InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Twins Travel Together ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 2

 

 

“Kinuki!” Kagome exclaims, her voice full of worry.

 

‘Damn it.’ She thinks.

 

This had happened a few times. Whenever Kinuki overexerted herself she’d keep the fact that she was exhausted completely hidden, until she could deal with her fatigue and tiredness and pain alone. Always alone.

 

In fact, Kagome and their mother only knew of Kinuki’s fainting spells, because one had happened when she’d been beaten up by some older bullies picking on Sōta when they’d still been young.

She’d taken him home, told him she was fine, despite the forming bruises, scratches and other injures her body was covered in.

She’d taken a warm bath, and their mother had taken care of her, up until the point where Kinuki had admitted that she couldn’t take it anymore, and had fainted on the spot. Had their mother not been there, she would’ve, most likely, drowned.

Kagome had only seen their mother carrying a still wet Kinuki to her room, and had sworn to keep the secret from Sōta.

She’d always had a frail body.

 

The doctors said they could never find a reason for it. In all the ultrasounds, Kinuki had been lively and healthy, while she had been the quieter one, and then, right after both their births, something had happened.

 

Kagome smiled as she reminisced the time her mother had told her and Kinuki the story of their miracle birth, moving to let Kinuki use her lap as a pillow, and spreading the blanket over her sister.

 

She’d been born first, and, when her mother had held her, she’d seen a Kagome sign shining on her chest, which had given her her name, but, she’d been having trouble breathing. Then, Kinuki had come along, and Hikari had sworn a sparkling golden light had lit up the room, and Kagome had started breathing normally, while Kinuki, had fallen asleep instantly, immediately worrying everyone present.

 

The memory was a fond one. Kagome loved her family dearly, just as Kinuki did, but the girls agreed that it was always nice to have a bit of girl time sometimes.

Kagome sighed, looking up at the stars, and almost having a heart attack when Inuyasha suddenly appeared out of the trees, landing in front of her with glowing eyes and silent feet.

 

“What the hell?!” Kagome whisper-yelled, not wanting to wake Kinuki while she was still recovering.

 

“Can’t you appear like a normal person?” She asked, wondering what he was doing here this late at night.

 

Inuyasha responded as was typical of him.

 

“Keh.”

 

She waited, knowing he had to have a reason to seek her out at this hour.

After a weighty pause, Inuyasha’s jaw tightened as he finally spoke.

 

“… She tell you anything?” His tone clued her in that, even if Kinuki hadn’t told her, she had spoken to Inuyasha.

 

Kagome shook her head, no.

 

“Just that she wanted to wait to talk to us until tomorrow.”

 

Inuyasha shifted his stance at those words.

 

So, they were staying another day.

It didn’t take him long to realise that something else was weighing on Kagome’s mind. She was fidgeting with her hands, and biting her lower lip uncertainly.

 

“Just ask.”

 

Kagome’s head shot up, wide-eyed, to look at him as he said those words.

Inuyasha just sighed, moving closer and crouching down in front of the two girls.

 

“I ain’t going to kill you for asking a question.” He said, his fangs gleaming in the moonlight as he smirked.

 

The action caused Kagome to shrink in on herself a little, her pulse leaping in an immediate response to danger. She recovered quickly enough, but honestly, Inuyasha was glad she reacted so normally. Whereas Kinuki was impossible to read, Kagome was an open book. No, that wasn’t quite right, Kinuki was… different. He wasn’t sure how to deal with her.

 

“What did she tell YOU?” Kagome asked pointedly. For a human… miko, she was incredibly perceptive.

 

“…She did it to protect you.” His voice was suddenly very quiet, Kagome having to strain her ears to hear him, and she felt her breath catch, when she caught a glimpse of his expression.

Wistful, desolate, sad.

She felt as though she were drowning in an endless stream of autumn leaves.

Only when he avoided her gaze, moving his face so that it was partly shadowed, did his words fully register with her.

 

At her soft chuckles, Inuyasha moved to look at her again.

 

“Yeah. She’s always been that way. That’s just Kinuki.”

 

Now it was Inuyasha’s turn to stare.

Her voice was so full of love. So soft and gentle, but her expression was strained and there was such bittersweet emotion in her eyes it looked as though it may spill over at any moment.

 

Inuyasha feels his own expression twisting. He’d never had what these twins shared. His father died the night he was born, his mother only a few years later, and his brother… He was of no relation to that cold-blooded monster, he’d been told that often enough.

 

It was in moments like these that Inuyasha cursed his human heart. He was susceptible to emotions in a way that could easily be implemented against him, and his foolish heart still refused to give up hope that a bastard half-breed could ever be wanted by someone.

Not even liked, just wanted.

 

Shaking his head free of such weak thoughts, Inuyasha gets back to his somewhat stunted conversation with Kagome.

 

“What do you mean by always?” His expression showed genuine confusion and, Kagome had to blink a few times to assure herself she wasn’t imagining things, curiousity.

 

Her expression softens, and she recounts the tale of her and Kinuki’s birth. The strange swap of characteristics, the frailty of her little sister’s body, Kinuki’s protective nature and pure heart. Her tendency to keep things to herself so as not to burden others.

 

That admittance surprises a bark of laughter out of Inuyasha.

 

When he notices Kagome’s quizzical stare, not to mention the pinch in her brow as her eyes slide toward the sleeping form of her sister, he decides to elaborate.

 

“She’s always asking about others, wanting to lighten their burdens, but she won’t let anyone do the same for her?” Kagome nodded, her eyes shimmering sadly.

 

“Her burden is already so heavy, she sees no reason to burden someone else with it; I don’t know a lot about you, so I can’t judge, but, most people imagine the weight of their burdens to equate to a rock, when, in reality, they weigh about as much as a handful of pebbles.”

 

Inuyasha nods almost subconsciously, he can relate to that alright.

 

How many humans committed suicide because they lost their crops to a flood, were intimidated by the existence of youkai, or other such everyday occurrences?

 

Kagome continued,

“Kinuki does the opposite. She bears a much heavier burden, that must weigh as much as a boulder, but she wills herself to believe it’s only a little bird, chirping a happy song of distraction on her shoulder. And every unfortunate soul she meets, she talks to, comforts, helps, and adds another feather to the bird on her shoulder.” Kagome’s voice cracks, but, much to Inuyasha’s surprise, and silent awe, she doesn’t cry.

 

 

“Anyway, what’s your burden?”

 

Inuyasha blinks at her, slowly realising she’d actually asked him a question, and considering his reply.

 

His lips quirk into an uncertain smile as he settles on his response.

 

“One that’s probably the size of a mountain.”

 

At Kagome’s inquiring gaze, and Kinuki’s changed breathing pattern, Inuyasha decides to tell the girls a little bit of his story. After all, if they let down their guard, it would make it that much easier for him to get the jewel.

 

“Did Kaede tell you about the jewel?” He asks, already half-knowing the answer, but not wanting to talk without them understanding him.

 

Kagome nods.

 

Inuyasha continues.

 

“It has the power to grant any wish. A merged form of youkai and miko energies that are constantly at war with one another crystalized in the heart of a warrior. The jewel can be used to defeat the strongest of enemies, to give you more power than you’d ever thought possible, to change you in ways that would be naturally impossible.” Inuyasha’s hands curled into fists as he spoke. His eyes gleaming in the moonlight. Awake, alive and hungry.

 

 

“I’d wish to be a full youkai.” He said resolutely.

 

His words, or maybe just his tone, had both girls drawing a sharp intake of breath, though Kagome remained oblivious to her sister’s conscious state.

 

“I’d be powerful enough to take down any opponent; no-one would be able to look down on me; they’d learn to fear my name, just like they did my father.”

 

Inuyasha hadn’t meant to say that much. He’d gotten so caught up in his goal he’d allowed himself to dream, just a little bit.

 

“You know I can’t give you the jewel? Both because it’s shattered now, AND because a selfish wish always incites negative repercussions.” Kagome says, her voice soft, her mind still trying to come to terms with this new information.

 

Inuyasha’s expression darkens a little, his eyes becoming thoughtful and distant.

 

“You are so much like Kikyō.”

 

His quiet words somehow still heard by Kagome, causing her brow to cease in confusion.

 

“How so?” She asks.

 

“Kaede told us a little bit about her sister and she suspects that I’m her reincarnation, but other than that I only know that she was the resident miko of this village 50 years ago.” Kagome elaborates, curious as to the type of person the predecessor of her soul had been.

 

Inuyasha makes a noise between a growl and a sigh.

 

“She was annoying and confusing. Kind, while always keeping her distance. She helped anyman who asked for it, but never a demon. It was almost impossible to guess her emotions from her expression. She avoided and purified demons the instant they got too close.” His voice was taking on a bitter edge, and it wasn’t only Kagome who noticed it.

 

“She was your friend, wasn’t she?”

 

The unexpected interruption had both Inuyasha’s and Kagome’s attention quickly directed elsewhere.

 

Kinuki was awake, though she kept her eyes closed, so she couldn’t see it when Inuyasha gave a reluctant nod. Though she certainly heard the words that accompanied his action.

 

“Was, is right.” The edge was now an entire tone of bitterness.

 

Kinuki immediately picked up on the warning signs. His tone meant, fresh wounds and keep out.

 

“You spoke about the wish you wanted the jewel to grant you before, right?”

 

It took a moment for Inuyasha to realise what she was doing and when he did, he couldn’t suppress the grateful quirk of his lips.

 

“You were listening anyway, weren’t you?” He questions teasingly, addressing only Kinuki.

 

She nodded guiltily, her eyes still closed as she lifted herself off of her sister’s lap, opened one eye, and sat herself back down.

 

“…Why would you want that?” She asks, she was close to tears and almost at a loss for words.

 

Ever since he’d mentioned it, it had been bothering her.

Did he honestly think so little of himself? Had he never been taught to love himself?

To accept himself? To hone his strengths and strengthen his weaknesses?

She didn’t have to think about it long.

Of course he hadn’t. He wouldn’t be the way he was now if he had.

 

“I just asked if you were listening we…oman. If you had been, you would’ve heard why I want to be a full demon.” He snapped at her.

 

Changing his word choice at the last second when he noticed Kagome’s warning glare. Understanding humans was difficult enough, understanding women absolutely stumped him.

 

Kinuki shook her head, rose from her seated position, and began making her way into the forest.

 

She paused after a few paces.

 

“You guys coming?” She called over her shoulder, before continuing the moonlit path toward the river.

 

Kagome and Inuyasha exchanged a quick look, one was completely confused, the other, indifferently interested.

 

They both rose and followed her.

 

Once they reached the river Kinuki took out her contact lens, deposited it in her case and decided to leave her eyes as they naturally were.

 

“You said one thing, but meant another.” Kinuki spoke softly, skipping a rock on the surface of the river as she did so.

 

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Inuyasha barked, annoyance clear in his expression.

 

He wouldn’t admit it, but the fact that Kinuki had yet to look at him had him feeling… what? Nervous? Scared?

He shook his head.

 

“You said, I’d be powerful enough to take down any opponent. What I heard was, I’d be strong enough to protect myself and those I care about.”

 

Hearing her say it so outright made it feel like someone was clutching Inuyasha’s heart in a too-tight grip, but he didn’t deny it.

 

“You said, no-one would be able to look down on me. I heard, I would belong somewhere.”

 

Ok, that one stung a little more than he thought it would. But, again, she’d hit the nail on the head.

 

“You said, they’d learn to fear my name, just like they did my father. I heard, I would be respected and accepted, just like my father was.”

 

It astounded him how quickly she’d been able to deduce that. Even more so, that it seemed like Kinuki could see straight through any and every one of his defences and masks.

Speaking of sight…

 

“Am I right?” Kinuki asked, finally gathering the courage to turn and face him. Both eyes open and questioning.

 

Despite the faint light of the moon, Inuyasha could quite clearly see Kinuki’s eyes.

He blinked, leapt closer, and peered directly into her eyes.

 

One as blue as morning dew. The other shining silver like the moonlit river. He gave her a genuine smile then. One that had her drawing an almost inaudible intake of breath.

His entire face changed when he smiled. He seemed more relaxed, almost happy, and his eyes sparkled a gentle gold.

 

For his part, Inuyasha was glad the uneasy feeling within him was now gone. But nothing compared to the feeling of having fully gained Kinuki’s trust.

 

Because that was what this was. She was opening up to him, exposing a secret that, judging by Kagome’s reaction, was fairly closely guarded.

 

“Silver suites you.” He complemented. Realising that they were waiting for him to say something.

 

Now it was Kinuki’s turn to smile, and, Inuyasha was relieved to note, her reaction to his acceptance was speeding up the process of her regaining her powers.

...

He paused.

Picked out that thought, and examined it.

Damn.

He was actually starting to care about this young miko, and her trouble magnet for a sister.

But hey, she was making it pretty hard not to. Not to mention…

Inuyasha took a discreet look at the sky, mentally swearing as he spied the waning moon. His damn human heart was making his emotions stronger too.

 

“So…” Inuyahsa was pulled out of his thoughts by Kinuki’s questioning tone.

 

“…since we know next to nothing about demons and mikos and their powers, would you mind telling us a bit about them?” She asked once she had his attention.

 

“Depends what you want to know.” Inuyasha teased with a shrug, causing something unidentifiable to spark in Kinuki’s eyes, and Kagome’s jaw to drop.

 

‘He’s teasing us?!’ Kagome thought, looking at her sister.

 

‘I know, isn’t it great?’ Kinuki replied gleefully.

 

They weren’t magicians by any means, but they were twins, which often let them feel when the other was in danger. The thing with the telepathy though, they were both starting to think had something to do with their miko powers.

They weren’t far off the mark either, but neither were they completely correct.

 

 

Kinuki was just glad that Inuyasha was starting to accept them. Even more so that he had accepted her for how she really was.

 

“How about that weird aura thing all demons and miko seem to have?” Inuyasha smirked, having somehow anticipated that Kinuki would ask that question.

 

“Well… Every living thing has a life energy. Mikos and demons have a power storage parallel to that though. Demon power is kept in a vortex. Miko power in an aura. Both these things emanate from the body and exist in a type of air pocket that is directly connected to your soul.”

 

When Inuyasha gave them a meaningful look, they both nodded their understanding and waited for him to continue. Moving to take a seat on a rock near the riverside closer to him.

 

“That old miko mentioned something about the colours of your powers, right?”

 

Kinuki nodded but Kagome had a puzzled look on her face, so Kinuki quickly filled her in.

 

“Basically, Kaede asked me to analyse Inuyasha’s vortex. Every power consists of different colours. His was gold, red and silver. Gold is royalty. Red is power or strength and silver is for defence.”

 

When Kagome’s eyes light up with understanding, Kinuki turns back to Inuyasha and he continues.

 

“You can only see the strongest asset of your power, I only ever see red when I try looking at myself, but any other assets you may have can only be seen by others with similar powers, while you can only, feel them I guess.”

 

Inuyasha shrugs haphazardly, annoyed that words were failing him. He wasn’t a teacher, and he was much better at practical things than theory. Kinuki had asked him a question though and he’d offered to answer it as well as he could.

 

“There’s also a power hierarchy in auras, similar to the vortex, but not identical. Miko with white auras are the weakest. Then come orange, green, yellow and pink. The strongest aura is blue.”

 

Again, the girls nodded, having already figured out where their power ranked on the hierarchical scale.

 

“Despite differing meanings, auras and vortexes still go by the same colour code. Auras glow more so than spin, as opposed to vortexes; Your strongest asset can be identified by the undertone of your power, while any other attributes your power may have are flecked in the aura itself.”

 

This surprised the girls, thinking similarly as they pondered how such closely related powers could ever clash in such a hateful way, both of them remembering the clashes of power that oftentimes sparked within the jewel.

 

When Inuyasha didn’t keep talking, Kinuki turned to Kagome, who was just trying to stifle a yawn, smiling as she stood up and stretched.

 

“Ah, I don’t know about you guys, but I think some sleep would do us all some good.” Kinuki sighed and Inuyasha smiled, having since sensed that the twins were starting to tire.

 

“Sounds like a good idea.” He affirmed, moving to rise from his seated position, though he nearly loses his balance as the twin’s auras wash over him.

 

Kagome, who was usually on high alert the second he moved, was now much more relaxed, his acceptance of Kinuki and willingness to teach the twins about their powers having convinced her, at least to a certain degree, that he wasn’t a bad person.

 

Kinuki though, was hard to look at. Over the course of their conversation, she had regained most of her power, and was shining like a miniature sun. Despite the rise in her power, her kind-hearted nature and simple-mindedness ensured that she didn’t cause anyone unnecessary harm. In fact, her power had a rather comforting vibe and felt like a gentle, warm caress rather than the hot stab of pain he’d come to associate with miko powers.

 

“Um… Do you guys know how to conceal your auras yet?” Inuyasha asked.

He remembered the old mikos words, how she’d said that Kinuki’s newly awakened power was like a beacon to any demons in the area.

 

Such power was naturally supposed to dissuade attacks on newly awakened mikos, but oftentimes they served as a warning for more powerful demons to strike before the miko could improve her powers. So, rather than a warning, the beaconing aura was often seen as an invitation to attack.

 

Both Kagome and Kinuki shook their heads at his rather abrupt question, wondering why he was asking at all.

 

“No, why?” Kagome asks him, curiousity and worry warring inside of her.

 

Inuyasha shrugged, wondering how he could inform them without scaring Kagome any more than she already was.

 

“You’ll want to learn to do that pretty quickly.” Was all he said, and although his statement confused Kagome, Kinuki had since remembered Kaede’s words and realised why he’d asked.

 

“We’ll practise starting tomorrow.” Kinuki assured him, giving her sister a hand up and starting to make her way back toward Kaede’s village.

 

This time, both sister’s sleep under the stars, Inuyasha leaving for a quick patrol once they’d fallen asleep.

 

- - - - - 

 

Author's Note 

 

Hello again lovely people! 

 

Here you have another chapter for TTT! Feel free to let me know what you thought, what you liked or even what else you'd like me to include in later chapters! 

 

I look forward to your feedback and I wish you lots of fun in your reading! 

 

Tora