InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ Shampoo and Fists ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Hi everyone

Hi everyone! I know the last few chapters have been kinda slow coming out and all, but with vacation and all that other stuff, it's been hard finding time to write. I appreciate all the compliments and encouragement you've all been giving me. I can tell you though; this fic isn't by any means going to be short. I have barely begun to write! But I'll try to write a little faster. I just got news that I'll be moving out of the country in November, so I'm trying to find more time to write. And with that, here's the next chapter.

Chapter 11- Shampoo and Fists

The inn at the village had graciously welcomed the group after their stressful battle. It was a relief for all of them to be able to relax for a bit. With Inuyasha as hurt as he was, they would not be able to cover much ground over the next couple of days, and so Kagome had decided for everyone that they would stay in the village until the end of the week. That would give everyone plenty of time to take care of their wounds and gather their thoughts.

Kagome had decided that it was about time everyone knew what was going on, and she told them so. She would wait until Inuyasha was well enough to say his part as well before she spoke however.

No one argued with her. In fact they all quite agreed. Miroku couldn't hide his delight to finally being told what was going on, even if he would have to wait a couple of days. Still, everyone's nerves were on the edge since Inuyasha had died and then miraculously been brought back to life.

Kagome's more than anyone's.

Sango had learned from the maids that worked at the inn that their village had been the target of many youkai attacks for the last six months. More than half of their villagers had been killed. When asked why they didn't leave, Sango was told that anyone who attempted to leave the area was immediately killed, and most savagely by the youkai. Which was why everyone had been most welcoming.

It wasn't everyday after all, Sango mused, that humans welcomed Inuyasha and Shippou into their village and then treated them civilly. That was one of the first things the demon exterminator had noticed about the village.

The outskirts in which they had past after the battle had been completely deserted. Half-destroyed huts littered the area. It wasn't until they had walked some ways where they came upon the walls that protected the inner village.

When the guards discovered that the group before them had killed the hoard of demons that had plagued the village to starvation, they had welcomed them in, going so far as to thank the inuhanyou that had been their savior.

Sango had also noticed the state of the people within the walls. What little children there were were half-starved, dressed in rags and dirt. The adults weren't much better off.

But now that the demons had been destroyed, life would return to the way it was. At least for the villagers it would.

That one battle had forever changed the group that had fought so very hard.

For better, or for worst? That was what was in all their minds.

It would be an understatement to say Inuyasha didn't know how to receive the thanks the humans bestowed upon him. Quite a few times he had to lean towards Kagome and ask her what he should do. After that, Kagome had taken over receiving Inuyasha's `guests.'

At the inn, they had been given the largest room in the house to share, and the best food the villagers could conjure up, for free of charge. Miroku offered to bless the village grounds after the villages made a point of telling them all that they were honored guests. Even after a polite decline of Miroku's offer, for the villagers believed they had all done too much already for them ever to be able to repay, Miroku went ahead and blessed each building and the walls of the village.

Our group had been at the village less than a day, but already they were becoming accustomed to being stopped every five seconds to politely listen to villagers thank them. Well, at least Miroku, Sango and Shippou were. Kagome had not left Inuyasha's side once, and the inuhanyou had not moved from his futon since their arrival at the village.

Inuyasha woke repeatedly, but didn't stay conscious for more than a half-hour. Kagome still wore her blood soaked clothes from the battle, flat out refusing to leave Inuyasha's side so that she could change. She had removed Inuyasha's haori so that she could treat his wounds and cleaned him the best she could, but Inuyasha's silver hair was still crusted with blood. Kagome had decided that the next time the hanyou woke, though, that she would give him a bath.

The miko had told the inn owners to be prepared to draw a bath any time during the day, and from what she knew, the inn owners had done exactly what she had said, keeping the bath water warm over a fire near the bathhouse. To say Kagome was grateful was an understatement.

Miroku returned from his wanderings about the village to find Sango and Kagome changing the unconscious hanyou's bandages. Shippou sat against the wall, playing with a small spin top Kagome had given him.

"How is he?" asked Miroku as he sat down beside Shippou and placed his staff across his lap.

When it was clear that Kagome had not been listening to Miroku, Sango took over the conversation. "I'd say he's healing quite nicely. He'll be back to his old self by the end of the week."

"Good," said Miroku with a sigh of relief.

Just as Kagome finished with Inuyasha's bandages, the hanyou decided to wake up. "How long have I been out?" he asked with a large yawn.

"Not long," Kagome lied.

Inuyasha snorted and attempted to sit up. Surprising him, Kagome helped. He had half expected her to object. "Sango," Kagome said, forgetting to use an honorific, "Could you go tell one of the maids to draw the bath now?"

"Hai, right away Kagome-Chan," replied Sango. The demon exterminator could tell the miko was out of it, Kagome looked like she had been through hell and back again.

"A bath?" Inuyasha asked as Kagome helped him stand.

"Yes. You are taking a bath," Kagome informed him.

"You need the bath more than I do," Inuyasha pointed out.

"I don't care. You're taking your bath now in case you're unconscious later, so shut up and enjoy it."

Miroku looked up in shock at Kagome's choice of language. She must really be tired, he decided, and offered to help. "Kagome-sama, if you would like, I could help Inuyasha with his bath and you could take care of your own needs and find something to eat."

Kagome lifted her nose in the air and acted as if she was insulted by the offer. "No thank you, Miroku-sama. I can manage without your help."

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow at her tone of voice but didn't argue with her. He knew he'd been in for it if he argued.

Kagome and Inuyasha entered the room, which contained the bath just as the maid finished throwing in the last bucket of hot water.

Kagome thanked the maid as she left the room and closed the door after her.

"I don't need your help to bathe, Wench," Inuyasha informed Kagome as the miko began to remove his bandages.

"I'll turn my back while you undress and get in the bath, but I'm not leaving Inuyasha," replied Kagome quite heatedly as she finished removing the last of the bandages.

"Feh."

Kagome kept to her word and turned her back, but the moment she heard Inuyasha get into the water, she turned around and moved to his side.

"Dunk your head in the water," she commanded.

"Why?" replied Inuyasha.

"Because I'm going to wash your hair."

"I can do that myself, thank you."

"I don't care. Do it."

Inuyasha decided to give in at her tone of voice and leaned back far enough to wet his hair. Without another word, Kagome took out her Shampoo that Sango had left in the room this morning at Kagome's request, and lathered Inuyasha's hair. The blood that had stained it previously disappeared and Kagome began to breathe a little easier.

Inuyasha leaned against the wall of the bath and purred at Kagome's ministrations. At first Kagome didn't know if she was hearing was right, but after a moment she decided to take pleasure in the sound and continued to lather his hair. "Rinse," Kagome said finally, much to her reluctance.

Inuyasha dunked his head in the water again while Kagome turned to collect her conditioner. She repeated her ministrations with the conditioner and then handed Inuyasha the soap, telling him to finish washing himself.

Kagome leaned against the wall of the room and closed her eyes while Inuyasha finished bathing. The maid had left a fresh pair of clothes for Inuyasha to change into after his bath, and so the miko waited patiently to reapply Inuyasha's bandages.

Inuyasha looked over at Kagome while he rinsed the soap of his skin. She looked awful. He would of suggested she use the bath after him, but the water was so dirtied from him that he didn't think she would get much cleaner.

He sighed to himself and stepped out of the water, making sure that Kagome didn't decide to open her eyes and look at him. As soon as he had put on the fresh hakama the inn had supplied, Kagome snapped out of her conscious nap and spoke without opening her eyes. "Are you decent, Inuyasha?"

"I guess," he replied.

Kagome opened her eyes and moved to reply new bandages. As she was doing that, though, the inn owner came into the room, ordering a young pair of men to lift the tub and empty it outside. Turning to Kagome, the inn owner addressed her. "If you would like, another bath could be drawn for yourself, milady."

Kagome hesitated before answering, so Inuyasha spoke for her. "She would love a bath."

"Very well," the inn keeper smiled, "You may wait here for the bath, milady, and I will accompany my lord Inuyasha back to his room."

"No." Kagome said for the first time. "Inuyasha and I are not to be separated." The command in her tone surprised the inn owner, but he had no objections and simply bowed before leaving room.

"Are you feeling alright, Kagome?" Inuyasha asked as he sat down carefully once his bandages were complete.

"I'm fine, why do you ask?"

"Because you seem a little stressed, that's all."

"I have a good reason to be stressed!" she replied defensively, but lowered her voice when the men returned with the tub and began to fill it.

"And what's your reason?" Inuyasha asked after the men had left, leaving a full tub.

Kagome took a deep breath before looking away. She didn't want to talk about it.

"Well?" prompted Inuyasha.

"You DIED!" Kagome exploded all in a rush.

"But I'm not dead anymore."

"You still died. I had to watch you die in my arms because I wasn't strong enough to take care of myself!"

"It wasn't your fault."

"Yes it was. You're right. I am weak. All I do is get in the way, and you get hurt for it. This time you died, and it . . . it was all my fault!" Kagome had begun to cry with the last statement, and Inuyasha awkwardly tried to comfort her.

"Stop crying," whispered Inuyasha as he stroked her back and hugged her to him. "It wasn't your fault. I never would have lasted that long without your miko energy helping me. And even if I did die, you brought me back to life."

Kagome stopped crying and just clung to him. When she finally quieted down, Inuyasha suggested she take her bath before the water got cold.

Wiping away her tears, she nodded and turned away. Before she forgot herself, though, she remembered to warn/threaten Inuyasha. "You peek while I get undressed, and I'll make you regret it for the rest of your life."

"Feh, whatever," he replied and closed his eyes.

As soon as Kagome turned her back to undress, Inuyasha discreetly opened his eyes and peeked through a curtain of hair. When Kagome submerged in the water, Inuyasha closed his eyes and tried to act as though he hadn't been peeking.

"You can open your eyes now, Inuyasha. But stay where you are. Don't come any closer."

"Why not?" he asked.

"Because you'll peek, that's why."

"I will not."

"Will too."

"Will not."

They fight was interrupted when there was a slight tapping at the door.

"It's me," yelled Miroku through the screen.

"What do ya want?" Inuyasha called back.

"I have some clothes here for Kagome-sama. The inn keeper's wife gave them to me to give to you to give to her."

"Why didn't she just give them to Kagome?" asked Inuyasha as he slid open the door enough to see Miroku, but not for Miroku to see Kagome.

"I'm glad to see you on your feet again," the monk said when Inuyasha opened the door.

"Whatever. You're changing the subject."

"Oh yes. Well, I suspect that the inn owners believe that yours and Kagome-sama's relationship is at a . . . comfortable level with one another and do not wish to disturb the two of you. They could not find Sango and so gave the task to me. I am also suppose to take Kagome-sama's clothes back to the inn mistress to be washed."

"What gave them the idea that Kagome and I . . .?" Inuyasha tried to think of a proper way to say it, but he didn't have to when Miroku decided to answer the question Inuyasha was trying to ask.

"I think it is the fact that you and Kagome-sama will not be separated, not even while bathing, that gave them that idea. Also the fact that Kagome had not moved from your bedside even to eat since we arrived here gave them more suspicions."

Inuyasha just growled and took the offered clothes. "Wait here while I get Kagome's clothes," he commanded and shut the door.

He set the kimono where Kagome could reach it, making sure he kept his eyes diverted from the said girl as she watched him carefully, and scooped up her school uniform. "Here," he said, handing Miroku Kagome's clothes.

"Inuyasha, now I myself must ask, are you and Kagome-sama-"

Inuyasha turned and shut the door after giving the monk a good bump or two on his head and returned to his position by the wall, sitting down carefully.

Kagome just sighed and rinsed the conditioner out of her hair.

^_^

Outside the bathroom Miroku slowly stood up. "It was only an honest question," he muttered before leaving to find the inn mistress.

^_~

That's all for now folks. I'll try another update for tomorrow. Notice, the key word there, TRY. Laterz~ Fire_goddess