InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Time and Time Again ❯ Familiar Faces ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*AN Okay, I know absolutely nothing about Japanese names, so I used a Finnish name for the Inu-Yasha and Sango reincarnations and the name of a guy from one of the many Japanese bands my friend Kati obsesses over for the Miroku reincarnation. <^.^;> If anyone has a recommendation for Kirara or Shippou, many thanks would be given.

Thanks to code wyze for pointing out that I had spelling mistakes. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Thanks also to Khepri for your nice review! I was all smiles for a half hour.

Also, I changed chapter 2 a little bit to help with my plot, so if you've already read it, you may want to do so again so that you don't get confused later on.

Please review!

Disclaimer: Oh please, look at the previous chapter.

********************************************************* *************************************************

The girl gave Kagome an odd look and Kagome almost immediately realized her mistake.

"S-sorry," Kagome said quietly, "you look like someone I used to know."

The Sango look-alike smiled, either not seeing or choosing to ignore the pained look on Kagome's face.

"No problem. You're Kagome, right?"

The young miko nodded, not quite trusting herself to speak.

"I'm Saya. I'll be showing you around the school, helping you find your locker, so on and so forth, you get the idea"

Kagome smiled weakly and followed San-SAYA out of the small office. She tailed Saya through the many empty hallways as Saya explained which rooms were which. After the 3rd room, Kagome tuned out and turned her mind to a more pressing problem. Why did Saya look so much like the demon exterminator from the Feudal Era? She looked the same, spoke in the same manner . . . heck, she even walked with Sango's alert and wary confidence. She smiled wryly to herself. It's almost like what happened with me and . . . and Kikyo . . . She stopped dead in her tracks as the realization struck her, and she watched Saya again, this time with a more scrutinizing eye. Magenta eyes . . . hair in a ponytail . . . could it . . . could Saya be Sango's reincarnation? It wouldn't be as far-fetched as some of the things I've seen since I was fifteen, but . . . but then . . . who else was reincarnated? Could-

A sudden slap and a scream of 'PERVERT!' brought Kagome out of her musings and back to reality. Saya was standing over a black-haired boy with a short ponytail, purple shirt and baggy jeans. The boy was lying on the floor and a red handprint almost as red as Saya's face was starting to make its presence known.

Kagome hurried over to the pair and looked carefully at the boy's face. There was n mistaking the resemblance . . . or the behavior for that matter.

"Miroku . . ." she breathed. She was to busy looking at the boy to notice the confused look Saya shot her.

"Ow! Saya, what was that for?"

"YOU KNOW VERY WELL WHAT THAT WAS FOR, YOU FRIGGIN' PERVERT!"

"My hand slipped! I swear!"

"Yeah right Kyo, that didn't work the first forty-six times and it won't work now."

He beamed up at her. "You're counting!"

"NO I'M NOT! Besides, I'm trying to show a new student around if you don't mind."

"Really?" Kyo looked around Saya to the girl in the red haori behind her. Her smiled disarmingly (for good reason) and walked up to her. "I don't believe we've met. I-" He stopped talking when he noticed that Kagome was slowly backing away from him. He blinked and his face fell into a confused look as he saw the hurt expression that Saya had missed. What's going on? He thought. Kyo was a lecher, but he was an excellent judge of others and their feelings. I haven't even tried anything yet and she's looking at me like I've hurt her. He smiled again, less lecherously this time, and backed away with his hands in the air so she could see them. "Don't worry," he laughed, "I'm not going to hurt you." He was rewarded with a small smile.

"Anyway," Saya said, still angry, "this is Kagome. Kagome, this is Kyo. He isn't as bad as he seems . . . most of the time anyway." She checked her watch and grinned. "Wonderful-time for lunch." She turned to Kagome, "Kagome, if you'd like to, you can sit with Kyo, Saku and me."

Kagome looked uneasily at Saya. She wasn't sure that she could do this. She'd been so careful! She had never let a single comment about the Feudal Era slip through her lips, she had tried to act like nothing had ever been wrong besides the 'mugging' and 'illnesses' . . . the closest she got to mourning for her friends was the haori she wore over her school uniform . . . and now . . . now she was faced with people who were living, breathing replicas of her friends that she had tried so hard to push away from her heart.

Misinterpreting the expressions that danced across Kagome's face, Saya whispered in her ear, "don't worry, Saku and me'll make sure that he doesn't try anything."

Kagome gave Saya a false and shaky smile. "No thanks, Saya, I think . . . I think I'd rather eat alone today."

Saya smiled warmly. "Okay. Just go buy your lunch in the cafeteria I showed you earlier, and if you have any questions about where to go you can ask someone, 'kay? Kyo and I have to wait for Saku"

Kagome nodded again. She hurried away before she saw this Saku person. Oh Kami, please don't let Saku be who I think he is . . . please . . .Still, curiosity won over her heart and she turned around. Saya and Kyo wee talking animatedly to another, tall boy with a red bandanna and . . . silver hair . . .

The boy looked up as Kagome froze and his honey-colored eyes locked with hers. Saya and Kyo both turned around to see what had caught their friend's attention, and Kyo nearly took a step backwards. He had thought that she looked hurt when she saw him, but that couldn't hold a candle compared to the grief that was washing over her face now.

"I-Inu-Yasha . . ." that single name squeezed past her lips-a name she had refrained from saying out loud for over a year-before she turned and ran.

********************************************************* *********************************

*AN Yes, yes, I know that the grammar when Saya speaks is bad, but I'm basing the speech on the way my friends and I talk. Sometimes I use proper grammar, sometimes I don't, so just so you know, it's not a mistake, it's intentional.