InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ The Warmth of Blood ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 2- The Warmth of Blood

Chapter 2- The Warmth of Blood

Inuyasha watched Kagome as the scent of death began to flow from her. It was very faint, but unmistakable.

Kagome had trusted him to keep her safe, and he had failed her.

From his place in Kirara's fur, Myouga hopped his way to Inuyasha's side. Despite what he believed was proper, Myouga knew there was a way to save the young miko from death's grasp. He only prayed to the Kami's that it would not ruin Kagome or Inuyasha's soul.

"My Lord," whispered Myouga.

"What?" Inuyasha barked. Myouga looked up to see his young master on the verge of tears. Not even when his mother had died had Inuyasha been so sad.

"I see that you have come to the same conclusion I have over Lady Kagome's condition."

"Do you have a point to make?"

"There is a way to save her," Myouga whispered very quietly. It was his duty to inform Inuyasha of this, no matter what he thought.

Inuyasha looked hopeful for a moment before he began to really think about what Myouga had said. "There is a catch, isn't there?"

"Very perceptive of you, my Lord. Yes, there is a `catch' as you say."

"Would it hurt Kagome?"

Myouga looked down for a moment before shaking his head in doubt. "Master, the truth is I have no idea. The consequences to such an action is drastic, not only to Kagome-sama, but to you as well."

"What do you mean? Explain."

"The Sharing of Blood would result in the binding of you and Kagome-sama's souls, maybe even more than that. You would never be able to separate yourself from her and she from you. It is only something done between the closest of family members of the Inuyoukai. Never has it been done to a human or any other youkai outside the inu clan."

"Why is that? Why is The Sharing of Blood only done by Inuyoukai?"

"Because Inuyoukai is the only demon species that always mates for life."

"So you're saying that if I did this with Kagome, she would never be able to separate herself from me, not even in the next life?"

"Exactly. It is because of this that The Sharing of Blood is never done. I don't even know if it would work on Kagome-sama. I only suggested it because of how close the two of you already are."

"What's that suppose to mean?" Inuyasha barked.

"Don't be offended by it, my Lord," Myouga pleaded.

Inuyasha stopped from squishing the small flea demon and sighed at his lack of options. Would Kagome rather die that be bound to him for an eternity? After all, he was only a worthless Inuhanyou. What kind of life could he offer her?

"My Lord?" Myouga decided to interrupt his master's pondering.

"What?"

"I am not familiar with the other consequences that may come of The Sharing of Blood, but there is more than just the binding."

"Like what?"

"I'm not sure."

Inuyasha sighed in defeat. He didn't want Kagome to die, but he didn't know how she would feel about being bound to him. And what about these other consequences? How would Kagome feel about those? All this thinking was giving him a headache.

"Stay here Myouga," commanded Inuyasha as he picked Kagome up from her sleeping bag and carried her out of the campground.

The trees seemed to sing as they swayed in the night's breeze. The half moon shone down between the branches, lighting Inuyasha's way.

When he felt that they were far enough away from the others, Inuyasha stopped walking and sat down at the base of the nearest tree. He held Kagome cradled to his chest so gently it was as if she were glass.

"Kagome," Inuyasha whispered lightly. "Kagome, you need to wake up."

The young girl stirred but did not wake. Inuyasha got an evil glint in his eyes. "Kagome, Shippou threw your bag into the fire."

Kagome sat up with a start and began to mutter curses and the such before she realized where she was and just how much that little movement hurt. "Inuyasha? Where are we?"

"Not far from the others."

"What are we doing out here?"

"You and I need to have a very important talk."

"About what?"

Inuyasha didn't know how he was to continue. Should he bluntly tell her that she was dying or break it to her easily? And if he did break it to her easily, just how would he do that? Better to be blunt.

"Kagome, you're dying. You won't make it to see the sun rise."

For a moment Kagome thought that she had just misheard Inuyasha. But only for a moment. She was dying. It was shocking to say the least.

What's wrong with me? Shouldn't I be about to cry or something? If there were ever a time for tears, it was now. Yet they didn't come, and after awhile, Kagome stopped waiting for the tears. I guess I just haven't accepted it yet. It doesn't seem real. Inuyasha won't let me die. I'll be okay. I know I will.

Inuyasha was silent while Kagome thought over what he had just said. When she didn't start crying he began to worry. "Kagome?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

She shook her head slightly, then looked up at him. "It doesn't seem real."

"But it is."

"I know that, but I don't know that. I would feel like I'm dreaming if it wasn't for the throbbing pain running through my body," explained Kagome with a half smile. "So I'll never see daylight again? How can estimate how long I'm gonna live?"

"I can smell it."

"Really?" Kagome's curiosity perked up. But only for a moment when she realized it wasn't useful information to her anymore. Maybe she should just tell Inuyasha how she felt and die.

Inuyasha was hesitant to tell her about The Blood Sharing, but he knew it was now or never. "There is a way to save you," he whispered.

"There is?" she sounded almost hopeful.

"I'm not positive of all the consequences, but you would live," he assured her.

Well, that might not have been the complete truth, but he hadn't lied to her. He didn't feel like he could tell her about everything he knew, not yet.

"I want to live Inuyasha."

Kagome stayed silent after that, sensing that the inuhanyou didn't want to talk anymore. She didn't have a problem with that, since it seemed that even thinking was a painful activity for her. Inuyasha really wasn't kidding when he said she was dying.

The scent of death was becoming more intense for Inuyasha to endure and he knew he needed to do that Sharing Blood thingy soon or any chance of saving Kagome would be gone.

Putting his fangs to his wrist, Inuyasha ripped the skin away and let the blood flow freely down his arm. "Kagome, you need to drink this."

He held his wrist in front of her mouth and watched as Kagome attempted to swallow his blood. He didn't know how he knew what to do, but at that instant Inuyasha didn't really care. He would think about it later, after Kagome had stopped smelling of death.

Kagome gagged a bit when she first swallowed Inuyasha's blood, but soon it was like she couldn't get enough of it. This liquid was the key to her survival, and she took as much of it as she could without coughing. Kagome was losing herself in the warmth that started to spread through her body. She felt so warm, so safe. She would have fallen asleep had it not been for Inuyasha who had tightened his hold on her. That was the one thing that anchored her to her consciousness.

When he felt like Kagome had gotten enough, Inuyasha took his wrist away from her mouth and stood up to take her back to camp. Kagome fell asleep in his arms, once again. This time though, Inuyasha didn't fear the possibility that she wouldn't wake up.