InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 29: Kagome's Dreams ( Chapter 29 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Told you I'd update! Thanks to all of the reviewers! I would answer your reviews, but I have a test on Thursday that I really should be studying for right now. I decided, however, that you all would much rather have the next chapter posted so I decided to go ahead and post it! Can I get a "hell yeah"? HELL YEAH! On with the story! Oh and forgive me if there are some typos or grammar mistakes. I didn't have a whole lot of time to look over it!

Chapter 29

Miroku and Sango sat, impatiently awaiting Kagome and Inuyasha's return. Miroku had a red hand print on his face from an obvious attempt at groping Sango again while Sango sat angrily rocking back and forth.

"Come on, Sango," Miroku pleaded. "I didn't mean to. It's just my hands! They are out of my control!" Sango frowned at Miroku.

"Sure they are!" she said. "You seem to control them just fine in battle. What makes times like these any different?" Miroku scooted closer to Sango.

"Sango," Miroku said resting a hand on her shoulder. Her back was turned to him so he couldn't see her blush. "You are just so beautiful and it is hard for me to resist such a beautiful woman." Sango looked up at him, her cheeks a pale pink. She didn't say anything. She just stared at him. She loved him, and she stared into his eyes for a few seconds before feeling something on her butt.

*WHAM*

"HENTAI!" Sango screamed as she now towered over a face planted Miroku.

"You'll never learn, will you, Miroku?" Sango and Miroku looked up to see Inuyasha and Kagome walking towards them.

"You're one to talk, dog boy!" Miroku said and laughed. Inuyasha growled and dropped the bath supplies on the ground. He cracked his knuckles.

"You have about two seconds…" Inuyasha said, but before he could finish, Miroku was already up and running. Inuyasha growled and took off after his screaming friend.

"Come back here you perverted monk!" Inuyasha screamed after his friend. The two girls giggled as they watched the men they love run off into the distance. Sango looked at Kagome who was still blushing from her earlier encounter with Inuyasha. Kagome looked at Sango.

"What?" she said. Sango eyed her friend suspiciously and then smiled.

"What happened between you two while we were away?" Sango asked with a smile. Kagome blushed a deeper shade of red.

"N-Nothing," Kagome said. Sango laughed.

"I knew it!" she said pointing a finger at Kagome. "I knew something had happened between you two! It's about time, too!"

"No, really!" Kagome protested. She had to think of something to tell Sango. "I just accidentally saw him naked." Sango smiled brightly.

"Oh, sure!" she said. "Accidentally!" Kagome's nerves eased a little.

`Whew!' she thought. `I didn't think she was going to buy it! I'm not ready to talk about this just yet.'

*WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM*

The two girls looked in the direction the guys had traveled.

"Sounds like Inuyasha caught up with Miroku," Sango said with a sigh. "Come on, Kagome. We can talk about this later. Miroku needs to take his bath so we can hurry up and get back to camp." Kagome nodded and followed Sango towards the sound of pounding fists.

* * *

Meanwhile, back towards the cave, Shippo grew restless. He paced back and forth, looking in the direction he had last seen his friends.

"Where are they?" he cried. "They should be back by now! Do you think something happened to Sango or Kagome?" Myouga rolled his eyes.

"Shippo, would you please calm down a little. I am sure they are fine. Miroku and Inuyasha are with them," Myouga said. Shippo stopped and stared at the old flea demon.

"That's exactly my point!" Shippo squealed. Myouga laughed.

"You know Inuyasha is too shy to try anything, but Miroku…well, you have a point there," Myouga said with a laugh. "Don't worry! Even Miroku is not going to do something stupid. Besides, Sango seems like she could hold her on against Miroku." Shippo and Myouga laughed as Shippo performed an impersonation of Sango slamming her boomerang on Miroku's head.

"Shippo!" they heard someone call. They looked up to see Kagome, Inuyasha, Sango, and a beat-up Miroku walking towards them. Kagome was waving her hand in the air at Shippo.

"Kagomeeeeee!" Shippo cried and ran towards her. He jumped in her arms only to knock both of them to the ground.

"Ow!" Kagome cried when she hit the ground. Inuyasha growled and lifted the little kitsune by the tail.

"You need to be a little more careful fox!" Inuyasha shouted. Shippo frowned.

"And you need to be on time! What took you guys so long?" Shippo asked innocently. "Myouga and I already went down to the river to bathe. It was cold, but it worked." Inuyasha blushed slightly and dropped the kitsune on the ground.

"Feh!" Inuyasha huffed. "If I would have wanted you to know I would have told you brat!" Inuyasha brushed off his hands and walked towards the cave.

"You're such a jerk, Inuyasha!" Shippo shouted. Inuyasha whirled around and flexed his claws in a threatening manner.

"You say something kid?" Inuyasha asked. Shippo stood up and brushed himself off.

"Yeah, I did," he said as he angrily walked over to Inuyasha and looked up at him. "I was worried that something had happened to you guys! I guess it serves me right for worrying over a jerk like you!" Inuyasha's mouth dropped open. He was about to say something when he noticed another figure towering over the kitsune. He looked up to meet Kagome's glare. Shippo walked passed Inuyasha and into the cave.

"You know, you could be a little nicer to him!" Kagome said. Inuyasha folded his arms and looked away.

"The kid's too nosy," Inuyasha said. "He gets on my nerves. It was never my idea to take the little brat with us anyway!" Kagome's mouth dropped open.

`How can he be so kind and gentle one minute and like this, the next?' she thought. Inuyasha could sense the pain in Kagome's heart, but he couldn't figure out why it was there. Kagome shook her head and walked passed Inuyasha into the cave in search of the little fox. Inuyasha felt like Shippo and Kagome had just punched him in the face, but he dare not let his countenance show it. He looked over to where Sango and Miroku stood. They looked away quickly and said nothing. Myouga sighed.

"So when are we going to continue our travels?" Myouga asked.

"First thing in the morning," Inuyasha replied. "We leave at dawn."

* * *

That night the group sat around the campfire inside the cave. Kagome and Sango sat next to each other. Shippo lay in Kagome's lap, perfectly content after Kagome's afternoon consoling, and Kirara had curled up in Sango's lap. Myouga stoked the fire as he chatted with Miroku and Inuyasha about the next day's journey.

"So, Myouga, what's next?" Inuyasha asked. Myouga looked at him as if he had not clue what he was talking about. "We've traveled through fields, weird villagers, a supposed haunted forest where we picked up the runt, and mountains full of wolf demons that used to be allies with my father. What next?" Shippo stuck his tongue out at Inuyasha. Inuyasha ignored him. Myouga smiled.

"I didn't say the journey was going to be easy, Master Inuyasha," he said. "There may still lie obstacles that we have yet to encounter. Just be sharp. There's no telling what Sesshomaru may have left behind." Everyone's expression turned serious when Sesshomaru's name was mentioned.

"I wonder what ended up happening to Sesshomaru," Sango commented as she stared into the fire.

"I don't know," Kagome answered. "I've wondered the same thing. I had a dream about it right after the battle…while I was unconscious." Inuyasha's ears swiveled in Kagome's direction, and everyone looked at her.

"Seriously, Kagome?" Miroku asked. "Why didn't you say something about it before?"

"I didn't think it meant anything," she said. "I thought it was just nightmares of the battle…until now. I keep having the same dreams." Inuyasha sat alert, listening attentively.

"What were the dreams about?" Myouga asked.

"Nothing in particular," she replied. "They were all different. In some dreams, I would dream I was walking to school and I could have sworn I saw Sesshomaru, just a glimpse of him. In others, I would dream about us traveling together and I would see him briefly behind a tree. I would try to call you guys' attention to it only to look back and he was gone. In all the dreams, he was lurking in the shadows somewhere, and I would only see him for a brief moment. But somehow, I always knew that he was there. There was always this creepy feeling that would overwhelm me in my dream, and when I would wake up, the feeling would still be there." Everyone sat in silence for a few moments. Inuyasha stared at Kagome. She looked deeply into the fire enveloped in her own thoughts.

`She's telling the truth. I can sense her fear. She seriously feels something,' he thought.

"What do you make of this, Myouga?" Inuyasha asked Myouga. Myouga looked at Inuyasha then back at the fire.

"Not really," Myouga said. "It is a known fact that Lady Kagome's sensing powers are probably the greatest we have ever known, so this may be out of my reach. The only thing I can tell you is that sometimes demons can communicate telepathically, but why would Sesshomaru want Lady Kagome to know he was alive?" Inuyasha jumped up.

"Sesshomaru can't be alive! Kagome almost killed herself ridding the world of evil! You saw it yourself! Demons lay dead everywhere after the battle. Sesshomaru was the epitome of evil! There's no way he could have survived Kagome's blast!" Inuyasha argued.

"That would seem to be the logical conclusion," Miroku said. "It would seem that Sesshomaru wouldn't have survived the blast. However, now that I think about it, do you actually think Sesshomaru is arrogant enough to battle us knowing that there is a possibility that Kagome could have started her `ridding the world of evil' at any time?"

"That's certainly debatable," Inuyasha said dryly.

"But seriously," Miroku said. "Sesshomaru may be arrogant, but he is also very clever. He wouldn't have come to us if he didn't have some sort of back-up plan." Inuyasha sat back down as he let the idea of Sesshomaru being alive sink in. "Even if he knew there was a way to hold us off, Sesshomaru doesn't seem like the type of person that would be satisfied fighting on that. He had to be incredibly confident that his plan would not fail. He had to have had a back-up plan."

"Fine," Inuyasha said. "Then what's your explanation for his escape. How could he have possibly avoided Kagome's power?" Miroku shrugged his shoulders and sighed.

"I do not know," Miroku replied. "All I know is, for some reason, Kagome is having dreams about Sesshomaru lurking in the shadows somewhere."

"Do you mean to say that you think Sesshomaru is out there right now?" Sango asked as she shivered.

"I guess there is always that possibility, but I was referring to a more symbolic reasoning," Miroku said. "Kagome's dreams mean something. She wouldn't just be having these same dreams over and over again without there being something to them."

"But why would Sesshomaru want Kagome to know he is alive?" Sango asked.

"I do not know," Miroku said. "Sesshomaru may not be trying to let Kagome know anything. Kagome may just be sensing these things on her own. Priest and priestesses have incredible sensing powers. Kagome is a very powerful priestess, so I wouldn't doubt it if Kagome's powers are out-smarting Sesshomaru's. I mean, why would Sesshomaru want us to know he is alive? It wouldn't make sense. Wouldn't it be better to attack us when we least expected it?"

"Either way, it doesn't matter," Myouga suddenly said. "It would be safer if we would just go ahead and assume that Sesshomaru is alive. I have no idea how he could have survived Lady Kagome's blast, but if he is alive, he is plotting something. We had all better be careful. If he is alive, he knows we are headed towards the castle. He could have set traps all along the way." Everyone nodded.

"Kagome?" Miroku said. Kagome looked up. Everyone, especially Inuyasha, could see the fear in her eyes.

"Yeah?" she said.

"Let us know of your dreams and how often you have them. Try to remember them as much as possible…to the very last detail. Sesshomaru may not be trying to contact you. If he's not and you are sensing these things on your own, there may be some clues that could help us in defeating him," Miroku said. Kagome nodded.

"Okay," she said. "I'll do my best, but if Sesshomaru is trying to contact someone…why me?" Miroku and Inuyasha exchanged glances.

"I don't know, Kagome," Miroku said. "But we don't need to eliminate the possibility of him trying to telepathically communicate with you."

"Myouga," Inuyasha said. "I need a word with you…outside." Myouga nodded and rose, following Inuyasha outside of the cave.

"What was that all about?" Sango asked as she watched Myouga and Inuyasha walk away.

"You got me," Kagome said.

* * *

Myouga followed Inuyasha outside the cave. Inuyasha soon stopped when he was sure the others couldn't hear their conversation. Inuyasha looked to the starry night sky. He sighed.

"Myouga, what do you think the chances are of Sesshomaru being alive?" Inuyasha asked.

"Well…before I heard of Lady Kagome's dreams I would have said there was a 50/50 chance of him being alive," Myouga began, "but now I think there is a far greater chance that he is alive out there somewhere. Lady Kagome's dreams prove so. She wouldn't be having these dreams if there were nothing to it…especially repetitively." Inuyasha nodded his head.

"But why, then, would he be trying to contact Kagome?" Inuyasha asked.

"I don't know, Master, but there is no guarantee that Sesshomaru is trying to contact Lady Kagome. Lady Kagome may be picking up Sesshomaru's presence on her own," Myouga said. "It is very possible. Lady Kagome's priestess powers exceed even…that of your mother's." Inuyasha thought for a minute.

"Let's say that Sesshomaru is trying to contact Kagome," Inuyasha said. "Why would he do that?"

"Could be a number of reasons," Myouga said. "He may be trying to mess with her mind, strike fear into her heart, or tell her something that she has yet to discover in her dreams."

"But why her?" Inuyasha asked.

"Well, my Lord, she is your weak spot," Myouga said. Inuyasha's eyes flared red and flexed his claws.

"I don't have a weak spot! You got that, flea? And even if I did, it would be some girl!" Inuyasha shouted at Myouga.

"Forgive me, my Lord," Myouga said bowing. "Perhaps, my assumptions were out of line."

"Yeah, they were!" Inuyasha huffed folding his arms in his haori.

"Again, forgive me, my Lord," Myouga said. "His reasoning for choosing Lady Kagome could also be because she was the one who almost killed him with her purification. He could just be trying to show her that she didn't kill him. You know, he may just be being spiteful."

"That doesn't sound like Sesshomaru," Inuyasha said. "He is too crafty to stoop to childish `I told you so's'." Myouga nodded.

`Damnit!' Inuyasha thought. `If Sesshomaru is alive, he will probably come after Kagome. That makes two demons that are going to be coming after her.' Inuyasha clenched his fists so tight that blood started trickling to the ground.

"Master Inuyasha! Your hand!" Myouga exclaimed.

"Ignore it!" Inuyasha ordered. "Myouga, things are going to start getting really dangerous around here. I want to keep all of this from Kagome, but it is time Sango and Miroku knew everything. We need as many people as we can protecting Kagome." Myouga nodded.

"Yes, my Lord," Myouga said. "After Lady Kagome and Shippo fall asleep, I will wake Miroku and Sango and tell them to join us outside." Inuyasha nodded.

"Go, then," Inuyasha said. "I will wait here." Myouga nodded and bowed, backing away from Inuyasha then walking inside the cave. When Myouga was out of sight, Inuyasha sighed and turned his head towards the sky.

`Mother…Father…give me strength! I would gladly die for Kagome if that is my fate, but please don't allow my death to be in vain,' Inuyasha thought. `Give me strength to protect her…and to live until I know she will never be harmed.' Inuyasha sighed. He realized that he had tried to forget what had happened between him and Kagome at the hot springs and for good reason.

`I can't let that happen again,' he thought. `Something told me not to, and I now understand. We have too many enemies right now. We can't let our guard down for a single second. I don't know how I feel about you Kagome, but I promise I will deal with all of these emotions inside of me as soon as all of this is over. Your safety must come first.'

A/N: Okay! You know the deal! You can help make the story! READ AND REVIEW! I am already taking one of you guys' ideas! You will see in future chapters what it is!