InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 63: Forgotten Memories ( Chapter 64 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Thanks to all of the wonderful reviews! Oh and Inuyasha was supposed to be a little OOC in the last chapter! That's what caused all of the drama in the first place! This chapter is the next to last chapter! *sniff * I hate to see it go, but it is time! There will be one more chapter after this (maybe two…don't know…depends on how lengthy I get with the next one), and then a prologue. I have had a couple of requests to write a sequel. Don't know if I will or not, but I guess I will see in my reviews! Well, go on! Enjoy! It's almost the end! Oh and you need “How Can I Not Love You” by Joy Enriquez for this chapter.
 
Chapter 63
 
Kagome sniffled in her bed. She couldn't sleep. She couldn't do anything but think of Inuyasha and how stupid she had acted earlier. `I overreacted,' she thought. `He probably hates me now. Oh, I'm such an idiot!'
 
She got up out of bed and walked out on to the balcony, hoping some fresh air would lift her spirits. She breathed in the night air. She sighed and rested her elbows on the balcony banister, thinking of Inuyasha.
 
Meanwhile, a lonely hanyou walked the outside corridors of the castle, lost in his own thoughts. He couldn't figure out how to make things right with Kagome. He couldn't believe she had admitted her love to him. But what was he supposed to do now? He couldn't just let her walk away.
 
[Flashback]
 
“NOBODY loves me the way I am!” he yelled, swiping his arm across his body.
 
“I DO!!!” Kagome screamed at him.
 
[End Flashback]
 
How could he have been so stupid? How could he not have seen what was right in front of him? He had to be near her. He ran to the front of the castle and jumped up into a tree near the balcony of the Royal Chambers. He sighed and looked away. When he looked back, there stood Kagome, leaning on the balcony railing. `She looks upset,' Inuyasha thought. He stared at her beautiful raven hair blowing in the wind. He wanted to take the opportunity to jump down and hug her and tell her he was sorry. However, he had been given strict warnings from Sango to let Kagome have her space. His mind soon began to drift back to various memories they had had together.
 
Kagome sighed. Why did she feel like Inuyasha was so close? She had to be imagining things. Inuyasha was no where near her at this point. She sighed again and rested her chin in her hands as her mind soon began to think of the past.
 
[A/N: Play “How Can I Not Love You” music here]
 
[Flashbacks between Inuyasha and Kagome (both)]
 
Their first conversation at school…
 
"You have tried to talk to me every day since I have arrived here. Why? Where are you going with this?" he asked still glaring at her.
 
"Going with this? I have no other motive than to just be your friend and help you become more social," she said looking back at him. "I just noticed how you stay so mysterious all of the time and I wanted to know what the mystery was all about and why you couldn't talk to the other students. I mean, I know we are here to get an education but there is nothing wrong with making friends along the way." She looked up at him with pleading eyes.
 
"So that's it, huh?" he asked. "You are just trying to be my friend. Well, let me make this easy for you. You don't want to be my friend." He looked away.
 
~~~~~
 
When Inuyasha had rescued Kagome from Hiten for the first time…
 
Kagome smiled. "So that's why you have kept yourself from interacting with the students at school! Why didn't you just say so? I wouldn't have told anyone." Inuyasha was shocked.
 
"Didn't you hear me right? I am half-demon," he said. "No one would understand me."
 
"I would," Kagome said taking a step closer to him.
 
~~~~~
 
Their first night in Inuyasha's cave…
 
"I see," Kagome said looking around the room. "So you live here? What do you do for food and water? Do you have any money?"
 
Inuyasha explained everything to her, calmly answering all of her questions. He finally just threw the stick he had been playing with into the fire and looked sternly at Kagome. "I still have no idea why I told you all of this, but you had better not breathe a word of it to anyone!!!" Kagome looked shocked at his sudden aggression. His face remained cold and stern. Kagome smiled.
 
"Inuyasha," she said picking up his hand. "Your secret is safe with me." Inuyasha blushed a little and then jerked his hand back….
 
~~~~~
 
After Inuyasha rescued Kagome from Kenta's sexual assault…
 
"Hey! What are you doing?" she asked surprised.
 
"What does it look like I'm doing? Just shut-up and let someone take care of you!!!" he said roughly without looking at her. Kagome was shocked.
 
~~~~~
 
The battle with Hiten and Manten when Kagome's powers were revealed…
 
"Inuyasha, just leave," said Kagome sadly. He looked at her.
 
"What?" he asked.
 
"I said just get out of here. This isn't really your fight anyway. They're after me, so if I let them have me, this will all be over!" she said calmly.
 
"Are you nuts!" he screamed. "Cool it with the noble act already! Besides, what will I do after that, huh?" His tone softened a little. "No, Kagome. I am never going to leave you alone." He turned and pointed his sword at Hiten. "NEVER!"
 
And later…
 
"What? Kagome, get out of there!!!" he shouted. He raced towards her. `Damnit!! I can't get there in time to block it,' he thought. `There's only one thing left to do!' He leapt in front of Kagome taking the lightning strike to his own body. "Aghh!" he shouted and fell lifeless to the ground.
 
"Inu-INUYASHA!" Kagome screamed waking Sango. Kagome flung herself onto him. "Don't die! Please don't leave me!" Tears began streaming down her face.
 
"Kagome, get out of here," he said. Kagome frowned.
 
"You wouldn't leave me and I will NEVER LEAVE YOU!" she screamed and jumped up in front of Inuyasha.
 
"Leave us alone!" she shouted. The blue light shot from her hand striking Hiten.
 
~~~~~
 
Towards the end of their first battle with Sesshoumaru…
 
Kagome looked up at Inuyasha. "Why are you doing this?" she asked.
 
"What?" he asked.
 
"Protecting me! Not giving up! Acting as if I am going to survive!" she said.
 
"Because I think there is still hope somehow and you have to survive! I promised to protect you!" he said. He continued to hold on to her tightly. "The only way you are going to die is if I die protecting you!" Kagome stared at him in disbelief…
 
"What's wrong with a half-breed?" she said later. "I told you that I thought it was cool!" She hugged him tight. "It doesn't matter to me if you are a half-demon, full demon, or full human, you're still the same person. You're still Inuyasha! It doesn't matter to me what form you come in! I would give my life for you just as easily!" She hugged him tight as tears filled his eyes. "Why are you so willing to follow in your father's footsteps when it is a past that you have been trying to overcome?"
 
"Because, Kagome," he began. "I…I…"
 
Kagome smiled reassuringly.
 
"Kagome, I love you!" he finally blurted out. Tears filled Kagome's eyes. She gripped his shirt tighter and flung herself on him.
 
"I love you, too, Inuyasha!!! I have loved you so much!" she said crying. They stared at each other for what seemed like ages. Finally, Inuyasha's lips met Kagome's and they wrapped themselves in their first and what could be their last passionate kiss.
 
~~~~~~
 
After Kagome lie motionless in bed after the battle…
 
"Kagome, please! Please don't leave me! PLEASE, KAGOME!!!!!!" He was crying hysterically now. He squeezed her tight. He couldn't allow her to leave. Inuyasha had always thought that he needed to be full demon so he could be more powerful and defeat his enemies more easily, but now he understood. He sat up slightly and looked towards the sky. "Take me instead! Take my life! Take my demon powers! Take anything you want from me as long as Kagome can live!!!" he shouted towards the heavens.
 
~~~~~
 
Inuyasha raised his sword and pointed it at Kouga.
 
"Kouga, I officially challenge you for Kagome," Inuyasha said. Myouga gasped. Kouga was shocked.
 
"No, master Inuyasha! You mustn't!!!" Myouga protested.
 
"It's too late," Inuyasha said.
 
"What's going on?!" Kagome shouted.
 
"When a demon officially challenges another demon, the challenged demon has no choice but to accept the challenge or give up what he was challenged for," Myouga explained. "In other words, Kouga has to accept Inuyasha's challenge or give you to him. They will now fight to the death for you."
 
"INUYASHA! INUYASHA, NO!" Kagome screamed hysterically. She struggled in Ginta's and Hakkaku's grasp. Warm tears began falling down her face. "I'M NOT WORTH IT, INUYASHA! JUST FORGET ABOUT ME AND GO TO THE WESTERN LANDS! YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS! IT'S NOT WORTH RISKING YOUR LIFE!”
 
"Yes it is, Kagome," Inuyasha said solemnly. "I promised I would protect you and I intend to keep that promise…even if it means dying."
 
She then lifted her head and yelled, "I NEED YOU, INUYASHA!!!"
 
~~~~~
 
The two of them began to remember various other memories of the past: Christmas, how they met Shippo, when Kagome saw Inuyasha's human form for the first time, their fight with the Shichinintai, and the numerous times Inuyasha had risked his life to save Kagome's. Considering all of that, Inuyasha was still baffled at how Kagome could possibly think that he didn't care about her.
 
[A/N: Feel free to go back and read the above mentioned moments. I placed this in the story so that Inuyasha and Kagome could realize everything they had been through together.]
 
`I guess me being rude and mean to her immediately following me being nice to her could have something to do with it,' he thought. He sighed as he continued to reminisce.
 
Kagome snapped out of her trance. She was saddened by the fact that she had all of those wonderful memories and she would be leaving tomorrow…that meant leaving Inuyasha. How could she leave him like that? He had been her best friend for a while now…and she was just supposed to pretend that none of this ever happened? That she and Inuyasha had never met? That they had never fought side by side in battle? That they had never kissed? Kagome gasped. She touched her lips. The memory of his lips against hers still sent shivers down her spine. She wanted to have that feeling again. Her bottom lip began to quiver as she began to sob silently. She buried her face in her hands.
 
“Inuyasha,” she said.
 
Inuyasha suddenly smelled salt. He sniffed the air a little until his nose led him directly to Kagome. She was crying. She was crying on the balcony. This was too much for him. He had to watch her cry and not reach out to her? Then he heard her call his name. `Oh no,' he thought. `She is crying and she is crying over me. I am an idiot!' He then watched her run back into the bedroom. He sighed. He hadn't meant to hurt her. He thought of her bright smile, her soft laughter, her caring heart, her enchanting eyes. She would be leaving tomorrow. He had to do something and he had to do it fast. How could Sango expect him to sit here like this? He couldn't stand it any more. He leapt from the tree down to the ground and ran over towards the castle. He jumped onto the balcony banister in a squatted position and listened for a moment. He didn't hear anything. He stepped down onto the balcony as he watched the sheer curtains blow softly in the breeze. He walked towards the bedroom and moved the curtains aside to find Kagome tucked into bed sobbing softly. His ears drooped as he took slow steps towards her. He peered over her shoulder to find…she was asleep. She was crying in her sleep. Oh now he really felt like an ass. He sat next to her on the bed and laid a hand on her shoulder.
 
“Kagome,” he whispered. “I'm so sorry…for everything.”
 
He leaned over and kissed her on her cheek. He had no idea what to do. He had to think of something fast though. He really couldn't ask her to stay here now. He would ask her to leave her family for this? `Family,' he thought for a minute. `That's it!' He kissed her on her cheek one more time before taking off out the window.
 
Kagome moaned and rolled over in bed. She could have sworn someone had been in the room with her. She saw the open curtains. She could have sworn she had closed them. She looked down on the bed beside her. Someone had definitely been sitting there. She sat up in bed and looked on the floor beside the bed. A trail of paw-like prints led to the balcony.
 
“Inuyasha?” she asked out loud. `He had been here,' she thought. `What could he have wanted?'
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
“So you understand what I am asking you to do?” Inuyasha said to Myouga.
 
“Yes, sire,” Myouga said. “I will get right on it. Time is of the essence.”
 
Inuyasha nodded and walked away, back towards his bedroom. Myouga smiled to himself. He thought Inuyasha would never ask.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Back in Inuyasha's bedroom…
 
“He better not have gone by Kagome's room after I specifically instructed him not to!” Sango said, pacing back and forth. “If he upset her again, I'm going to kill him!”
 
Suddenly, Inuyasha walked through the door. He seems to be in a better mood, but he was still a nervous wreck about something.
 
“You okay?” Miroku asked.
 
“Did you upset Kagome?!” Sango asked in a threatening manner.
 
“Huh?” Inuyasha said snapping out of his thoughts. “Oh…uh…no I didn't.”
 
Inuyasha started to think about it. There was absolutely no way he could ask Kagome to stay here with him. He couldn't do it. He had to let her go…for her own sake. Kagome would never stay after all she had been through with him.
 
Miroku and Sango exchanged glances. They knew something had to be wrong with him. He had walked in, sat down, and stared at the floor, not saying a word.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
The next morning, Kagome was finishing packing up. The roads were clear now. She could get home a lot quicker than they had gotten there. Satoru and his servants had provided Kagome with a suitcase to take back with her. She had done some shopping while she was there and there was no way all of that was going to fit into her yellow backpack. School was out today because of the Lord of the Western Lands inauguration. Kagome pulled out the kimono she had bought up town that day. She supposed she could wear it for Inuyasha's inauguration. She had no idea when she was going to wear it if she didn't wear it now. She changed into it quickly as she remembered that day in the market.
 
[Flashback]
 
"First, for you Lady Sango," the lady said reaching into the rack. Sango and Kagome exchanged glances, surprised she knew who Sango was. The woman held up a pale pink kimono with cherry blossoms adorning it, and a white sash around the waist.
 
"The pink will bring out the color of your eyes," the lady said, handing the kimono to Sango.
 
"Why thank you," Sango said, holding it up to her in front of a mirror. The lady was right. It was perfect for Sango in every way. "It's absolutely breath-taking."
 
The lady then moved on to Kagome. She held up a pale blue kimono with white roses and little yellow flowers. It had a yellow sash and in the center of the yellow sash was what looked to be some kind of crest. There was a larger breed of a white dog, and behind the dog was a green landmass in the shape of Japan with pale blue water on either side of it. In the dog's mouth was a white rose and four black diamonds were cast at four corners causing the crest to be in the shape of a diamond, the blue water filling the area. Beneath the dog was a single red rose and a single yellow rose whose stems intertwined to form the symbol of mankind, and a purple crescent moon adorned the dog's forehead. Kagome and Sango were spellbound. It was absolutely beautiful. Kagome didn't care how much it cost. She had to have it.
 
[End Flashback]
 
Kagome turned this way and that way in the mirror. The kimono was absolutely beautiful. It was perfect for today. Kagome touched the Takashi crest adorning the center of her yellow sash. Why did she feel like she wasn't supposed to be wearing it? She gasped as she remembered what she had overheard Myouga say the other day. Only family members and those married into the Takashi family were allowed to wear the crest. `So that's why I kept feeling weird about having the crest on,' Kagome thought.
 
[Flashback when Kagome showed Inuyasha the kimono]
 
“Listen,” he said, placing a hand on her shoulder. “It's okay. I don't care if you wear it. Besides, you're the closest thing to family I have. Better yet, I want you to wear it.”
 
[End Flashback]
 
`Well…Inuyasha did say he didn't mind if I wear it,' Kagome thought.
 
A knock suddenly came at the door. Kagome figured it was one of the servants coming to retrieve Kagome's bags.
 
“Come in,” she said.
 
The door opened to reveal Sango in her pink kimono with cherry blossoms on it. Her hair was pulled back into the traditional Japanese bun. Kagome looked at Sango and smiled.
 
“Hello,” she said. “I was actually thinking about pulling my hair back like that.”
 
“I think you should,” Sango said. “It's traditional and a tradition is about to take place.”
 
“Good point,” Kagome said as she began pulling her hair back into a bun.
 
“So, have you finished packing?” Sango asked.
 
“Pretty much,” Kagome said. “I just have to zip the suitcase, give the room one last look, and I am done.”
 
“How do you feel about today?” Sango suddenly asked. Kagome continued to mess with her hair for a minute before responding.
 
“You know,” Kagome said. “I don't really know. I just hope Inuyasha acts like himself. That's the only way he is going to be a good leader.”
 
“I didn't exactly mean it like that,” Sango said. “I meant how do you feel about leaving Inuyasha behind?”
 
Kagome finished pulling her hair back into a bun. She looked at it one last time in the mirror before sitting down on the bed next to her suitcase.
 
“I don't know,” Kagome said sadly. “I don't want to leave him…but I really have no choice. I would be in the way if I stayed and I have my entire life back East. Maybe things just weren't meant to work out for Inuyasha and I. Maybe we were supposed to meet in order to save the world and then that was it. We go our separate ways.”
 
Sango sighed. She couldn't deny that her friend had a valid argument, but Sango knew Kagome couldn't be happy about leaving Inuyasha behind. She was, after all, in love with him.
 
“I've decided to put Inuyasha behind me,” Kagome said standing and zipping her suitcase. “If he needs me, he knows where to find me. I wish him the best in his new life, and I really do feel he has made the right decision. He deserves this life.”
 
“No!” Sango said taking a step forward. “What Inuyasha deserves is friends like us! He always had this life until he was exiled! Even then he was miserable! He had no friends! He had no one to be happy for him and sad for him! But why am I the one telling you this Kagome?! You should know this more so than me!”
 
Kagome stood up straight and looked at her friend. Sango was right. Inuyasha wouldn't be happy doing all of this without his friends by his side. But what could he do? There was nothing left for him to do. He had chosen, and they had their lives back east. Kagome sighed.
 
“We will always be Inuyasha's friends, Sango,” Kagome said. “I intend on visiting him whenever I get the chance, but we can't stay here. There's nothing for us here. We would just be sitting around the castle doing nothing. I need to finish high school, and you guys have to help the other exterminators and priests back home. I wish there was some way we could work things out…but I just don't think there is.”
 
“I know,” Sango said with a sigh. “I just wish things were different.”
 
A knock came at the door. Sango opened the door and stood there for a minute.
 
“Oh, is that one of the servants?” Kagome asked sorting her suitcase and backpack on the bed. “They were supposed to be coming to get my bags. Tell them I am ready.”
 
Kagome turned and looked up. Sango had disappeared and in her place stood…Inuyasha. He smiled softly at her. He wore a white haori and pants that looked similar to his fire rat robe, only it was made of finer material. A golden plate of armor adorned his chest and back, and a thick red sash traveled from the top of his left shoulder to his right lower waist. The red sash continued, wrapping around his waist, and the Takashi crest was in the center of the sash. He was ready for the ceremony. Kagome smiled. He looked very intimidating in his new attire, however, Kagome knew he would never lay a finger on her. He looked amazing.
 
Inuyasha seemed to be thinking the same thing about her as he stared at her beautiful kimono and smiled.
 
“I'm glad you finally decided to wear that,” he said.
 
“Oh,” Kagome said with a blush as she looked down at her kimono. “Are you sure it's okay that I wear the family crest?”
 
“I am positive,” Inuyasha replied. “I want you to wear it. In fact, I need you to wear it. I need you by my side today when I am inaugurated.”
 
“Huh?” Kagome said, a little shocked by the fact that he had asked her to do that. “But I…I can't. Only family members and right hand servants are allowed on the inauguration balcony.”
 
“You are my family, Kagome,” Inuyasha said, taking her hand in his. “Please…I need you there beside me or I will never get through this.”
 
Kagome didn't know what to say. She had intended on staying for Inuyasha's inauguration, but leaving immediately after he was inaugurated. She looked up at him. She thought for a moment. `Should I really do this?' Kagome asked herself. `Should I really take him up on his offer? What if he makes an ass of himself again? What if he tries to be too much like his father again?' Kagome sighed. He was her best friend after all. She couldn't just leave him hanging when he had asked her to be there for him.
 
“Okay,” she said.
 
“Really?” he asked excitedly.
 
“Yeah,” she replied with a slight smile. “I'll stand by Inuyasha…but I refuse to stand by anyone else.”
 
Inuyasha, at first, had no idea what she was talking about. Why would she stand by anyone else? Then it hit him. She was referring to Inuyasha acting like someone he wasn't. He hadn't even thought about that. There was a huge possibility that when Inuyasha stood before his father's people that he would turn into his father all over again. Inuyasha had no idea how to respond to her question. So, he just smiled and nodded. Kagome smiled up at him.
 
“Okay,” Inuyasha said. “Let's go.”
 
“Go?” Kagome said. “But I have to leave right afterwards and my bags are still here.”
 
“Don't worry,” Inuyasha said, extending his arm for Kagome to take it. “I'll have the servants come up here to get your bags. Besides, I've taken the liberty to fly you home rather than having you drive the long drive back. Don't worry. I have everything under control.”
 
Kagome looked at him skeptically, but decided to take his arm nonetheless. She looked back at her bags one last time before shutting the door behind her and allowing Inuyasha to lead her to the inauguration balcony. Kagome sighed as they walked. She knew they would be separated soon. She didn't really know how to deal with that. Inuyasha looked down at her. `Trust me, Kagome,' he thought. `I have everything under control…if…everything goes according to plan that is.'
 
A/N: What will happen next? Will Inuyasha find some way to win Kagome over? What about the others…Sango, Miroku, Satoru, Myouga? What do their futures hold? Find out next time! The Finale will be here soon!