InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ A Camping Trip ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Twenty-one: A Camping Trip

 

{Disclaimer: I've been accused of many things in my life, owning Inuyasha is NOT one of them. Maybe because it's not true…hum…?}

 

Authors Note: I am a liar. Yep, that's right. I said that Sessh was going to return in this chapter. He's not. I've decided to write one more filler before he comes back. But look! ::points to next button:: There's the next chapter! BTW, there's been another jump in time. There will one more in the next chapter, and that'll be it. Toshi is now ten years old. Review responses are below. Ja.

 

Silver-Blue-eyes: Sessy is in the next chapter instead of this one because I lied.

 

CrystalBlueSeraph: Yes, it was a big jump. The taiyoukai is in the next chapter.

 

starchickx7x: No, sorry I have a different was that the two get back together and it doesn't involve sneezing.

 

Inu-chan fan: Yes, Sessh comes back into the picture in the next chapter.

 

Skitzoflame: Kagome will see Sessh again in the next chapter.

 

rosie13: Sessy will be in the next chapter. Lol, no Kagome didn't sneeze and make him disappear, but that would be funny. I don't know who's controlling the government back there. I would suppose the same people who do in the series while he travels. You forget that Inuyasha wouldn't think to let the ladies know where Kagome was when he looked for Sessh. He may be the main character in the series, but he doesn't have much common sense. If you're an Inu fan, I'm sorry if I've hurt you.

 

PsychoDemoness: Nope, sorry Kagome won't sneeze and transport where Sesshy is. She meets up with him in the next chapter. It will be a lot longer than five years by the time they meet, I'm evil, sorry, couldn't help it. Lol, yes you are a cute tiger. ::pats head::

 

Stormy Nights Rainy Days: They get back together in the next chapter. And Saiyako will get her just desserts in the end, no worries.

 

StarDust1219: Sesshy and Kagome get back together in the next chapter.

 

~lil_angel~: They get back together in the next chapter and Saiyako will pay for breaking them up.

 

-Flame

 

_-*~*=~*~=~*-_

 

"Come on mom! You're too slow!" I sighed and watched Toshi run up the trail.

"Yeah mom, you're too slow." Inuyasha smirked beside me and I hit his arm. He laughed and shifted the pack on his shoulders. "Tell me again why you felt the need to go explore the great outdoors?" I shrugged watched Toshi chase after a toad.

"I remember going camping when I was little and loved it. I though maybe Toshi would like it too. Besides, he's been working hard lately and deserves a break." I took a deep breath of the fresh air and smiled. "Everyone deserves a break once in a while." I ran up to catch Toshi. I grabbed his hand and ran down the path.

I heard Inuyasha and Kikyou talking behind me and tried to block them out. I've noticed I've started doing that lately. I'm becoming distant and aloof, and I don't like it. I don't want to push everyone away from me. Truth is, I thought this trip would help, all of us together with no way to hide inside or watch from afar. That's what this trip is for, to become a closer family than we are.

I ran all the way down the hill before us with Toshi in hand. We slowed near the bottom and panted. I looked up and watched the gleam of the sun reflecting off the water of the lake we had traveled to. A fish jumped through the air and landed back in the water with a splash.

"Did you see that mom? That was neat!" I laughed and nodded.

"Yes it was." I'm glad he's not using the slang I tend to when I forget where I am. Even after all these years I still speak as though I'm back in high school. "What do you want to do first?"

"Can we go swimming?" He looked up at me with shining, expectant eyes and I nodded.

"Of course, just wait for Inuyasha to come down with the bag so you can change."

"Yaye! Thanks mom!" He ran up the hill and was soon dragging Inuyasha back down with him. Kikyou stood on top if the hill for a while and smiled at me. I waved to her and she started her trek down the hill as well. Toshi started rummaging through the pack before Inuyasha could even put it down. I laughed and he yanked a pair of shorts out and ran off to go put them on.

I know, I know in this time period people didn't wear shorts or even any clothes while they swam. I'm sorry, sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks. Swimming in the nude with someone other than your husband is one trick this old dog can't learn.

I walked over to the pack and pulled out my own makeshift-bathing suit. It was a simple red one piece made out of a pair of old halkamas. Toshi's was a blue pair of shorts I went out and bought fabric for. Toshi ran out from behind some bushes and jumped into the lake.

I smiled and walked into the bushes and started changing. I picked up my clothes as well as Toshi's and put them over by the pack. I waded into the water and swam around with my son. The water wasn't as cold as it looked. Oh, it was cold, just not as cold as it could be. It didn't take long to adjust to the water. I don't know how long we were in there but the next thing I knew Kikyou was calling us to shore and the sun was going down.

I came to shore with Toshi and we dried off and changed. We sat around the fire and ate dinner. The day was going by too fast for my liking. It was full dark already and we had practically only gone swimming. I sighed and felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked over at Kikyou and smiled.

"Are you alright?" I nodded even though I really didn't mean it. I miss Sessh; it hurts, simple as that. I over heard some kids making fun of Toshi the other day asking him where his father was. He said he was off fighting in a war and he'd be back any day. They reminded him that he's been saying that for years and asked why he's not back yet. Toshi came in and asked me that same question and it took everything I had not to break down and cry. I told him I didn't know and he just nodded.

"I'm fine Kikyou, just tired." It was her turn to nod, and I don't think she meant it either.

"Hey mom?" I looked over at Toshi and smiled.

"What?"

"Do you think you can tell us a ghost story?"

"Which one do you want to hear?" He looked over at Inuyasha.

"Have you heard the one about the green ribbon?"

"That's not really a ghost story." I pointed out. "It's more of a horror."

"That's what I meant. Can you tell us a scary story?"

"Alright." I turned to Inuyasha as well. "Have you heard it?"

"I don't believe so."

"Alright, I heard this from a friend of a friend of mine, he knew this couple. Jiro was the best swordsmen in his village and he was courting the village leader's daughter, Kaida. The two were very much in love. They did everything together. One thing always bothered Jiro though. Kaida always wore a green ribbon around her neck. One day he asked her why she wore it. She said that she couldn't tell him now; to ask again when they were older.

"Years passed and eventually Jiro and Kaida got married. After the ceremony he asked her again why she wore the ribbon. Again, she said ask again when they were older. Soon Jiro was blessed with children and again he asked his wife why she wore the ribbon. Once again she told him to ask later.

"Later soon came. Kaida came down with a serious cold and the doctor told Jiro she would die. Kaida called her husband to her bedside and he held her hand. `You've always wondered why I've worn this ribbon. And now you can know. Untie the ribbon.' She told him. Jiro reached over with shaky hands and untied the old green ribbon.

"Once the tie came undone, Kaida's head fell off."

"Keh, that was stupid." Inuyasha folded his hands over his chest.

"It's not one of the better ones." I shrugged. "But Toshi likes it. Speaking of Toshi." I stood and walked over to my now sleeping son. "I think it's time he went to bed." I walked over the bedrolls either Kikyou or Inuyasha put down while we were swimming. I placed Toshi down and covered him up. I kissed his forehead and smiled. "Night Toshi."

I walked back over to the fire and sighed. I wonder how much longer I'm going to live like this?

 

~*

Okay, sorry about the chapter. I know it's short and boring. I didn't like writing it so I have no doubts you all didn't like reading it. Sessh returns in the next chapter I promise. Ja.

-Flame