InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ The Fire Pit Snakes ( Chapter 35 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 35- The Fire Pit Snakes

Inuyasha watched as his companions slept. He could smell the stink of something dangerous nearby, but he didn't know what. His ears twitched every once in a while to the sounds of the fire.

Straining his ears a bit, Inuyasha checked the area surrounding the hut. He could hear a rabbit running into its hole and a night bird hunting not far above the trees. He dismissed these sounds as unimportant.

Concentrating even more, the Inuhanyou blocked out the sounds of his companions, the crackling of the fire and searched for some sign of danger.

There, there it was. The cracking of a twig only a few yards from the hut.

Inuyasha was on his feet within seconds, gently shaking the sleeping miko in his arms awake while lightly kicking Miroku's arm.

Kagome yawned and held on to Inuyasha for balance as he slowly set her down. "Inu-" Kagome was silenced when a clawed hands covered her mouth.

"Ssh, quiet," he whispered.

"What is it?" whispered Miroku, fully awake.

"Something is outside, and it stinks," Inuyasha replied, bending to wake Sango.

"Inuyasha?" Sango yawned questionably.

Miroku held up a hand for her to be silent. Kagome quietly woke Morio and his mother, keeping Shippou in her arms.

"They broke through my wards," Morio's mother whispered as she woke.

"I say it's time for some midnight exercise," Inuyasha smirked, pulling Tetsusaiga from it's sheath. "Miroku, you and Sango stay close to the hut and protect Kagome."

"Inuyasha, I can still fight," Kagome muttered.

"Not while you're carrying my pups you won't," Inuyasha replied.

Kagome sighed and sat down by the fire, stroking her fingers through Shippou's hair. "Fine."

Inuyasha smiled and walked outside the hut. Dozens of glowing green eyes greeted him. "Miroku," Inuyasha said.

Without another word, Miroku had stepped in front of Inuyasha and Sango and unleashed his wind tunnel.

Inuyasha watched as seven of the creatures were sucked up. Morio had been right. The creatures were covered in scales, and from the looks of it, stood on two legs. Their heads were shaped like lizards and their claws and teeth were obviously sharp.

"Alright Miroku, that's enough. You can't have all the fun," Inuyasha said when he noticed the monk was beginning to get tired.

Miroku gave the hanyou a half laugh and replaced the prayer beads around his arm. There were still half a dozen of the creatures left. "Can you hit any of them Sango?" asked Inuyasha.

"I might be able to get two, three if I'm lucky. Look's like you have clean up duty Inuyasha," Sango teased as she released Hiraikotsu, instantly killing two on the release and one on the return.

"Feh! You guys are lucky I'm so generous as to let you fight," Inuyasha snorted, but softened the words with a light smirk.

"You're just too generous `oh great Inuyasha,'" Miroku replied sarcastically.

"Aren't I?"

The creatures were almost to the hut, deciding to charge since their ranks where being thinned quickly. "Fools," Inuyasha muttered and with two sweeps of his sword killed two of the remaining three.

The last creature froze when his comrades fell. "Now," Inuyasha announced, leaping behind the remaining serpent to block his escape. "You're going to tell us what you are and why you're here and maybe I'll kill you quickly."

Inuyasha could smell the fear radiating off the creature. He knew he had him.

"We are called Fire Pit Snakes in our world," the creature hissed. "Or snakes for short, if you prefer."

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow. He had thought the creatures would be as dumb as cattle, but by the creature's language, he had underestimated them. A mistake he would not make again. He took a quick sniff and made sure there were no surprises waiting for him. "Continue," Inuyasha prodded.

"My master sent us here to find someone," said the Snake.

"Who?" asked Miroku.

"Well, by the looks of it, it would be the half-breed."

"What would your master want with me?" asked Inuyasha.

"You preformed the spell, did you not? You have the power and potential to rival a demi-god. You would be very useful to my master, you and your Pack."

"Well, that's a pity, because you're not getting me or any member of my Pack," Inuyasha sneered. "How many more are there?"

"You expect me to tell all?" the Snake asked, half laughing though it was hard to tell through the hisses.

"That or die a very painful death," Inuyasha replied easily.

"I am from the pits of hell. Nothing you could do will reveal more than I have already told. I will tell you one more thing, and then you may kill me. The first test has begun."

"The first test?" Inuyasha repeated.

The snake stayed silent, his green eyes practically laughing. Inuyasha frowned and swung Tetsusaiga, cutting the snake down where he stood.

Kagome stepped out of the hut cautiously and moved to Inuyasha's side. "What do you think?" she asked quietly.

Inuyasha sighed and wrapped his arm around Kagome's waist. "You need to get some more sleep," he replied, leading her into the hut, Sango and Miroku following close behind.

"But what about the snakes?" asked Kagome when Inuyasha set her in his lap.

"I'll take first watch," Miroku said, setting himself by the door. "I can sense the snakes' aura if they try to attack again."

Inuyasha nodded and shifted Kagome into a more comfortable position. "Go to sleep Kagome. We can't do anything right now and I need to think about what that thing said."

"Okay," Kagome sighed and closed her eyes.

Sango stayed awake and situated herself beside Miroku. "I won't be able to go back to sleep," she explained when he gave her a questioning look.

Miroku nodded. "As you wish, lovely Sango."

^_^

Miroku woke everyone up at dawn. Sango had fallen asleep, leaning on his shoulder. So maybe she does like me, he thought absently.

They set out for Kouga's after breakfast, leaving their things behind saying they would be back tonight. Inuyasha wasn't about to stay the night with Kouga's Pack.

They didn't get far when Aiko and Kouga greeted them. "What you doing here, Inuyasha?" Kouga asked.

"We came at a human called Morio's request. He said they were having trouble with some demons they had never seen before, so we decided to come see if you were having the same problems," Inuyasha replied, not about to admit he was there to help the wolves.

Kouga raised an eyebrow but didn't repute it. Aiko coughed lightly into her hand and moved to greet Shippou.

"A human?" Kouga continued. "The humans in that village aren't too friendly."

"I noticed," Inuyasha said dryly.

Kouga laughed and waved a hand for the group to follow him.

A few eyebrows were raised by Kouga's Pack when the group was led to the small spring in front of Kouga's cave. It was strange for them to see Inuyasha and Kouga in the same place without either one of them trying to rip the other's throat out.

"So have you seen them yet?" Kouga asked, taking a seat near the water.

"Hai," Inuyasha replied, sitting down next to Kagome. "They attacked us last night. They're called Fire Pit Snakes."

Kouga snorted. "They're wimpy as hell when it comes to fightin', but their numbers are overpowering."

"That won't be a problem with Tetsusaiga," Inuyasha replied confidently.

"So are you staying in that village?" Kouga continued.

Inuyasha snorted. "And worry about a human slitting my throat in the night, no fucking way."

Kagome giggled. "We are staying in a hut not far from the village," she replied calmly. "The humans weren't very welcoming."

"No shit. They near enough tried to hurt Aiko," he replied, growling. "I don't know why she insists going there for ink, but it's the closest human settlement around. And with these `snakes' around, those people are even more suspicious than usual."

"They are condemning mikos now," Kagome informed him.

"Stupid village. They are going to crumble from within if they start condemning their own people," Kouga muttered, then he seemed to notice something. "Oi, Kagome, when did you get the new ears?"

Kagome blushed before she replied. "Two days ago."

"And your pregnant," Kouga said, raising an eyebrow. "Damn, Inuyasha. You work fast given the chance."

Inuyasha blushed before whacking Kouga upside the head like he would Miroku. Kagome was surprised at how well the two were getting along. It was just so . . . strange.

Kouga laughed and shook his head. "Stay for lunch, we have plenty to go around," he invited them.

"As long as it's not snake," Inuyasha replied.

Kouga laughed again and shook his head. "Rabbit," he replied. "And it's fresh."

"We would be happy to join you for lunch," Kagome said happily.