InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Past and Future ❯ Failure and the Past ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello! This is the 5th chapter and after so many things happening Kenshien gets to go to the past but the adventure doesn't started until the next chapter!
 
I don't own Inuyasha! If I did I would kidnap Sesshomaru and hide him in my room!
 
I also don't own What hurts the most by Rascal Flatts!
 
0000000000000
 
A large sword came crashing towards the earth as the person who was wielding it fought the enemy. The owner of the sword fell down to his knees panting. He had tried everything. Nothing was working! All of those months training just to fell to his knees panting. No! he screamed in his head. He was not going to take this laying down! He was the son of a hanyou that kill the great Naraku and the nephew of a great demon lord. He was not going down like this!
 
“Kukuku…Try as you might but you can never defeat me.” his enemy laughed in his face. At the mockery he narrowed his eyes and got up prepared to fight once more.
 
“Ohh…you still have some fight left in you now. So much like your father, Kenshien. It would be a shame if he would see you now. Losing to someone like me? What would Suki think? Her mate wasn't strong enough to protect her and even after a year he still isn't strong enough.” Kenshien growled dangerously deep in his throat. He glared at Naraku with deadly eyes.
 
“Shut up!” Kenshien yelled at him. Naraku only grinned out of the pleasure he was receiving from the broken pup.
 
“It seems I've hit a nerve.” Naraku said as he licked his lips. Kenshien's eyes narrowed more than ever as he lost control of his emotions again and charged head first into the battle.
 
It did no good as Naraku at the last second put his barrier up. Once Kenshien made contact with hit he immediately bounced off of it and right back to the ground. Kenshien just laid there after he stopped sliding a crossed the dirt. There was no point to get back up. Nothing worked. Tetsusaiga was little to no help. Every attack that Kenshien throw at him was deflected off of the barrier that surrounded him. Not even the ones that were made to break Naraku's barriers.
 
“Kukuku…still weak are we?” asked Naraku when Kenshien didn't get back up. “I'll guess I'll let you live for now. Everyone knows that no one can defeat me. Might as well give you false hope that one day you will defeat me, I know that things would be very boring if I didn't have someone trying to kill me.” with that Naraku left Kenshien on the ground looking up to the night sky with blank eyes. With out him noticing the sky started to cloud up and in moments it was raining out with Kenshien stuck in the middle. It reminded him of a song that his mother would sing.
I can take the rain on the roof of this empty house
That don't bother me
 
 
Is this going to be what me life is forever to going to be? thought Kenshien not even moving from his place on the ground. For the last year he had trained and train until his body gave out from exhaustion. All that for this. Why am I so weak? he continued as his eyes started to tear. He started to hum the song in his head as words came up to fill the music.
 
I can take a few tears now and then and just let them out
I'm not afraid to cry every once in awhile
 
 
Forgive me Suki. I let you die. I let everyone die. If only I was stronger. I wouldn't have to feel this…ache in my chest. If only I was stronger. Kenshien cried but if anyone looked at him they would only think the rain was doing it.
 
Even though going on with you gone still upsets me
There are days every now and again I would pretend I'm ok
But that's not what gets me
 
 
Kenshien moves his hand over his chest feeling his heart beat. It felt fine on the outside but Kenshien could feel it on the inside. It was horrible. Just thinking about Suki or the others brought pain to his being. The only way to dull it was to train nonstop.
 
Suki? Is this my fate? Am I distained to be alone in this world? Without you by my side? he thought clutching the fabric of his purple-gray haori under his palm.
 
What hurts the most
Was being so close
 
 
Father…were you wrong about me? You would say all kinds of things about me being strong but here I am. I wasn't strong enough to protect my mate or pup. What would you think of me if you knew about this? Probably roll in your grave. Kenshien chuckled at his little joke though there was nothing to be laughing at.
 
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
 
 
Kenshien thought back to when things were peaceful and happy. Even the crazy times Kenshien would count. He wondered what it would be like if Kikyo didn't betray them and Naraku didn't kill his family. What would the baby be like? Would it be a girl that he could spoil rotten or a boy that would what to train and out best his old man in everything he could. It didn't matter to him. For he knew that no matter what he would love any pup that he and Suki would have.
 
And never knowing
What could have been
And not seeing that loving you
Is what I was trying to do
 
 
It was hard and he was making it if only for now. He still had his sister to take care of before he gave up in this world of the living. It was hard when he would travel to village to village and see all of the couples happy and care free, not a single hardship like the one he was going through. Then he would see the big brothers teaching their little sister something, be it a prank or something useful in the future. He knew it all too well for he did that once with his sister. Kenshien knew that if it wasn't for her he wouldn't be alive right now. He wouldn't be able to take the pain of losing everyone.
 
It's hard to deal with the pain of losing you every where I go
But I'm doing it
It's hard to force that smile when I see our old friends and I'm alone
Still harder
Getting up, getting dress, livin' with this regret
 
 
Kenshien frowned as he thought of the things that he hadn't said to Suki or the others. There were so many things he wanted to say to them. Like how could Suki love him with being whom he was and how grateful he was that she did. And how even though he would get knocked down lots of times his father was always there to pick him up and give him the courage to try again.
 
But I know if I could it over
I would trade give away all the words that I saved in my heart
That I left unspoken
 
 
Then there was his mother who always had a shoulder to cry on and a person to go to for help. Sango and Miroku were always the people to go to if he had a fight with his parents mostly his father but they gave him a place to cool off. His uncle was a silent but wise person that had helped him see his sister for more than the annoying girl that he thought she was.
 
What hurts the most
Is being so close
 
 
Kenshien could not help but to smile. It was a sad one but a smile none the less. This song was exactly like his life at the moment. He lost all of those that were precious to him except a few and even then he had to live them behind to train without worry. Kenshien closed his eyes to sleep as the rest of the song played out in his head.
 
And having so much to say [Much to say]
And watching you walk away
 
And never knowing
What could have been
 
And not seeing the loving you
Is what I was tryin' to do
 
Ohhh…
 
What hurts the must
Was being so close
 
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
 
And never knowing
What could have been
 
And not seeing that loving you
Is what I was tryin' to do
 
Not seeing that loving you
That's what I was tryin' to do
 
 
At hearing the end of the song Kenshien fell into a peaceful sleep with no nightmares, no dreams, and no pain. With that last thought Kenshien was lost to the black world of sleep despite the rain around him still pouring.
 
000000000000000
 
“Kenshien…” a voice called to him. Who is that? he thought as the voice scared away the darkness that was around him.
 
“Kenshien…” the voice sounded again. Who are you? he asked but there was no answer.
 
“Kenshien…wake up!” Kenshien opened his eyes just a slit at the voice. The voice sounded so familiar.
 
Who was it? Kenshien wondered as he completely opened up his eyes. It was a little blurry at first and Kenshien had to blink a coupe of times to get his vision to focus. When he did though the first thing he saw was a brown wooded roof over him. His eyes filled with confusion. He could have sworn that he feel asleep outside in the pouring rain.
 
“Kenshien! Your up!” the person said jumping on his body for a hug. Huh? thought Kenshien for his mind was not fully aware because his sleep. He looked down to see a silver hair. Silver hair? Wait a minute! Kenshien figured it out.
 
“Karai?!” he exclaimed. The silver hair moved up and down motioning a nod. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her tightly. She was here! After a year of not seeing each other they were together again.
 
Hold on! She's here! That means she's not at the cave. Why that little… Kenshien thought angrily at first but calmed down in the end. It was alright he guessed. They have been apart for so long.
 
“Karai what are you doing here?” he asked her. She seemed to hesitate but pulled away from her big brother. She knew that he was mad if not pissed for coming out of safety. With a sigh she decided to answer his question.
 
“I wanted to see you again, to know that you're alive.” she told him and he smiled at her. “And I wanted to help kill Naraku.” she added and the smile on Kenshien's face disappeared and was replaced with a disapproving one.
 
“No you are not.” Kenshien said firmly but afterwards sighed. “Now stand up so I can take a good look at you.” Karai complied happily and stood up spinning around so her brother could see everything.
 
Kenshien's eyes scanned her outfit and her person. He immediately noticed that she grew in size; a little passed his hip now. Her outfit changed too. Instead of her pink haori it was a mixture of red and white swirls he guessed in the name of their father. It was a dress as one would say from the modern world but this dress had two slits on each side to make it easier to run with. Her hair was the same but instead of leaving it down she put it up into two neatly down buns on each side of her head. He could tell she still had the jewel of four souls with her and on her back was a bow and some arrows where on her hip was a sword. Not a demon sword like the three that he has but a plain sword that was for humans as one would guess seeing as spiritual powers didn't work on them.
 
“You sure have grown up.” Kenshien commented making Karai blush. He chuckled at the sight of it making it go a deeper red. Karai took a moment to calm herself down and then turned to her brother with a serious expression on her face.
 
“Brother, I have found a way to beat Naraku.” she announced. Kenshien looked at her shocked beyond words. He had been training for a year to defeat him and her, his kid sister of 11 now knew the answer. It was unreal.
 
“This is no time to joke Karai.” he told her thinking she was pulling some sick joke on him but that was pushed aside when she shook her head no.
 
“This is not a joke brother. I found a way. It came to me when Uncle Koga and I were taking.” she explained with coldness in her voice. She was a little mad that he would believe that she would joke about something like this.
 
“Wait…Uncle Koga?” Kenshien questioned looked confusion. Karai blushed again.
 
“Well I uh…kinda have a crush on his son…hehe.” Karai spilled the beans giving a sheepish smile to boot as she rubbed a hand behind her head. Kenshien gave her a teasing all knowing smirk at her confession.
 
“You don't have much trouble you are in if our father knows about this. He may be dead but you know all of the stories that our parents would tell us. He could come back just to kill Koga's son because it's Koga's son that you have a crush on.” the both laughed at that knowing if their father could he would do that same exact thing too. They both stopped ever the moment ended and a sad silence fell over them at the thought of their father again.
 
“So what was this about you know how to defeat Naraku again?” Kenshien questioned his sister. Her face turned grime at the thought of Naraku but answered her brother's question.
 
“I came across this lady while fishing. She was hurt; badly. I healed her. I have more control of my powers now.” Karai paused and Kenshien muttered something about `better than me hopefully' about the spiritual powers thing. He sucked at it. Maybe he could get Karai to teach him more about. Kenshien was knocked out of his thoughts when Karai started to continue.
 
“After I helped her she said that for her thanks she will do one thing for me. She told me she was person that had lots of powers and could do a lot of things. The first thing I asked was that she could kill Naraku or at least weaken him but she said she couldn't. I was sad at that and she asked me why I wanted this person dead. I told her. I saw her thinking and then she got an idea. She said she could send us to a time where Naraku is weak enough for you to kill her.” Karai explained with a bright smile on her thinking she did good.
 
Kenshien just stared at her shocked. This was too good to be true! He could stop Naraku but… Kenshien's hoped dropped. Even if he did kill Naraku in that time this future would be ruined. Kenshien wasn't stupid and he thought things through.
 
The only reason that his parents got together was because of their defeat of Naraku and if he killed Naraku himself their world be a chance that their parents would never get together. Then there's still a possibility that Kikyo still could bring Naraku back for the dead. That's it! Kenshien's voice broke out in a smile. Karai saw the smile and hers' brighten more thinking that Kenshien agreed with the plan.
 
“A good idea right?!” asked Karai proud of herself as she put one fist over her heart.
 
“No, it isn't.” at the sound of Kenshien's disagreement Karai's mood faltered and became sad immediately. Her brother didn't like her idea? She thought that he liked it when he smiled.
 
“We can't kill Naraku Karai.” he said gently to her and he put his hands on her shoulders so he knew that he had her full attention. “Killing Naraku in the past is a bad idea we don't know what would happen if we did that. So I have a better one. We are going to kill Kikyo.” he told her of his plans. Seeing that her brother still liked her idea made Karai happy again and was hugging her brother tightly.
 
“You said `we'. Does that mean I'm coming too?” Karai was afraid to ask this question but she had to know. Kenshien nodded. Karai had tears of joy coming out of her eyes. She was finally going to be with her big brother again. She was upset and mad at him when he left at first but with time she understood. He wanted to get back at Naraku for what he did without worrying that she or the other would be in danger.
 
“So this lady friend of yours can take us through time but she can't weaken a single man?” asked Kenshien with a light laugh at the end. Karai giggled at his meaning.
 
“I know it's weird but I'm happy anyway. I get to be with you this time.” Karai said with a sad smile and lend back on her brother. She was tired all of the sudden and just wanted to go to sleep. With the thought of being with her brother again afraid all of this time she closed her eyes and went to sleep.
 
00000000000000
 
“Are you sure it is this way.” Kenshien complained getting on his sister's nerves as they walked through a beaten trail. Karai grinned her teeth together in announce. That was the fifth time in the last 10 minutes that he had asked her that question. For the love of Kami!
 
“We are almost there. Jez… and people and demons alike tell me I'm impatient.” Karai grumbled the last part under her breath. Kenshien pouted but smiled none the less at teasing his sister. It stayed quite for a minute…two…three…four…five. Karai sighed thinking that she finally got Kenshien to be quite when…
 
“Are we there yet?” he asked grinning like a fool at the reactions he was getting from her.
 
“No-uh yeah we are.” Karai was going to scream in his face hoping to hurt his ears but then she noticed the hut just a few feet in front of her.
 
“Sweet! So what's the lady's name again?” asked Kenshien. Karai's face held confusion but then remembered that she didn't tell who the old lady's name was.
 
“That's because I didn't tell you. Her name is Lady Sakura.” Karai snapped at her older brother. Kenshien crossed his arms and pouted again.
 
“Touché today little sister.” he teased her again. Karai clutched her hands into fist to keep them there and not his face. With a sigh she let it drop and went to the old hut that looked like it was about to fall apart any minute.
 
Kenshien stopped joking around and was on alert for anything to happen mainly ready to jump out of the way if this hut came down. Karai didn't mind and continued to walk the next couple of feet to the hut and Kenshien followed her as the entered. Once inside Kenshien scanned the inside of it. It was simple plainly put. There was a fire pit, some space, a chest filled with Kami knows what and a matt to lay on with a small pillow and a white sheet to keep warm.
 
“Lady Sakura?! I have my brother and we are willing to get into the past.” he watched as his sister called out to the old woman. A woman that looked around in her 60's stepped forward. Her kimono was like her hut plain and simple. It was green with leafs on it; they looked like they were blowing into the wind. Her hair was gray; a compete white even and it was tied up in the back of her head.
 
“Dear you don't have to shout. I hear you and your brother a mile away. Especially you Kenshien and your complaining.” she told them with her elderly voice. Kenshien immediately want for Tetsusaiga at his hip and into a fighting stance.
 
“What are you? I know that no mortal would have the ability to hear me from such a distance.” Kenshien ordered. The woman smiled as Karai got in front of him to block his attacks on the old woman.
 
“You, young man have such spirit. I feel sorry for you to have gone through horrid event such as Naraku.” Sakura said calmly to him and sat down near the fire pit. With a snap of her fingers the fire light. Kenshien's muscles tense at the sudden action preparing for an attack but none came.
 
“Come, come. Sit down. You have had a long trip.” Sakura invited them. Karai smile and took the invitation while Kenshien hesitated but followed shortly after.
 
“So you have decided to go to the pass have you?” asked Sakura. Kenshien nodded. “You do know the risks there right?” again Kenshien nodded. “Alright. I'll just tell you a few things this is the real past so what ever you do can change this future. If one of you die you die and nothing else. If you succeed in your journey and all is well you will be able to remember everything even the deaths. Any questions?” Kenshien nodded.
 
“I do. I don't want to kill Naraku. Because of him our parents are together. No, I wish to go after the woman who is called Kikyo. Can you do that?” he asked her and Sakura eyes widen.
 
“The priestess Kikyo?” Sakura asked him with disbelief in her voice. Kenshien nodded once more.
 
“Yes, I realized that if I do kill Naraku in the past there is still a chance that Kikyo the one who brought Naraku to life in the first place could do it again and all of this would be in vain. I wish to kill her to in sure that nothing like this would ever happen again.” Kenshien spoke with confidence. Sakura nodded accepting the answer.
 
“Any more question?” she repeated.
 
“Yes, once we are done, how do we get back?” asked Kenshien. Sakura waved her hand like it was a stupid question.
 
“You should return own your own. Anything else?” said Sakura and Kenshien had one more question to ask.
 
“What about a fail safe? Like if one of us is in trouble. Could you have something that with a just a second we would pop back up here?” Kenshien asked and Sakura smiled.
 
“Well aren't you a smart one. Here you go.” said Sakura as she reached into her kimono and fished out two blue round charms. “All you have to do is say release and you will end up back here. Be warned though, it is a one way trip. Once you came back here you can not go back to the past again.” she handed them the two charms and they nodded.
 
“Will let's get started then. I'm not as young as I use to be and getting older.” Sakura complained as she started to do the spell to send them into the past.
 
000000000000
 
There you have! Now the real adventure will begin in the next chapter!