 
“Rin! Slow down!” he had to stop to catch his breath, but up ahead, Rin couldn't hear his voice and kept skipping along.
 
“What, Master Jaken?”
 
“Rin! Rin! Get back here!” he was too late. The little girl was out of sight. ~Oh no! Milord would surely have my head if the little whelp got lost on her own. Ohoho!! The hard life of a servant. ~
 
 
 
--------
 
“HOW COULD YOU LEAVE THEM ALONE?! THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU WENT!”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sesshomaru looked at her, almost saying `well what am I to do about it?'
 
“We have to find them! What if they get lost…or hurt!” with that, she turned and darted down the trail.
 
With a rather large sigh, Sesshomaru tore after her.
 
--------
 
Inuyasha let out a small growl as his crying grew incontrollable. Sango couldn't stand this dismal scene and nearly started crying along with him.
 
A soft breeze blew Inuyasha's snow-white hair across his face. His cheeks were flushed, his heart was broken. He looked up in time to see Miroku crossing the ground between them.
 
Miroku opened his mouth to speak, and to comfort his crestfallen comrade, but nothing came out. What could he possibly say that would cheer Inuyasha up? Nothing, obviously. He had to truly be torn apart to allow someone to see him like this. Deciding to take no action, Miroku sat down in front of the well where Inuyasha had now planted himself.
 
“What do you want?” Inuyasha said in a hateful whine, proving the tears had not yet ceased. This only earned a sorrowful look from Miroku.
 
“…”
 
“…”
 
“Why would she leave? Was it really that bad…what I was doing?”
 
“Hm…perhaps after time and time again of your pestering, Kagome has slowly begun to think you do not love her?”
 
“AND WHAT MAKES HER THINK HE DOES?!”
 
“Inuyasha, I know you are in pain, but please, do not raise your voice.”
 
“Oh, Inuyasha!” Sango just couldn't stand it anymore. She ran up to him and hugged him. “For now, you'll have to forgive and forget. If Kagome, by chance, ever comes back, you'll need to have an open heart. Welcome her, and DON'T BE YOUR STUBBORN SELF! But for now, just calm down. I hate seeing you so crushed!”
 
Inuyasha looked up into her eyes. Tears stained his face. He shook her off and stood up.
“Would she even welcome that? I can't stand to have her leave me again. If she comes back… I don't want to see her. In fact, we're better off if she never comes back at all.” Everyone seemed surprised at this statement.
 
“HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?! YOU NEED HER! YOU KNOW YOU LOVE HER, AND YOU DO WANT HER BACK! WE ALL DO! SHE'LL BE BACK! SHE'LL COME BACK AND SHE'LL NEVER LEAVE AGAIN!!” Now Sango was fired up. She stepped forward, hysterical (that making two), and slapped Inuyasha hard across the face. Hardly satisfied, she grabbed Miroku and turned to head back to the village with Kaede and Kirara.
 
“If you want to sulk in the past, for heaven's sake, be my guest, but I'll be waiting in the village for her safe return.”
 
 
~Why does this keep happening to me?! What in the seven hells is wrong with ME?!~
 
--------
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER 7: To the End
 
Rin proceeded up the mountain humming a song. “Hmhm hmhm…,” she hummed, “Fukai fukai mori no oku ni ima mo kitto…” ((<<Fukai Mori ^.^ beautiful song)) ~Now, ~ she thought to herself. ~where could lord Sesshomaru have gotten to? ~ “Where do YOU think he went, Master Ja-” the little girl looked over her shoulder to find no one there. “M…Master Jaken?! Master Jaken!!”
 
Rin ran frantically, checked around each corner she came to. Unfortunately enough for her, the direction in which she was running was the exact OPPOSITE of where Jaken had gone.
 
--------
 
“AIYAA!!”
 
Kagome screeched to a halt, causing Sesshomaru to nearly run into her. “What was that?! It sounded like a scream! Oh no!” Kagome took off once more, this time running even faster than before. But to her extreme frustration, Kagome was tiring quickly.
 
Sesshomaru was getting annoyed at how slow they were traveling. He looked up at the panting Kagome and knew what he should do. He built up some courage and some speed, and scooped Kagome up in his arms. “You are tired…besides, I can run much faster.”
 
Those were the only words he spoke. In no time they made it halfway down the hill.
 
Kagome could see a figure appearing in the distance. Sadly, it was only one figure, and a tiny, green one at that. Jaken. “Up there… look, it's Jaken!”
 
“Humf,” came the reply. Even though it wasn't very clear, he had nodded his head so Kagome knew that it had been something like a “yes” or a confirmation.
 
--------
 
Back at the village, an anxious Shippo awaited the return of his crew. Finally, four figures appeared over the curvature of the earth. They soon proved to be Sango, Miroku, Lady Kaede, and Kirara.
 
“Where's Kagome?” he chirped attentively. He had been as worried about her and almost as eager to get her back as Inuyasha had when he was bound.
 
Sango's gaze whipped to the ground. “She's not coming back, Shippou… I'm sorry.”
 
“Wh…what are you talking about?! She wouldn't REALLY leave us, would she?” pain danced across his blazing eyes. How could Sango answer him?
 
“I'm afraid so, Shippou,” Miroku butted in.
 
Sango took a few steps toward the hut, stopped, turned and headed for the forest. Miroku, being bothered by this, followed after her. The other's, however, went inside Kaede's hut.
 
--------
 
By this time, Rin was undoubtedly horrified. “F-fukai…fukai mori…no o-oku n-ni… ima m-mo…kitto…” she sang, attempting to calm herself, but to no avail. “Kyaaa!!!” she let out. “LORD SESSHOMARU!!!! KAGOME-KAA-SAN!!!! MASTER JAKEN!!!!”
 
Expeditiously, a clanking was heard, as several rocks fell down from above. ~Lord Sesshomaru! ~ Rin thought. “I am down here, Lord Sesshomaru!” she quickly announced.
 
Unsatisfactorily, it was not Sesshomaru's face that appeared over the mountain face. “Hey, little girl. What are you doing way up here alone on the mountain?” came a woman's voice. She was quite a lovely young woman. Her hair was a bright red with a band tied around it. Rin could see a brown pony tail in the back holing up the woman's beautiful locks. Yet, it didn't seem to be a woman. She had fangs, claws, and… ~O-oh…no!!! ~ …and a tail.
 
“You're a demon! Have you come to make me your meal? Please, I beg of you, leave me be! I promise I'll leave this mountain and never return again!” Rin pleaded.
 
“Haha, you thought I'd EAT you? You're but a child.”
 
The strange demon-woman stood, hovering above the little girl, her hand under her chin and her eyes darting about, as if she was checking over the runt. Then, she leaned over, scooped her up, and started off. “My name's Ayame, I'm going to see my mate-to-be. Would you please join me?”
 
--------
 
Kouga paced about his den. The rest of his crew was outside in the water, washing off their bruises and cuts. “Damn! I shouldn't have let that mutt get away with Kagome so easily…or…let Kagome get away with that mutt…” then again… Kagome HAD saved him from any more attacks. Ha! Like that dog-boy was gonna be able to defeat HIM!
 
Just then, he heard a scream. He rushed to the edge of his cave, peering out into the distance. All was quiet… all was calm. He headed back in. a few minutes later, he was drawn out by another scream, followed by the calling of someone's name. Frustrated at finding absolutely nothing, he went out in front of the water fall and called out to his pack.
 
“I want two of the least wounded men to go find out what that screaming is all about!” he ordered. They looked around at their fellow bathers.
 
Then one spoke up. “W…what…noise…?”
 
Aghast, Kouga fell down `anime style' ((Got that from my friend. Haha. Cute, no?)) “You're kidding! Didn't you guys hear that?! UGH!!” back into the cave he stomped, but he hadn't entered completely before he looked over his shoulder and spoke. “Never mind! Just keep on guard. Don't let ANYONE come in, and don't ANYONE go out!” he returned his face in front of him and walked in the cave. ~Arg… those idiots. ~
 
--------
 
“Oh, Lord Sesshomaru!!” Jaken cried out. “Lord Sesshomaru, please forgive me but… I uh… it seems that I have uh… lost Rin. Oh, please don't hurt me!”
 
Before Sesshomaru even had a CHANCE to take action, Kagome hopped down from his arms. “Jaken! Where did you last see her?! When did you lose her?! I heard someone screaming… oh my gosh, we HAVE to find her!!”
 
Kagome was now on the verge of tears. Oh the poor little child! She was alone, probably so frightened, and she may have been hurt…OR TAKEN!!! Just then, out of the corner of her eye, Kagome caught a glimpse of Sesshomaru, nose held high in the air. Quickly, she sped around and ran to him. “Sesshomaru…? C-can you catch her scent?” her voice was quiet, but wavered with anticipation.
 
“Yes…but…”
 
“WHAT?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY `BUT'??”
 
He looked at her, saying- with his body language- `well, if you'd let me finish…'
 
“There are other scents on her. A demon's…and…tears.”
 
Silence.
 
“Let's go…we have to find her as soon as possible! Oh, the poor, poor thing!”
 
--------
 
“He he! You're such a nice wolf, Ayame-San! Thank you for giving me a piggy-back ride!”
 
“Oh, you're a sweet little girl! *sniff* we're here.” They were closing in on a gigantic waterfall. As they grew nearer, they could see wounded wolf demons in the collected pool below. While they were focused on that, someone had come up in front.
 
“Ho there! No one gets in!”
 
“Huh? Ginta!”
 
“Ayame?! Wow! Didn't expect THAT!”
 
“Whatcha up to? Let me in.”
 
“Sorry, but Kouga told us not to let ANYONE enter, and that includes y-”
 
*WHAM!!*
 
“Ha ha, you're so nice, Ginta, I KNEW you'd let me through.”
 
“Ow…”
 
The water of the falls parted, as someone passed through.
 
“What the hell's going on out here?!”
 
“K-Kouga! Oh Kouga! Is it really YOU?!”
 
“A-Ayame…why…”
 
“I've come to visit you, Kouga, dear! Here, I brought you a present. I promised not to eat her, so it can be a pet, okay?”
 
“Wh-what?!” Rin was astonished and began to cry as she was handed to the wolf leader.
 
“And what do you propose I do with a pet? How boring.”
 
“Oh, but Kouga! I brought you these flowers too.” She whipped some white flowers out from her belt.
 
“Feh! Ayame, I don't want flowers… I don't want a pet… and I DON'T want you as a bride! Kagome is my mate.”
 
“She doesn't love you.”
 
*BUG EYES*
 
“B-but… she's beautiful… and she… can see Shikon shards… and…well…”
 
“She doesn't love you!”
 
“But!!”
 
“BUT…she DOESN'T love you! And I do! Kouga, you promised to marry me so very long ago! How could you forget that?! Kagome, you just decide to fall in love with because she's a freakin' miko who sees jewels and she has a bit o' a pretty face! But she DOESN'T LOVE YOU! I thought you'd understand!” tears rolled down her cheeks.
 
“Ayame…! I… I didn't mean it… I uh…gimme that!” he snatched Rin from her hands. “These too, I'll keep them until they die I suppose.” Then he grabbed the flowers.
 
Ayame rubbed the tears from her eyes. “Guilt…still isn't love. It's a long stretch from it. But… … …if it means you'll start to accept my presents and my presence, then I'll take it! I'm going to go wash off now, I've been traveling for a long while.” With that, Ayame turned and took off.
 
“Rrrrrr… leaving me with this whelp. Wait…what's that smell…Kagome?!”
 
“Kagome-Kaa-San…? Is Kaa-San really here?! WAAAAHHH!!! Kagome-San!!! Help!!”
 
“Huh…? Wait… it's YOU who smells of Kagome…YOU KNOW HER?! Kaa-San… elder sister? You're Kagome's sister? You look nothing alike…”
 
“Kagome-San takes care of me. She and Lord Sesshomaru are going to be very angry when they get here! Ooohhh!”
 
“KAGOME AND THAT MUTT?! YOU'RE STAYING WITH THEM?!”
 
“LORD SESSHOMARU IS NOT A MUTT!! And why would YOU care that I'm staying with them?!”
 
Kouga did not answer, for he was no longer listening. “So… Kagome's comin' here, is she? Heh heh heh…and I'll get the chance to beat the hell outta that damn puppy she carries around.”
 
“I TOLD YOU, HE'S NOT A-” Kouga gave her a strong glare, ending her complaining.
 
--------
 
Sango stomped on through the forest, Miroku following closely. “Lady Sango…” he wished to soothe her pain, but he had no idea how to do that.
 
“She couldn't have possibly wanted to go with that…that…murderer! He's so savage and wild and stupid and mean!”
 
“Do remember that Inuyasha was the same way when they met. He had, as they told me, tried to kill Lady Kagome.”
 
“But…I don't know why Kagome just had to leave like that. I mean… Inuyasha can be an ass at times, but it's nothing they haven't made up over before.”
 
“Yes… I am sure Kagome just feels so rejected by his. He keeps disclaiming his love for her, and on top of that, he's always so rough and rude with her.”
 
“And not to mention, he keeps going back to Kikyou.”
 
*long pause*
 
“So… what do you propose we do about this, Lady Sango?”
 
“We'll tell Inuyasha what he's doing wrong. If he really loves Kagome and wants her back… he's going to have to tell her that. And he will have to leave Kikyou, and learn to be more respectful.”
 
--------
 
Unknown to our dear monk and taijiya, they had gone in a direction not too far away from the old well. And that had been where they last left a certain hanyou- the topic of their conversation.
 
Hearing voices, Inuyasha had decided to come check it out. As he peered around the trees, he heard words that made his heart skip a beat, yet it had not surprised him. The two talking were Miroku and Sango.
 
“…feels so rejected by his. He keeps disclaiming his love for her, and on top of that, he's always so rough and rude with her.”
 
“And not to mention, he keeps going back to Kikyou.”
 
They had been talking about him. ~Is this really how bad Kagome feels…with the way I treat her and all…? ~
 
“So… what do you propose we do about this, Lady Sango?”
 
“We'll tell Inuyasha what he's doing wrong. If he really loves Kagome and wants her back… he's going to have to tell her that. And he will have to leave Kikyou, and learn to be more respectful.”
 
~Wh-what?! Leave Kikyou to get Kagome back? I…well… they're right I guess. I'll have to decide who I want… who I NEED more. Kagome…or Kikyou? With Kikyou, I can be me, except for the fact that she wants me to become human. With Kagome… I'll have to respect her more. I'll have to change…though it's not really a change. I never mean to be so horrible to her. Things just sort of come out to hide my feelings for her… if I were to confess my love and… WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!! Where'd THAT come from?! Who says I LOVE her… I mean… well… I don't really. No, of course I don't love Kagome. No, I don't. But… on second thought… that was what drove her away. Why else would I be so mad? Either way, I still need her. Well, as a SHARD DETECTOR. There's no other reason, right? Yet, there's no way of escaping that fact. I really do need her. ~
 
He'd dealt with losing Kikyou before, but never Kagome. “Kagome…” He just couldn't lose her. Even if it'd kill him, he'd fight for her to the end.
 
--------
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 8:
 
Sesshomaru- with Kagome now on his back- practically flew up the mountain. Since Jaken couldn't keep up, they had decided to meet him in the clearing they were at before.
 
“We're headed up again… toward the wolf demon cave. Try to stay clear of it if you can.”
 
“That is not possible.”
 
“Huh? Why not?”
 
“That is where Rin's scent is coming from.”
 
“Oh, brother.”
 
Soon, they came upon a spring where a young woman could be seen washing herself. “Uh… Sesshomaru, don't look, I'll be right back.”
 
He gave her a `feh' and turned around, letting her off his back. Making loud steps so she wouldn't startle the woman, Kagome walked toward the spring. “Excuse me, ma'am…”
 
The woman's head zipped around. “You…! You're the woman Kouga wants!”
 
“Oh my god… Ayame?! I told you, I'm NOT his mate!”
 
Ayame looked around behind Kagome. “That man…who is he? Where are your companions?”
 
“That is Sesshomaru, the brother of Inuyasha…who is NOT my companion.”
 
“Either way, I cannot let you go back to Kouga! I'll finish you off here!” she got out of the water and put on her skirt, top, and armor.
 
“Wh-what?! No, please, we've only come to retrieve a little girl that got lost! Her name is Rin...”
 
“That girl? I gave her to Kouga as a pet.”
 
“…” Kagome raised an eyebrow. “Could YOU have been the demon that Sesshomaru said had Rin? Well she better be okay! Please, can you get her back? I'd rather not have to fight off Kouga again.”
 
Now that Ayame had her clothes on, Sesshomaru walked over. “I will kill that vermin.” Inuyasha gave Ayame an icy glare, looked to Kagome, then looked away. “You are not his.”
 
Kagome looked astonished. “And WHO do you think I DO belong to?” she said, a bit annoyed.
 
“Me.”
 
Sesshomaru walked off toward the cave where he had fought Kouga earlier that day.
 
A dumbfounded Kagome dropped to her knees. “Y-you…?” she spoke in a whisper.
 
“Rrrr…GET BACK HERE, YOU BASTARD!! DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH HIM!!”
 
--------
 
“It's them… I can smell him very close by. Sesshomaru, you will DIE for stealing my woman!”
 
“And exactly who would that be?”
 
Rin jumped up from her spot, cowering in the corner. “Lord Sesshomaru! You've come for me!”
 
Just then he disappeared. At least from where she was standing… he was actually moving so fast, he could hardly be seen. Then Kouga vanished the same.
 
Kouga went after Sesshomaru in a flying kick as soon as he moved to come after him. The kick was easily dodged and Sesshomaru swiped at Kouga with his poison claws. Kouga just barely got away in time, but as he was running backwards he stumbled. A very BAD mistake. In no time, Sesshomaru's hand was through Kouga's belly.
 
“KOUGA!!” screeched Ayame. Both she and Kagome had now arrived at the cave entrance. “OH, GOD!! KOUGA!!” she ran toward her beloved. “Get away from him, you BEAST!!”
 
“Oh no! Is Kouga alright?” Kagome, being the nice person she was, was also very worried about the poor wolf demon.
 
Before she could get to him, Sesshomaru stood, grabbed her around the shoulders, and started walking out.
 
“But…you can't just LEAVE him there!”
 
“I do not care about that pest.”
 
Kagome frowned. “Then what about Rin?”
 
Sesshomaru stopped in his tracks. Had he really forgotten about Rin? Why was he so obsessed with killing Kouga? ~Well he DID get mad about the whole thing with Kouga wanting me as his mate. Could it really be that he forgot about Rin and had come here to beat him up for ME? Oh wow. ~
 
Seeing the fighting was done, Rin came out of her corner. “Lord Sesshomaru! Kagome-Kaa-San!”
 
Kagome held her arms out for the incoming Rin. When she reached Kagome, they held each other for quite a while, Rin crying about how scared she was.
 
“We will leave now, girl.”
 
Kagome decided he was talking about her. “I have a name, and `girl' isn't a part of it. Please, call me Kagome- Ka-go-me.”
 
Sesshomaru gave her one of his `kinder' glares ((if that's possible…)) and tried again. “We will leave now…Kagome.”
 
Hearing him speak her name, Kagome smiled, picked up Rin and ran after him.
 
~THAT made her happy? Being called by her name is so important to her? ~
 
“Stop! You bastard! I'll kill you!”
 
“Ka-gome…! You… are still mine!” He winced in pain.
 
How could Kagome leave THAT?! “Kouga…please, Ayame, heal his wounds. And forgive us, but we must leave now. Kouga, goodbye for now.”
 
--------
 
“That is it, Sango. That is exactly what we will do.” were their last words before they parted. Inuyasha sat by the well until darkness fell across the land. Sleepy, he closed his eyes and dreamt about Kagome.
 
--------
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I'm dedicating this chapter to Wolfy. She was VERY helpful in coming up with this chapter. Thanks, Wolfy!
 
Chapter _: