InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled ❯ Two Girls, A Crazy Dog, and a Well ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Neko-chan! Wait!” the hazel-eyed brunette chased her brown-eyed, long-haired friend down the street. “You may wanna race, but I smoke, Chick! I don't run!” Mai yelled to her friend, chasing her down as she held a cigarette in her mouth.
 
“Fine,” Neko stopped. “But since I'm not allowed to run, you have to walk Miki when we get back to the house.” Mai caught up and nodded, plenty out of breath. Miki was the black Lab that they'd found digging through their trash one day.
 
Reaching the apartment complex they owned together in the not-best-part of Tokyo, they walked to their room and let the puppy out of her cage. House regulations said they weren't exactly allowed to have a dog, but both knowing what it was like to not have a great life, neither girl had the heart to leave the pup alone in the world.
 
Neko linked the leash to Miki's collar and handed the end to Mai. Locking up, and saying a silent prayer yet again for having a landlord that didn't live there, they started on the regular route they took every day after school.
 
“So that Houjo guy is seriously freaky. Who's that girl he's always obsessing over?” Mai wondered aloud.
 
“I don't know her name. Ka-something. She's never in school. I know that much. You're right though. He's sweet how he worries, but he's just freaky.”
 
They stopped so that Mai could light her cigarette when Miki suddenly lurched forward, pulling the loose end of the leash off of Mai's wrist. She dropped the cigarette as she and her friend both chased the dog, calling her name to bring her back.
 
She ran up the steps to the shrine that an old guy was always trying to sell fake charms from, so they followed her, apologizing for trespassing to the little boy they passed on their way up.
 
They followed her whining sound into a dark hut. “Well if you're scared of the dark, you shouldn't have run in here,” Neko scolded. Walking down the steps to what looked like a well, Neko peered inside. “Mai, check this out.”
 
“Scared of heights. No thanks.”
 
Miki jumped, running towards the door, but impacting with Neko and Mai on her way out. Neko fell backwards over the edge into the well, and Mai half-jumped/half-fell into it, trying at the same time to grab her friend's hand. Having caught Neko with one hand and the ledge of the well with the other, she tried to pull Neko up so she could grab the ledge too.
 
“I need to work out, starting today,” she groaned, trying to make a joke. “I don't think I can hold on, Neko-chan!” Her last fingers slipped off the wooden ledge and both girls screamed, not knowing how deep the well was and how badly they'd be hurt.
 
 
SENGOKU JIDAI
 
InuYasha's ears perked up and he stopped in mid-sentence of yelling at Shippou.
 
“What is it, InuYasha?” Kagome asked. She'd gotten used to this look of his, knowing it meant there was someone nearby, just not who it was.
 
“Thought I sensed a demon. It's not moving though.”
 
“If it's not attacking, don't worry about it, InuYasha,” Sango interjected. “We've learned over the years not all demons are bad, haven't we.”
 
“Yeah, I guess,” he grumbled.