InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Scrapbook ❯ The Dance ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own Inuyasha and I make no money from these stories.


6 - The Dance - Purple

It was hard enough learning to share her with others as she made more and more friends. He should have expected her popularity. She was such a sweet girl with a bubbly personality that seemed to attract everyone to her. It nearly killed him when she started to date. He’d just about worked up the nerve to tell her how he really felt about her, but he was too late.

They were in sixth grade when he’d decided to bite the bullet and tell her the truth. He’d asked all his friends for advice and planned everything he was going to say and now it was time. When the phone rang, he picked it up instantly.

“Hello?”

“Roku! You won’t believe it! I have something really exciting to tell you!”

He smiled then, even though she couldn’t see. He couldn’t help it. When she was happy he was happy, at least that was the way it had always worked before. “I have something to tell you too, but you go first.”

“Okay! Inuyasha asked me to the school dance!” she nearly squealed into the phone.

For a moment Miroku was speechless while his thoughts ran at high speed. ‘That bastard! He knew I was going to tell her tonight! He knew and he asked her out anyway!’ He wanted to scream, yell, and cry, but instead he forced his voice to hold steady. “That’s great, Kagome,” he said, trying his best not to sound sarcastic.

“So what did you have to tell me?” she asked sweetly.

Miroku searched around for an answer for a moment. He obviously couldn’t tell her now! “I… um… I wanted to tell you that I got an A on yesterday’s test.” By the tone of her voice he knew she was skeptical, but she didn’t push. If he didn’t want to tell her she wouldn’t try to make him.


+-+-+-+-+-+-


The hanyou was touching her again. Ever since she’d told him about Inuyasha asking her to the dance, every single day he’d been forced to watch Inuyasha with his arm around her. He wanted nothing more than to rip that arm right off and beat him to death with it! If that wasn’t enough, Inuyasha, who he’d thought was his friend, was not being a good winner. He was always rubbing Miroku's nose in it.

“Roku?” Kagome called, catching his attention that had moments before been focused on imagining the many different ways he could kill the hanyou who stole the love of his life right out from under him. “Are you alright? You’ve been kinda distant and… moody lately.”

Beside her, Inuyasha snorted out a laugh. “He’s just upset that he doesn’t have a date to the dance.”

Kagome didn’t notice the subtext in that sentence, missed the tension completely, instead focusing on who she could hook him up with.


+-+-+-+-+-+-


Kagome had eventually settled on her friend Yuka and the two decided to get ready for the dance together at Kagome’s house, which forced Miroku to associate with Inuyasha when they picked the girls up together, Inuyasha’s father being the one to drive them.

When the girls came down the stairs, the first thing out of Inuyasha’s mouth was a complaint about how girls always took too long to get ready. Miroku didn’t say a thing, couldn’t say a thing. He could barely breathe. She was absolutely beautiful in her purple dress and he couldn’t keep his eyes off her.

Kagome’s mom had played the excited mother part perfectly, taking a whole roll’s worth of pictures. She took some of Kagome and Inuyasha, some of Miroku and Yuka, and even more of Kagome and Miroku together. Again it seemed like Kagome was blind to him, as they stood side by side he didn’t look at the camera. He was too busy gazing at her with a look that just screamed love and devotion.


+-+-+-+-+-+-


Kagome was pouting. Why had Inuyasha invited her to a dance if he didn’t want to dance with her? Yuka was doing her best to catch Miroku's attention, to let him know that she wanted to dance, but he flat out ignored her, offering to dance with Kagome instead.

“Roku?” she asked while they swayed slowly to the music. “Why is it that you’re always there for me when I need you?”

He looked into her eyes and the words were suddenly there, right on the tip of his tongue. Just as he sucked in a breath to say ‘Because I love you,’ Inuyasha was suddenly standing beside them clearing his throat. He hadn’t cared to dance with her, but he refused to allow her to dance with anyone else, especially someone he knew for a fact was in love with her.

“Why don’t you go dance with your date and I’ll dance with mine?” Inuyasha said darkly.

Miroku wanted to protest, to remind her that Inuyasha had refused to dance with her earlier, but when he saw the light in her eyes, how she looked so happy that Inuyasha wanted to dance with her; he forced himself to just walk away. He wanted her to be happy above all else, and if it was Inuyasha who made her happy… well he would just have to live with it.