InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Lesser Hanyou ❯ Chapter 2 - Going in Circles ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Last Chapter Summary: So, a new hanyou in town. And it seems like she's met both inu brothers already! Not only that... she is a lesser hanyou, unable to speak and only able to understand a bit of the speaking language... what happens when she touches a Shikon shard and is able to understand the language perfectly?
 
[t.h.e.l.e.s.s.e.r.h.a.n.y.o.u]
 
The Lesser Hanyou © SilverDragon
Naruto © Takahashi Rumiko
 
2 - “Going in Circles”
 
I backed up from a very ticked off half-demon, and the next few seconds that passed seemed to last forever.
 
"Inuyash-" the girl started. I whined in response, eyes wide, before bolting away and dashing straight for the tree line.
 
"What wench? You—she's getting away! Now look what you've done! Hey! Get back here and let me tear you apart so that you'll answer—!" I heard pounding feet behind me, before it stopped. Not bothering to pause, because I knew from the last experience what happens when I do that... (He ends up bounding over my head and landing right in front of me) I only sped up, pumping my legs as fast as I could and leaping from one place to another.
 
"Hanyou!"
 
For some reason, I froze at the name, glancing back meekly. There, was one fuming Inuyasha, glaring at me with his hand rested at a hilt of what seemed to be a sheathed sword.
 
"And where do you think you're going?" he asked lowly, dangerously. I heard a flicker of clothing and I turned to look at my escape route - only to find it blocked by the slayer and the monk.
 
I whined, admitting defeat and falling onto the ground; lowering my head, flattening my ears, and drooping my tail.
 
"That's better."
 
My ears pricked up the moment I didn't sense anymore danger, and I heard shuffling and hushed whispers.
 
"Inuyasha! You didn't have to do that! Look at her, she looks so scared now!!"
 
"Pfft! What do you know wench?! She tried to take a jewel shard!!" a voice retorted. My eyes continued to remain stubbornly locked onto the dark grass and dirt.
 
"She was curious! Any low demon could tell that-"
 
"Are you implying that I'm lower than a 'low demon'?" a voice growled dangerously. Finally, I had the courage to look up and as soon as I did, my eyes widened and I ended up backing up a few steps from the couple. Were they mates? They sure argued like mates.
 
I saw a neko demon beside me - a small one - who was eyeing me cautiously.
 
Letting out a small whine and catching her eye, I briefly let out a series of whines and barks.
 
"Uh… Inuya—"
 
"Just who do you - Shut up Miroku, I'm trying to deal with something here - think you are? And you know what, Kagome? I think that—"
 
"Inuyasha..." a more persistent voice wheedled. Finally, the quarrels stopped and Inuyasha managed to glare at Miroku.
 
"What?!"
 
Wordlessly, the monk pointed towards the pair of demons - mainly, the Neko-san and myself. I noticed their scrutinizing but ignored them. They shouldn't be able to understand us anyway.
 
Pausing briefly, I heard the neko demon answer softly in a small whine. What had I just asked her?
 
Here's a bit of the conversation we were having...
 
'Are those two mates?' I asked curiously, tail flicking.
 
'Iie,' the neko answered, 'They're just friends... who argue a lot,' she added sarcastically.
 
'Aa..'
 
'You're a lesser demon, right?'
 
I hesitated, before nodding, giving a soft whine.
 
'How come you don't seem like one?'
 
'My father was a human. I lived with him until he had died of old age,' I said quietly, 'And right after his death - moments after he had just taken his last breath, villagers entered my hut and chased me out. So I understand a bit of their language. I had been living with them for a while now...'
 
Father...
 
'I'm sorry... that would explain why you-'
 
Both the neko and I froze, feeling gazes upon us grew more heated. Hesitantly, I turned my head slowly to find that the entire group was now staring at me. They had been staring before, but it had only just started to bug me. And it was partly due to the fact that Inuyasha was now staring at me with an unreadable look. I paled. Did he… could he understand what had just transpired?
 
"Kirara?" the demon slayer asked in alarm. The neko mewed, before reaching one of her hind legs up to scratch her ear casually. She gave away no notion of what had just occurred.
 
Inuyasha glared at me, pointing a finger at me, "What did you do to the cat?" Said cat growled at being called only just a 'cat.' I felt myself sigh inwardly with relief. Maybe he hadn't understood after all.
 
Staring back at him innocently, I didn't move, giving no notion of understanding what he had just said.
 
"Don't just sit there mut-" he cut himself off, reconsidering his words, "...err... don't just sit there! I know you can understand me!" I settled back onto the soft grass beneath me.
 
"Ne... let's get this situation straight..." Kagome started, "...Can you understand us?"
 
I nodded once.
 
"But you can't talk,"
 
Another nod.
 
“Can't or won't?” Inuyasha quipped sarcastically. Kagome glared at him, “Osuwari!” Boom! Another Inuyasha sized hole in the dirt.
 
“Gah! What'd you do that for?!”
 
"Interesting...." the monk mused, "Something happened when you touched the shikon jewel shard, enabling you to understand our language better - or rather, perfectly."
 
"Mfff," Inuyasha miffed, "She was trying to take the shard," His ears flicked and proceeded to do a roundabout motion. He was sitting down, casually rubbing his face clean of dirt as if it happened all the time - which it probably did.
 
"Inuyasha..." the girl named Kagome's eye twitched. Skeptically, I backed up, sensing a massive annoyed aura streaming from the girl. As if on cue, I saw Inuyasha's ears flatten against his head and he gave Kagome a wary look, before backing up as well.
 
"Osuwari!"
 
BOOM!
 
"Gahhh!"
 
Taking the chance, I decided that fleeing would be a better idea, and I proceeded to do so, taking slow and careful steps. The three humans had their attention focused on the unmoving half-demon on the ground. The kitsune was too busy staring off into the forest, and the only one who had their attention on me was the neko demon.
 
But... it didn't seem to want try and stop me anyway. Giving it a small yip of thanks, I scurried off and dived into the bushes I was headed for earlier.
 
I crawled quite a distance, ignoring the dirt now staining my hands and the leaves/branches that scratched at me. A few minutes later, I no long heard or smelt the group.
 
I stood up, grinning. Free at last!!
 
Suddenly I let out a howl of pain, and impulsively drew my leg up, glaring down at a... kitsune.
 
I let out a growl, "Grrrr…!" I snapped at him. The tiny demon let go and started to yell at me.
 
"Where are you going? Inuyasha is going to kill you when he finds you, you know..." And then... almost as if he was talking to himself, he continued, "I certainly know how that feels..." His jade eyes watched me carefully and I stared defiantly back. Wasn't this the sight? A kitsune and a lower dog half-demon having a stare down. Well, I was doing the stare down, he was just... there.
 
"Well? Are you coming back with me or—"
 
Without another word, I simply turned away and continued to walk - I had to find a place to rest for the night anyhow. Unless, of course, I wished to sleep on the cold, hard ground. Not to mention the fact that it was unsafe.
 
"Grr!" A few seconds later, I found myself staring at a strange, huge, pink bubble. It would've been menacing, and I would've felt threatened... if not for the ridiculously misplaced puppy eyes and face on its side. Letting out a disinterested yowl, I swiped at it, nicking it accidentally with my claw.
 
Pop-!
 
- And a kitsune jumped out from the dissipating smoke.
 
"Why does every dog demon I meet do that?! First Inuyasha, then his damn brother and now you!" he complained, his small paws crossed over his chest, fanged mouth pulled over into a small pout. Giving him a pat on the head, I turned around and continued to push my way through the foliage.
Now... a place to sleep...
 
My ears pricked up, "Shippou! Are you all right?"
 
"... Mumble, mumble..."
 
I let off a small smirk. The small kitsune was probably still pouting. I picked up my pace - I had to put as much distance between myself and that group as possible. There was no doubt that they would try and come after me... Especially that Inuyasha character...
 
And what was this about the 'jewel shards?' I had heard of the pink rocklike things before... but I've never actually seen one. Perhaps that was why I was so enraptured in the soft pink hue that surrounded the glass bottle the girl's bag contained. I knew that the jewel made demons more powerful - not that I've ever met a demon with a jewel shard. I tend to steer clear of those. I'm barely a match for a regular demon - much less a more powerful one with a jewel shard!
 
As I moved forwards, I hesitantly glanced backwards. I couldn't really find a place to sleep now... it was getting rather dark. When I had been running from the villagers, it had already been dusk - the sun was just starting to set. Now the sun was gone and crickets chirped. A dark veil had enclosed itself over the usually bright blue sky.
 
I never liked the dark. It reminded me of... horrible... times. It was dark the day my father had died...
 
[t.h.e.l.e.s.s.e.r.h.a.n.y.o.u]
 
I whimpered, nuzzling my father's cheek as he lay on his bed. We were in our small cottage - not very fancy, but it kept out the wind and cold. A small fire crackled a few meters away and I carefully poured a cup of water, holding it out towards my father.
 
"... Arigatou... my little inu-chan...(cough, cough) I'm won't... here... longer..." I whimpered. I couldn't understand what he was saying... but from his tone, it couldn't be anything good
 
Thunder rumbled outside and I instinctively jumped, curling up into a ball beside the futon.
 
I heard my father struggle to sit up and a few seconds later, two arms encircled me, "Shh... all right.... nothing... of..."
 
I sighed softly, snuggling into my father's warmth, feeling safe - even if for only a moment. I whined, wanting to be scratched, but received no answer.
 
"... inu-chan... good..."
 
I glanced up, seeing my father close his eyes slowly. My eyes widened. Was father going to sleep? Because if he was... the futon would be a much better place. I whined again, nudging him gently. He didn't move. Feeling confused, I nudged him again. Father didn't usually ignore me for this long... not since mother had died...
 
Giving off a soft snort, I shook him, and then shook him again when he didn't respond. Father?
 
"... whine..." I whimpered and carefully lifted a hand to his chest, waiting for the familiar fall and rise of respiration. There was none. The hut was beginning to smell of death.
 
My eyes wide, I felt a choked cry escape my throat and soon my sobs filled the lonesome room.
 
Hours later...
 
Eyes fearful, I bolted down the main village path, rain pouring down and soaking me from head to toe. Villagers were chasing after me - only hours after learning of my father's death.

They were going to kill me... I knew it...
 
My father had been the one who had been protecting me all along. He was good friends with the village master - and thus, this worked well for my protection. But now that he was not of this world any longer...
 
... My life was in danger.
 
Thunder rumbled again, and a bolt of lightning flashed across the sky.
 
I cringed, diving towards my left and into a volley of bushes and trees. I was afraid for my life.
 
[t.h.e.l.e.s.s.e.r.h.a.n.y.o.u]
 
A rustle to my left sent me burrowing into a bush to my right. I had long ago learned that noises that were one of two things. Either it was something that was going to attack me…
 
…Or it was something akin to food.
 
Most of the time it was something that was going to attack me, so I usually hid.
 
A low growl only frightened me more, and I curled up into a ball, praying that it couldn't smell or hear me. In fact, let's have rain. Rain washes away scents. That was a good thing for me.
 
A few seconds later, thunder rumbled and I was instantly reminded of my father's death. Whimpering and shivering as the wind started to battle harshly against my rags of clothing, I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to desperately make myself disappear.
 
Whatever it was... I couldn't smell it. The wind was blowing its smell away from me-and most likely blowing my smell towards it.
 
I could hear it though. Soft padding footsteps and the occasional sniffing. Whatever it was... it wasn't human. I even wished that it was human. At least then, I could maybe deal with whatever it was.
 
Hearing the bush I was in rustle with movement, shivers continued to violently wrack my body, and I heard an odd hush of silence.
 
"Oi..." At the familiar voice, my eyes slowly opened and I found myself staring into amber eyes. The eyes held annoyance, and to my utter amazement, concern... Impossible...
 
It was Inuyasha. Questions bombarded my mind.
 
Was he here to hurt me?
 
Was he here to kill me?
Was he here to talk to me?
Was he here to.... the questions were endless and possibilities were even more endless.
 
A hand touched my arm and I let out a frightened yelp, before it quieted to a small whimper.
 
I heard an annoyed growl, which only fed to my fear, "Why did that wench have to put me up to this…?"
 
I felt arms encircle me and soon I felt myself lifted up into the air. Through bleary eyes, I peered up at the dog demon, feeling unsure of his intentions. He took a few steps and glanced down at me, all emotion void on his face, "What?"
 
Not answering, and feeling my fear begin to ebb away, I let out a big sigh, and didn't bother trying to get out of his grip. I was really sleepy...
 
I closed my eyes and he adjusted his grip, before starting off into a run, "... you had to run so damn far..." I let out a soft sleepy yip in reply, and let out a shake when thunder rumbled again.
 
Feeling all the drowsiness seep away, fear began to fill me again—not of Inuyasha this time, but of the darkness that surrounded me.
 
Feeling Inuyasha slow to a walk, I curled up closer to him, seeking warmth and protection… like my father had given me... so long ago. At my action, I felt him stiffen and I withdrew slightly, feeling his discomfort. I really don't know what made me do that... perhaps it was because... somehow, I felt safe in his arms.
 
"Inuyasha? You found her!" a relieved voice drifted in from my right and I turned my head, only to find the girl called Kagome standing there with the monk, demon slayer and the kitsune behind her. We were back in the clearing again. A fire crackled merrily behind them and I heard Inuyasha grunt, "We have to find shelter, it's going to rain soon," he grumbled.
 
He glanced down at me, "Ya gonna walk or what?" Hearing his irritated tone, I gave a meek nod and he lowered me - rather gently, if you ask me - to the ground. Regaining my footing, I stood awkwardly beside Inuyasha and felt myself shift behind him slightly. “Oi Miroku, put out the fire. We need to get moving.” I saw the monk straighten and crack the side of his neck.
 
I didn't feel comfortable around the other... humans quite yet...
 
I didn't know if they would want to hurt me...
 
…Even if one had tended my wounds.
 
"... Very well, we should find shelter then." Miroku ended the silence and motioned with his staff, "We might find a village beyond that hill."
 
A few minutes later, I found myself scampering after the group, keeping close to Inuyasha and avoiding the others. And I could tell that Inuyasha was getting rather annoyed by it too. He snarled at me and I backed off a few meters, before following at a distance. I could hear the amused chuckle of the monk, which only made me feel even more nervous.
 
I glanced up, and I found out that we were nearing a village. It was that village... the village that had been attacking me earlier...
 
I was very hesitant in going any further. Glancing at the people I was walking with sideways, I felt like trying to run away again... but two facts stopped me.
 
One, I could sense a storm approaching fast and it was also night—it was going to be hard if I wanted to find some shelter now. If I had more time… that was a different story.
 
And two, Inuyasha didn't seem to be in a very good mood... so if he caught me...
 
But... what if he didn't catch me?
 
That thought alone spurred me into trying to escape again and I edged towards the left ever so slowly-
 
In a flash, a hand clamped down onto my wrist and anger amber eyes were blazing into my own dark ones. I winced, cringing under his gaze, my ears flattening in fear.
 
His gaze faltered slightly and he barred his teeth at me, "Where do you think you're going?"
 
My tail drooped pathetically, all energy and vitality gone from my body. My eyes were downcast and suddenly I heard a yell. Everyone's attention riveted towards the village and I paled when I saw the villagers I had seen earlier.
 
And... They knew that it was I that stood there before them.
 
I was back in the one place that I was trying to get out of in the first place.
 
Ironic, isn't it?
 
To be continued...
 
[t.h.e.l.e.s.s.e.r.h.a.n.y.o.u]
 
Glossary:
 
Iie - No
Aa - Oh
Kitsune - Fox
Osuwari - Sit
Inuhanyou - Dog Half-demon
Arigatou - Thank you
Inu - Dog
 
Revised September 2, 2008