InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Upon Broken Wings ❯ Night of Peril ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not, have not, and will not own `Inuyasha' nor any of its characters. These belong solely to the beloved Takahashi-sama - who is loved and adored ^^
 
[…What a mood killer…]
 
 
Glossary - for those of you brought up on the dub:
Arigatoo - `many thanks'
Baka - fool / idiot / blockhead
Coora - Japanese term meaning `hey'
Doozo - please
Hanyou - half-demon, e.g. Inu-kun
Jii-chan - grandfather
Kitsune - fox youkai
Nani - what
Ne-chan - older sister (in other context, it can also mean 'Miss')
Shikon no tama - the Shikon jewel / Jewel of Four Souls
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
A warm and sunny summer day rained on the inhabitants of a small village. Many tended to the field as children played games by the river while conversation and gossip filled the surroundings of many. Apart from the daily activities, a silver-haired hanyou rested in a well shaded tree. Lazily lifting his eyes to the well concealed afternoon sun, he contemplated on the conversation at hand.
 
“… No.”
 
The schoolgirl took a step towards the tree overshadowing Kaede`s hut. “I`m not asking for more than a day!” Being away from her world for so long had brought a fresh appreciation to the girl's desire for home.
 
Unmoved by her protest, the hanyou replied, “We don`t have the time. We`ve been here for the day and we're going -now-.”
 
Standing her ground, as her notoriously established personality foretold, she replied, “We haven`t so much as heard of the Shikon no Tama and-” The girl looked down as she unclenched her fist. “ …and I haven`t had any luck in sensing any.”
 
Yawning, the hanyou remained silent.
 
Irritated by her companion's stubbornness, the girl set up a compromise. “Listen.” Kagome crossed her arms. “How about this: I'll leave for a few hours.” She explained her intentions at a rapid pace. “Only to re-stock on first aid supplies and some food.” The girl ended by quickly adding, “Back by sundown.”
 
She stood with determination.
 
The less time on the other side; the better. The hanyou shifted his gaze downward, eyes meeting the awaiting school girl. He contemplated on the girl's proposal. The sun hung high in the sky; afternoon had only just begun.
 
With closed eyes, Inuyasha managed to keep hold of his aloofness as he yielded to Kagome's offer.
 
“Just hurry.”
 
The girl nodded in agreement, eagerly running off toward the well with her unusually petite bag in hand. Inuyasha watched as she ran off. No harm in a few hours. Waiting until she was out of sight, he propped his arms behind his head and closed his eyes.
 
Only a few hours
 
He let the thought lull him to sleep, knowing when he woke again, the girl would be back by his side once more.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Only at the start of the hanyou's nap, a young kitsune popped his head out of Kaede's hut and surveyed the area for the school girl he'd come to know and love as a child loves his mother. Searching from his left to right, and finding nothing, a frown began to crease on the kitsune's face. The frown deepened as his eyes came to lay upon a hanyou taking a nap among the branches.
 
Seeing this as a moment of opportunity to obtain a slight bit of revenge, the kitsune sped towards the tree using all the agility he could conjure. The green eyed youkai sprang up the tree, having obtained enough speed to spring off of the trunk, hovering for only a moment above the unsuspecting hanyou. The determined look morphed into a slight grin. The kitsune landed square on Inuyasha's chest. The boy's small right hand raised above his head then plunged down to strike its foe.
 
However, In a swift movement that seemed inhumanly possible, an outstretched hand grabbed hold of the kitsune's torso, wound him back and flung him onto the roof of Kaede's. Face first on the roof, the kitsune whipped his head around and glared brilliant green eyes at the hanyou.
 
Coora! Inuyasha!”
 
Snow white ears twitched at the kitsune's enraged voice. Hopping up and down on the roof, the youkai screamed his complaints.
 
“What was that for, baka?!”
 
Inuyasha didn't move from his spot, but gave his response. “You'll have to do a lot better than -that- if you hope to sneak up on me.” Enraged, the currently ignored kitsune shot daggers at the hanyou.
 
“All I want to know is where Kagome went!”
 
Turning away, Inuyasha flatly stated, “Home.”
 
Shippou's face gradually morphed into a look of saddened disappointment. “Aw.” The kitsune wined as he plopped down on the roof. “I wanted to ask her if she would bring back some of those ninja treats.” Shippou crossed his arms and sighed.
 
“She`s bringing back food, so just go back to your own business and wait.”
 
Although Inuyasha couldn't see him, Shippou nodded slowly. Having no duties of his own to fulfill, he lay back on the roof, joining the hanyou in a short nap.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Kagome had gotten home and taken a well needed shower. In her room, she dried her hair and looked at the clock. “I still have a couple hours.” With that, the schoolgirl sat at her desk and opened her English textbook, which had begun collecting dust.
 
Page after page, Kagome examined every word, but nothing meant anything to her. Pulling the textbook closer to her face, she squinted her eyes half expecting the answer to pop out at her. Finally deciding she was beyond hope in her English class, she slammed the book on her desk with a look of distaste. “Math. I should be able to make sense out of that, shouldn`t I?” She opened to a book marked page; where the class was when she last attended school.
 
They have to be chapters ahead by now! Kagome thought as she pulled out her notebook from her backpack carelessly tossed on the floor next to her desk. With pen in hand, the girl transferred the first question from book to paper.
 
I understand this first part…but then it gets all complicated and…ohh…
 
Kagome put her hand to her head. Ten minutes of studying wouldn't have bothered me before… The schoolgirl crossed her arms across her opened textbooks and dug her face in. If only school wasn't so important… The girl's thoughts dispersed at that moment; unwilling to nag about such an in-depth issue.
 
The girl allowed her mind to drift away; giving it the leisure she was never allowed on the other side.
 
As silent as her thoughts were then, the wind wafted into the room. Kagome's eyes opened and she directed her attention to the half open window. The sun was setting, and she could see it aim it's brilliant golden rays of light into her room. The school girl stood, let out a mild sigh and moved herself to the window. Opening the window completely, the wind broke the barrier of the walls and sent Kagome's hair aloft. The skyline of Tokyo had never looked more beautiful. The windows of skylights shown like glistening rivers of gold. The buildings shown various shades of yellow and orange. Having to spend so much time away from home and modern amenities had done wonders for the girl's appreciation for all things contemporary.
 
Kagome stood there and never wanted to leave. Time ceased to exist. The calming rush of the wind flowing about Kagome muted out everything and anything that threatened to interrupt her time of silence that she had never experienced in such a long time.
 
Through the silence, however, the sound of her door being opened made Kagome jump as though she'd heard a gunshot. She spun around, wide eyes meeting Souta who had only opened up the door a crack. Leaving Kagome to have view of only half of his face.
 
Ne-chan.” Souta's words were partly muted by the door. “It`s dinner time.” The girl nodded at her little brother. “Arigatoo, Souta. I'll be right down.” Souta closed the door and walked down the stairs.
 
What's up with him? Kagome thought to herself. Did something happen at school?
 
The school girl shook the thought from her mind and re-arranged her desk back to order.
 
Down at dinner, an unusual thick bed of tension filled the air, making it hard for Kagome to do anything but refrain from fidgeting in the unnerving atmosphere.
 
Ne-chan.” Kagome looked upon her brother sitting beside her. “When do you, uh…plan on going back to the other side?' ” Kagome held a long stare toward her brother. Since when was he concerned about when she was going back? Kagome turned back to her plate. “After dinner. I`m only here to re-stock the first aid supplies and get more food.”
 
Souta hung his head, lazily resuming his dinner. Kagome surveyed the looks of Mama and Jii-chan. Both of them held the same position as Souta. Kagome opened her mouth to ask what they were hiding, when Mama shot up with her usual smile and asked in a haste: “Kagome dear, your Grandfather and I need to ask a favor of you.”
 
Kagome nodded slowly, dumbfounded by the sudden mood swing.
 
“It`s simple, really.” Mama put down her chopsticks and clasped her hands together. “You see, when a shrine like we have opens, the shrine owners invite only exclusive people to celebrate the opening.”
 
Jii-chan cut in. “those people, for the most part, include the owner's close family and friends and other shrine owners in surrounding areas.”
 
Kagome blankly stared at the two of them. Not quiet seeing the point of the conversation. She knew exactly what they meant by shrine openings. They had taken both her and Souta to one on a few occasions.
 
The girl's mother raised her clasped hands as if praying. “Since the shrine is in your Grandfather's name, he received an invitation for him and only one guest to a shrine opening in Osaka. It is agreed I will be going, and since we both agree that we don't want Souta to miss a week of school…” She trailed off. “Ano…what we are asking you to do dear, is to stay at home and watch after your brother for a while.”
 
Kagome's face wrinkled as she asked her question, forcing the words from her mouth. “How long…is a `while?' ” Jii-chan crossed his arms, and bluntly responded.
 
“A week.”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
With backpack stocked with food and fresh first aid supplies, Kagome gingerly opened the door to the Hidden Well. Only one thought was running through the girl's mind. Not only running through her mind, but twisting it and even making her stomach churn. She had -never- asked to be on the other side longer than three days. And even now, three days seemed like a high hope.
 
Stepping inside and securing the door behind her, the school girl sighed as her gaze circled around, meeting the well. The sun was only beginning to bid farewell and disappear beyond the horizon. What sunlight could come through the slits in the doorway did, and showed the sprinkled flecks of dust floating in a slow, yet chaotic dance through the air.
 
The Bone-Eater's Well. Kagome thought, reminiscing in the past. This place stood for something beyond itself for the girl. It was the doorway to the past, her present, and her future. But for how long? The girl hung her head and prayed she wouldn't be forced out of the world she had only begun to understand. Be thrust out of the lives of people she had grown to love.
 
Inuyasha …
 
How much of a fight is he going to put up about my staying -here- ?
 
With the question reawakened in her mind, the question that sent her brain in twists and stomach churning, step by step, she made her way down the stairs and into the well.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Inuyasha lay awake but kept his eyes closed, fighting the urge to go and retrieve Kagome. Sundown had arrived, and the hanyou's telltale itch to go get the belatedly girl was picking at him. The aggravation of being forced to wait was wearing thin.
 
The kitsune had grown bored and sped back inside with Sango, Miroku and Kaede. In the time Kagome had been gone, Sango had prepared medicinal herbs with Kaede, Miroku had walked along the village, making his infamous claim to be doing nothing but a humble monk's work. This stirred up Sango's suspicions, heeding her to take the responsibility to keep a hawk's eye on the Houshi.
 
The village had begun to quiet down, dinner was being prepared, and children bid farewell to one another at their mothers' call. Still in his tree, the hanyou's patience had drained into sheer annoyance. Bringing himself up out of his idle position, amber eyes flashed toward the forest to the sound of crackling twigs against the ground. From there Kagome steadily made her way toward the tree, taking her time and contemplating on how she would explain all that was running through her mind to her hanyou; the simpleton.
 
Stopping at the foot of the tree, and eyes fixed on the ground, Inuyasha speculated her actions with the dry question, “What?”
 
Inside the hut, Sango asked Miroku what he had made of his day, while she was placing the last of the medicinal herbs in a cloth that would be given to Kagome to put in her medical kit. Miroku replied to the accusing tone in a language all his own that he seemed to think meant `I didn't do anything wrong' by taking hold of Sango's hands and explaining that she had nothing to worry about.
 
Causing Sango's cheeks to morph into a cherry red, his reply was quickly followed up by a swift slap that now marked the Houshi's cheek. Examining the repetitive scene pan out, Kaede and Shippou sat drinking tea in the corner, knowing it was best to let nature take its course.
 
The quarrel in the hut was broken with a single word from a certain silver haired hanyou laying outside.
 
Nani?!”
 
Unsure, Shippou steadily got up from his sitting place, and walked to the door out of sheer curiosity. Just as he reached the door, however, Inuyasha was barging through, sending Shippou to the ground.
 
Kagome followed, her face contorted in a frown. “A week?” Inuyasha was saying it more to himself than to anyone else. Kagome hastened to explain her reason to Inuyasha, as he wouldn't listen outside.
 
“Mama and Jii-chan are going far away for the week and don`t want Souta to miss school … they would feel better if he were to stay at home.” The hanyou spun around to yell once more, but Sango had cut in before Inuyasha could scream for the villages' attention again.
 
“You want to go back to your time for a week, Kagome-chan?”
 
Kagome looked at Sango and nodded, her face shown the desire for an agreement without quarrel. Miroku stood and placed a hand on Inuyasha's shoulder, shifting his attention from Kagome to him. “Inuyasha, don`t be so rash. Kagome-sama ought to respect the wishes of her Mother. Besides, we`ll survive a week by ourselves.” Kagome's face softened at Miroku's words, praying they got through to Inuyasha. Inuyasha let a small growl escape his throat, turning back to meet the school girl's desolate eyes.
 
“We don`t have the time for this! We`ve already been delayed, and I don`t plan on being held up here for another day!” Miroku took deep consideration into the hanyou's response. Obtained a firm hold of his staff, and struck Inuyasha over the head with it. “What the hell was that--”
 
“Inuyasha. We are not hopeless without Kagome-sama. We can still look for Naraku, and search for the shards for seven days.”
 
The hanyou bore daggers at the Houshi. With eyes closed and nose raised in typical hanyou fashion, Inuyasha straightened himself up, crossed his arms, and gave his last word of protest.
 
“Keh!”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Back at Higurashi shrine, Mama and Jii-chan were just leaving, giving final instructions to Kagome. “Now Kagome, listen closely.” Jii-chan had one last demand. “I am expecting and important package to arrive today. I hoped to be here to see it, but instead, I will trust you to sign for it and -carefully- put it in the storage house. It`s an antique vase and I do not want to have to see it in pieces when your Mother and I return.” Kagome nodded in agreement, half wishing she could be on the other side with the others. Where the events consisting of rampaging youkai had obtained the label of `just another day.'
 
Ms. Higurashi came from the house and gave her daughter a hug. “Look after your brother all right dear?”
 
“Yes Mama.” Kagome hugged her back and watched as her Mother lead Jii-chan down the many steps to the awaiting taxi below.
 
The girl turned back toward the house. Catching the Hidden Well out of the preliminary of her vision.
 
Forgive me, Inuyasha.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
The sun had set, and the moon had risen, serving as light to those who couldn't find their way. The dark sky like a snow spotted canvas soaring in the heavens spelled the end of the day for many. Half the city would sleep at such a time, but deep in the heart of Tokyo, music and laughter filled the night. A well sized group of teens had gathered behind a building and were celebrating nothing but their will to face the night with a boom box and drink in hand. The only way these people knew how to party that time in their lives was blaring their music and serving a bottomless keg.
 
Departing from all the activity, three drunk friends stumbled into the night, leaning on each other for support. The one to the left shouted to the one beside him. “Coora, Toko! That was some party, eh?” The middle one shifted his weight over to the one on his right and scowled back,.
 
“Dammit Hatori, you don`t have to yell, I`m standing right here!”
 
The three continued to make their way down the street, music and yelling from the party growing quieter and quieter, until finally, hushed by the gentle wind.
 
After a half dozen stumbles, the third one finally spoke up, “You know what I -really- want to do right now?” Silence signaled both of his companions were more focused on keeping their feet on the ground than listening to him. Starting over, “I don`t know about the two of you, but I haven`t gone shooting in a long time.” Toko replied with a soft chuckle. Giving his friend a slap on the back. “Me and you both, Gusshi.”
 
“Nothing like picking up something so powerful and shooting at all the targets you can find! -That`s- my wonderland.”
 
Hatori slid into the conversation. “It`s your lucky day, guys! Look what part of town we stumbled into!” The two companions looked up from their conversation and came face to face with the street they knew all to well. Stores along the sidewalk either lay in ruins to the cause of one too many brake ins, or what was left being held up by duck tape and such. Glass littered the streets, streetlights blown out of their sockets, street signs bent over and broken down cars set the setting.
 
This was where all the gang's meetings of the west part of Tokyo were held. And where Mikkhisa's gun shop stood.
 
The gun shop was virtually the only shop on the street in good enough shape to hold customers. This was because the owner, Mikkhisa, had the respect and standing of fellow gang members in the area.
 
Toko departed from the two he was leaning on, leading the way. “C`mon you two!” Hitori fell to the ground as his brace flew ahead.
 
“Coora, Toko! Where do you think you`re going?”
 
Gusshi, who had caught himself in split second timing, glared at Toko, awaiting his answer. Toko wordlessly glanced back, then back ahead. Still walking, he asked “Gusshi?”
 
Scoffing at his leader-like attitude, the man replied, “What?”
 
“Let`s go have some fun.” Hitori attempted stopped Toko, seeing his intention. “You know Mikkhisa`ll kill us, don`t you?” The would-be leader of the three shrugged, “for the sake of fun.”
 
Gusshi and Hatori gave each other a long stare, each awaiting the other to say something further to stop their companion. Neither one the leader type looked ahead at the figure disappearing into the unlit sidewalk. Giving up and succumbing to Toko who, although intoxicated, had already traveled a surprising five meters toward their destination.
 
Other two not up to the seemingly fast pace of Toko, resumed leaning on one another and chased after him at a pace they could manage without tipping over.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Back at Higurashi Kagome's, the now in charge school girl was in her room, slaving over her textbooks. Souta had taken advantage of no supervision, camping out in the living room. Turning the channel to his favorite television show, `Our Hero,' the boy quickly darted for a bag of potato chips and planted himself in front of the brown box.
 
Buuyo lazily slumped to the boys side, letting out one of his trademark meows. “I know Buuyo, I know.” Souta nagged, grabbing hold of the remote and turning the volume down.
 
The last time his sister came home and was studying for school, he made the mistake of having the volume of the television a number of notches too high. She came storming out, running down the stairs and went on a rampage about how studying for her tests were so important , how she can't get anything done beyond the well and that the “blaring” volume of the television wasn't helping her concentrate.
 
The boy sighed. Never again.
 
His attention was fixated to the TV now. Giant red, gator like monsters on two legs were attacking the city of Tokyo. One of them had just knocked over a skyscraper about the size of the monster itself when the hero came into the picture, hitting one of the monsters straight on, causing it to unexpectedly stumble back.
 
Souta related the hero to Inuyasha. He thought that's how -his- hero would take on a youkai.
 
Head on.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Up in her room, Kagome snapped awake. Groaning, she examined the textbooks laid out in front of her that had only recently served as a pillow. Turning around to her clock, she read out loud, “eleven?”
 
Resting her head back on her books, she took a moment to fully snap back into consciousness. The heat of the lamp above her doing little to brighten up the room slowly lulled her back into reality.
 
Stretching a bit, the girl felt a warm breeze waft into the room. She had left her window open. Kagome suppressed a mild sigh, forcing herself out of her seat, crossing the short distance between her desk and the window, as she had earlier that day. Instead, this time she closed the window pane. Kneeling down and resting her arms on the window sill, the girl absorbed every aspect of the sights of Tokyo as she could.
 
The vast city was even more beautiful in the nighttime.
 
Transfixed on the panoramic vista rolled out across the horizon, the dazzling lights of Tokyo sent an aura of light across the sky, overpowering the lights of stars she had come accustomed to over past nights. Forcing herself to turn away, she somewhat organized her desk, yet again, and walked out her door to check on her forgotten brother.
 
Souta had traveled from this placing on the floor just in front of the television to the couch, huddled in a blanket with Buuyo at his feet. Kagome picked up the remote and turned off the television, hardly audible from the distance put between the couch and television.
 
Kagome looked down at her little brother.
 
He still hadn't changed into his pajamas.
 
The girl moved into the kitchen, unheard by the sleeping boy and cat.
 
I'm one to talk.
 
Still sporting her school uniform, the girl fixed her attention to the middle of the room. On the table was a package with a note placed on top of it. Kagome picked it up and read:
 
Ne-chan:
 
Jii-chan's package came. I can't find any room for it in the storage house.
 
The black haired girl threw away the note and carefully picked up the package. Not wanting to wake her brother, she slipped out as silently as possible, closing the door behind her. Opening the door to the storage house, she understood that Souta was doing little to exaggerate. Forcing out another exasperated sigh, she placed the box outside the miniature like house, rolled up her sleeves, and marched in to make room for the petite box.
 
After feeling as though she had rearranged every content that made up the storage house, room had been made. The box was tentatively placed in the back on the floor.
 
Better safe than sorry.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Meanwhile, Toko, Hitori and Gusshi had made their way to Mikkhisa's shop.
 
Hitori rushed past Toko to be the first to the door. Finding it locked, Toko slapped him on the head, scolding, “Baka! Of course it`s locked.”
 
Rubbing his head, he turned to Toko, asking the obvious. “Well then, how`re we gonna get in?” Next thing he knew, Hitori found himself lifted off the ground, thrown into the windowpane, causing it to brake into hundreds of tiny shards.
 
Toko and Gusshi snickered to themselves as they examined their handiwork of braking into the store. Walking past Hitori, still caught by surprise, Gusshi smirked, “why, -thank- you Hitori!”
 
In a fit of rage, Hitori popped up to his feet “Why the hell did you do that?” In reply, Hitori was tossed a gun and an extra pack of bullets received from Toko.
 
“Here. Now take that and shut your yap!”
 
Still murmuring curses under his breath, Hitori followed the two out the window, brushing off remnants of glass.
 
Taking their time down the street, the three shot at anything they could: streetlights, late night birds, stoplights, even the occasional car. After a time, they entered another part of town. “Aww!” Toko moaned. “I`m getting bored. We need something else to shoot at.” Hitori, wheezy from being forced to keep stride with Gusshi and Toko was tipsy and following behind. He was staring at nothing particular when his eyes came to rest upon the many stairs leading to Higurashi shrine.
 
Coora!” He called after his two companions. “Coora! Toko! Gusshi! I know where we can get some great targets!” His intriguing voice reached the ears of both Toko and Gusshi, causing them both to turn their heads. Continuing, Hitori was nearly shouting to cross the distance between them. “I -know- Higurashi shrine a storage house -filled- with junk they don`t even use!” Gesturing toward the stairs, he showed them the way.
 
With a silent smirk, Toko steadily made his way up the steps. Still wary about their own stability, the two followed.
 
“This should be fun.” Gusshi laughed.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Kagome stretched her arms toward the sky. Giving up on her textbooks for the night, she resolved to clean up around the house. Mama is so busy, and Jii-chan has his back problems, it's the least I can do to help. Having cleaned the kitchen, arranged the fridge, and thrown out some bad fruit laying on the counter, Higurashi Kagome moved to the sitting room, where Souta lay sleeping. Starting at the far end, she dusted off the television, stand, telephone and clock.
 
Taking a peek at the hands, the clock read one in the morning.
 
I'm not the least bit tired. Kagome thought. The girl sighed.
 
Her body reacted to her sigh with a heavy yawn. With that, she lay the clock down. Then moved onto clean the windows.
 
I can't shake this feeling … something isn't right.
 
Mentally shaking her head, she did her best to discard the thought, keeping her focus on the tasks on hand. The girl had made her way through the room to where Souta lay. Buuyo had been watching her closely all the while she cleaned, although was too lazy to do anything but yawn.
 
The girl put the cleaning rags back in the closet, along with the spray and broom she used to sweep the kitchen. Rummaging through a box in the corner that lay on the floor, Kagome pulled out a small brush. Walking back to the couch, The schoolgirl took the remaining area of the couch beside her brother and Buuyo.
 
Pulling the bulky cat into her lap, which Buuyo had no complaints of, she began gently brushing his matted fur. How this cat got so tangled was a mystery to everyone. All he ever did was lay around the house. The black haired girl took in her surroundings. Nothing was to be heard but the tick-tock of the clock on the night stand and the soft rumble of Buuyo's purr.
 
Her first night out of a week in this place that held no activity come sundown. Never imagining to feel unwelcome in such an atmosphere, it was all the girl could do to feel edgy in her own home. Sweeping her feelings of anxious anticipation away with each stroke she took to Buuyo's fur, the anxiety dissipated, but only for a moment`s notice. The unease that told her something wasn't right … something she was doing? Something she had forgotten?
 
Whenever the girl used to feel this way it was if she forgot something she couldn't put her finger on. The school girl couldn't remember when she last felt this way in her world. Must be that I have a test soon and have to study.
 
Study?
 
Fat chance.
 
Kagome promised herself that she would go to school on Monday and set up a meeting with her friends so she could get up to date on what was assigned in her leave. Kagome let out a long, restless sigh. If only her friends knew where she was and what she was doing. Maybe then they would be more understanding; vouch for her in school. Be just a little more patient…
 
The tranquil setting of the nighttime was broken by a rowdy crash outside. Kagome jumped; not expecting anything to disturb her thoughts. Souta stirred in his sleep, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. “Ne-chan? What was that?”
 
The girl placed Buuyo back down on the couch along with the brush now coated with hair. “I`ll go see.” She sighed. “Something must have fallen in the storage house.” Now talking to her self more than anyone she added, “jeez. If Jii-chan`s package broke, I won`t hear the end of it.”
 
Leaving the door half open behind her, the girl trudged toward the source of racket. Souta pulled Buuyo close to him, expecting the worse. Ever since that `Noh Mask' incident, Souta's been weary about anything unusual happening around his sister.
 
Reaching the door to the storage house, Kagome froze. I … closed that door didn't I? The door was wide open, broadcasting a look of uncertainty across Kagome's face. With the sound of a gunshot, the girl suppressed a scream and darted around the corner of the storage house. From inside?
 
Another gunshot erased the thoughts clean off her mind. “Dammit Hitori!” Gusshi slapped the deranged drunk clean on the head. “Watch where you`re aiming that thing! You only have as many bullets as we gave you, so save `em for the targets!” A moan of distasteful compliance emanated from the building. Clasping her hands over her mouth to stifle any sounds, three more gunshots sounded through Kagome's ears, followed by shattering of glass.
 
“Heh. I`ve got to hand it to you, Hitori. This is one great place you picked out here!” A chink came from inside as Toko reloaded his gun, he added, “all the targets we can shoot at.”
 
Steadily standing, with mouth still covered, Kagome tip-toed toward her house, intent to get Souta and run away.
 
But fate had another idea in mind.
 
At the sound of another gunshot, the girl lost balance, falling to her knees. And not in the silent fashion. “What`s that?” Hitori asked. Receiving yet another blow to the head from Gusshi, he was replied with the question: “If we`re in here with you, how the hell should -we- know?”
 
Scrambling to get up, Kagome darted for the door. Although not quick enough. Toko popped his head out of the doorway and saw her. “Well, well. Looks like we have a target on the run.” Stumbling after her, Toko yelled at his laggard companions. “What are you waiting for? Let`s get it!”
 
Kagome shot through the door, panic flushed her face. “Souta!” Running into the room, she pulled herself back by the doorway so she wouldn't slide clean past the opening. Spotting Souta, she exclaimed, “Let`s go!” She grabbed Souta by the arm, his other arm still clutching Buuyo tight. Running up the stairs and shutting the door behind them, Kagome knelt down to come face to face with her brother. “Souta.” She held tight to his shoulders, looking him straight in the eye.
 
The boy, too stunned to speak, only responded to his name with a look of question. “Now look Souta. I need you to be brave.” With that, three other voices filled the house. Kagome hushed her voice. “Be quiet and don`t make a sound.” Looking down and contemplating the situation, only one thing was clear. If they came up the stairs and through the door, they would have to jump out the window. Pressing her left ear up to the door, she waited. At the same time, she kept an eye on her brother, who was clutching Buuyo so tightly the girl thought the cat would suffocate under his pressure.
 
Down the stairs, Toko devised a plan. “Alright, here`s how we`re going to do it. First one to shoot the target wins.” Grunts of approval was followed by the same voice. “Hitori, Gusshi, you two check upstairs. I`ll be down here.” Four footsteps steadily made they're way nearer to the steps. Although clumsy and unsteady, they came.
 
Instinctively, Kagome dashed to her desk, grabbing the shikon shards along with her bow and arrow. There was no way she could outrun three grown men … with guns none the less. There had to be a place to escape to. Some place they could take refuge. When Kagome whirled around, she saw Souta had received his cue to prepare to make a run for it. He was tucking Buuyo under her bed, whispering unknown words in a hushed voice.
 
The girl could hear the footsteps coming closer. She flew open her window, motioning Souta to climb out.
 
Footsteps reached the plateau.
 
With a nudge from his sister, Souta was out and on the roof. Kagome was halfway out when the door blasted open. Shouts of “There it is!” And “Shoot! Shoot!” emanated from the two men at the door. They're making a game out of this! As instincts took over, Kagome grabbed her brother and jumped off of the roof, bracing her self for the impact.
 
Landing square on her feet, the girl cringed. Not good. Squinting in pain, the voices traveled to ground level. Toko was the first out and pointing his gun straight for them. Kagome leaped up, feet throbbing from the force of the impact. Being intoxicated, Toko cursed as he struggled to line his gun up and maintain the aim.
 
The girl clutched at her brother tightly as she neared the doors to the hidden well. Kagome let him drop from her arms, but held tight to his arm. Sliding open the door to the well with greatest of ease she darted in, urging Souta inside ahead of her. She shut the door behind them, bracing the entrance by sitting in front of it. She soon discovered the wooden walls did little to keep out the rapid bullets that came slicing through moments later. Muttering under her breath, she pushed Souta down the stairs and instructed him to sit with his back up against the wood, facing the well. As he did so, she armed her bow.
 
The bullets ceased. Moments of silence gripped at the girl's heart. Footsteps. Taking aim, the door crashed open as three men ran in and aimed their guns. From right to left, they lined up: Gusshi, Toko, and Hitori. Kagome unwilling shot at any and all of them. Missing by a hair, she cut through the space between Toko and Hitori.
 
“Whoa.” Hitori was baffled by the light emitted from Kagome's arrow. “Watch it there. You might hurt someone with that thing!”
 
“Souta!” She armed another arrow as quickly as she could manage. Souta opened his fastened eyes. “Jump into the well!” Laughter from the three diverted them from their aim.
 
“Like that`ll help you!” Gusshi snickered. “Might as well be screaming `come kill us, pretty please!' ”
 
Souta disregarded the will of every muscle in his body and stumbled to the well. About to climb over, Souta rediscovered his fear of heights. “Ne-chan.” His voice was weary and frightened. “I…can`t.”
 
“Yes you can. Jump!”
 
“But I can`t!”
 
The three men took their aim once again.
 
“You -can-!”
 
“No! I -can`t.- I just -can`t-!”
 
Kagome discarded her bow and arrow, scooped up Souta and dove head first into the well.
 
Coora! Stand still for once, eh?”
 
Please! Kagome pleaded to some unknown force. -Please!-
 
The three ran down the steps and shot to the two unseen in the dark.
 
Clutching her brother tightly, the girl shielded him to what was to come. A certain death by guns, or a headlong crash.
 
DOOZO!
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
 
::Yume_Hikaru