InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ The Journey West ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Twenty-four: The Journey West

 

{Disclaimer: I no own, you no sue.}

 

Authors Note: Sorry it took so long to post think chapter, I've been really busy as of late. Review responses below, ja.

 

Shirohaku: Yes, Saiyako will know she's alive. Just wait and see.

 

Tsuki Yume: No, Saiyako won't try to capture Kagome again now that she's found. I'll have to wait and see what happens.

 

-Flame

 

_-*~*=~*~=~*-_

 

I sat across from Kikyou stunned. "You want me to what?"

"Want you to become the protector of the Shikon no Tama once I pass on. Now that Sesshoumaru-sama's returned, surely you'll go back to the west and then I won't be able to ask this of you before it becomes too late."

" `Before it becomes too late'? Kikyou…" I looked at her with worry. "You're not dying, are you?" She just smiled at me like she was hiding something.

"Tomorrow is never guaranteed, remember that." I nodded and took a deep breath.

"You really want me to do this?" She nodded and I took another deep breath. Me? Become the protector of the Shikon no Tama? Do I have enough training to do something like this? "Aren't there any other mikos who are more qualified than me? I mean, we both know I'm not the ideal miko."

"No, you're the only one."

"But…why?"

"You're the most powerful miko I've ever met. You have a pure heart and aura, even if you are mated to a youkai." I blushed. How was I supposed to know it was some sort of taboo for a miko to mate a youkai? "Though, a plus is the fact that you'll live longer than most mikos, and Sesshoumaru-sama is an excellent protector for the jewel's bearer. Besides, it's my decision on who receives the jewel once I pass on, and you'll be getting it whether you agree or not." She smiled at me and I smiled right back.

"If I don't have a choice in the matter, I guess I'll except."

"I'm so glad. Now, if you want to make good time, I think you should get going." She pulled me to my feet and started pushing me out the door.

"Aren't we happy to get me out of here?"

"Kagome, I love you. I really do. You're like a sister to me, but you're a handful." I smiled and gave her a hug.

"I hope you know I'll visit."

"I should hope so. Now get." I started walking up the hill as Inuyasha came down. He had a scowl on his face, and I just bet he met up with his brother.

"I take it you're leavin' finally."

"I suppose so, we haven't talked about leaving yet, but I think we should. Though it will be hard to leave all this behind." I looked around. "I love it here."

"Keh, I told ya not to get attached." I smiled.

"I told Kikyou we'd visit."

"Keh."

"I'll see you later." I walked past him and he grabbed my arm. Turning around I looked into his amber eyes.

"Be careful." I nodded and patted his arm.

"I will, no need to worry." I turned and continued walking up the hill as he walked towards Kikyou's hut. When I got up to my home…or what was my home, I saw Miroku leaning against the porch.

"Inuyasha says you'll probably be leaving. I wanted to say good bye." I smiled sadly as I looked at him. We had become close over the years, as close as two can get without becoming lovers. I saw the tears threatening to fall in his eyes.

"Yeah…You know, you're always welcome in the western castle, no matter what Sessh says." He pushed himself off the wall and came closer.

"Thank you Kagome-sama. I'll make sure to drop by." I closed the distance between us and enveloped him in a hug. I didn't feel any of his hands wonder and I was glad. Sometimes he can just ruin moments like these. We pulled apart and I put a hand on his shoulder.

"You stay safe, and don't let that hand of yours wander too much now." He smiled and nodded.

"I never do." I looked at him skeptically and sighed.

"Sure Miroku, whatever you say. I'll see ya later." I patted his shoulder and walked inside. I took a deep breath and looked around. No one was in the living room and I was a bit glad. I walked around the living room one last time and entered the kitchen.

I blinked as the two most important men in my life sat across from each other in an arm wrestling match. I sat in between them and watched. They were both equally matched, but I knew Sessh was going easy on him. "Don't be so mean…" I shook my head and looked at Toshi. The poor boy had sweat pouring down his face. "He's playing you like a fool." I turned to Sessh and shook my head again. He looked board. "Your so mean to him."

"I am not mean to the boy, he wanted to test his strength." He turned and looked at me. "I am simply waiting for him to quit."

"That's a different case entirely." I folded my arms on the table and rested my head on them. "So when are we leaving? Kikyou says I'm a handful and I have to admit, the village could use a bit of quite for a while."

"I was going to speak to your about when you wanted to leave once you returned. Speaking of Kikyou, what did she summon you for?"

"Oh you know…miko things." I stood and started pouring a glass of water for Toshi. "She just wanted to know if I would become the next protector of the Shikon no Tama." I placed the glass next to Toshi. "Drink."

"She asked you to what?" I heard a slam and looked at the table. Sessh had slammed Toshi's hand down and the boy sighed.

"Darn." He picked up the glass and took a large gulp. "She said Kikyou-sama asked her to become the next protector of the Shikon no Tama."

"That's what I thought I heard." Sessh stood and walked over to me. "What did you tell her?"

"It doesn't matter. I had no choice. When I said she asked me, I mean asked in the way you would ask Jaken to do you paperwork, or when Rin was younger, to watch her."

"Who's Rin?" We both looked at Toshi and I smiled.

"Your sister."

"I have a sister?" His mouth hung open.

"She already has a family of her own. You'll meet her before we get home. Speaking of meeting people…" I turned to Sessh. "Sango want to meet you."

"Alright, but that's not relevant at the moment."

"And what is?"

"The fact that you're the protector of a jewel the Naraku seeks."

"Not yet…I will be once Kikyou dies, but what's wrong with that? If Naraku comes for it, you get to kill him." A sadistic smile spread across my mates face and I sighed. "I'm going to start packing, I suggest you do too, Toshi." I said and walked out of the kitchen and into my room.

I closed the door and looked around my room. I remember all the wonderful things that happened in this room. You'd think most of my memories would be in the living room or on the porch, but there right here.

I remember when Toshi was really little, before he could even talk. He said his first word in this room. `Morning.' I'll never hear that word again without that memory flash. I remember reading to him as he fell asleep. I remember stroking his hair as he clutched onto my sleeping kimono after waking from a nightmare. I remember all the late night hours staying up trying to learn how to sow and mend. I had though it would be easy, since I had so much practice stitching patients up, but skin and cloth do not sow the same way.

I walked over to my closet and took out the large yellow pack Sango had given me. I started packing, and truthfully, I don't remember doing it. A memory would pop up from anything I touched. I don't know how much time passed before the room was barren…well, except for the furniture. Standing I left the room and walked into the living room.

That room too was barren save for the furniture and boxes were sitting by the door. This was happening all too fast. I don't want to leave yet. I've grown too attached to the place, but I know if I don't leave now I never will. I placed my pack next to the boxes and walked into the kitchen. The two were back at what they were doing before, and I just sat between them.

I kept my eyes on the table and could feel Sessh's eyes on me. Yes people, the invisible arrows were back, not that they ever left or anything. "Are you alright, Kagome?"

"Yeah, it's just hard to leave is all."

"I don't think so." I looked at Toshi as he struggled to move his father's arm. "I would have left in a few years anyway."

"Don't remind me!" I threw my head down, hitting the table in the process. I heard Toshi laugh and Sessh's hand on my back.

"When will you ever learn that you can't pass through the table."

"The day I learn how to move through objects." I said sting up and rubbing my head. "Are you two ready to go?"

"Hai, as soon as Jaken returns from purchasing a wagon and horses."

"I hope you know we're stopping Sango's."

"And where would this Sango live?"

`Up north." His eyes narrowed and I sighed.

"You mean where all of Saiyako's soldiers are? Where Naraku's now hiding?" I nodded with a smile on my face and he sighed. "Sometimes you're more trouble than you're worth."

"You knew that already. Must I remind you of the night we met?"

"No, I try to block it from my memory." I folded my arms over my chest and looked away.

"Well I'm sorry. If it's any consolation, I have more control now. I can go back any time you wish, Oh Great Lord of Pink Fluff." He growled and I was pulled into his lap.

"You are not going back, and I am not the `Lord of Pink Fluff'." I smirked and faced him.

"You're not?"

"No…and don't get any ideas."

"Ideas like what?" I tried not to laugh. There was near panic in his eyes. Ah, how I've missed this. "Like this?" I asked and touched his forehead. He sighed and closed his eyes.

"Yes, like that." We both turned our heads as laughter reached our ears. Toshi was rocking back in his chair clutching his sides laughing like he's never laughed before.

"Y-you t-turn-ed h-him p-p-ink!" He spoke in between laughs. A few tears rolled out of his eyes and I looked back at Sessh.

"I think it's an improvement." I looked back at our son. "Don't you?" He nodded, not trusting his voice as a squawk sounded from the doorway. We all looked and saw a stunned Jaken leaning on his staff.

"Wench!" Sessh growled and the next thing I knew I was sitting in the chair alone and Sessh was holding Jaken in the air by his neck.

"You will not speak to the Lady of the Western Lands in such a way. Is that understood?"

"H-hai m-milord!" Sessh threw Jaken down and walked over to me.

"Fix this."

"Hai, hai." I stood and placed my finger on his forehead again and he returned to normal. He looked over at Toshi and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Lets go." We left the kitchen and started packing the cart…well, they did. Sessh wouldn't let me lift a finger, not that I didn't mind or anything, I'm more lower body strength than upper body strength. When we tried to actually leave though, we had a problem.

Sessh didn't want me walking and I didn't want to ride in the cart. We argued about it for a good half an hour I'd wager before we came to an agreement. I could walk, but the first signs of fatigue I was to ride in the cart. With that settled we started off through Inuyasha forest and towards the northwest.

 

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

It was a nice day. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, youki were attacking…okay, so maybe that wasn't such a good thing, but it was interesting watching Sessh and Toshi fight. I hadn't run into many youkai when I traveled with Sango all those many years ago, so why are we running into so many now? I swear we can't walk fifty feet before we're attacked.

I sat on a fallen log as my two knights in shining armor were taking care of our newest threat. I watched closely for any injuries either of them acquired. Funny, they seam to think that if you have a gash that won't stop bleeding you're fine. The youkai was taking longer than normal and I sighed. I wonder how long this was going to take?

That's when I heard it. There was a snap behind me and I turned. With a scream I jumped to my feet as another youkai slashed through the log, missing me by a hair. It looked up with its red eyes and I stepped back. I may be a miko, but that doesn't mean I know how to fight. I closed my eyes and held my hands out. A shield of purifying ki surrounded me and kept the youkai away. Figures, they're all bark and no bite. You throw a little purification in there and they stop.

I heard a shriek and opened my eyes. Sessh stood over the corpse of the youkai that had attacked me and I lowered my shield. I really need to learn how to fight. Tell me again why I declined Kikyou's offer to teach me archery? I'll have to learn when we get home. There was another shriek and I knew Toshi had killed the other youkai.

Sessh walked up to me and looked me over. "Are you alright?" I nodded, looking him over myself. I didn't see anything, but you can never tell with him.

"Are you?" He nodded and I looked at Toshi. "You okay?"

"Yeah mom. I'm fine." I let out a shaky breath and felt my feet lift from the ground.

"What are you doing Sessh?"

"Putting you in the cart."

"Why? I can walk. That's why I have legs." He looked into my eyes with his golden ones full of worry, consern, and fear. "Alright." I smiled and kissed his nose. "I'll ride in the cart." He placed me among blankets he had spread earlier when he tried to get me to ride in there and quickly kissed me.

"Thank you." He walked back up front and continued walking. I yawned and settled into the blankets. Maybe riding in the cart wasn't so bad. It wasn't very bumpy and soon I fell asleep.

 

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful. Other than the now occasional youkai attacks, not much happened. No, I'm wrong, one other thing happened. Toshi called Sessh dad. The smile that came to Sessh's face when he heard that was one of the few smiles he gives of that caliber. I got one when I agreed to become his mate, and that was the only other one I've seen.

It wasn't long before we could see the wall of the taijiya village. I jumped out of the cart and ran up to Sessh. He looked at me with a questioning look. "We need to stop real fast." He turned to face me instead of just looking at me from the corner of his eye. "I never told you who Sango was…and I think now would be a good time to do so. Sango is a friend of mine who saved me after I escaped Saiyako. She's a taijiya."

I closed my eyes and waited for him to say anything. After a few moments of silence I cracked open an eye and looked at him. He was just standing there with his emotionless mask on. I opened my eyes and took a deep breath. "They don't know I'm the Lady of the Western Lands…well, everyone but Sango. When we visit I put a disguise on."

"And Toshi?" I could hear a bit of worry in his voice and was glad he wasn't mad.

"Toshi hides his ears behind his hair and tries not to use his hands. You on the other hand…" I looked at him and sighed. "You do trust me, don't you?"

"Of course. Why do you ask?"

"I want to try something. I want to see if I can disguise you like I can myself, I've never done it before. It requires miko energy and you're a youkai and I want to know if you trust me enough to use it." He placed his hand on my cheek and I smiled.

"If you feel it would be a wise decision, then do so." I nodded and kneeled in front of him. He lowered and sat on his knees without me having to ask and I placed my hands gently on his face. I closed my eyes and focused my energy. I could feel it coursing through my veins like molten erupting from the earth. It shot to my fingertips and I willed it to change. I willed it to hide what was there.

I opened my eyes as the light pink glow began to dissipate and looked at Sessh. Not half bad. He looked at me with a pair of evergreen eyes and I smiled. His long silver tresses had been turned into short chestnut strands held behind his head out of the way. Plain village clothes replaced his royal clothes.

"Not bad." I closed my eyes again and willed the transformation to occur again. I opened them with a smile. "My name's now Raquel. Now what should your name be?"

"I think we should call him Kagarouse." We looked at Toshi and I laughed.

"That's an excellent name."

"I refuse to be called that."

"We'll call you Kaga for short." I stood and headed for the village. Toshi and Sessh caught up just as the guards spotted me.

"Raquel! How's it going?"

"Pretty good." I smiled as they opened the gate and walked up.

"And young Toshi, how are you?"

"Tired, but it's been a long journey." One of the guards placed a hand on my shoulder and looked over at Sessh.

"So…Who's this?" I forced a blush to stain my cheeks and looked at the ground.

"That would be Kagarouse, Kaga for short. He's a…friend."

"Just a friend?" I forced the blush to darken. "Well, Sango's off hunting. Why don't you go wait in her home?" I nodded and led Toshi and Sessh inside to village and toward my friend's home.

"I'll be back, kay mom?"

"Sure." I smiled and sat down inside. Sessh sat next to me and looked around.

"How long did you stay here?"

"Two months."

"It's no wonder I couldn't sense you. You were too far north." I nodded and he turned his head to look at me. "I won't let you stray that far from me again."

"I'd take that as a threat if I were you." We both turned our heads and I jumped up and gave Sango a hug.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"Not long. I take it this is Sesshoumaru?" I nodded and she smiled. "It's nice to meet you." She said as she sat with me on the floor. "I have one thing I want to say to you."

"Go on." He said with a board expression on his face.

"If you ever, and I mean ever hurt her or stand back and let others hurt her, I'll kill you." Her eyes narrowed and I gasped.

"Sango!"

"I have no intention to do such. I will not let this happen again, you can be sure of that."

"I will be. I have eyes and ears all around and if I hear that even a hair on her head was harmed, you'll deal with me. Kagome's become like a sister to me, and I don't let my family get hurt." I sat back and watched. I've never seen Sango like this before, something happened.

"What happened?" She turned and looked at me.

"Naraku set us up. He killed a large group of us. My father and Kohaku included."

"Oh Sango…" I wrapped her in my arms and stroked her hair. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright, I just can't wait for the day that I face Naraku." I stiffened.

"Do you really plan to?"

"Yes." God…I don't want to lose her, but he killed her family. "I'm sure you have to get going." She said leaving my embrace and standing up. "The Western castle is about a weeks walk from here."

"Or a weeks ride." Sessh said and looked at me. I glared at him.

"I am not riding in that cart for a week." He growled and Sango move a little closer to me.

"I will not have you injured like you nearly were."

"Nearly being the operative word in that sentence. I'll jump out right as we're next to a river or a cliff." We stared at each other with hardened expressions on our faces.

"Fine, but if you get hurt I'll make sure you won't move until we arrive and I'll lock the library doors when we get home." I gasped and looked at him in horror.

"Sacrilege!"

"It was nice meeting you, Lady Sango." Sessh bowed. "I hope you will come to visit us."

"Be counting on it." Sessh took my hand and led me out of the house. Toshi was talking with some girls outside and saw us come out. He said his goodbyes and ran up to us.

"I take it we're leaving?"

"I suppose so." I said as we left the village and walked over to the cart. I walked in front of Sessh and placed my hands on his face again. I closed my eyes and concentrated on turning him back to normal. Once I was sure he was fixed I changed back myself and hopped into the cart. I curled up in the blankets and fell passed out from lack of energy.

 

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

The next thing I knew the cart stopped and I sat up. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and smiled. I had to have been asleep for a while. We where in Lion Cloud Village. I hopped down and walked next to Sessh. "Feeling batter?"

"Much. Are we stopping to see Rin?"

"Why else would we be here?" He asked and knocked on her door. It slowly creaked open and an older woman that didn't look like what I remembered my daughter to be looked at us.

"Dad? Who's that?"

"Your mother." Tears welled in her eyes and she ushered us inside. We sat in chairs and Rin hugged me tightly.

"I can't believe it's you. I really thought…why didn't you go home?" I explained everything that had happened after my visit with her and by the end she was crying harder than before. "I'm glad you're alive." She looked over at Toshi. "And you little brother. I'm glad I got to meet you." She gave him a hug, which he gratefully returned.

"We will visit again soon Rin. I wish to get these two home soon." Rin hugged Sessh and nodded. We left her home not long after we got there and were on our way home. It was sunset when we passed a lone grave and I stopped. "That's the body we thought was yours." I kneeled before the body and said a little prayer for her.

"Her name was Chikago."

"May you rest in peace, Chikago." Sessh said a little prayer as well and we were on our way again. By the time we got to the castle gates, Toshi was asleep in the cart and I had Sessh's hand in my own.

"Maybe you should carry him to his room, just this once." Sessh looked over at our sleeping son.

"He does look pretty tired." We put the cart next to the stable and left our belongings for the servants to get. Sessh picked Toshi up in his arms and I followed him through the castle halls.

"So what room is his?"

"Right now, the room right next to Rin's old one. If he doesn't like it we can always give him another one." I nodded and watched as Sessh put Toshi down and covered him up.

"He's so old. I wish I could have been there when he was younger."

"He was a pain when he was younger." I laughed and took his hand. "Besides, who said we can only have one child?" Sessh picked me up next and I relaxed in his arms. He carried me into our room and placed me on the bed. He kneeled in front of me and gently stroked my cheek. I looked into his eyes and almost started crying at the emotions that played across them. He was just as miserable these last sixteen years I was.

I took his hand and dragged him down on the bed with me. "Lets just sleep tonight. We've had a trying journey." Sessh nodded and curled up next to me, spooning me against him…even if I was a bit too short.

"I'm just glad to have you back." With that we closed our eyes and slept.