InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ Into the Mountain ( Chapter 25 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 25- Into the Mountain

Kagome yawned as she shook her head to dispel all the little voices that where telling her to just lean back into Inuyasha's arms and sleep. It didn't help that she could feel the vibrations of both Inuyasha and Shippou purring. It made her just want to stay in that position until the end of time.

The young Miko gently sat up; being careful not to wake up the baby kitsune that was on her lap. It was a couple hours before dawn and the only sound was the steady breathing of the room's six inhabitants.

Slowly, Kagome stood up, taking Shippou into her arms and gently disentangling herself from Inuyasha. "Where ya going Kagome?" Inuyasha voice startled her, making her jump.

"I need to go to the bathroom," she replied, looking down at the sleepy hanyou. "Watch Shippou-Chan until I get back," she replied, filling his arms with the slumbering kitsune.

"Don't be long," Inuyasha said and drifted back to sleep, though only lightly. Inuyasha could never sleep fitfully if Kagome wasn't right next to him.

Kagome nodded and quietly slipped out of the room. Her feet made next to no noise on the wooden floor as she strolled down the dimly lit hall. Stepping outside, Kagome quickly located the outhouse. The lamps that lit the walkway shifted in the warm breeze.

Despite the lack of cold, Kagome shivered. The miko shook herself and quickly made her way to the outhouse. After relieving herself, Kagome started back to the room but darted out of sight when she heard voices coming her way.

As she hid behind the tree she chided herself for being so silly. She was a guest at the elder's house; she didn't need to hide. If someone caught her they would assume she was eavesdropping. Kagome had almost made up her mind to go back to the room, no matter who saw her, when the voices made her pause and listen.

"The Lord wishes everyone to assemble quickly," one voice, a young male, was saying.

"Did he have to drag us out of bed?" the other voice said, this one was older and had a tone more laced with authority.

"The `guests' travel with a youkai. Our Lord thought it would be wiser to take them by surprise," the young one replied.

"Who discovered they were traveling to the mountain?"

"The Lord's wife."

"It would be best we kill them sooner than later, I say," said the older voice.

"He wants everyone present incase we are not able to slit all their throats while they sleep."

The older voice sighed as they passed out of Kagome's hearing range. She was stunned for a second, but then was racing back to Inuyasha, being careful no one saw her. She quickly slid the door behind her and thanked the Kamis she hadn't changed into her PJs.

"Inuyasha, Inuyasha wake up," she said quietly but let the panic lace into her voice to let the hanyou know something was wrong. Kagome moved over to Sango and shook her awake, placing a finger over her mouth when the demon exterminator looked as if she was going to say something.

"What's wrong Kagome?" Inuyasha asked as he tapped Miroku on the shoulder and roused the monk.

"We have to get out of here, now," she replied, moving to help Sango pack up her gear.

"What has happened?" asked Miroku, standing to stretch his muscles.

"The village elder, he's planning to kill us," she replied, starting to put all her stuff in her bag.

"Where did you hear this?" asked Inuyasha, all sleep suddenly devoid of his voice.

"When I went out to the bathroom, two lords were walking by and so I hid behind a tree so they wouldn't see me. I didn't know what they were doing or anything; I just didn't want to get caught walking around in the middle of the night. I overheard them talking about how the village elder was planning to slit our throats while we slept. Something about how the elder's wife found out we were going to the mountain," Kagome stopped to breathe.

By then everyone was wide-awake, even Shippou. "We need to get out of here," Kagome continued, "Now."

"Right," Inuyasha nodded. "Let's go then. Kagome, get on my back, we'll travel faster that way. We need to move quickly."

Everyone nodded and Kagome moved to comply. Without a second to spare they were outside, Inuyasha leaping over the walls and high into the air, Sango and Miroku riding on Kirara beside him. Shippou hung onto Kagome for dear life. Everyone looked back to see a small group of fully-grown men with katanas and torches heading towards their previous occupied room.

Inuyasha paused once they were a few miles out of the village. Kirara landing quietly beside him, letting the monk and demon exterminator off. "That was a close one," Sango commented.

"Hai," Miroku nodded. "We were very fortunate Kagome-sama overheard their plans."

Kagome just slumped against Inuyasha, her earlier adrenaline rush wearing off. "Let's keep going," she said. "We might me able to make the mountain by dawn, and I don't want to stick anywhere near the village."

"Agreed," Inuyasha said.

Shippou jumped from his perch on Inuyasha's shoulder and into Kagome's arms. "Kagome," he asked quietly. "Why would those people want to hurt us?"

"Maybe there is something at the mountain they wish not to be uncovered?" said Miroku, hearing the kitsune.

"We aren't going to find out standing around," Inuyasha stated, picking up Kagome's bag from where she had dropped it and taking the miko's hand.

Sango and Miroku followed him; everyone once in a while glancing behind them to make sure no one was coming after them. I don't think I'm ever going to be able to sleep comfortably in a stranger's house again, was Miroku's thought as he shook his head.

Dawn brought the group to the base of the sacred mountain . . . and a spirit shield. "How are we going to get past this?" asked Shippou, sticking his head up from where he had fallen asleep in Kagome's arms.

"Can I help you?" said a new voice as a figure emerged from one of the numerous caves.

"We are looking for the ancient youkai that dwells here," Miroku said politely.

The newcomer walked up to the group, stopping just short of the spirit shield. To everyone's surprise, it was a human adolescent. She had short black hair and pale brown eyes. Scars marred her legs and arms, giving her a much older appearance.

"We are in need of some information concerning a spell," Miroku replied.

"All of you?" she replied with a slight smile.

She didn't wait for an answer before speaking again. "Which spell?"

"The Sharing of Blood," said Inuyasha, making the girl turn her head towards him.

Surprise was evident of the human's face at Inuyasha's answer. It was quickly covered up to be replaced by an emotionless mask. "Very well. My name is Machiko, you may follow me," she said with a nod of her head.

"But what about the spirit shield?" asked Kagome.

"If you are true of heart than it will not hinder you," Machiko replied stiffly.

"Well, damn," muttered Inuyasha.

"I said, true, not pure," Machiko replied, giving a small smile.

Kagome walked through first and the others soon followed. When they all had gotten through Machiko turned and started walking without looking back to see if they were following her.

"Could you tell us," Miroku asked, "What is wrong with the village not far from here?"

"You stopped there?" asked Machiko.

"Hai," the monk replied. "But it seemed at though our stay was not welcomed and we quickly continued on our journey."

Machiko snorted. "Did they try to slit your throats in your sleep?"

"How did you know?" asked Kagome.

"Let's just say the fools lack originality," she replied evasively.

Machiko led them into the winding tunnels that ran throughout the mountain.

"What's a human pup doing in a youkai's den?" Inuyasha asked after a while.

"May I ask how long ago you performed The Sharing of Blood?" Machiko asked, ignoring Inuyasha's question.

"A few weeks ago, why?" Kagome replied.

Machiko didn't answer, but led them into are large cavern which had been fashioned into a large library. The lights hung from the ceiling giving the naturally dark room an unearthly glow.

"Wait here," Machiko said fixedly and left the room without waiting for a reply.

"Who are you?" asked a small voice from behind one of the many tables that cluttered the room. Many of them had scrolls stacked up on them.

"I'm Kagome," the miko said, walking over to the child who was sitting in the middle of a cluster of scrolls.

"I'm Aiko," the little girl said. She could be no more than seven, reminding Kagome a great deal of Rin, Sesshomaru's charge. She had pointed ears like Shippou's and long gray hair. Her eyes were the same color as her hair. She was quite obviously a youkai, but what type Kagome could not identify.

Inuyasha was thoroughly confused. He could smell so many different scents all over the place he wondered how they could all be here without the scent of death anywhere. He could smell human, wolf youkai, kitsune youkai, inu youkai, even hanyou. How could so many different scents be here?

"What is it?" Miroku asked Inuyasha quietly when he saw the hanyou's eyes widen.

"The scents!" he replied quietly. "There are so many different scents."

Inuyasha turned back to Kagome to discover the miko had started up a conversation with a very young wolf youkai. The little youkai's eyes widen when Inuyasha approached. "I never saw a inuhanyou before," Aiko told Inuyasha, standing up to walk over to him, being careful not to step on any scrolls. When she reached Inuyasha, she tugged on his haori sleeve and asked quietly so that only those with demon blood could hear, "Can I touch your ears?"

Inuyasha could have fallen over with shock. Why wasn't this youkai afraid of him or yelling at him or, or something. Most full-blooded youkai would try to kill him for his human blood or make a point of staying away from him as if he were diseased, even ones as young as the youkai that stood before him.

The hanyou couched down so that he was eye level with the little wolf youkai who was no taller than his waist. Aiko smiled and gently touched Inuyasha's ear with the tip of her finger. Inuyasha ear twitched at her touch, but Inuyasha didn't move away.

Miroku, Sango, Shippou and Kagome stared at Inuyasha in shock. "Shippou," Miroku called to the kitsune. "Did you hear what Aiko said?"

"Hai," said Shippou, walking over to the monk. "She asked if she could touch Inuyasha's ears."

Sango and Kagome giggled behind their hands. Inuyasha's face turned a little red. "You're so good with children, Inuyasha," Kagome told him when he stood back up and glared at his pack.

"Feh."

This time everyone laughed, well, everyone except Inuyasha and the wolf youkai who didn't know why everyone else was laughing.

"What's so funny?" she asked Kagome.

"Oh, nothing. Don't worry about it," Kagome replied, smiling at her.

Machiko returned just as Inuyasha was making threats to pound in Miroku's face. "Chiyo-sama will meet with you in her personal study," she announced.

"Chiyo-sama?" Miroku asked.

"Yes," replied Machiko. "She is the one you came to see. Follow me, My Lady has never learned patience despite her years. Aiko-Chan, ready our guests' rooms, I doubt all that needs to be said will be done in the space of a day."

"Hai, Machiko-Chan," Aiko replied, bowing to Inuyasha and Kagome and then racing out of the room.

"The rest of you will follow me. You may leave your belongings here. Aiko-Chan will see to them."

"What did she mean?" Shippou asked Kagome as they followed Machiko down the winding tunnels, deeper into the mountain.

"I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see," the miko replied.

Machiko led the group into a large cavern, perhaps twice as large as the last, though it was hard to tell as most of it was in shadows. In the center was a large chair, something more akin to a throne. It's back faced the group, leaving the figure sitting in it hidden.

"Chiyo-sama," Machiko announced. "I have brought them, the ones that have preformed your father's spell."

^_^

Dun, dun, dun~ I just had to leave it at that. And I know I'll probably get maimed for this, but I don't know if I'll be able to get another chapter out by tomorrow. My schedule is kind of hectic. But no worries, I just might make it yet. Until then, ~ fire_goddess