InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Time has Come ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Time Has Come
Golden Foxfyre

Disclaimer: Have I ever claimed to own Inuyasha? No, never.


Chapter 10

(Six years later)


A thunderous knocking startled the now eight-year-old hanyou into a crouch. He hadn't even heard them coming! His ears went flat as his mother set down his fussing sister and went to the door.

"Inuyasha, please hold Setsuki." Izayoi requested. Once he had his younger sister secure in his lap, she pushed aside the reed mat serving as a door. "Is something wrong?" she queried. Then she noticed that these men were a scruffy bunch in older and well-beaten armor. A flash of fear went through her; fear for her children. These men were ronin, and wouldn't hesitate to kill hanyou, even if they were children.

One grabbed her by the arm, jerking her out of the house. Suddenly, the sounds of a scuffle came from inside. There was a flurry of cursing, then three ronin came out; one dragging an openly sobbing six-year-old Setsuki, two others dragging an enraged Inuyasha. His struggling was so great that he nearly broke free on more than one occasion.

"She's the one we're looking for. Only that demon-loving bitch wouldn't have killed these worthless hanyou when they were born." the one dragging Setsuki snarled.

Izayoi struggled to pull away from the ronin holding her back. This was far too much like what Take-maru of Sestuna had done for her comfort. Fortunately, that was before all of this had ever happened. She had to get to her children. They were in danger. Anger rose in her as she continued to struggle.

A deep, rumbling laugh sounded, startling Izayoi still. The ronin parted to reveal the son of a rival daimyo. His eyes gleamed coldly as they settled on the house that had sheltered these abominations for so long. "Torch it." he commanded.

"NO!" Izayoi cried, resuming her struggles against the restraining arms. "Don't! That's the only home we have!"

The ronin ignored her. Three sets of eyes widened as their home caught fire.

Now she recognized him. Katsuhito, son of Masaki. That lord had often tried to take Musaishi from her father. Once, he even tried it by having Katsuhito marry her while planning to kill her father and older brother.

"Lord Katsuhito, stop this! We haven't done anything to you!"

Katsuhito walked over and harshly slapped her, his cold eyes gleaming. "You aren't worthy of your title, bitch. How could you even let those abominations live?" 'You'll pay, Izayoi. So will your family. No one snubs me like that. No one.' "Chain them." He commanded.

Shackles were snapped around their wrists and ankles, biting into their flesh. It took three ronin to hold Inuyasha down while they chained him. He was much stronger than what he looked. The chains at their wrists were tugged, causing them to stumble over the root-ribbed ground. A sheathed sword hit them across their backs to get them moving faster.

The ronin wanted to get away from here swiftly, and with good reason. Lord Mamoru, Izayoi's brother, would be arriving in the morning to visit them. His wrath would be great if he caught them with his sister and her children.

Inuyasha bit back a growl, knowing his family would suffer for it. They continued to stumble over the ground. 'There has to be some way out of this mess. Come on, think!' Setsuki's whimpering broke through his thoughts. He instinctively understood what each sound meant. Golden eyes took on a slight gleam. 'That's it! Now, if only Sesshomaru is near.'

He sifted through the scents of the forest, ignoring the rancid stench of the men around them. There. His brother's distinct scent floated through the air, along with that of a toad youkai, most likely Jaken. 'Good. They're close.' Inuyasha waited for a root to come into his path, then purposely tripped over it while releasing a yelp he knew his mother understood.

Hope briefly flickered in Izayoi's eyes. Sesshomaru was near, and she knew he would protect her children at least, because they were family to him. Even with his anger, he wouldn't let them die because of mortals. Briefly, she thought of raising a barrier then decided against it. Someone was in this group that was capable of breaking any barrier she could cast. Better to not risk it.

After hours of stumbling through the darkness, the company made camp. The three they had chained they secured to the ground with stakes driven deep through the links of the chain. Others set up the tents they had with them while others started several small campfires.

Inuyasha took advantage of their activity to prepare himself to call his brother. There had been times before when he felt his brother watching; even while he hunted for his mother and sister.

When the noise became painful to his ears, he released a howl. The ronin laughed, becoming louder in their work. Doing his best to ignore them, he continued to howl.

Finally, an answering howl reached his ears. Relieved, he began to tell his brother what was happening. Inuyasha was cut off in mid-howl by the hilt of a katana striking his cheek. He turned to the wielder, glaring angrily while a purpling mark rapidly appeared where he had been struck.
A growl rumbled in his chest, too low for men to hear it. Hopefully, Sesshomaru would realize what had cut him off and come quickly.