InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Things Don't Always Turn Out That Way ❯ Things Don't Always Turn Out That Way ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Things Don't Always Turn Out That Way

Yes, I know I already posted this. I fixed all the typos and cleaned it up.

Author's Notes: Thank you. Y'all know who you are. Also note that lyrics are Italics and/or right-aligned.

P.S.-Kaede isn't in this story. She didn't fit. They can be in a different hut, Kagome just needed to be gone. I know! Kagome took the old lady with to get her some hair dye and plastic surgery. There.

Disclaimer: I wish I owned them. Don't we all?

-----

Miroku sighed. The flickering flames of the dying fire illuminated the small area of Kaede's hut just enough for the monk to distinguish the features of his companions.

Kagome's person was absent that night; she had left around midday babbling some nonsense about Yuka-chan and a "Sakamoto Maaya `kon-zert.'" She departed with the promise of her return tomorrow afternoon.

Kagome's overly large backpack remained in the feudal era, however. Inu-Yasha had wandered off somewhere, mumbling something that sounded curiously like "thoughtless, stupid girl."

It was now the middle of the night. The angry half-demon was comfortably arranged on his tree branch, sulking.

`I do believe he is asleep…'

Shippo was curled up close to the warm coals left from the fire, dead to the world.

-----

Miroku's gaze shifted from his dependable, if rather odd, comrades to the lone female in his presence. His lips slowly raised into a soft smile.

Sango was lying on her futon, her eyes gently closed, her breathing light and regular.

Well he can't sleep at night

Miroku pulled himself to a standing position and silently drew himself out of the hut.

He wandered away under the stars, occasionally admiring the moonlit fields of rice. He sat down on a fallen log, mentally recounting his existence.

Not long after he began, his thoughts stopped at his present. He realized early in life that he needed to keep others away. `It's just getting so hard now…'

And he can't do what's right

'I can't bring myself to damn her…she doesn't deserve it.'

It's all because she came into his life

'Damn you, Naraku! You don't have to stand by watching your life slip away day by day. You don't have to push away the only one in your whole life you want close to you!'

It's a deep obsession

Taking up his time

The houshi stopped short. 'Did…Did I just think that?'

Oh yeah

She's all that he wants

She's all that he needs

'When did this happen? All this time I've been trying to keep her away, but let myself get so close to her! Dammit!

Miroku stood abruptly. He turned on his heel and began to stalk resolutely towards the camp. 'I shouldn't be attached like this! It's not happening!'

She's everything he just won't believe

-----

Sango awoke with a start, her hand to her chest, her forehead beaded with a cold sweat. She shook her head, trying to forget the contents of that nightmare. 'I hate these. They keep coming back.' She retied her yukata and slipped her soft sandals over her feet. With a glance around the hut, she left silently.

Sango headed toward the bridge. She found that when she had nightmares, the water helped her calm herself.

'I think this one was the worst yet,' Sango thought. 'Miroku actually died…I have this odd feeling that Kohaku was the one who did it… I can't take this! What would I do if I lost him?!'

Sango jumped to her feet. "What the HELL was that?!" she screamed to no-one in particular.

-----

Miroku was halfway to the hut, his mind on his mission at hand. He heard a quite familiar voice shout an obscenity and had a sneaking suspicion he knew who the owner of that voice was. 'I knew it. Every time I go to tell her, there's a distraction. This time, she's pissed. Oh well, better go see what's wrong.'

-----

Sango choked on her words as a new thought came to her mind. 'Crap. I woke everyone up again, didn't I?'

Sango turned at the sound of slight footsteps behind her. Her gaze shot ahead, falling to rest on the slightly confused face of the priest. "Houshi-sama…what are you doing up this late?"

"I should ask you the same question. At least I wasn't trying to wake the whole village."

Sango folded her arms over her chest. "Leave me alone and go back to bed. I'm sorry if I woke you."

"You didn't wake me. I have been out for a while now. Would you care to elaborate on what caused the screaming?"

"No."

"Fine. I'll walk you back to the hut."

"I'm a big girl. I know how to walk by myself."

"Suit yourself."

The huntress brushed past the monk, quite annoyed with him.

"Sango-sama, wait."

Without turning around, Sango paused.

Take away his doubt

Turn him inside out

Then she can see what he's been trying to say

"What?"

Miroku paled. "Um, never mind. I was going to ask you if you…needed anything?"

But things don't always turn out that way

"No, I'm fine. Good-night." Sango resumed her walk to the hut.

-----

'Are her hips swinging like that on purpose?' Miroku mentally smacked himself. 'No naughty thoughts. You ARE going to go through with this.'

And he must confess

All the impure thoughts of his beautiful temptress

Miroku retraced Sango's steps to the cabin.

-----

'Why can't I do this? What the hell is wrong with me?'

Although he keeps it all

Bottled up inside

Although he keeps it all

Safe within his mind

'I guess I'm afraid of rejection.'

-----

When Mirkou arrived at the small wooden house, Sango was already asleep. His soft, gentle smile returned when he gazed at her sleeping form.

She's all that he wants

She's all that he needs

She's everything he just won't believe

Take away his doubt

Turn him inside out

Then she can see what he's been trying to say

Miroku knelt over the taiji-a's bed, his smile widening, reaching his eyes. He reached out his arm to touch her cheek, but drew his hand back as she twisted and groaned "stupid houshi-chan…"

So wipe that smile off your face
Before it gets too late
There's only so much time
For you to make up your mind

She's all that he wants

She's all that he needs

She's everything he just won't believe

Take away his doubt

Turn him inside out

Then she can see what he's been trying to say

But things don't always turn out that way