InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Ties of the Heart ❯ Spring is in the Air ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Spring is in the Air

Hi there everyone! Yay, new chappie! Thanks for the review, it was a nice boost to my ego. ^_^ Anyway, if anyone objects to Rin kicking some butt, then this chapter is not for you. Leave now. DO IT! LEAVE! All the cool people still here? Good, on with the chapter then.

~*~

"Rin, wake up!" Blinking her eyes open groggily, Rin saw Jaken standing over her, and promptly screamed. Covering his ears, Jaken muttered, "Happy birthday…" When Rin looked plainly confused, the short toad demon rolled his eyes and said, "It's your 17th birthday, young mistress! Lord Sesshoumaru told me to take you to a village and buy you something for a gift. Psh…and I thought this was supposed to be a notable occasion among humans!"

"Forgive me, Jaken. Thank you," Rin soothed the touchy toad. After she got dressed, she followed Sesshoumaru's retainer to the nearest village. Jaken put on his most agitated face as she "ooh"ed and "ahh"ed over various silks. Finally, she settled on pale pink fabric with white embroidered flower blossoms, perfect for spring. Seeing that there was some coin left thanks to Rin's haggling skills and the presence of a demon, albeit a wimpy one, she decided to keep looking. Jaken nearly had a conniption, but Rin was determined to make the most of Sesshoumaru's gift, and found another bolt of deep blue silk with golden designs swirling around the fabric.

~*~

It was night by the time they reached camp again. Upon arriving, the pair found Sesshoumaru crouched by the fire, appearing deep in thought. Figuring that no matter how out of it he looked that Sesshoumaru had either heard or smelled them, Rin crept up behind him. Shouting, "Oh thank you Sesshoumaru!! She wrapped her arms around him from behind, giving him a great, big hug. He might be angry, but it was her birthday after all…

"Don't do that Rin, you startled me," he said, not sounding startled at all. "Did Jaken help you find a suitable birthday present?"

"Yes, he did a wonderful job," Rin replied in what she hoped was a sincere tone. Pulling out the two bolts of silk from the sack that kept them clean while they traveled, she displayed them for the demon lord. "I'm going to start making a kimono right now!" she said cheerfully. After all, she'd been making her own clothes since she was a little girl, and although she was better with a sword, she was a fair hand with a needle as well.

"Nonsense," Sesshoumaru said suddenly in the middle of her thoughts. "We will be arriving at my estates soon. One of the servants will make them for you."

"Of course, thank you," Rin replied, and went off to pack her things. She was only slightly disappointed that she couldn't make the garments for herself. Although it felt good to wear something you made yourself, it was also nice to have a more skilled person do the work for you.

~*~

Three days later, the group reached the home of the Lord of the Western Lands. Rin had seen the huge enclosure before, complete with its own soothing hot springs, extensive armory, luscious gardens, practice grounds, and a small army of servants, all demons of course. She always found it amazing how Sesshoumaru's home managed to look like a palace and a fortress at the same time. Beautiful and foreboding, just like Sesshoumaru, Rin thought to herself. Shaking her head, Rin scowled, angry at herself for having such thoughts…again.

Once inside, Jaken scurried off to attend to whatever he felt it was necessary. Another figure appeared, watching the diminutive toad go. "Lord Sesshoumaru," the aged demon said as he bowed respectfully, "it is good to have you home."

"Roiyaru!" Rin smiled, giving him a hug. Having been in Sesshoumaru's service for countless decades, Roiyaru and his wife Shinmyou had taken care of Rin whenever Sesshoumaru came home from his wanderings. Both were human-like with only their soft eyes and tiny pointed ears to name them hare demons.

"I trust all has been seen to while I was away, Roiyaru," Sesshoumaru said calmly to his retainer. It was not a question.

"All is well, milord," the aged servant replied. "However," he began cautiously, "Only a few days ago, one of your vassals began objecting to serving under the Great Lord Sesshoumaru. Preparations to teach him his place have already begun."

Nodding absently, Sesshoumaru asked, "Which one?"

Grimacing, Roiyaru answered, "My dear cousin, Lord Tawakemeno Usagi. Apparently he has ambitions of striking out on his own." Rin listened carefully, although she was hardly surprised as to the identity of the unruly vassal. It almost seemed that all it took for Roiyaru's cousin to rebel was a good dose of sake. Everyone knew there was no love lost between the honorable Roiyaru and his scheming cousin Tawakemeno. Ironic that the deserving hare demon was a servant in Sesshoumaru's service, while the scoundrel owned his own lands. She had often wondered why Roiyaru and his wife chose servitude instead of living on their cousin's lands, but then she remembered who the cousin was. Besides, it was not uncommon for minor nobles to serve someone as great as the Lord of the Western Lands.

"It is only to be expected," Sesshoumaru said flippantly. "A pity," he continued, "that Tawakemeno couldn't behave as your late uncle." With that, he wandered down the hall, staring at the ceiling as though reliving past memories.

Smiling at Rin, Roiyaru said softly, "My uncle was one of Lord Sesshoumaru's few friends." Sighing, he added, "Milord took his death very hard, as did I." After a short moment, he genuinely smiled at Rin and proclaimed, "Welcome home, young mistress. All is well here." Dropping his voice to a hushed whisper, he added, "Shinmyou has tea for you in your room, where she is waiting to here all about your journeys."

Giggling, Rin thanked her friend, and hurried over to her apartments. Shinmyou was the mother, or rather grandmother, that Rin had lacked for so much of her life. Throwing her door open, she ran in and greeted her truest friend with a hug. Other younger females in the castle might befriend her from time to time, but most only did so because of her close association with Sesshoumaru. Shinmyou was as faithful as her name.

"Happy Birthday, Rin!" Shinmyou greeted her. "I know it's a tad late, but then again," she chuckled, "I could hardly give you your present when you were out wandering with Lord Sesshoumaru!" Reaching behind her back, Shinmyou instructed Rin to close her eyes and hold out her hands.

Giggling again, Rin did as she was told, and felt something smooth in her hands. Opening her eyes, she gasped at the sight of her present. It was a beautiful thread-of-gold obi, obviously created by someone with amazing skill.

Eyes crinkling as she smiled, Shinmyou explained, "My mother made that for me when I turned the same age as you are now Rin. I had wanted to pass it on to my own daughter, but even though you are not my own, I think of you as so."

Smiling softly, Rin hugged the woman again. She knew very well that Shinmyou and Roiyaru had no children of their own. Feeling honored at the significance of the obi, Rin whispered a heartfelt thank you into the hug.

Suddenly her cheek felt wet, and she saw that Shinmyou was crying. Rin tried to comfort the older woman, but Shinmyou just brushed her off. "Bah! Look at me," she scoffed, "I'm getting so old and sentimental, but here you are, travel worn and tired to the bone. Come now, surely you must want to go and make use of the hot springs."

"Thank you, Shinmyou," Rin said gratefully, "that would be heavenly!"

As Rin start to put her things away, Shinmyou noticed the parcel containing the silks Rin had bought. "Let me see those, dear," she prompted, and then squealed like a young girl when Rin brought them out. "They're absolutely gorgeous!" smirking, she added, "You have a fine eye for quality, young Rin. It seems I've taught you well."

Laughing lightly Rin joked, "It seems all I have to do to make you happy is show you a good piece of cloth! Maybe I should mention it to Roiyaru."

Shinmyou snorted, saying, "Pshaw, that old fool couldn't tell fine silk from sackcloth!" After a little more laughter, Shinmyou said, "Well enough of this, you get going, I think I'll start on your new kimonos." Raising an eyebrow, she added, "I trust you haven't put on any extra pounds since your last visit."

Rin rolled her eyes and answered, "Not with all the sword practicing and strict rations Sesshoumaru insists on! It'll be nice to have some of your cooking for a change instead the miserable excuses for what Jaken calls stew." Turning to leave, Rin stopped, looking over her shoulder. "Thank you again Shinmyou," she said softly. Eyes downcast, she added, "For everything." With that, she headed off for the springs.

"Yes indeed," Shinmyou whispered to herself, "I have taught you well."

~*~

"YAAAAWWWWWWN!!!" Quickly covering her mouth to hide her yawn, Rin wandered slowly down the path to the hot springs. Tomorrow would bring more training and plans to fight the new threat of Tawakemeno. Tonight, however, she could relax. She could already feel the soothing hot water working out all of the knots in her back.

As she walked, lost in her thoughts, something followed her. Darting from bush to bush, the shadow was confident that Rin was completely oblivious to his presence. But he made one fatal mistake.

*SNAP*

Unthinkingly, Rin's hand moved to the katana at her side. She had named it Munesanzun, and it served her well. Whirling around with her blade already drawn, she spotted the intruder. Seeing that it was a hare demon, granted it was a pretty ugly one, she thought, Naturally, one of Tawakemeno's flunkies. This is all I need right now! "Listen, buddy," she growled, "I have been running all around the country, stressed to no end, and NOW you interrupt me before I can even get in the freakin' hot springs and RELAX A LITTLE!" Steam practically coming out of her ears, she charged at him shouting, "YOU ARE GOING DOWN!"

Shocked into petrifaction, all the assassin could do was stand frozen and take the first hit from Rin. Once he had recovered from his daze, however, he quickly got back to his feet, and pulled two daggers from his sleeves.

Rolling her eyes, Rin retorted, "Psh, like I can't dodge those. Bet ya didn't think about what would happen once you ran out of throwing daggers."

"Who says I intend to throw them?" he asked in a low, dangerous voice. Darting forward, he lunged with one of his daggers for Rin's stomach. With hardly any time to react, the best she could do was turn a fatal stab into one that grazed her left side.

"You…." She glowered, too angry to even finish her sentence. Damn her side hurt! Apparently this was going to take a little more work than she had thought.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Haha! Cliffhanger! Mwahahaha! Well, try not to kill yourselves until the next chapter! I'm sure it'll be hard not to…..yeah….real hard.