InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The River ❯ The Tempest, part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I still don't own InuYasha.
 
Chapter two: The Tempest, part 2
 
Kagome stared silently at Tama, now thoroughly convinced, if she wasn't already, that she was completely insane. Trying to fake enthusiasm, she forced a smile and said, “Oh…well…thanks…um…alright, what is it?”
 
Tama tossed it to her, rolling her eyes. “Open it, stupid. It's more then it seems.”
 
Kagome silently caught the bundle, studying it curiously. It was heavy for its appearance, and now that she saw it up close she could make out a vague spherical shape to it. She cautiously peeled back the dingy rags to reveal what was beneath.
 
She realized that her first guess had not been far from the mark. Inside of the bundle was what appeared to be a small glass globe that fit comfortably in the palm of her hand. Its color was a pale pink, and appeared tinted purple in some places. The odd thing was that although pretty, the tiny sphere was completely unremarkable, and she couldn't see how Tama would consider it to be valuable.
 
Seeing her apprehension, Tama said quietly, “Hold it to the light.”
 
Kagome obliged warily, holding up the odd ornament to the sunlight that drizzled into the room, and got the surprise of her life.
 
Although completely ordinary when by itself, the strange jewel was absolutely incredible when coupled with the strong afternoon sunlight. The colors, once pale and plain, suddenly became brilliant and diverse, depicting every shade of pink and purple imaginable. The jewel itself seemed to glow with a new warmth that emanated from its very core and shone with a brightness that put the sun to shame, throwing intricate, lively patterns of light against the wall and casting a shimmering configuration against Kagome's face.
 
She lifted her head to stare in disbelief at Tama. “It is beautiful,” she whispered.
 
Tama smiled. “It may help. If you get into a tight spot, you can always sell it.”
 
Kagome froze, staring at Tama. “Oh-! No…no, Tama, I can't take this-”
 
“Sure you can, I was going to give it to you for your birthday anyway. Just don't loose it. It's probably more valuable then either of us could guess, so keep it with you.”
 
Kagome nodded and tucked the jewel into the tiny bag hanging around her neck with the note and carved owl. She lifted her gaze to Tama, who was smiling nervously. “Are you ready?”
 
Kagome froze. She wasn't ready, she realized. She wasn't ready to leave her family and friends. She wasn't ready to leave the only home that she ever knew. She wasn't ready!
 
But I don't have a choice, she realized. Either way, I'll have to leave home. At least this way I will have some control over my destiny. With that, she nodded her head shortly and picked up her bag, slinging it over her shoulder. Neither of the two girls said a thing for several moments. Tama finally broke the silence. “Let's go before it starts to storm,” she muttered, before turning around and walking down the stairs, Kagome following close behind. When she reached the part of the stairs that reveled her to the kitchen, she held up a hand, signaling Kagome to stop as she scanned the kitchen for any sign of life. She sighed with relief, seeing none, and motioned for Kagome to follow her.
 
“Where is everybody?” whispered Kagome.
 
“Dads out back, Mom went up to Star for something, Rins swimming in the river, and the twins are running around in the woods. I don't know where Sota is.” Tama pushed the front door open, scanning the area for their family. She saw no one, but they soon heard barking. Moments later, Uba and Gora came running up to them, barking and jumping. Tama immediately knelt to their level, seizing them by the skin on their necks and hushing them. They quieted almost immediately. She stood, giving them both rough pats on the head. Kagome followed suit, and with that they headed to the barn.
 
When they got there, Kagome sighed with relief and dropped her bag into the already-loaded wagon that Tama was using to transport the furniture (and Kagome) to Tara. “Who are we taking?”
 
“Traveler, of course,” Tama responded, walking over and stroking the muzzle of said horse. “He is our best horse, after all.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, you're just playing favorites.”
 
“I haven't the vaguest idea what you're talking about,” Tama said briskly, leading Traveler over to the cart and starting to hook him up. “Alright, Kagome, it's going to be hot under the tarp, so once we get far enough form the house, you can come on out from under the tarp. I'm pretty sure that if we time it right, no one will seem you.”
 
Kagome nodded gratefully, sitting on the ledge of the wagon and swinging her legs back and forth. “You actually think that I'll have enough to get as far as New Orleans?”
 
“You should,” Tama responded thoughtfully. “And if you don't, that's what I gave you the jewel for.”
 
Kagome reached up and grasped the bag around her neck. “I hope I won't have to sell it. It would be nice to have a reminder of home once I get there…”
 
“Get where?”
 
Kagome tumbled off of the edge of the wagon in shock, and Tama started, startling Traveler. Kagome sat up to see her little brother Souta standing next to the barn door, watching them with interest. “Get where?” he repeated. “Kagome?”
 
Tama turned to glare at him. “What was that for, huh? You trying to scare us? Traveler could have panicked and really hurt me or Kagome! What do you want, anyway?”
 
“Dad wants to know when you're going to Tara.”
 
“I'll be leaving in a few minutes, go on, now, Souta.”
 
But he didn't leave. He stood silently in the doorway of the barn, his eyes fixed on his oldest sister. “Kagome?” he said softly. “Where you going?”
 
“Souta, be like the old lady who fell out of the wagon,” Tama snapped, fixing Travelers bridle.
 
Souta watched Kagome with mournful eyes. “You're leaving, aren't you?”
 
Kagome looked at her brother and found herself unable to lie to him. “Yes,” she whispered.
 
“Alright, Souta, it's time you got back to Dad and tell him I'll be going in a few minutes. But don't you say a single word about this, you hear? Now get on out of here, kid, you know too much already,” Tama said sternly.
 
“Bye, Kagome,” Souta whispered. “I'll miss you.” And with that he left the barn.
 
Tama looked up, an odd expression in her eyes. She groaned. “Shoot,” she grumbled. “Kagome, finish fixing up Traveler, I need to grab some food before we go.”
 
Kagome nodded shortly and stood, walking over to Traveler as Tama left the barn. She finished hooking up Traveler to the wagon, absorbed in her thoughts about what she was going to do, and waited for Tama to return. After a few minutes, Tama entered the barn, holding a small bundle. “All right,” she said warily. “Are you ready?”
 
Kagome nodded silently, suddenly unable to find her voice.
 
“Then let's go,” Tama grinned.
 
Kagome walked over to the wagon, the strap of her bag in a death grip. She shakily lifted up the edge of the tarp covering the wagon, looking inside. All she could see was the table, which lay on its side, legs separating it from the side of the cart. Kagome settled herself between the table and the side of the wagon and laid down there, clutching her bag to her chest like it was her last lifeline. Tama pulled the tarp shut, and Kagome could tell from the sounds coming from outside of the wagon and the movements of the tarp that she was lashing it down.
 
Kagome silently bit her lip, suddenly becoming very interesting in the swirling grains of the wood of the cabin. I'm not gonna cry I'm not gonna cry I'm not gonna cry…No matter how many times she drilled that thought into her head, she still couldn't retain letting a few tears slip forth. This was, after all, her home.
 
Now that she thought about it, the two choices that she was given were remarkably similar. On one hand, she has to leave her home - possibly forever - and go live hundreds of miles away with a man she didn't know, and on the other hand, she had to leave home - possibly forever - and go live hundreds of miles away with a man she didn't know. Yes, the two outcomes were very similar. Quite possibly the only difference was that she would have slightly more control over her life if she went south to New Orleans, so New Orleans it was.
 
But the revelation that she would be better off in New Orleans didn't make it any easier to leave the only home she ever knew and the family that she loved.
 
An abrupt jarring jerked Kagome out of her meditation, signaling that they were off. She clenched her teeth in exasperation of her own self pity. She would certainly have a good life down in New Orleans, and because it was the lesser of the two evils, why should she be complaining? It couldn't be that bad, she told herself. Sloane was probably really nice, too. Possibly a bit cynical if his sister was any indicator, but nice nonetheless.
 
With that thought, Kagome was ready for whatever else God would throw at her.
 
&&&
 
Kagome actually fell asleep to the gentle movement of the carriage, but it seemed to her that she had only just shut her eyes when Tama was shaking her awake.
 
Kagome had been dreaming that she was on a riverboat on the Tennessee, gazing out at the water, when suddenly the boat started to rock, as though the wind was stirring the water. The waves below hissed her name softly, calling to her: Kagome…Kagome…
 
Kagome…
 
“Kagome!”
 
“Huh? Wha? What happen'?”
 
Tama shook her head. “You fell asleep is all. Now come on out of there, were almost in Tara and I ain't inclined to explain to folks why I got my sister in the back of the wagon.”
 
“Oh…” Kagome grabbed her bag and hoisted herself up and out of the wagon. Tama had stopped on a starch of red dirt road, huge green-leafed trees lining the road and creating a canopy that tinged everything below it a pretty jade color. Kagome diverted her attention to her sister. “So, what's our plan?”
 
Tama walked over to the seat that sat behind where Traveler had been hooked up and climbed up. “The plan is I'm gonna go an' deliver this junk, then you'll go an' get your ticket.”
“Shouldn't we get the ticket first?”
 
“I dunno…I guess we could…why?”
 
Kagome shrugged. “I was just thinking…well, how fast to tickets sell out?”

Tama turned to face her, frowning and deep in thought. After several moments, she nodded. “Alright,” she said, “we'll get the ticket first.”
Kagome nodded, satisfied, and climbed up on the wagon next to Tama. Tama snapped the reins smartly across Travelers back, and they started off again.
 
Neither girl spoke a word as they made their way to Tara. When they left home, Kagome estimated that it was about eleven in the morning. It was now well past noon, probably around three in the afternoon judging by the position of the sun. Kagome silently watched the scenery as they passed it by. She would miss this place, she thought. But even as she lamented again about having to leave her home, her heart felt light at the prospect of a new beginning, and she now felt fully ready for whatever could be thrown at her.
 
A full half hour of silence passed before they finally arrived in Tara. There was only one main road in Tara along which all of the businesses were built, mixed in a few houses of the more wealthy. Tama checked her list of people she had to deliver the furniture to, pausing and glancing at the road. The dock was slightly separated from Tara, lying at the end of a small road that cut through the woods to the river. They turned onto the road and soon found themselves at the river boat docks, staring out at the shining river. Tama sighed heavily and hopped off of the wagon. “Money?” Kagome removed the pouch from around her neck with shaking hands and handed it to Tama. “Wait here.”

Tama walked calmly over to the small hut where they were selling tickets. Kagome waited silently in the wagon, watching the riverboat. It was white, and had the word “thunderclap” written on the side. Kagome scowled in disgust. What a stupid name for a boat. Thunderclap? Pitiful.
 
She was distracted enough with her thoughts that she didn't notice Tama until she was right next to the wagon, fuming angrily. “Lousy cheapskate! Wanted twelve gold pieces for a full trip to New Orleans. Can you imagine? By God, Seven Stars line up the river only charges five to get as far as the gulf!” She rolled her eyes. “Well, I gave him down the country, you can be sure of that.” She handed Kagome back her little pouch. “Rest assured, you still goin' to New Orleans.”
 
“Do I have anything left?”
 
“You've three pieces, so spend wisely. I guess you could always sell something if you get in a fix, but…” her voice trailed off and she sighed. “Anyway, here's your ticket. You'll be takin' the Thunderclap as far as Driftwood, where you'll board the-”
 
“Wait, I thought this line only goes as far as Oak Ridge?”
 
“The Tennessee River line bought out the Wisteria line. Can I finish?” Kagome clamped her mouth shut and nodded. “So, you'll take this boat here as far as Driftwood, where you'll board the Blue Moon. That'll take you to New Orleans.”
 
“How long until I get there?”
 
“Three, four weeks if the weather's with you. Bit more if it ain't.” She swung up onto the wagon and picked up the reins. “Now, let's get a move on. I have to get this junk dropped off, and you got to be on that boat in an hour.”
 
Tama drove the wagon back to the main part of Tara and onto the bustling street, scanning the area for the location of her first address. It took her only a half hour to get everything delivered, and Kagome had expected her to take her to the docks when she stopped in front of a general store. “Wait here,” she commanded before jumping off of the cart. Kagome sighed heavily, watching the parched sky and waiting for Tama to return. She was starting to worry that she would miss her boat and was ready to walk down to the docks when Tama emerged from the store. “Alright. I got you a few things.”
 
Kagome looked over her shoulder in curiosity as she unwrapped her bundle. “First, a harmonica.”

Kagome laughed. “A harmonica?”
 
“Yeah, you remember, I taught you a few summers ago?”
 
“Ah, that's right. Alright, what else you got?”
 
“Let me see…there's some more bandages, a bit of salve that helps heal injuries - best for burns and cuts and the like - and I got you a bag-”
 
“I have a bag.”
 
Tama opened the bag to show Kagome the blackened interior. “Yeah, but this one's been tarred. It'll keep your stuff drier. Last, I got you…this.”
 
Tama removed the last thing from the bag. It was a flat, square package, wrapped in thick cloth. “Don't open it `til you get on the boat, alright?”
 
Kagome nodded, putting the bag that she already had inside of the new tarred one. It was much nicer then the one she had now, with stitches that weren't coming out and a more secure tie to keep it closed. She shut the bag and glanced over at Tama who was watching her. “You ready?”
 
“Ready as I'll ever be.”
 
Tama nodded shortly, snapping the reins on Traveler's back. Another jerk and they started toward the dock. As they drew nearer, Kagome felt the fear rise up in her like fire. She kept her eyes set forward, trying not to let her fear show. She failed miserably. Tama glanced at her. “Don't worry,” she grunted. “Sloane is nice, and nothing will happen to you on the way down.”

Kagome didn't reply to that; she was afraid of what would come out if she opened her mouth to speak. All too soon, they had arrived at the dock.
 
Tama heaved a sigh. “All right, let's get this over with. Got the ticket?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Al - oh, almost forgot! Here; I got you this at the store.” It was a book small enough to fit in the palm of her hand. She handed it to Kagome. “It's a book of all kinds of trees and plants as far west as the Great Mountains. It has an identification key, and tells what's poisonous and what ain't. A start useful, I'd say.”
 
Kagome grinned and stuck the tiny book in her bag. For all she knew, this book could be the difference between life and death.
 
By the time she was out of her trance, Tama had already hopped out of the wagon and was tying Traveler to a tree. Kagome started, scrambling out of the wagon. Tama turned to her and jerked her head in the direction of the boat. They started walking.
 
“Chances are I'll be visiting Sloane at one time or another, so as long as you stay in New Orleans, we'll probably see each other again.”
 
Kagome didn't reply. She was too close to tears as it was, and she didn't want to increase the risk by saying something that would make her want to never leave. They paused when they reached the wooden dock, next to which the Thunderclap rested.
 
Tama turned to Kagome, watching the ground. “I'll tell you something; watch the sky at sunrise and sunset, you hear? If you ever see a red sunset, that means the weather will be good the next day. But if you see a red sunrise, that's a sign for rough weather. Also mind the trees; the leaves being turned upside-down indicates an oncoming storm.” She paused, glancing at the water. “You should probably get going,” she said softly.
 
Kagome lowered her eyes. “Yeah…don't want the boat leaving without me, huh?”
 
Tama smiled gently. “You'll be missed. It won't be the same without you around.”
 
“I'll miss you all, too…”
 
Neither girls spoke for a moment, before Kagome wrapped her younger sibling in a hug. “Good-bye, Tama.”
 
“No word for it.”
 
“What?”
 
Tama smiled up at her, and Kagome saw her sister was crying for what was the first time in living memory. “There ain't no word for goodbye. In my home country of Tehana, we never say the word for `goodbye.' Instead, we say, `We will see each other.' Remember that.”
 
Kagome smiled. “You're from Tehana? Well, that's only-”
 
“Less then one hundred miles west of the Mississippi River in some places. I know. I plan on returning there someday, but I will first go to see you and my brother in New Orleans.” A brief whistle sounded on the boat, announcing five minutes to launch. “Now, you get on that boat before it leaves without you!”
 
Kagome laughed, her tension melted. “Alright, alright, I'm going!” She hugged her sister one last time. “G - I mean, we'll see each other, Tama.”
 
Tama smiled. “We'll see each other.”
 
Kagome took a deep breath, smiled, and made her way over to the boat. She felt as though her legs were made of lead. Slowly, she made her way up the stairs, pausing at the top. A big, bored looking man grunted out a request for her ticket. She handed it to him, and he promptly snatched it away. Kagome stumbled onto the deck of the boat, tears momentarily blinding her. A moment later, however, she had regained her composure. She walked over to the railing where a few more people were standing and waving to their family still on the shore. There was Tama, standing and holding Traveler's reins. Their eyes met briefly, and Tama smiled and waved. Kagome lifted her hand to wave…
 
…and the boat whistle let out a shrill, earsplitting blast, thoroughly scaring the life out of Kagome.
 
Her eyes once again lit on her sister, who was still waving…or attempting to as she lost the battle of containing her laughter. Completely losing her composure at Kagome getting so scared at the whistle, Tama was now using the reins for support, laughing herself senseless. Kagome grinned and shook her head, waving one last time to her sister before disappearing from the railing.
 
She stared around the boat, unsure of where to go. She chewed her lip, glancing around, until a light male voice came from behind her; “Looking for something, miss?”
 
Kagome started, spinning around and coming alarmingly close to losing her balance. The young man who had spoken watched her, his violet colored eyes holding a mixture of curiosity and concern. This surprised Kagome; never in her living memory had she seen such a color eyes. His hair was also slightly longer then what she was accustomed to; even though it was not even past his shoulders and caught in a brief ponytail, she had never seen a man whose hair was more then a few inches long. If his odd eyes and curiously long hair were not enough to raise a few eyebrows in this area, his clothes sure would have been. While most men stuck to light colored blue or white or gray shirts that ended at around the waist, his was of layered clothes that were dyed deep blues and purples, bound loosely at the waist but still extending to his knees. That can not be comfortable in this heat, Kagome grimaced. She shook herself and asked, “H…how does one find their room, exactly?”
 
“May I see your ticket, miss?”
 
Kagome reluctantly relinquished the ticket; if he took it, she would wind up stranded when the boat reached Driftwood. It didn't even occur to her that he couldn't exactly go anywhere on a boat this size, but she was still nervous enough for her judgment to be a bit, shall we say, lacking.
 
He took the ticket and pointed out a small number to her. “That's how you find where you stay. The first number is which deck you're on - deck three, in your case - and the second is your room number.”
 
“Ah.” She took the ticket back. “Thank you.”
 
“Not a problem. If you would like, I can show you to your room; mine is just a few doors down from it.”
 
“That would be nice.” They started across the deck to the rooms. “What is your name?”
 
“Miroku. And you?”
 
Kagome paused, considering. Who could she trust? What if a notice was out for her; that was not an option she would put past her mother. If that happened, anyone who knew her name could easily turn her in. With that in mind, she immediately and frantically cast around for a suitable alias. Unfortunately, all that came to mind was some weird book of Tama's. Unable to think of anything else, she elected to use the name of the books heroine.
 
“Estrellita,” she said lamely, inwardly grimacing at her pathetic stumbling over its' pronunciation. Tama had told her how to say it properly when Kagome finally had it to here with having to mentally blunder over the strange-looking names, but Kagome had a feeling that she had said it wrong anyway.
 
“Estrellita?” Kagome nodded, noting that his pronunciation was much better then hers. “That's a Tehanan name, is it not?” Another nod. “Well, how about that. I live in a monetary in the northern part of Tehana; I was sent here for some mission work and am returning home. What part are you from?”
 
Kagome panicked, but forced a calm countenance. “I've always lived here. My parents came here when I was a child, and I am traveling to…ah…meet my brother down in New Orleans.” Well, it's not like that was really a lie, per se…more of an exaggeration of the truth.
 
He glanced at her, a slight flicker of doubt momentarily distorting his otherwise calm façade; he, perhaps, doubted her story. “And you're brother's name is…?”
 
“Sloane.”
 
“Last name?”
 
Panic seized her for a moment; she couldn't think of a suitable Tehanan surname to give the man. Fortunately, it was at that moment that they had arrived at Kagome's room. “Ah, here we are! Be right back.”
 
Kagome quickly ducked into her room, heart thudding. She mentally slapped herself, retaining her composure enough to shut the door. Once shut, she sprinted over to the small bed, never taking in her surroundings, and opened her bag, removing the contents. “Come on, help me, Tama,” she whispered, knowing full well that there was nothing that her sister could do. She extracted the small knife from Tama, and saw something etched on the handle: S.A.E.J.C.C. Long name, Kagome thought. She shook her head, looking around for something else that would help. She stood, despairing, when she thought of something: I wonder how she signed the note to Sloane…?
 
She frantically seized the pouch at her neck, jerking out the note and unfolding it, her eyes shooting to the bottom of the page. Sure enough, she saw, in her sister's familiar quick-paced cursive, Your Sister, Saoirse Chavarria.
 
Thank you, Tama! Kagome hastily refolded the note and stuffed in back in the pouch before hearing a knock at the door and Miroku's voice calling to her: “Miss Estrellita? Are you alright? There is a visitor for you.”
 
Kagome frowned lightly. Who…? She walked over to the door, and what she saw knocked the wind out of her.
 
Souta? What the-?
 
She swore and knelt, seizing his arm. “Souta, what the hell are you doing here?”
 
“Hey, sis! I just-”
 
“Is there a problem?”
 
Kagome looked up smiling nervously at Miroku. “No, no, no problem! What were we talking about, now?” She pushed Souta into her room, giving him a you-have-a-LOT-of-explaining-to-do look.
 
Miroku frowned lightly. “And who was that?”
 
“Just my little brother…um…” Come on, what's another name… “…Charro.”
 
“Ah.” He paused. “You were going to tell me about you're surname. That would be…?”
 
“Chavarria,” she said promptly, smiling. She was worried that he would still question her, but he merely gave her a small smile and said. “Wonderful to meet you, Miss Estrellita. I'm sure I'll see you and young Charro again.”
 
“It was nice to meet you too, sir,” Kagome smiled, sliding into her room, shutting the door, turning to her brother…
 
…and letting him have it.
 
“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?”
 
Souta seemed unfazed by her outburst. “How come he called you Estr-”
 
“Don't change the subject! Why are you here? Better yet, how did you get on the boat?”
 
Souta shrugged; Kagome vaguely wondered why it was that whenever Tama yelled at any of their siblings, they shut up and listened, but when Kagome started to yell they simply shrugged it off. “I bought a ticket.”
 
Kagome stared. “Explain. Now.”
 
Souta sat on the bed. “Well, when I went to the barn to find Tama, I heard that you were going away. I didn't want to stay at home without you, so I ran inside, got some money-”
 
“Whoa, whoa, where did you get the money from?”
 
“Momma and Poppa's room.”
 
“YOU STOLE FROM OUR PARENTS?” She groaned, sitting down. “How much?”
“I dunno. About ten gold pieces, I guess. Anyway, I came back to the barn and climbed into the wagon and hid under the bed. At first I was scared `cause I thought you'd see me and yell at me, but then you hid behind the table and couldn't see nothin'. When we got there and Tama went to get the tickets, you were sitting up front, so I snuck out and hid behind a tree until y'all left. When Tama got back, I heard her say that you were going to go to New Orleans. So when y'all left, I just went and got a ticket to New Orleans and went on the boat to wait for you. When you got on the boat, I hid so you wouldn't see me. I was gonna go up to you once we started off, but you walked away too fast and I couldn't find you `till I saw you come in here.” He paused. “And that's what happened.”
 
Kagome swore again, kicking the wall. “Stupid, stupid, stupid…”
 
“Kagome?”
 
She turned to him. “I guess it's too late to get you on shore now…” she groaned. “I don't really see any other option but for you to come with me.”
 
“YES! Oh, thank you, Kagome!”
 
Sh!” She glanced at the door. “Listen, I don't want to risk someone recognizing us, so until we reach New Orleans, I'm Estrellita and you're…shoot, what did I say? Charro. You got that?”
 
“Uh-huh.”
 
“Good. Now let's go, I want to look around the deck a bit.”
 
When they left the room, the sun had already began its' decent into the western sky. Kagome's cabin was on the side of the deck that faced the river's northern bank. She and Souta started walking to the bow of the boat, where Miroku was standing. Kagome glanced across to the other side of the boat and saw her house on the opposite side of the river. Her stomach clenched and she promptly slid into the shadows until they had passed before going over to where Miroku was standing. She leaned lightly against the railing, her eyes surveying the sunset. Miroku glanced down at her. “Are you and your brother all settled in?”
 
“Mm-hm.” Kagome remembered that she still had to open that last package that Tama had given her before she boarded the boat. She focused her eyes on the breathtaking sunset. The sun itself had disappeared beneath the trees, but the sky was still colored a peaceful, muted cherry hue.
 
Red sky at night…
 
Kagome turned to look behind her. Although the sky to the west was clear and red, the sky to the east looked like it was coated in steel, angry thunderclouds pressing in over the landscape. Miroku followed her gaze. “Hm. Looks like we're going to get a storm.”
 
Kagome nodded briefly in agreement. “Sure does.”
 
Break
 
The next few weeks seemed to pass both slowly and quickly. Kagome had returned to her cabin that first night and unwrapped the last package to find a sketchpad of strong, sturdy paper along with a dazzling array of brightly colored pencils. With these, Kagome found it quite impossible to be bored.
 
She always made sure to get up early enough to see the sunrise, and to be outside when the sun set. Sometimes she would bring out her sketchbook and colored pencils to create a rendering of the fiery display that unfolded each morning and evening. So far, Tama had been right; whenever Kagome saw a red sunset, the weather the next day was ideal, but when it was the sunrise that was red, a more turbulent climate claimed the day, usually involving heavy rain, thunder, and lightening.
 
During the day, when Kagome wasn't sketching, she divided her time between reading and wandering the deck. She delved deep into Walden - despite the fact that she had already read it at least ten times over - and flipped through the small book she had received for identifying trees and plants. When not reading, she wandered around the deck, sometimes with Miroku, sometimes with her brother, and sometimes by herself.
 
Each circumstance under which she wandered on the deck created a different atmosphere. When she was with Miroku, she found herself able to laugh more easily then ever before. She quickly discovered that he was a complete pervert after he attempted to grope (or, as she so bluntly put it, molest) her in what was only their second day in acquaintance. He had that bruise for over a week; after that, he was cautious to make sure that she was not holding anything when he came near. Namely hardcover books. Despite his perversion, the two became fast friends. They had similar interests, as they both loved reading and learning new things. Kagome's book on plants fascinated Miroku, and the two spent a full day pouring over it the first time Kagome showed it to him. When not reading next to the railing, they wandered the deck, greeting others and occasionally joining into other conversations. Even without his (failed) attempt to fondle Kagome, she would have still found out about his twisted way of thinking simply from his input from the conversations that they joined, which was usually a snide comment that had a double meaning. After one week, Kagome had become thoroughly convinced that her new friend could find a hundred innuendos in a church sermon. The two became good friends, and Kagome felt guilty about not telling him the truth about who she was. She consoled this guilt when she started to suspect that he was keeping something as well; the second day, she had noticed a piece of cloth wrapped around his right hand and arm, secured there by a strand of beads. When questioned about it, Miroku just smiled and said it was part of his beliefs, although his inability to meet her eyes when he said this revealed his excuse to be a lie. But Kagome dropped the subject quickly, not wanting to press an issue if he didn't want to speak of it, and simply tried to enjoy her time with him.
 
Her walks with Souta were slightly different. Her little brother was less inclined to pause next to random people and point out a double meaning in something that was just said and more likely to just run around on the deck, completely enthralled in almost everything that he came across. When the two were together, the most common phrase that could be heard was, “Hey, sis, come and look at this!” Kagome felt slightly more mature when she was with her brother, and found herself enjoying his company, as incessantly annoying as it could be.
 
When neither of her companions was available for whatever reason, Kagome would simply wander the deck by herself, taking in the silence and splendor of nature around her. This was her time, where she could think without interruption and contemplate things that were bothering her, typically relating to where her life was going. Most of her musings were devoted to what her life would be like when she reached New Orleans and whether she would ever see her family or home again. Several days, she meditated on how she would spend the rest of her life. She was certain that she would spend her time in New Orleans, but what, specifically, would she do? Get a job? Settle down and get married, start a family? The latter sounded like the more appealing of the two; she had always wanted a family, and going to New Orleans opened a lot of doors for her; back home, there had been a grand total of ten boys her age, not counting the ones that resided in the actual towns; she didn't know them that well. All things considered, she had really been quite limited. The prospect of moving to a strange city filled with strange people and living with a strange man troubled - okay, terrified - her, but at the same time, she now had so many more possibilities as to where her life could lead. It was kind of like having to treat a sick animal, only to have it turn out to have babies; a blessing hidden in what first appeared to be a curse.
 
At night, her, Miroku, and Souta would go out onto the deck, watch the sky, and listen to the small band that set up shortly after sunset. While some people took the opportunity to dance to the lively music, Kagome was more then content to simply watch the moon and stars with her brother and friend.
 
All too soon, their journey neared its end. After they had been on the boat about a week, Miroku questioned her, “What direction are you headed once we hit Driftwood?”
 
“South on the Mississippi. You?”
 
He grimaced. “West on the Missouri.”
 
“Oh, no! We'll be separated. Well, S - Charro's just going to have a fit, I'll tell you that much.”

Miroku smiled. “Don't fret, Miss Estrellita. I'm sure our paths will cross again.”
 
The next week passed with a rapidness that surprised Kagome, and all too soon, the Thunderclap had pulled into port at driftwood. While Miroku was staying in town a few days, Kagome and Souta's boat, the Blue Moon, was leaving within the same hour that the Thunderclap docked. Souta was not a happy camper.
 
“How come you gotta leave, Mister Miroku?” he pouted, shoulders sagged and bag clutched loosely in his grasp.
 
Miroku smiled. “Because I need to go up the Missouri. I'll miss you, though.”
 
Kagome looked at the boat over her shoulder. “Charro, we had better go.”
 
He gazed at her glumly for a moment, turning back to Miroku and wrapping him a hug that encircled his waist. “'Bye, mister Miroku.”
 
“We'll see each other, Charro.”
 
Once Souta stepped away from Miroku, Kagome walked over to wrap him in a brief hug. When she felt something moving a little too far down her back for her liking, she jerked back, punching him in the shoulder. “Pervert!”
 
He grinned. “I assure you, Miss Estrellita, our paths shall cross once again. We'll see each other.”
 
She smiled. “We'll see each other.” She turned to find her brother. It was still the early morning; the sun wasn't even up yet. What were they thinking, scheduling a boat to leave at this hour? She caught sight of Souta, waved one last time to Miroku, and rushed over to her brother. “Come on, Charro, let's get on the boat before it leaves without us.”
 
They stumbled over to the boat in the near non-existent pre-dawn light, boarding the Blue Moon and showing their tickets to the man waiting on the deck. As soon as they were cleared to get on the boat, Kagome and Souta meandered over to the railing. Kagome scanned the lantern-lit crowd until she identified Miroku, grinning and waving upon catching her eye. She smiled and waved back when the boat whistle blasted, causing her to jump. Again. She glanced down and saw Miroku was laughing at her and her brittle nerves. Shaking the feeling of déjà vu from her, she seized Souta's hand and pulled him along the railing to find their room. Souta looked over the railing and, upon seeing the eastern sky, gasped and tugged at her sleeve. “Sis, look!”
 
She followed his finger to the first rays of sunrise, her breath catching as she watched the bloody streams of crimson light race across the sky.
 
That entire day, clouds hovered low over the land, glaring down at them threateningly. Kagome acknowledged her nervousness; the sunrise was the reddest that she had ever seen it, and what with these clouds…God only knew what kind of trouble they could be hurled into. While Souta was content to simply run around and explore this new deck, Kagome found herself seated on the railing, armed with her sketchpad and gazing at the shoreline…although she did very little sketching. Instead, she found herself listening to the conversations of the other passengers; unlike on the Thunderclap, where talk centered around crops and gossip and the like, the people here were concerned with more important matters, mostly regarding the royal family and politics of Tehana, the country where Kagome was claiming to be from.
 
“Just went on ahead and killed her, no remorse…”
 
“…say that's why he's trying to hunt him down an' all…”
 
“The elder one's considering giving the throne to…”
 
By the snippets of the conversation, Kagome learned a bit about Tehana and its' royal family; Tehana was inhabited not only by humans, but also heavily by demons. Admittedly, there were demons here, too, but with less frequency; Kagome knew only one, and that was crazy Mr. Jackson, from Tara. He was old, and barley spoke English; Tama would sometimes stop and speak to him in Tehanan, and he would respond, so Kagome assumed that that was his home country. But aside from Tama and a few others who spoke the language, he remained secluded and spoke to no one.
 
But in Tehana, the demons were much more frequent and welcome…and less hostile to humans, by the sound of it. Here, demons - as rare as they were - were known to attack humans who wandered from the beaten path. But these Tehanan demons seemed more civilized; she learned that their royal family was, in fact, a demon family. Now there was two heirs to the throne, and they had traveled here for training - or something to that effect. But one had killed someone in a rage, and was on the run, the other sibling attempting to hunt them down. But even though she listened carefully, Kagome was unable to pick up the names of anyone in the royal family.
 
Around supper, they started to hear grumbling in the distance, and by the time it was completely dark, lightening flickered.
 
Kagome was sitting in her cabin, reading. She had yet to unpack, her bag still shut and fixed on her arm. The wind had long since been howling, and she could hear rain falling and thunder snarling. Once again, Tama was correct about the sky. Kagome sat silently on her bed, glancing up at Souta who was resting silently in a corner and playing with a small top.
 
There was a loud, abrupt bang on the door, causing the two siblings to jump. They stared silently at the door, warily waiting for something to happen. Moments later, the ship gave a violent lurch, jerking sharply to the left and tilting the floor, causing Kagome and Souta to fall to the floor. Kagome stumbled to her feet, pulling her brother up. “What was that?”
 
She shook her head. “I don't know…probably just the storm. I'm going to go check. Don't leave the cabin!” bag still slung on her arm, Kagome jerked the door open and stumbled out into the storm.
 
The scene before her could be described simply as “apocalyptic.” Everyone on deck was scrambling around on the drenched deck, lightening breaking the sky and thunder shaking the landscape. A swell from the river barged into the boat, causing it to lean heavily to one side. Gravity pushed Kagome into a wall. She pushed away from it, stumbling onto the deck. She saw a worker on the boat and asked him something that was, if not the stupidest thing that she had ever said, at least made the top ten:
 
“What's going on?”
 
He glanced at her. “This storm; ain't never seen one so big. You bess' get back to your room before-”
 
Kagome wasn't listening to him anymore. Her attention was now focused on the young boy stumbling over to them. She rushed over to him, seizing his arm. “What are you doing? Go, get back to the cabin, now!” She gave him a push in what she prayed was the right direction when a particularly violent lurch from the ship sent her flying into the railing of the ship, which brings us to where we started: Kagome hanging on for her life, panicking over her child brother.
 
Still gripping the railing, she stared across the deck, shrieking her brother's name, “SOUTA! SOUTA! SOUTA!
 
“Kagome!”
 
Kagome sprawled, her eyes resting on her younger brother as he stumbled over to her, falling against her. She wrapped her free arm around him, thanking God that he was alive and alright, and started to push away from the railing.
 
No sooner had her hand left the railing when another lurch made her fall back against it. A few inches to her right, something had slammed into the railing. She never found out what it was, but whatever it was, it was strong and heavy enough to break through the railing. Her lack of balance made the task of stumbling off of the deck that much easier.
 
She yelped when her brain registered the lack of solid wood under her feet, one arm grasping her brother and the other grabbing desperately for something - anything - to hold onto. Miracle of miracles, her hand found a strip of metal railing. Of cold, rain-drenched metal railing that was hanging from the deck from a proverbial thread.
 
When Kagome saw the thin strip of metal that was all that separated them from life and the angry, storm tossed river, she somehow managed to become even more panicked. I can't let Souta get hurt, she thought defiantly, looking down at the boy. Taking a deep breath, she shifted her grip to his wrist and allowed him to drop a few feet before stopping, hanging there above the river. With her brother's sudden stop, the metal holding them there groaned dangerously. Kagome bit her lip and gathered all of her strength, swinging her arm upward and causing Souta to land on the deck. When his hand left hers, she smiled triumphantly, fully aware that under any other circumstance she wouldn't have been able to do that. Amazing what adrenalin could make a person do.
 
But just as she was preparing to pull herself up, she heard a strange grating sound from somewhere above her. She tilted her head up, and what she saw made her stomach turn and her heart stop: the thread of metal that held her there was twisting dangerously, growing weaker, until…
 
Kagome watched as the metal finally twisted free. She blinked in surprise, her hand reflexively tightening around her still-present bag; she felt the need to hold onto something. Time slowed as she started her decent to the river, gazing up at her brother, the bewilderment in his eyes reflecting in her own. Finally, reality clicked in for the boy. His eyes widened as her watched her plummet to the river. “Kagome! KAGOME!”
 
His voice was the last thing that she remembered before she was claimed by the churning water below.