InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Ups and Downs of Birthdays ❯ The Ups and Downs of Birthdays ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

It was a silly custom, Bankotsu thought. Whoever had invented birthdays obviously did not know what they were thinking. In fact, he thought them to be quite touched in the head.
 
So you were a year older, big deal. It wasn't much of an accomplishment, really. It was just aging; everyone did that, so birthdays really weren't special at all. They weren't worth celebrating anyway. Just one more year, one more rung on the ladder to death.
 
He was having these thoughts, of course, because it was his birthday. He had not told anyone, but due to an announcement on the school intercom that morning, people he were whishing him a happy birthday left and right. How pointless.
 
“Hey there, cutie,” his best friend Jakotsu said. “What's the fact for? You look grumpy.”
 
“It's my birthday.”
 
“Ah, yes, the ever so dreaded birthday.” Bankotsu just nodded at Jakotsu's remark. “You know, I think the only reason you hate birthdays so much is because nobody ever gave you a really nice present on yours.”
 
Bankotsu thoughts about that for a moment. No, that wasn't right. He had never really cared about receiving gifts. If he wanted something, he would get it for himself. It felt more like it belongs to him that way.
 
“No, I don't think that's it,” he said.
 
“You sure?” Jakotsu asked.
 
“I'm sure.”
 
Jakotsu grinned before he leaned forward, quickly stealing a kiss from Bankotsu.
 
“There,” Jakotsu said before making his exit. “I gave you a nice present, so start liking your birthday more, okay?”
 
Bankotsu blushed. It was just a stupid kiss. Insignificant. Not important at all.
 
Although, somehow, eve if he won't admit to it, he maybe, just maybe, might like birthday a little bit more, seeing as the gift-getting part really isn't so bad after all.