InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Miko Bride ❯ The Miko Bride-Sportsmanlike ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

(When Kikyo sees the Man in Red coming up the trail, she, of course, finds it…)

Kikyo: INCONCEIVABLE!

(She whirls on Rouyakan.)

Kikyo: Give her to me. Catch up with us quickly.

Rouyakan: What do I do?

Kikyo: Kill him. Your way.

Rouyakan: My way? Good. Thank you Kikyo. By the way, what's my way?

Kikyo: Grab one of these big rocks here, and hide behind this boulder here. In a few minutes the Man in Red will come round the bend. As soon as his head is in view…SMASH IT WITH THE ROCK!

(Kikyo runs off with Kagome. Rouyakan picks up a rock and studies it.)

Rouyakan: My way is not very sportsman-like.

(He hides behind the boulder. The Man in Red comes to a halt in front of the bend and listens. Satisfied by the silence, he starts forward again. A rock smashes into a boulder an inch in front of him. Rouyakan steps out of hiding, picking up another rock.)

Rouyakan: I didn't have to miss, you know. I did that on purpose.

Man in Red: I don't doubt it. So what happens now?

Rouyakan: We face each other like God intended-sportsman-like. No weapons, no tricks. Skill against skill alone.

Man in Red: So you put down the rock, and I put down my sword, and we kill each other like civilized people?

Rouyakan: I could kill you now.

Man in Red: No thanks. However, I think the odds are slightly in your favor for hand fighting.

(He sets down his sword. Rouyakan drops the rock unceremoniously and shrugs.)

Rouyakan: I can't help it if I'm the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise.

(The two square off. The Man in Red inhales deeply and charges forward. He grapples, punches, twists the giants arm, and wraps him in a skillful bear hug. Rouyakan stands throughout it all, taking in the scenery. The Man in Red releases him from the bear hug and looks up at him.)

Man in Red: Look, are you just fiddling around with me, or what?

Rouyakan: I just want you to feel you're doing well. I'd hate for you to die embarrassed.

(They square off again. This time, Rouyakan charges, but the Man in Red dodges between his legs.)

Rouyakan: You're quick!

Man in Red: Good thing too.

Rouyakan: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid or something like that?

Man in Red: No, they're just terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

(Rouyakan pauses to consider this, then charges forward again. The Man in Red slips through his legs again, and leaps onto his back, riding him like a bucking bronco, arms locked around his windpipe.)

Rouyakan: I just figured out why you gave me so much trouble.

Man in Red: And why is that?

(Rouyakan charges at a boulder, spinning at the last moment so he crushes the Man in Red against it. Somehow, the Man in Red holds on to his windpipe. Rouyakan speaks, his voice strained.)

Rouyakan: Well, it's been so long since I've fought just one person. I've been specializing in groups, fighting gangs for local charities and such.

(He slams the Man in Red into another boulder, but the charge isn't half as effective.)

Man in Red: And why would that make such a difference?

Rouyakan: (His breathing is heavy and labored.) Well, you use different moves and holds when you're fighting half a dozen…

(Again, he slams the Man in Red into a boulder, but there's little strength left in him. He collapses to his knees.)

Rouyakan: (His voice is getting very weak.) Then when you only…have to…worry…about…one.

(His eyes close, and he falls. The Man in Red gets off his back, and checks the wolf demon's pulse.)

Man in Red: I don't envy the headache you'll have when you wake up. But for now, rest well, and dream of large women.

(He picks up his sword and continues down the trail. Cut to Prince Naraku. He slips his boot into a footprint in the sand. He is at the site of the battle between Sesshomaru and the Man in Red, and is tracing the course of the battle. Count Hiten and a dozen armed samurai on horseback look on.)

Naraku: There was a mighty duel. It ranged all over. Both were masters. The loser ran off alone, and the winner followed these footprints to Guilder.

Hiten: Shall we track them both?

Naraku: No. Only the princess matters. Clearly, this was all planned by warriors of Guilder. Be ready for whatever lies ahead.

Hiten: Could this be a trap, my lord?

Naraku: I think everything is a trap. That is why I am still alive.