InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Right Thing ❯ Part I ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A/N: This is my first fanfic, so go easy on me. I had got this idea from watching the music video, “Because I’m a Girl” by Kiss. Neither Inu-Yasha chracters nor the music video belongs to me.

The Right Thing
Part I
By: Scars of the Moon

“Remember how you told me that..." I took a breath to keep my voice from shaking. "That I was free to leave whenever I wanted?"

"Yes...I remember." Sesshoumaru replied after a small moment of silence. Whether the silence was due to the lack of memory or hesitation, I could not tell. He was a difficult person to read, especially now since my eyes were filling up with tears.

"Is that offer...still valid?" My voice came out surprisingly strong, as if it belonged to someone else. The tears were now rolling freely down my face, and my body shook slightly as I waited for his answer.

"Yes...it is still valid." His answer was neither hesitant nor weak. It was clear and strong, much like everything else he did. I didn't know whether to be relieved or disappointed. I knew it was going to be this way... that he wasn't going to ask me to stay. Even though I knew, it didn't stop me from hoping, no wishing that he would ask me to not leave him... But requesting anything from anyone was out of his character and I wasn't an exception. After all, I was nothing to him, even though he was everything to me. After recollecting myself, and I was sure that my voice would not shake, I faced the inevitable.

"I am going to leave to Kyoto. My aunt lives in a shrine there, and I wanted to stay with my for awhile." The tears did not stop, and my voice continued to contradict my emotions. I half wished that he would ask my to stay, but the more reasonable side of me knew that if he asked me to stay, then I would never have to strength to leave him. That meant he would never get to see again. He would never see Kagura again. He would have to hurt as much as I'm hurting right now...

"I understand." His words seemed so cold, uncaring...and final. I hated myself for expecting anything else.

"Take care of yourself." This time, I was unable to stop the tiny shake in my voice. I prayed to the Gods that he didn't catch it. I somehow managed to walk to the door, even though my legs felt like tons of bricks. I never knew that I had this much willpower before. Just before I took the final step out the door, I caught his soft voice calling my name.
"Rin," It was barely a whisper, but I caught it. He turned his head towards where I stood, and his blank eyes met with mine. Then he said the words that made me let out a sob. "Thank you... for everything." I couldn't take it anymore. I ran, until my legs couldn't support my and I collapsed. I let out streams of sobs, constantly telling myself that this was the right thing to do.