InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Find Ones Self ❯ One Demon After Another ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
To Find Ones Self

by Lady Tea

Chapter One



“Inuyasha look out!” Kagome called as she stood atop the small cliff watching the battle before her, bow and arrow at the ready. Inuyasha and the others (well except for Shippo that is, he hid safely behind Kagome) were fighting an oversized lizard of some kind. Kagome could sense that it had not one, but two jewel shards. Each placed in both of it’s crimson eyes. The lizard-thing was about 200 yards up at Kagome’s best guess. It’s legs were not like normal lizards, short and skinny in comparison to their body. Instead it’s legs were like that of a cats, except for the furry part. Its legs were covered with small green scales that glittered in the morning light. At the elbow of each leg was like a built in metal armor. The built-in armor covered most of the lizards chest as well. It’s long fangs and crazed eyes were just itching to kill all of them.

The lizard-thing took a swing at Inuyasha with one of it’s clawed hands. Inuyasha just barely dodged the attack. That had been when Kagome called for him to look out. If he heard her, he gave no recognition. He just continued dodging the creatures many attacks and attempted strikes at the lizard-thing.

Kagome’s worried expression did not falter as she set her arrow to the bow and began to aim at the creature, right between the eyes. It was fairly difficult with the creature moving constantly and her fellow companions getting in her line of fire. Kagome let out a frustrated growl.

“Come on Kagome you can do it.” Shippo encouraged.

Kagome only smiled slightly, then got back to the task at hand.

Sango threw her Hiraikotsu at the lizard-thing’s head. It expertly dodged it, then quickly waked it back at Sango with its abnormally long tail. Sango had not time to catch the Hiraikotsu atop Kirara, and the two-tail in turn had no time to dodge the attack. The Hiraikotsu was out of control. It flew faster and faster toward the two before it made a hard impact on Sango’s fragile human body. She barely let out a sound as she was struck with her own weapon and then limply fell from Kirara’s back.

Miroku called out her name and quickly ran beneath her falling form and caught her as she fell, tumbling to the ground with the impact.
Kagome had no time to check if her friend was alright, she had a perfect shot of the creature’s head. She took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Well, here goes!” She yelled as she released her arrow. It quickly shot through the air, once again being surrounded by the blue purity aura. No demon stood a chance against Kagome’s purity arrows.

Her arrow flew straight and true, hitting the lizard-thing smack dab between the eyes. The poor creature never saw it coming. With one final shriek the creature dispersed into pieces, leaving the two jewel shards floating down to the ground.

“You did it Kagome! You did it!” Shippo yelled as he jumped atop Kagome’s shoulder.

“We all did Shippo.” Kagome skirted down the little cliff and ran to greet her friends. Making sure they were okay.

“Great shot Kagome!” Sango congratulated her friend. She looked to be unharmed, but a broken rib or two is hard to notice without closer inspection.

“Yes excellent aim Kagome.” Miroku on the other hand had a big red hand print slapped across his face. Kagome mentally shook her head at his lecherous ways.

“Thanks you guys. But if you hadn’t weakened it I would have never been able to make the shot. It was a team effort.”

“No, no it was all you.” Miroku commended.

Kagome smiled at them both before asking about Sango’s little accident.

“I’m fine, a broken rib maybe, but that’ll heal.” She smiled, and painfully stood up. Miroku jumped to help her only to get pushed away. “I don’t need any help from a lecher like you!”

“Sango you misunderstand me.” Miroku protested. Shippo jumped off Kagome’s shoulder to go scold Miroku. Kagome smiled at the three of them arguing, then walked over to pick up the jewel shards. As soon as Kagome’s fingers touched the tiny fragments they quickly became purified. She smiled to herself and at how much more stronger she had become over the years.

“Keh.” She heard Inuyasha grumble, then the sound of him sheathing his tetsuiga. “I could have killed that demon myself.” He said as he stepped closer to Kagome.

“Could’ve fooled me.” Kagome said cooly. “You were dodging more attacks then making any. You needed my help and you know it.” She smiled at him sarcastically.

“I don’t need anybodies help! Especially yours!”

Why is he so angry all of a sudden.’ Kagome thought to herself. His words offended her and it showed plainly on her face. Sango, Miroku and Shippo stopped their bickering and turned to the couple.

“Well fine! I was only trying to help and if you don’t want it then I’ll just leave!”

Inuyasha had lashed out agin. He mentally smacked himself for it. He actually was proud of Kagome, but whenever he tried to show anything besides his usual gruff manor it just came out all wrong. And he was too prideful to apologize.

“Kagome wait a minute!” Inuyasha called after her as she headed back toward Kaede’s village.

“Sit boy!” was the only response he got before he was forcibly pushed to the ground by the subduing rosary beads around his neck.


***


How can he be so cruel!’ Kagome’s mind screamed. Then she sighed sadly. She wasn’t angry at Inuyasha, only frustrated. She was used to him lashing out at her, calling her wench and just plain being a jerk. She just thought that maybe after almost two years of being with him she could get him to open up to her a little bit. True, she had made some progress, but it just wasn’t enough. It seemed like she was the only one making an effort. She was just tired of it. Tired of always being the one to apologize and always the one to stay loyal. Why couldn’t he apologize? Why couldn’t he stay loyal and commit to her? He was, after all, part dog demon. ‘And I thought dogs were supposed to be the most loyal creatures.’ Kagome smirked at her foolishness. Inuyasha was a human being (well half human at least) not some pet puppy dog she could teach to obey her. ‘I shouldn’t get so worked up. After all, it is how Inuyasha is. I shouldn’t try to change him.’ Kagome smiled at her resolve and turned around to head back to the others only to notice she had no idea where she was. ‘Oh this is just great. I’m lost. How could I get lost? I’ve been in these woods a million times. I should learn to think and walk at the same time.

So being lost and all alone in a familiar woods, Kagome did the only thing she could think of: call for Inuyasha.

“Inuyasha! Inuyasha!!” She yelled at the top of her lungs. He had to hear her with his acute demon senses. She couldn’t have gone so far as to where he wouldn’t be able to hear her.

“Inuyash–!” Kagome stopped herself short when she saw a flash of silver. “Jeeze Inuyasha it–.” Kagome was cut short yet again but this time it was by the thing she thought was Inuyasha. The thing had screamed (a scream that sounded very much like a girl’s) then launched itself at Kagome.

The two, Kagome and the supposed Inuyasha, tumbled to the ground on the impact. Once Kagome had composed herself enough to open her eyes she was very much amazed to be staring up into the sun-darkened face of a female dog-demon. She the most beautiful eyes Kagome had ever seen (except for Inuyasha’s that is). They were of the most radiant turquoise. Her hair must have been the silver Kagome had seen. Though it was the same color as Inuyasha’s it was much, much shorter. It came down right below her pointed demon ears.

The two just stared at each other. Too stunned to do anything else.

“Get back here ssse-demon! That jewel ssssard isss mine!” Hissed a very angry snake demon. The snake demon had emerged from the very same bushes that the she-demon had only moments before.‘Just one demon after another today.’ Kagome thought.

The girl rolled off of Kagome and onto the ground. Her turquoise eyes filled with fear as she coward back from the snake demon.

Kagome looked at the girl in disbelief. Never before had she met a demon as cowardly as her. She was a much more superior demon then this lowly snake, but still she backed away in fear.

The snake demon hissed with laughter. “Coward, you back away from me in fear.” it laughed some more. All the while edging closer and closer to the two of them.

“I wouldn’t come any closer if I were you!” Kagome stuck a finger out at the demon.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” The she-demon next to her mumbled.

“You ssssould lissen to the coward, lowly human!”

“I don’t think so!” Kagome stood up and faced the demon. It wasn’t all that big. In fact Kagome was eye level with the slithering demon. That is, until it brought itself higher and higher until it stood a good two feet above Kagome’s head. Still she showed no fear.

“You sssstill do not fear me? You truly are a fool!”

“Hmph. You talk big for a demon who’s about to be killed!”

“Why yo–!” the snake demon was cut short by a pair of demon claws cutting through its body.

“Iron reaver soul stealer!” Inuyasha yelled as he sliced through the demon’s body. It never stood a chance. When the task was done Kagome ran into the arms of her beloved hanyou. He awkwardly wrapped his left arm around her. (His right being covered with blood from the snake demon)

Kagome looked up into Inuyasha’s amber eyes with mock-animosity. “Took you long enough. I could’ve been seriously hurt you know.”

“Well you didn’t sound to concerned about that a moment ago when you taunted that demon.”

“I was being brave, and besides, I knew you’d come and save me.”

“Damn right. But next time leave the brave part to me okay?”

Kagome nodded her head in agreement. A small cough interrupted the two ‘love-birds.’ They both drew their attention to the she-demon on the ground before them.

“Who’s that?” Inuyasha asked.