InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Trouble With Love Is... ❯ Dare I Think ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Last time…

He noticed she was inching closer to him, and instinctively growled in warning.

"It's alright," she tried to ease his discomfort, "I only want to help you. Let me?" she asked him hopefully, the concern for his well-being apparent in her eyes.

He found that odd, though he knew he shouldn't. She was a miko, after all, and they were natural healers. Still, it was surprising that she would wish to heal his wounds even after all the times he tried to kill her and his brother.

Though still a bit suspicious, he nodded his consent…

Harsh breathing met with trickles of sweat about the dark-lined brow, melding with swift, soundless movements in the thick, humid air. The space enclosed, the tension high as blow after blow met the oblivious, beaten target. Stronger, faster with each blow that came, the adversary grew more bold. The world twirls backwards again, the non-existent sound of soft padded feet hitting the floor with a light tap. Silken garments flap in the wind created by the swing of a staff as it struck out faster than the lightening that blasted it's eternal trail across the sky.

Yet and still the countenance slipped into an expression as cold and blank as winter's first chilling kiss. Still and without thought to the deft movements like a dance of death, delivered by the daintiest hands. There was no plan, no map to give direction, only a rhythm seemingly implanted at birth.

And then it all came to a sudden stop… the enemy defeated, the weapon sheathed, the victory obtained…

The sound of clapping could be heard, echoing through the expansive room, it's rhythm purposefully slow in the assured effort to gain attention.

The reverberating sound was enough to snap Kagome out of her seeming trance, body swiveling immediately towards the source.

"And just how long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough to watch you destroy yet another of my decoys," came the stoic reply, though an undertone of light amusement could be heard.

Kagome merely huffed and turned her back on her uninvited guest, walking towards the weapons wrack to replace the staff she'd been using.

"Don't get me started, Sesshoumaru. I'm already upset with you as it is," she said as she began walking back towards him.

"How can that be? You have not seen me for the duration of three day."

"Exactly my point! How is it that you invite someone to your home, and just leave them high and dry for three days? That's just bad hosting."

She stood directly in front of him, looking quite blatantly into his golden eyes.

"Since when have you cared about my capabilities as a host?" he asked as an ivory brow rose into the folds of matching bangs.

"Since I am the guest," she said, emphasizing every word with a poke to his chest.

He said nothing in return as he stood, towering over her petite person by at least a head or more. Molten orbs of gold bore down into blue-gray in an unrelenting gaze…

That was, of course, only seconds before the icy façade melted from his beauteous features and bore a small grin. He just couldn't seemed to maintain himself around her…

Kagome eeped as she found herself enveloped in a warm embrace. His strong arms and fluffy tail seemed to form a cocoon around her, lifting her off her feet in an attempt to pull her closer.

His sudden show of affection instantaneously dissolved her agitation, sighing as she him burrow his nose in her hair. For someone who was supposed to be the cold and merciless taiyoukai of the West, the guy gave the best hugs.

Kagome giggled slightly as he lightly sniffed her hair, causing a gentle tickling sensation upon her scalp.

Laughing, she finally spoke. "Alright already, I forgive you. But of course you know, that doesn't exactly mean you're off the hook."

Sesshoumaru smirked in her hair, giving her one last affectionate squeeze before placing her on her feet once more. He did not, however, remove his tail. Instead, he let it settle comfortably around her waist as he lead her out of the practice area.

"Really now?" he asked mockingly, though his eyes softened a fraction when settled upon her.

"Yes, really. You're definitely going to have to make this one up to me. Especially after giving me that crap about Rin wanting to see me when you knew she and Jaken were away somewhere," she huffed, crossing hers over her chest in finality, though her expression clearly held amusement and… dare he even think it… a barely noticeable trace of affection?

He cast that thought aside as quickly as it came. There was no point in dwelling on a subject that he hadn't truly figured out for himself. True, he knew his feelings were beyond that of friendship, but how far, he wasn't sure.

He thought no more of it as he led her down the hall towards the dining room. Knowing Kagome, she would want to eat after training session. He might have smirked at the thought, but worry began to line his usually flawless features as her scent wafted to him. It was the same irresistible scent of lavender and vanilla with an undertone of something spicey and exotic, but at the moment it was laced with a heavy sadness.

Sesshoumaru felt a growl resonating from deep within his chest, threatening to rise if he did not push it down. He knew what thoughts caused her sorrow, and it took his entire being not to make haste to Inuyasha's Forest. He wasn't quite sure what stopped him; either it was the fact that Kagome would not be very happy with him if her hurt the whelp or the small hand resting on his arm at the moment.

It was then that he noticed they'd stopped in the middle of the hall. Looking down, he noticed her thin, dark brow was creased in worry, looking up into his eyes questioningly.

"Sesshoumaru?"

He sighed, raising a hand to caress the side of her face, wondering for what seemed the thousandth time how his brother could constantly compare someone so indescribably beautiful to a dead woman.

"You are depressed," he said stoically, though his voice held a soft undertone.

Kagome smiled softly, sadly up at him, placing a gentle hand upon the one resting on her face.

"You're really too perceptive for your own good, Sesshou-kun," she said while removing his hand from his face, only to interlace their fingers together. "I'll be fine, really… I guess I just have a lot on my mind. No worries, k?"

Sesshoumaru gave her hand a gentle squeeze as his only answer before silently pulling her down the hall once more, never once letting go of her hand.

****

Kagome sat back against the walls of the bath with a sigh. The heated, lavender-scented water was gloriously relaxing. It seemed to melt away all existing tension from her body. She'd forgotten just how excellent Sesshoumaru's springs were. It still amazed her that this place was built around one of the largest natural springs in the region.

As much as she wanted to, she couldn't stay in there very long, however. She had to meet Sesshoumaru for dinner soon, and she didn't want to be late.

Despite his long absense, she really had enjoyed being here the last four days. It was a pleasant way to escape the pressures of her duties as guardian of the Shikon. In fact, Sesshoumaru had insisted she spend at least a couple of days every month at his home. He mentioned it to be sort of a way to unwind when things were getting too stressful. Kagome smiled serenely at the thought… he was really spoiling her.

Over the past year, Sesshoumaru, of all people, had become her anchor. He held her steadfast, always with his calming and yet powerful presence. He'd taught her many things about herself, made her realize that she was indeed a very useful, very capable person. Unlike Inuyasha…

She shook her head vigorously, trying to banish the thoughts that were beginning to form. It was of no use, however, as she thought back to that faithful conversation four nights ago.

She and Inuyasha had gotten into a little tiff because they hadn't been able to defeat the latest enemy. The plus side, though, was that they acquired three more shards of the Shikon. On the downside of things, the creature had escaped, back into the clutches of Naraku. No doubt it would tell him of their location, which they'd actually been hiding rather well up until then. Needless to say, Inuyasha had been livid.

Everytime she thought about it, she got so angry. She couldn't believe he could be so petty as to get upset with her for saving his worthless life!

**Flashback**

"I can't believe you! How the hell could you let it get away?!"

"Well excuse me for trying to save your ungrateful hide! You know I didn't have enough energy to kill that thing, as big as it was. I didn't see you hopping up to slit the thing's throat, seeing as how you were incapacitated at the time!"

"Oh that's right, I forgot how fucking weak you are!"

"Look who the hell is talking! And of course I was weak, you moron, it takes a lot of magic to perform the spell that attracts the shards, seeing as how you weren't exactly doing the best job of retrieving them yourself!"

"You know what, just shut your trap! We all know you're weak and useless! If it wasn't for you, that damned demon wouldn't have gotten away, end fucking of story! For all your stupid training, you sure as hell spend a lot of time fucking things up than helping!" he practically screamed. However, when he saw the look on Kagome's face, he instantly regretted it.

One would usually expect instant tears from someone as emotionally open as Kagome However, the actual result was a hell of a lot scarier.

Her normally expressive features gradually smoothed themselves over until there was nothing left. The shine was gone from her eyes, and they instead extreme extra amounts of permafrost. Her entire countenance had settled into a cold, emotionless mask as she stared Inuyasha down as if he were nothing.

Inside, however, her emotions were in turmoil. One moment, she was feeling this impending, all encompassing sadness. The next, she was so furious she felt she could breathe fire right in that instant. But she didn't say, or do anything in direction of her emotions. Kagome had merely turned, and walked away, not once listening to Inuyasha's desperate calls for her to come back.

**End Flashback**

Again, Kagome attempted to divest those thoughts from her conscious mind. It wouldn't do her any good to dwell on it now. Besides, she was supposed to be relaxing. She'd worry about all of that when she returned in a couple of days.

Now that she was washed, dried, and fully dressed, it was time to meet her handsome companion for dinner.

A/n: That wasn't really, I know, but bare with me. I'm just getting back my knack for writing since I'm out of school for the summer. Anyway, I'm now working on the next chapter for "The Red" and I've decided not to change the plotline as I have originally planned. Thanks you guys, for reading my crappiness and encouraging me thus far. ,