InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Twilight Cleansing ❯ Twilight Cleansing ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
He wanted to run, to sprint, to dash up and down the mountain sides. He wanted to rejoice with his tribe. He wanted to forget of the priestess, and fetch the wolf princess from up north. He wanted to forget, he wanted to start over. He wanted to change.

Despite all that had happened though, he couldn’t deny… that even though Naraku was gone, he didn’t kill him. Even with the Goraishi, he couldn’t manage to defeat that menacing demon. It had been Inuyasha, that stupid half-demon, and Kagome who had dealt the final blow. It was true, Kouga had attempted to take vengeance through Kagura to calm the tribe of her slaughter on them, but the wind sorceress hadn’t fought back. She just stood there, taking blow after blow, smiling. It had only made him feel worse.

He let her live, too. She had fainted after so much of his attacking, and he she looked so pitiful that he couldn’t bring it upon himself to destroy her.

Naraku was gone, but he, the warrior and wolf prince, wasn’t supposed to be alive. He was… supposed to be dead. He didn’t plan on surviving.

The wars had finally ceased, for now at least. His chest ached, trying to breath with the armor constricting him. His legs trembled if he stood still too long, and his calves were still bleeding and still sore from where he’d torn the Shikon no kakera out, giving them over to Kagome.

“It’s about time,” Inuyasha had sneered. “Now you can purify them and we can leave.”

“But…” Kagome had looked at the half-demon, then up at the wolf prince before she stared down at the two shards. “They’re <i>already</i> purified.”

Kagome had told him, he had a pure and kind soul, but he hadn’t pondered it. He had been told many times by the priestess that he was kind, but… pure? It wasn’t possible. Demons weren’t pure.

He wasn’t one to brood, especially on the past, but as he crept down the mountain and shed his armor, throwing the dirty and cracked leather into a ditch, he began to brood. He felt gloomy, but happy at the same time. He felt so dirty, yet clean. As he reached the base of the mountain, a river that went down the mountain turned into a waterfall, much larger than the one that covered his den, but the water was warm and clean in this time of season.

Kouga stared at the water which reflected the dark-blue sky and smiled slightly. He’d cleanse himself and then leave for the princess. As he slipped out of his furs and undid the thong that held his hair up so tightly, he couldn’t help imagining a life soon to come. He realized how silly he had been, chasing after Kagome and still trying to avenge his tribe… rejecting the princess and forgetting her, and then lying to her after he’d remembered.

The water was cooler than he’d expected, but it felt good none the less. He dunked his head under the water and brought his head back up, his hand wiping his bangs back from his eyes. He swam through the water until he reached the waterfall. He leaned his arms back along the rock, sighing deeply as water spilled over his face and knocked his hair flat all around him. He shook his head once as his tail quivered beneath the water.

His eyes slipped closed, the stars leaving his sight. It was time to start over, time to begin anew. Kouga smiled at the thought. He would bring the wolf princess here, pillow her gently in a cave filled with nothing but soft furs. They would have cubs, future leaders if they wished to be. There would be peace in the Yoroujoku, right?