InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Scrapbook ❯ Revelations ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own Inuyasha and I make no money from these stories.

9 - Revelations - Pink

Miroku flipped through the next few pages, seeing pictures from parties and dances, football games and track meets, and just about everything else they did during high school. She’d dated Bankotsu from the summer between tenth and eleventh grade until the middle of their senior year, but this time the breakup was amicable. Miroku never did find out why she’d ended it. He hadn’t bothered this time. He didn’t even try to find a way to tell her how he felt. He knew it would just backfire on him in some other guy’s favor. He was sure that she would never be his. She would never see him as anything more than a friend. It killed him to think like that, but it was obviously the truth.

He paused when he flipped the page, only to be face with plain black and white, no stickers, no colorful embellishments, no photos, just four words. ‘I should have known.’ Eyes widening, Miroku quickly flipped to the next page. It was covered in nothing but pictures. There was a picture from their ‘wedding’, a picture from Kindergarten, a picture from when they had chicken pox, and a picture of a basketball game.

When he turned the page he found more words. ‘The way you looked at me, the way you looked at everyone else… I should have known.’ Flipping back, he noticed what she was talking about. In the wedding picture, he was completely focused on her. He didn’t even notice the camera. In the picture from Kindergarten, he was holding her hand while scowling at the other kids. In the chicken pox snapshot, she was sleeping and he was just looking at her, like he was watching her sleep. He was giving the evil eye to both Inuyasha and Kouga in the one taken during one of their basketball games and it was obvious the two were staring at her instead of focusing on the game.

The next page was covered with pictures from the dance; the one Inuyasha took her to, and from earlier that night. Again it was obvious. Miroku was enthralled by her and he wasn’t looking at the camera in any of the pictures. There were some that were taken by her friends during the actual dance and when he was dancing with her he looked like there was no place he would rather be. When Inuyasha cut in, the anger and jealousy on his face was obvious. When he danced with his own date, it looked like he wasn’t even there, instead gazing longingly at her.

Another page covered with photos, this one of all the time she was dating Inuyasha and then Kouga. They all showed the same thing, his distaste for her boyfriends and his obvious adoration of her. The following one had pictures of her with Bankotsu, and this time he didn’t look jealous. He didn’t look longingly at her. He just looked empty.

Finally he flipped to the final page and his eyes widened once again. In the middle of the page was a picture of the two of them that she’d cut into a heart, layered over another, slightly larger pink one, and around it were more words written in her beautiful handwriting. ‘I should have seen it. I should have known. But now it’s gone, the feeling is gone from your eyes. Is it too late? Did I notice it too late? Or are the feelings still there? If they are, come find me. It took me a while to realize it and to admit it, but I love you too, Miroku. You have always been so much more than just my best friend.’

In seconds, he dropped the book and was running out his bedroom door. He almost ran right past her where she stood in the middle of his living room, like she was waiting for him. She was, he realized then. She was waiting for him, for him and no one else. And then she was in his arms with his face buried in her hair. “I thought I didn’t have a chance; that it wasn’t meant to be. Every time I tried to tell you…”

Kagome shushed him gently, looking straight into his eyes. “I should have seen it,” she whispered before brushing her lips across his.

“It doesn’t matter. All that matters is that you see it now. I love you, Kagome. I have loved you every single day of my life and I love you more each day.” Finally he said it. Finally those words that had eaten away at him for all those years were released and he was free of the ache in his chest that he’d grown used to. Finally he got to kiss her and it was better than he’d ever imagined.