InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Tell The Truth... ❯ Epilogue

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]





Epilogue…






The next morning, Inuyasha awoke with the sun, surprised for a moment to find himself rousing as he realized he had actually fallen asleep, and not just the light dozing he normally only permitted himself, but a deep, restful sleep. Last night wasn’t the first time he’d found himself falling asleep on Kagome’s bed, but it was certainly the first time he’d done so naked, with an equally naked Kagome still lying asleep in his embrace come morning. It wouldn’t be the last time, of that he was sure.

Content to let the girl in his arms continue to sleep for however long her body needed it, the hanyou remained motionless, soundlessly taking in the lingering scents of their joining with every breath, the edges of his lips quirking up into a grin. Kagome was his.

Kagome is mine.

It truly was a dream come true.

Part of him would’ve loved to have laid like that forever, but unfortunately, if they ever wanted any hope of completing the fantasy in its entirety, it meant that Naraku had to be taken care of once and for all, and in order to do that, it meant they had to return to the past, which meant that Kagome had to wake up. Inuyasha still decided to let the girl to do so on her own, but he knew it was only a matter of time, and when that time finally came, as she groaned low in her throat while simultaneously stretching her body, he reluctantly released his hold on her so that she could move and stretch as her waking body demanded.

The first thing Kagome noticed upon regaining consciousness was the incredible feel of youki brushing up against her miko aura, although unlike the night before, this time she was already well aware of the fact that Inuyasha was in her room, and therefore the energy against her mind’s eye didn’t startle her. Not only was Inuyasha in her room, but he was also in her bed, which she quickly remembered as she did her morning stretches only to realize that her body was still held flush against his own. Despite herself, Kagome wasn’t embarrassed by the realization, or the realization that they were both still naked. She had no reason to feel embarrassed in his presence any longer.

Apparently realizing that she was awake and in need of shifting, he released her in that moment, and Kagome took full advantage as she stretched her legs and arms, before rolling over to face him.

“Hey.” she greeted upon noting how his wakeful eyes were gazing right at her.

“Hey.” he greeted in return, adding “How do you feel?”

Unconsciously biting her lip, Kagome was nervous that the tea was going to make her confess that she actually felt a little sore, but then quickly realized that she’d yet to answer his question at all, which could only mean…

“The tea’s worn off!” she blurted, which hadn’t been what he’d been expecting her to say. Needless to say, Inuyasha was somewhat taken aback.

“So…you gonna start being dishonest with me now, or what?” he asked, though he was mostly just teasing. His tone of voice was playful, but Kagome could detect the slightest trace of genuine uncertainty behind his question.

“Careful what you say while you’re still under its influence, or I’ll have you confessing your darkest fears.”

He snorted playfully at her empty threat, reaching a hand up to gently tap her nose with an index finger.

“You don’t have to ask, I’ll tell you. My darkest fear is losing you because of a failure on my part.” Taking a moment to breathe after voicing such a thing out loud got his heart beating a little faster than he liked, he calmed down a bit before adding, “Now answer my question. You were obviously hesitating about something or you wouldn’t have realized the tea had stopped working.”

“I…” Sighing, she confessed, “I am a little on the sore side, but it’s really no big deal.”

With apologetic eyes, he mumbled, “If you’re sure.”

Smirking, Kagome got his attention by tracing her index finger against his lips, as she cooed, “If not, you can just keep ‘making it up to me.’”

Laughing at her words, Kagome smiled as she realized she’d never heard Inuyasha laugh before in such a light, carefree manner. For once in his life, he was genuinely, truly happy, and he deserved every bit of it.

Finally deciding upon the sound of Kagome’s stomach rumbling that the two of them should probably get out of bed and head into the kitchen for something to eat, climbing out of bed together naked was proven to be no more embarrassing than waking up naked in each other’s arms. Getting ogled by your partner wasn’t really that big of a deal, after all, especially when you could stare right back. In fact, they each took a little longer getting dressed than they probably needed to, allowing each other ample time to look. It didn’t take long before their imaginations started kicking into overdrive, and things almost started progressing in a manner very similar to the night before, until a second growl from Kagome’s stomach reminded the hanyou that his woman was human, and that humans needed to eat on a much more regular basis than youkai did. He would not allow Kagome to put her health in jeopardy, especially over something like forcing her to skip breakfast just so they could-

“You want to do it again, don’t you?” she asked him suddenly, breaking the silence as they descended the stairs.  

“Yes…” he reluctantly admitted while sending her a sidelong glare for the question.

“Just let me get some breakfast in us first.” Kagome answered, reaching for his hand and giving it a little squeeze as they passed through the living room and into the kitchen. “We’ve got all day.”

``````````````````

After thoroughly enjoying taking advantage of her empty house, including sharing a bath together and spending an additional night cuddled and naked in her bed, not to mention other, more ‘adventurous’ activities, it was after breakfast the following morning that the miko and hanyou finally gathered up whatever supplies they needed before heading back through the well. Kagome knew she needed to have that talk with her mother sooner rather than later, but Inuyasha had assured her that he was more than capable of resisting her during the time of month when she would be most likely to conceive. At least until she could get herself on that ‘birth control’ medicine she had told him about. Would the wonders of her time never cease to amaze him?

When the effects of his tea had finally worn off in the middle of his second night in Kagome’s time, Inuyasha had promised to always try his best to be completely honest with her on his own. It would not be a good idea for either of them to ever deliberately expose themselves to that potion again, because at least when it came to facing the enemy, one needed to maintain the ability to tell a lie. However, when it came to each other, they needed to be honest, no ands ifs or buts. The ‘not lying’ to her part definitely wasn’t a problem. The ‘being completely honest’ to her part was a little different, though. He was a very private person by nature, and it would be hard to answer some questions with anything other than “None of your business.” He would try, though, and she had his permission to call him on it if he ever unconsciously reverted back to his old ways. Of course, it worked the other way around, too, and if he ever caught her acting mopey and asked her what was wrong, she wasn’t allowed to put on her fake smile and brush it off as though it were nothing, even if he himself was the cause of her upset. Though granted, now that the whole ‘Kikyou’ business had been resolved, odds were good that he wouldn’t be upsetting her nearly as often as he used to.

Once back in the past, Miroku and Sango shared knowing looks with the blushing couple, but a threatening wave of Hiraikotsu was all that was needed to keep the monk’s more lecherous thoughts to himself. All perversions aside, the taijiya and houshi were both extremely happy for their friends.

It was a little awkward for Inuyasha, at first, to openly show his affection for Kagome whenever the girl tried to sit against him in the presence of their friends, leaning her head on his shoulder, or resting her hand on his leg, but despite his mild embarrassment, Inuyasha actually appreciated the fact that Kagome was so willing to be open about their relationship. Even though there were a few scattered people out there who were willing to be with a youkai, those relationships were always kept extremely secret. Kagome acted like she didn’t care who knew about the two of them being together. Of course, after some mildly frustrating persuasion, Inuyasha finally got the girl to agree to not be so open regarding their level of closeness while at foreign villages or any other time they were in the presence of strangers, for her own safety. In Kaede’s village, however, it didn’t take long for it to become public knowledge, and thanks to the elderly miko’s influence, they never received any hassles from any of the local villagers for their relationship. Instead of ostracizing Kagome, they actually started treating him with greater respect. Kagome would always be a kami-send in their eyes, no matter what, so her open acceptance of him eventually earned the hanyou the title of “Inuyasha-sama”.

Once Kagome needed to return home again, she finally had that ‘talk’ with her mother, and Inuyasha was welcomed into the Higurashi family with open arms…at least by her mother and Souta. Kagome’s grandfather was a little harder to please, but even he reluctantly accepted the hanyou eventually, after Inuyasha had agreed to properly wed the miko. Although she couldn’t legally get married until the age of sixteen, her birthday was only a few months away, and since no marriage between her and Inuyasha would be legally binding in their time, anyway, her Jii-chan had seen no point in the delay, and so under the shade of the Goshinboku, he’d performed the ceremony himself, and the two were wed in the eyes of the kami. Although common villagers back in the Sengoku jidai didn’t go through official wedding ceremonies, Inuyasha had been familiar with the concept because it was something already done in his time among the higher families. A wedding, to him, was less about joining merely those two people, and literally about joining two whole families together, tying them together via the two people who had been pared. For Kagome’s grandfather to marry the two of them, officially, it meant so much to the hanyou, to truly be accepted into their family like that. He would never be able to repay them, but he would try his best, by always making sure that Kagome was happy and well taken care of. It was all Mrs. Higurashi had asked of him.




It was one year to the day, on her sixteenth birthday, when all that had been done was finally undone. The shattered jewel, whole, and temporarily in the hands of the enemy; the final battle against Naraku was long and dangerous, but with the help of some likely, and some not so likely allies, they were victorious against the dark hanyou.




Kouga had been furious the first time he’d come around after the fact to learn that Kagome and Inuyasha were officially together, but instead of challenging Inuyasha for the girl, it turned out he was mostly upset with himself, for waiting too long to claim her as his own. The ookami-youkai had admitted to knowing of Kagome’s feelings for the hanyou, but he’d simply thought that nothing would ever come of it and that Kagome would remain available. He would have taken her away much sooner, but he hadn’t wanted to settle down until after the defeat of Naraku, which he’d then promised was still on his agenda, agreeing to work together more peacefully with the inu-tachi in their shared goal now that there was no longer a reason for he and Inuyasha to fight.

Reluctantly, Inuyasha had also agreed to put their past differences aside, since the wolf had vowed to not cause any problems between him and his mate. They had even come to the wolf’s aid when Kouga eventually lost his jewel shards, nearly losing his life in the process, before they’d been able to defeat the hordes of lowly insect-youkai that had been sent to collect his shards. Kouga, along with Ginta and Hakkaku, had joined up with the inu-tachi on that day. Naraku’s defeat was near.

Sesshoumaru had been rather indifferent to the fact that Inuyasha had taken Kagome as his, since the hanyou was already beneath him and claiming a human woman in such a vile way had only validated that point of view. But nevertheless, the Daiyoukai had also been there during the final battle against Naraku, offering assistance even as he denied doing such a thing, demanding that they “stay out of his way”, even when he saved somebody’s life as part of making that demand. After the battle was over, he’d strolled off without a word, which also meant he hadn’t made any last minute insults or claims on Inuyasha’s life. Kagome suspected that while Sesshoumaru might always despise Inuyasha’s existence, a little bit, he didn’t really hate him as much as the hanyou thought he did. Perhaps the Daiyoukai just didn’t have it in him to kill a son of his father.

Of course, Kikyou had played an active role in Naraku’s destruction, herself. It wasn’t as if she had truly instructed Inuyasha to do away with the dark hanyou solely by his own hand with no assistance. Above all, it was Naraku’s death that Kikyou craved, and should Inuyasha still be alive at the time of Naraku’s death, then his soul was his. She’d truly had no intention of screwing over her own future-self, after all, and as for Kagome, she and her preincarnation had actually spoken a few times prior to the final battle against Naraku, developing strategies, discussing possible weaknesses…

The first time Kikyou’s soul collectors had made themselves known after the incident with the truth-tea, Inuyasha had told Kagome that he needed to see what Kikyou wanted, because it most likely had something to do with Naraku, but then he’d also brought Kagome along with him, just so there would be no misunderstandings between him and either miko. Surprisingly, or perhaps not, Kikyou had been civil towards Kagome, and once the dark hanyou had started making his presence known again with increased activities across the countryside, the three of them had begun meeting on a fairly regular basis to compare notes. Kikyou had ended up being a key player in Naraku’s demise, and upon his defeat, she had pulled his soul into Hell - along with the Shikon no Tama - her revenge complete, her spirit satisfied and ready to be reincarnated as Kagome, to start the cycle all over again.

Once the dark hanyou was gone, things quickly became more peaceful for the inu-tachi, as Sango and Miroku settled down in Kaede’s village, ready to share their lives together. Kohaku hadn’t survived, the boy having apparently outlived his usefulness when Naraku had plucked the shard from his neck to complete the jewel, but with Miroku’s help, his wife was learning to grieve properly and move on.

Speaking of moving on, upon the dark hanyou’s death, Kikyou wasn’t the only one who had collected her revenge, and so the trio of ookami-youkai headed north to join up with the mountain clan.

After a few days of pussyfooting around, Inuyasha and Kagome finally discussed what could no longer be avoided…the issue of where to live…or more accurately, ‘when’.

Fortunately, they had discovered that they could still travel back and forth through the well, so long as they did so together. Without even thinking about it Kagome had gone home to tell her family the good news while Inuyasha said that he would follow after her later, only to get the fright of his life when Shippou had asked, almost in a panic, if Kagome would be stuck on her side of the well now that the jewel was gone. Rushing after her as fast as he could, Inuyasha had been relieved beyond measure when the blue lights of time engulfed him, happily depositing him into Kagome’s world. Upon realizing what a horrible mistake they could have made, Kagome hadn’t even wanted to chance allowing Inuyasha to return to his own time alone, and so he hadn’t returned until Kagome was ready to head back too, and he’d held her tightly in his arms as he’d made the leap, silently praying for this one miracle. He’d always been able to bring Kagome back to the past with him before when she hadn’t had a jewel shard, but the jewel had still existed at that time, and they truly had no idea what tied Kagome to the magic of the well.

With the knowledge that she could actually still see her family from time to time, so long as Inuyasha went with her since he was needed to bring her back into the past again afterwards, it made the decision easier for Kagome when she finally announced her choice to remain in the past as her permanent home. It simply wasn’t practical to ask Inuyasha to live with her in the future. He would never be able to get a job, he would never be able to provide for her by her time period’s standards, and that would secretly eat him alive, she was sure. In his time, in his world, he didn’t need money to make sure she had everything she needed to be secure, warm, fed and happy. The benefit of being able to visit the future was truly a blessing, though even if she’d had to choose only one world or the other, Kagome was sure she would’ve picked Inuyasha’s world in the end. After all, he was her world, and all she truly needed.

Three months after she stopped taking the pill, Kagome was pregnant. The fantasy was finally reality, and to tell the truth, it was a dream come true to both of them.  



~ Fin ~






Converting /tmp/php7lXq3E to /dev/stdout