InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Magic ❯ The Magic ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer - I don't have Takahashi's complexity to weave a saga like hers. Besides, I know close to nothing about the feudal era.
 
The Magic
 
My room is my refuge.
 
It is where I sleep. Where I study. A place that I'll trash, then clean up. I've shouted at my little brother in here. I stroke my cat in here (cat hair is a problem. Inuyasha doesn't seem to mind, though). I look at myself in my mirror. I try on and put away clothes after a shopping spree with my school friends.
 
My bed is not the traditional futon. It is a big, western-style mattress, beautiful and warm. When I climb in, I sink into its softness. On a cold winter night, the electric blanket is my haven. Summer nights, and I will sleep with no blanket over me, my hair tied up in a messy bun.
 
There are marks of a double life in my refuge, which are hard to find if you don't know where to look. There are small gashes in the wood of my window frame. I have a Hello Kitty alarm clock now. There is a photo album on my desk, with pictures from Sengoku Jidai. A tiny bottle of crystal shards. Even (and I allowed myself a little giggle at this) the foot and hand marks that have dug into the floor beside my bed. I don't remember actually subduing him in my house, but the mark is there. Every time I look at it I feel a fondness welling up inside of me.
 
Tonight is a summer night. I know I should be studying, but I think my memory recall has become elastic from having little time to learn everything. My grades have been picking up for the first time since I discovered the world beyond the well.
 
I'm not trying to sleep. I am sitting on my bed, my legs over the side. It is dark, but the moonlight shines gently through the window, giving my room an unearthly glow. The window itself is open, and a small breeze continually reaches me with its feather touches, cooling my heated skin. I feel… content.
 
I feel the night, and I know that this night, tonight, is mine. I can feel my arms tingling with an unknown energy. I can feel the magic. It emerges from every corner of the room. It enters with the wind. Here I can feel the spirits of my friends. Here I can sit, and love them all. Here I can sit, and try to understand the ones I am not so close to, youkai, humans alike. Inuyasha's half-brother, Sesshoumaru. Jaken. Kagura. Kanna. Kikyou. Naraku. Naraku is the hardest one to understand. But this night is mine.
 
A shadow has appeared at the window, spilling onto the floor. I look at the one that has caused it. I see two golden eyes, and a little red behind them, reflecting the light available. Dog ears twitch at the top of his head. His silvery hair is being blown into the room. I look straight at him. He looks back. All is silent.
 
I know he can feel the magic, too, in the room. Because it belongs to him too. This night. It is ours, and only ours. His memories and mine blend together in this room. It warms us and fills us. It is like the cup filled with wine, overflowing in its splendor.
 
It makes me smile. He also smiles. Because he can feel it too.
 
By Virga (Out of Time).