InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Night of the Moonflower Festival ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Final chapter, hope you liked it.
 
***************************************
 
“Kagome!” Koga screamed, jumping into the air. He was too far, he'd never catch her.
 
Kagome's life flashed before her eyes. Her friends, her family, Koga... she would never see them again. And all because she couldn't wait to see him, to be held by him again! She had slipped off Kirara's back. Sango tried to catch her, but she was falling faster than Kirara could fly. The wind kept pushing Kirara and Sango back. She was going to die. She closed her eyes tight, waiting for the impact. The wind howled around her, tearing at her exposed skin as she fell.
 
“Koga!” she cried out, wishing he had been able to at least kiss her before her life was extinguished.
 
Suddenly, she was no longer falling. She was surrounded by heat. Not a burning heat, though, so she knew she wasn't in hell. She dared to open her eyes. Koga was smiling down at her, breathing heavily and sweating a bit. He had caught her right before she hit the ground. He put her down gently. His face was a little pale as he collapsed to a sitting position.
 
“Kagome, that was a close one,” he said hoarsely. In one swift motion, she sat down in front of him and threw her arms around his neck. He held her tightly. He had been so scared, but now that the danger was over, his whole body felt like jelly.
 
“I'm sorry, Koga. I didn't mean to do that. I'm sorry I worried you,” she touched her forehead to his. Sango and Kirara had finally been able to land. They watched the couple, smiling at each other. Kagome felt their eyes on her and Koga. She turned to them, feeling very ashamed.
 
“Sango! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to worry you either. I should have held on tighter, I shouldn't have leaned out so far, I should have...”
 
“Shh, Kagome, it's ok. You fell, but Koga caught you. I didn't think he would make it, but he did. It was amazing! He became a flying blur, he was moving so fast. It was like he grew wings on his feet.” Sango winked at her friend. “Be good to each other and come visit me often, ok?” Kagome nodded. Sango gave her a wave and climbed back up onto Kirara. With a farewell smile, the demon slayer and her demon cat rose up into the air and back to the village.
 
Kagome watched until they were a tiny speck in the sky. She turned to Koga. He brushed the strands of loose hair behind her ear. The wind was still blowing strongly, but he ignored it. His mind was focused on one thought. He reached into the skins he wore, his fist closing around a small, metallic object. He pulled it out and put it in Kagome's hand.
 
“Koga?”
 
“Kagome...will you...will you...” he pulled his hand back, revealing a ring resting in Kagome's palm. He heard her sharp intake of breath. “Kagome, will you be my mate? My wife?”
 
“Koga...I...”
 
“I know this seems so sudden, but when you fell just now, time froze for me. It felt like the world was about to end. I've been holding on to this ring for a while now, before I ever met you. It was my mother's. She left it to me when she died. She said that I should keep it with me always, because it is magic and would help me find my perfect mate. And I found you. You're smart, witty, beautiful, and you're the kindest person I've ever met. It's ok for you to say no. I'll ask you again in a year. I'll ask you once every year until you say yes,” Koga rambled. “I'll do everything in my power to--” Kagome covered his mouth with her hand.
 
“Koga. Yes, my answer is yes. I love you and only you, it just took a while for me to figure it out.” She kissed him solidly. He blinked in surprise, then relaxed into it.
 
His lips are so soft, his tongue is so warm. Who would have guessed he'd be such a good kisser, Kagome thought. He pulled away first, albeit reluctantly. He slipped the ring on her finger. She looked down at it, and smiled. The ring was silver with a moon flower carved delicately from colored stones atop it. In the center of the flower was a pink diamond that sparkled as brightly as the moon dust on the real moon flowers.