InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Under the Monster's Eyes ❯ Her Dog ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Thank you for all the wonderful reviews! Enjoy!

Written to: “As the Water” from Memoirs of a Geisha

.

Under the Monster’s Eyes
Her Dog

.

Dr. Lecter had a theory. From her files, he knew Kagome had grown up on a shrine with stories of the supernatural from her grandfather. It wasn’t uncommon for a traumatic event to trigger a retreat into fantasy, and tales of demons and spirits was excellent fodder for a young mind. But as far as he could tell, she had lived a normal life up until her fifteenth birthday when she claimed her adventures into the past had begun.

“The one you call Inuyasha. Were you romantically involved with him, Kagome? Were you in love?” He put special emphasis on his last words, eyes narrowing on her slight form, lips barely registering a wicked grin while her attention was focused elsewhere.

Her hand found her heart, resting there, gripping and protecting like some great pale spider. The moon eyes turned to him with a pain so poignant he could smell it under the light perfume of the hospital soaps. “I did. I loved him so much.”

Dr. Lecter delved deeper, reveling in her sweet despair. “Did you have sex with him, Kagome?”

A rosy hue tainted her cheeks and she averted her eyes in embarrassment. “No,” she stated frankly. “We were both very young. At least I was. He was well over two hundred or so.”

“Two hundred?” he asked, somewhat mockingly.

Kagome didn’t seem to notice or care, stretching out into the recliner to find a more comfortable position. “Yes. He was pinned to the God Tree for fifty years, but he didn’t count those.” There was a sweet, pure smile as her mind conjured images of the boy she’d once loved. “When I saw him hanging there he was the most beautiful creature I’d ever seen.”

He pondered this for a moment. Pulling out a drawer in his desk, he withdrew a sketchpad, one of many, and a pencil. With careful hands and exaggerated movements, he opened the book to a clean page, observing his patient’s interested gaze from the corner of his eye.

Reaching across his desk, he handed the materials to her. She held them at arms length, inspecting with a crinkled brow.

“Draw him as you first saw him, Kagome. I want to see what you saw,” he prompted with a kind tone.

“But I’m not an artist, Dr.,” she shook her head worriedly, self-consciously.

He only gave her a false smile. “You don’t have to be. Just draw what you see.”

Soundlessly, she nodded and began to sketch out her fantasies, her pencil gaining momentum and working furiously across the paper. She was right: she wasn’t an artist. But although her skill was lacking, the awe and magic of the scene was felt through her simple sketch of a boy with long hair and dog ears pinned to a tree with an arrow in his chest.

“Why do you give him dog ears, Kagome?”

“He was born with them,” she gave him a look that suggested he was the crazy one.

“Indeed,” he amended.