InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To know you is to know myself... ❯ Yuka, Eri, and Ayumi ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 5 – Yuka, Eri, and Ayumi


They both walked in relative silence as poor Inuyasha was still adjusting to his new, weaker body, and poor Kagome was still adjusting to her crazily advanced senses. Not only could she smell the cars passing by, she could smell the people inside the cars. She could hear so many people talking all around her, it almost became white noise, like when you’re inside a crowded and echoing convention hall. At least that allowed her to concentrate more on Inuyasha, except he wasn’t saying anything…

Once they entered the store, her nose went haywire, picking up the scent of just about every single different piece of food within the entire building. It smelled good, albeit distracting, but since she didn’t need to rely on her nose for finding what it was she was looking for, they continued to walk in silence, as they headed straight down to where the instant noodles where located. She did start to notice, along the way, that she was picking up whispers of people who were all talking about her, about the freaky looking guy with the long white hair, and what’s with the outfit? Some of them commented. She never realized people would be talking behind Inuyasha’s back like this, it must really upset him.

“Inuyasha……” she started to whisper, wanting him to at least look at her.

“Just in and out, quickly, and back to where it’s safe, I can’t protect you like this….” He quietly whispered, knowing she’d hear him.

So that was why he looked so distant, he was stretching what little senses he had, in hopes of catching any possible danger before it struck. He probably knew how all the people were staring at her, and wasn’t comfortable with it, at all.

“Inuyasha….I’m sure it’s safe here.” He flashed her an unbelieving look, and she continued. “I know that people are talking and staring, but it’s not like any of them are going to attack me.”

“You never know.” He stated matter-of-factly.

They almost reached the check out, when Kagome suddenly froze in place, indicating to Inuyasha that she smelt something troubling, again.

“What?” he asked, slight fright in his borrowed voice

“Oh no…” Kagome groaned, then tried to shove him towards the line even faster, hoping they wouldn’t see him….

“Kagome!” her three friends called

“Damn.” Inuyasha heard Kagome mutter under her breath.

“What? It’s just your friends.”

“You don’t know them…..” she muttered through clinched teeth.

“Kagome! How are you?” They all pretty much asked in unison.

“Fine.” Was the simplistic response

“How’s that rash?” Asked Eri

“Yeah, that had to be hard on you.” Commented Yuka

Inuyasha flashed Kagome a look of confusion, only to see the hanyou face staring back at him was clinched tight with embarrassment, with a look in the eyes that could only mean to say ‘kill, grampa’ so Inuyasha took the initiative, and looking back at the three friends, simply mumbled “It’s better, I’m getting better.” Leaving it as simple as possible.

Suddenly, the three friends noticed Kagome’s companion, like how could they not, right?

“Ooo, is this your boyfriend?” asked Ayumi

“Huh?”

“You know!” whispered Eri, jabbing whom she believed to be Kagome, in the side, with her elbow, “The jealous one? The one you’re always talking about!”

“I’m standing right here…..” Kagome suddenly mumbled, pretending to be Inuyasha.

“So….does this mean you’ve chosen Kagome?” Yuka drilled, arms crossed, foot taping on the floor.

Kagome didn’t know what to say. This was some way for Inuyasha to find out that she talked about him to her friends. She did a lovely Inuyasha impression while she just stood there, blank faced, glancing over at Inuyasha a few times, silently asking for the help she knew he couldn’t give, even if he understood what was going on. But suddenly, she felt a hand joined in her own, and looked down to see she was holding Inuyasha’s hand, or rather, he was holding hers, as he looked up into her amber eyes, whispering “just tell them yes” so quietly, Kagome was the only one who heard it. Finally, she spoke.

“Yes, I have.” The girls heard ‘Inuyasha’ say.

“Promise you won’t break her heart again?” Eri chimed, joining in Yuka’s interrogation.

Kagome felt a tiny squeeze from the hand she held, and responded. “I promise.” In a smiling tone of voice. She then, for extra emphasis, glanced over at the figure of herself next to her, and smiled lightly.

“Awwww, you two are so cute together!” bellowed Ayumi

She then hugged ‘Kagome’ goodbye, bowed slightly to ‘Inuyasha’, and the three friends headed out the door.

As soon as they were out of range, Kagome let out a big breath she hadn’t been aware she was holding, and glancing back over at Inuyasha, she gently released his hand, and mumbled “Thanks for playing along, I know they can be a pain.”

“They’re just concerned for you…..” was his unexpected reply.

“I suppose you’re right.” She agreed.



They bought their ramen, as well as some candy they’d picked up for Shippo, and were now heading back down the street towards the shrine.



“When did I break your heart?” Inuyasha suddenly asked out of the blue.

“Huh?” Gasped a startled Kagome.

“One of your friends, she asked you, asked me really, or more threatened actually, to promise I’d never break your heart ‘again’.” He emphasized the word again… “What’d she mean by that?”

“Don’t worry about it, okay?” was Kagome’s somber response. “It’s in the past, it’s not important.” Her voice sounded rather depressed all of a sudden.

Inuyasha looked at her in confusion for a moment, but decided to let the subject drop, seeing the heart ache it was apparently still causing her.

````````````````````````````````````````

Back at the shrine, they were unsuccessful at excusing themselves from staying for dinner, but found it easy enough to keep up the persona of being each other, so long as they kept the dinner conversation focused on the feudal era. They each ended up telling a story about Miroku and Sango, and when they came into the story, they remembered to play each other, so Kagome would comment on stuff that ‘Kagome’ did, and vice versa. Kagome was also secretly impressed with Inuyasha’s abilities to eat like a gentlemen, er, lady, as while having claw-free hands, he seemed to manage gripping the eating utensils with much less trouble. Trouble Kagome now found she herself was having, but since they were used to Inuyasha’s eating habits, it didn’t bother her as much after a moment, when she realized nobody was paying attention.

They were also unable to get Kagome’s mother to agree that they needed to head back that night, and so they both headed up to Kagome’s room, where they’d both be staying the night. Kagome decided not to even bother bringing up the concept of pajamas, as Inuyasha was used to never having to change his clothes. It wouldn’t hurt anything if he slept in that shirt and jeans, and wore them again tomorrow, not like he really did anything to get them dirty anyway. With a few last minute verbal instructions on how the ‘facilities’ worked, it was Inuyasha’s turn to use the bathroom. He tried to hide the blush that stained his cheeks when he reentered her room a few minutes later. Kagome was already in bed, snuggled up against the wall as far as she could go, to make room for Inuyasha next to her.

“Ka….Kagome?”

“I ain’t sleeping on the floor, this is my bed. And you ain’t sleeping on the floor, ‘cause my body’s not as resilient, and you’ll be all stiff in the morning.”

At her last comment, Inuyasha mused to himself, wouldn’t be the first time, he was ‘all stiff’ in the morning. Then shaking the perverted thoughts from his mind, he joined Kagome in the bed, and together, the two tried to get some much needed sleep.