InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Under the Monster's Eyes ❯ Sinister Intentions ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
to: Akira Yamaoka’s Innocent Moon

.

Under the Monster’s Eyes
Sinister Intentions

.

Pale blue eyes narrowed on the door as it clicked shut, a quiet echo rebounding through the dark, empty hall. He had followed one of his colleagues, Dr. Tanaka, as he silently stole through the hospital after hours. The man should have left for home hours ago.

Tanaka was the psychiatric hospital’s chief general physician. He wasn’t needed all the time, and so usually retired to his own house just outside the city after work. However, lately he had more often been staying nights since his wife left.

The door into which he had disappeared was room 202. The slat on the wall read “Higurashi Kagome.” Dr. Lecter waited.

The clock on the wall ticked away three minutes. The door remained still and there was no noise from within the room. Lecter’s mouth twisted grimly and he knocked lightly before turning the handle and entering the room.

It was dark and the only light came from the small, barred window above the bed. Tanaka turned frightened eyes on the intruder, his back now to the bed, form illuminated in the waning moonlight.

Lecter spoke softly, an ominous undercurrent lapping at his tongue. “Miss Kagome is sleeping, Tanaka-san. I’m sure she would not appreciate this intrusion on her privacy.”

The man quivered under the stare, his words coming to a halt in his throat, building and suffocating. “I- She is ill. She- I was only-”

“You should leave now, Tanaka,” Lecter’s voice was a mere hiss. The black of his eyes seemed to seep through his irises, swirling into the blue, staining it and overtaking it like blood in water.

“Now- now listen, I don’t know what you think is going on here, but-” His voice rose in his panic. Lecter narrowed his gaze at the man. Tanaka quieted and slipped out of the room without another word, casting a last fearful glance over his shoulder at the man now towering over the bed in his place. Half his face was cast in shadow, but the doctor swore he saw the devil staring back at him from those terrible eyes.

After he left, Lecter turned his gaze to the girl in the bed. The sheet was folded down to her waist, leaving her torso exposed. The young woman was thin and pale in the moonlight. She wore only a thin, white camisole. Two dark circles could be seen through the material. Silently, the doctor replaced the sheet around her shoulders. His rough hands smoothed over the wrinkles. He swept her dark waves from her face and arranged the thick tresses precisely over her pillow; her head lay in a puddle of ink. An innocent flicker of a smile flitted over her face before her features relaxed into peaceful sleep once again.

She never stirred as he turned and exited the room. Tanaka was a dark form at the end of the hall. He was returning to his room.

A terrible grin alighted on Lecter’s thin lips as he watched him go.