InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Way I Am ❯ Age 7. I'll think of a better chapter name later. ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Alright, I've been using this character for a long long time now, and I've decided to even write a fanfiction of her biography. Enjoy.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
`Kid! Hey, kid! Wake up already!'
 
I squeezed my eyes shut as Mayuko's voice was her claw, screeching on the backboards of my mind. I curled my tail close to my body, suddenly aware that I had no blanket. I covered my eyes with my free hand, trying to block out the sun. Not even my metaphors could describe how annoying it was to be woken up this early so suddenly when I had been allowed to sleep as late as I wanted for the last six years. That's a lot when you're my age, seven. Wham, that's a pretty big number, huh? I've lived here pretty much all my life, and I had grown accustomed to the routine of waking up when I wanted, going downstairs to eat what I wanted, going outside for the rest of the day and playing, then coming back in to the empty house to sleep-when I wanted. Mayuko and the other women were normally out `working' by then. Every now and then one would have not found a customer and would stay behind and spend the night there, though we'd rarely speak. I spent little time talking to the women aside from Mayuko and her younger sister, Amarante. Amarante was as brash and rude as some of the other women there, so I avoided her nonetheless. I wasn't yelled at much, just ignored, some kid living amongst women who had kids for a living. All in all, I was a mistake, I decided. At times, Mayuko would act as if she loved me and take my hand, do my hair, or speak to me. But only if none of the other women were present.
 
`Get UP!'
 
I was dragged out of my thoughts with an ugly screeching sound, or maybe that was just the ugly screeching sound of Mayuko's voice? I never knew my father; Mayuko says I have no father, when she herself is my mother. It's strange, but I'll let it pass. She's normally too busy whoring herself off to wake me up, so it must be important.
 
`What?!' I snapped, or wanted to snap, as I sat up, or wanted to sat up. I fell over suddenly as my eyes shot open. Instead of my hand, there was a black paw. I held it to my nose for a second, noticing how far it was from my face. Sometimes, when I wake up, I'm suddenly a wolf. Mayuko's a wolf demoness, so I guess I am, too. I never see her turn into some icky animal at random times, though.
 
Mayuko sighed deeply, noticing that I was a little wolf cub again, literally. `You stupid brat! You weren't supposed to transform!' She fumed, but not loudly. She disappeared down the stairs, leaving me to sit and wait for something interesting to happen. I slumped over, and tried to sleep again. With the familiar creaking of the broken stairs, she came in and bent down beside me as I opened my eyes to see what she was up to. In a moment, I closed them again, as she dumped a large bucket of cold water on my.
 
`Ack!' I wailed as I hugged my knees, sitting up, to keep warm. Wait…Knees? I was humanoid again, a little child shivering and hugging her knees. `What'd you do that for?!' I snarled at Mayuko, as she gave me a wolf pelt to dry off with, and dry off I did. Within moments, she gave me a little black robe to wear, and a white sash to tie around my waist. She helped me get dressed in a hurry, while quickly running what was happening by me. I had no clue what she was talking about, as whatever she said was a murmured and shattered fragment of the real news, and I was left to sort it out myself.
 
When she ushered me downstairs I was still trying to get the water out of my hair. I had an unusual love for my hair, but was disappointed with how short it was. It was about halfway between my ear and neck, straight, and jet black. Waiting by the broken and rotting wooden sliding door was a male wolf demon. I figured he was of higher status, as he didn't smell like this dump did.
 
“This dump” was in fact, my home. It smelled strange, but I had grown accustomed to it. My mother and several other demon women lived here, all very short of money. It was the abandoned `castle' of a lord whom my mother's younger sister had driven out. The beams were breaking, the wood was rotting, and the paper doors were ripping. It wasn't a very good home, and I wasn't quite fond of it. My mother and the other demons work by literally selling themselves, but I'm too busy being angry with them to have pity. What do they want, pity from a little kid?!
 
I was again brought down to earth with an unpleasant thud as the man at the door cleared his throat. His hair was completely and utterly black, and somewhat long, reaching the middle of his back. It fell over one side of his face, concealing one of his eyes from view. I imagined it must be horrid or cursed, his hidden eye, for him to want to shield it from the world. It didn't occur to me that he might just be blind.
 
`This is Hiroshi-sama.' Mayuko introduced him, and a little `Hm.' Of comprehension was my reply. Mayuko began. `He is your father, and he has decided to take you with his pack.'
 
I have to say I was shocked at this. I mean, no one had ever come to see me; I was always allowed to sit around in my room or go outside and find some bug to entertain me. The other women in the house came and went, and I lived in perpetual fear of if Mayuko might not come back one morning. If she left, who would give me food? Back on topic here, what did Mayuko mean by my father? She always said I didn't have a father, I guess I must have suddenly gotten one.
 
Little words were exchanged between us three. Mayuko and Hiroshi-sama didn't seem to want to speak to eachother at all. I certainly couldn't think of what to say. The everlasting awkward silence ended with Hiroshi-sama clearing his throat again, while I decided this habit might be able to become more annoying than Mayuko's yelling. `Shall we go?' Hiroshi-sama asked.
 
At that I left, following him into the woods that surrounded our insufficient dump of a habitat. Mayuko's farewell was short and simple. She waved casually. `Bye.' Was the only word I heard her say before she disappeared back into the shack-castle. I found myself feeling very hurt at this, as if she didn't even care if I left or not, whilst I was her only child. I trudged on behind Hiroshi-sama, careful not to let my robe get caught and rip on some brambles we passed.
 
We walked for hours. While I stayed in my never-ending silence, Hiroshi-sama gave me a rundown of who he was. He led a wolf pack, he said, and about four years ago his mate died. I had a sudden sinking feeling in my heart, understanding why Mayuko didn't wish to speak to him. He had gotten a different woman for a mate when I was only two or three; wouldn't that be why she was so sulky around him? I didn't know I was wrong.
 
He went on, telling me of how he already had a teenage son named Matsu, and a new mate to replace the old one's death. When he told me what species his mate was, I snorted rather loudly.
 
His mate was human.
 
`Kakou?' He asked, somewhat amazed that he had heard a noise from me aside from the crunching of twigs and leaves under my bare feet.
 
Kakou. I desperately wanted to change my name. Who wants to be named after a smell?! Even if it was the smell of flowers, I still found it stupid.
 
`I'm here.' I stated the obvious without really noticing it. I really couldn't think of much else to say.
 
In time, we arrived at Hiroshi-sama's den. The sloping forests began to thin out as we had been walking, making way to large clearings and patches of rocks. Being nimble and quick, we jumped over any rocks we didn't have the willpower to climb. Yes, we were to lazy. I had remarked he had unusual attire for a wolf demon, wearing a long dark green robe to match his one eye with a black overcoat, both garments embroidered with silver around the sleeves. He didn't live in a cave like most wolf demons; he lived in a rather large castle. I wouldn't be surprised if he had used the same technique as my aunt and just flushed humans out of a village for his own pack's use. The castle was, as I said, huge, and situated in a grassy field, with bushes and blossoming trees sprouting here and there. There was a cliff in easy walking distance, maybe a ten minute walk, which Hiroshi-sama and I passed on the way to the castle. I unwittingly looked down, and saw the fantastically horrendous height it was at, and the unpleasant rocks situated at the bottom. I doubted even a demon could survive that fall.
 
It seemed the moment I came in I was pampered. I was given a hot bath and new clothes, practically anything I wanted. I enjoyed the bath; it felt good after the hours of tedious walking. I chose to wear a white robe afterwards, tied with a pale blue obi with all sorts of golden embroidery of flowers and the like here and there. I even found a place to slip my tail out, because keeping it inside the robe was rather uncomfortable.
 
Coming into the hall from getting dressed, I noticed Hiroshi-sama had disappeared, not wanting to wait for me to bathe. How rude, I didn't even know where my room was supposed to be. There was someone else in the hall, though.
 
Another male wolf youkai, his hair was visibly nearly waist-length and a maple brown color. I couldn't see his eye color from where I stood, but I could see he was wearing a blue haori that had a black design on one shoulder. He looked at me for a second, in this time I decided he had to be at least eight or nine years older than me. He turned his head, as if my appearance in his domain was disgusting, and walked off.
 
How strange. I looked to where he had been only moments before, as if he might turn up again, though he didn't. I walked the opposite way, having gotten the message that he didn't want to be around me. I managed to get down two hallways before literally bumping into someone else.
 
This time it was a woman, and I pinpointed her to be around twenty-nine to thirty-one years old. She was dressed in many robes of every shade of red I could imagine with lots of designs. Some also had gold or silver embroidery, too. She was wearing makeup, her eyelids and lips painted dark red. I wrinkled my nose in similar disgust as the boy I had seen earlier. She was human. Her hair was long, silky, and black, I noticed as it fell over her shoulders when she looked down at me. `Oh, excuse me…You must be Kakou?' She asked. Her voice, I decided, was a lot less annoying than Mayuko's, and it must sound beautiful when she sings. I hoped that when I finally grew to her age, I would have a voice like that.
 
`Yes.' I said simply, again unable to think of what to say.
 
She closed her soft brown eyes halfway, regarding me with a happy expression. `I'm so happy to have a little girl here…Lately Matsu-chan has been so secluded…My name is Misao, very nice to meet you.'
 
`It's a pleasure.' I replied, every drop of icy sarcasm that was dripping from my words showing that it was not a pleasure at all. I supposed maybe, if I tried, I could make an exception and take a liking to this sickening human. All humans are sickening, Mayuko would warn me. I took her worthless word for it, giving Misao a thorough yellow-gold glare to show we weren't immediately to be on the same terms.
 
`Would you like me to show you your room?' Misao asked, kind as ever. I nodded in reply.
 
She extended her arm, and I noticed in mortifying shock that she was offering to take my hand, something Mayuko would never do unless she was sure no one was around. Reluctantly, I wrapped my tiny clawed fingers around the index finger of her right hand, letting her walk me to my room.
 
My room was very nice, lots of space with no rotting walls whatsoever. I had my own little futon rolled out near a huge window that if Mayuko, I, and every other woman in the dump I had just left tried to jump out at the same time, we would succeed without the slightest difficulty. The window had sliding `doors' to it, and I looked outside at the grounds, past a huge and fragrant blossoming cherry tree. There seemed to be some much more I could do out there, pick flowers, chase bugs, it'd be paradise.
 
`May I please go outside?' I politely asked Misao, who was straightening some of the new robes I had been given.
 
Her answer was short and simple. `No. You're so cute; I cannot let others outside the castle see you.' Her words oozed of sweetness, which was even more frightening than my icy sarcasm. Damn, she was good.
 
`You're kidding me.' I said in an I'm-not-amused tone, and watched in horror as she shook her head. I didn't believe I could possibly be that cute, or that she could possibly be that greedy. I sighed, upset, looking longingly out the huge window and watching the sun set. I had never really understood the fuss about how pretty the sunset was, though.
 
Misao left me as I watched the sun set in brilliant shades of every color between pink and orange, in beautiful contrast with the azure of the darkening sky. A shame that I watched this and didn't enjoy it, very miffed that I wasn't allowed outside.
 
I went over to my futon, suddenly very tired. It was probably those sweet-smelling flowers outside and the tedious walk there, I decided. Halfway to my futon, my robe fell to the floor. I didn't have time to stop it, though, noticing that I had fallen with it. I was covered in the all-too-familiar black fur again, my skeleton rearranging itself to make me a wolf cub again. My eyes glowed in the darkening room, the whites were now bright red while my pupils became small, staying their normal yellow color.
 
One of my pointed ears twitched at the sound of Misao coming to my room, then flattened at her scream.
 
Misao had come in to see a drooling wolf-creature with perpetual desire for murder in its eyes sitting beside the futon, my scattered robes beside it. It took her a few moments to move, as she stood still in fear. Did she think if she didn't move, I wouldn't see her? I am neither blind nor deaf. More moments passed, and I saw in Misao's frightened eyes the desire to run away, but she remained too scared to move. The minute that passed seemed like hours, especially with the dark creeping into the room from my window, which I had left ajar.
 
I transformed into my humanoid form again, the whites of my eyes becoming white again as the pupils grew. I sat, a naked seven year old, looking to Misao. For one of the few times in my seven years of living, I felt ashamed and sorry. It was my fault for doing that, no one else's. I felt my eyes beginning to water, but held in my tears. `Did I…Scare you?' I said quietly.
 
`Of course not.' Misao said, helping me put my robe back on as I climbed onto the futon. `I love you more than anything. You're just under an evil spell that makes you turn into that. When you get bigger you can control it, and you won't have to change into that anymore. I'll buy you prayer beads to keep the evil away.' Her voice quivered, though I was too young to see why she was afraid. `I was coming to see if you wanted dinner.'
 
`Oh, no thanks, I'm tired.' I said, my short hair sprawled out across the top of the futon as I closed my eyes. I silently listened as Misao walked out of the door with a caring `Goodnight.' Then thought of how Mayuko must be. She must be happy, I thought, without me to burden her. I kept my eyes closed with a sad expression, and then fell asleep.