InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Upon Broken Wings ❯ Waking Up From Sleep ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not, have not, and will not own `Inuyasha' nor any of its characters. These belong solely to the beloved Takahashi-sama - who is loved and adored ^^
 
[…What a mood killer…]
 
 
Glossary:
Hiraikotsu - Giant boomerang - Sango-chan's wepon
Houshi - Buddhist Monk / Priest
Youkai - Demon
Obaason - [suffix] - showing respect to an elder person
Miko - Shinto priestess / shrine maiden
Arigatoo - Thank you
Sengoku-jidai - Feudal era
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Floating upon an elusive river, Higurashi Kagome began to stir.
 
Memories of the past twenty four hours slowly began to be placed together like pieces of a puzzle. Watching Souta, studying, cleaning the house …
 
There was something missing. As she attempted to bring back the bits and pieces, the gentle river streaming in was shattered by a rapid, forceful wave. Kagome underwent a physical impact due to the massive attack. Reliving every crucial detail; every beat of her heart pounding against her chest. Her lungs now heaved in and out for air.
 
“…ome!”
 
As if someone had flicked down the light switch in her mind, everything went dark.
 
“Kagome!”
 
I … know that voice …
 
“Are you all right? Kagome.”
 
The girl's eyes flashed open -- followed by the midday light which poured into the brown orbs. Kagome shut them tightly before her eyes had a chance to explode with pain. With the help of an overcastting shadow, she was able to slowly reopen them. Adjusting to the shaded light, the black haired girl lifted her gaze upward to her left; toward the door in Kaede`s hut. Reveling the one that had cast the shadow, the girl's eyes softened and she spoke in a tired voice.
 
“Inuyasha.”
 
A drowsy smile shown itself across the girl's face. The hanyou relaxed his tense expression and sat back, assured with the fact that Kagome was awake and well. Closing her eyes, the girl conjured the strength to sit up. Pulling her arms up from their parallel position, she worked against gravity. Careful in her now upright position to avoid moving either of her legs, she turned to her hanyou; currently avoiding eye contact.
 
Unable to see his face, she let him be in his thoughts and moved her gaze about the rest of the room. Nothing had changed since she was last there. The simple layout was tranquil and serene. The fire pit to her left in the middle of the hut rest in smothered black ash from a yesterday dinner. The windows were propped open, and the sun shimmered across the walls and danced along the floor. Such an undemanding atmosphere she found herself returning to often while in the middle of a quarrel with Inuyasha.
 
Everything was in order as it usually was in Kaede's hut. The only unusual aspect of the room was Inuyasha and Kagome were its only occupants. Turning to the hanyou at her side, she questioned, “Inuyasha? Where is everyone?” Instead of facing her, he further diverted his gaze, his features now completely out of sight.
 
“Miroku went to the forest. Youkai have been attracted to the scent of … human blood.”
 
The girl gazed down at her leg, the wound unseen as it was coated with a blanket. He continued. “Sango followed him. And Kaede left to gather more herbs for your leg. She brought Souta with and Shippou tagged along.”
 
That's right. The girl thought. Souta …
 
Standing, the hanyou walked to the door and, drawing back the covering, looked out as if expecting to see something. “They should be back by now.”
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
The hanyou turned to meet eyes with Kagome. When she had his attention, she continued. “How long … have I been … unconscious?”
 
Lowering his eyes, Inuyasha lingered in the silence. Then replied: “Three days.”
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Hiraikotsu!” Sango whipped the oversize boomerang towards three oncoming youkai. Hitting the first straight on, it came back around, slicing through the other two with ease. Making it's way back through the invisible teardrop shape, Sango caught hold of it's handle in perfect form. Sliding ever so slightly back by the impact, she swept up a small dust cloud at her heels. Turning to Miroku, Sango announced, “That`s the last of the youkai. Are you finished Houshi-sama?”
 
Facing the tree that held the largest pool of dried blood at it's base, Miroku held his right hand upright in front of him in prayer. His head was hung, eyes closed and staff propped in the ground to his left. Murmuring his last words of blessing, Miroku turned to his companion. “Yes. Youkai should not be able to catch the scent of human blood so easily on blessed ground.” Removing his staff from it's placement, the houshi paused to look back at the dull crimson trail sure to lead to the dry well.
 
“It`s a lot of blood.” Sango started. “I couldn`t imagine …”
 
Miroku continued to stare after the route as he replied, “from what Souta told us, it took Kagome-sama a great deal of strength and courage to travel this far. We can only hope for her to awaken soon.” Sango nodded, more to herself than anyone.
 
After another moment's reflection, Sango called Kirara; then both her and Miroku then flew off to the village.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
A tan blur darted from bush to bush, in seek of his ambition. Coming before an abundant shrub, brilliant emerald eyes inspected it carefully. Yanking off a handful of leaves, the small figure rushed back to the side of an elder woman and boy, both inspecting bushes around them as well.
 
“Kaede! Kaede!” Shippou shouted as he approached the woman. “Are these the ones?” Standing tall, Shippou held up the handful of foliage. Turning to face the kitsune, Kaede plucked one of the leaves from his hands. Holding it up to the light, she nodded in satisfaction.
 
Placing it in the bag that rest across her shoulder, Kaede gave reply to the little youkai's question. “Very good Shippou. We will be needing more of these.” Dropping the rest in her palm, Shippou darted off in a blur to fetch more of the leaves.
 
“Kaede-obaasan?” The old woman turned her field of view around to the little boy holding a handful of leaves and a query look. “Can we … go back to ne-chan now?” Holding out the bag in which Souta placed his share of gatherings in, she replied, “of course. But first, we will have to fetch Shippou.” Kaede turned to follow the path the kitsune had chosen with Souta keeping pace at her side.
 
As the boy remained in low spirits, he dragged his feet; eyes followed the miniature padded footprints sure to lead them to the little youkai.
 
“Souta?”
 
The boy looked up to the slightly taller elder miko next to him. “Don`t worry so about Kagome. She's tougher than she'll have you believe.” The boy gave the woman's voice some thought. Having not seen his sister in so long, he was sure she had changed in some way.
 
Not hesitating to ask questions, he started:
 
“Do they fight a lot of youkai, Kaede?”
 
The woman`s face grew weary from the thought. “I`d imagine so. This era is filled with youkai and other horrible creatures. It`s inevitable to face one from time to time.” Pausing for breath, she continued. “Especially if you happen to be searching for the shikon shards.”
 
“Eh?”
 
Souta had met Miroku, Sango and Shippou the day after Kagome was brought to Kaede's hut, but no one had bothered to tell him the tale of the Shikon no Tama, the whole reason his sister was here in the first place, and Kaede didn't feel up to telling him it's extensive history. Shaking her head, the gesture indicated the subject was another story for another time.
 
The boy moved on to his next question.
 
“Do they get hurt a lot when they fight youkai?”
 
The old woman took a moment to consider her answer. She knew first hand the damage a demon could do. And she had seen what damage Inuyasha had taken through the battles she had been fated to see. “Hmm… I hardly see them in the village unless Kagome leaves for her era. If you want an answer, I am not the one to ask.”
 
Nodding to signify that he understood, Souta faced forward again. She's already been out for three days … Ne-chan … wake up soon.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Three days
 
Inuyasha's words stuck to her mind. I've been laying here … for three straight days?
 
Driving her thoughts away from how long she had slept to how well she had slept, Kagome pulled back the blanket covering her leg. Still sitting up, her knees were now bent in an outward position so that they were balancing a part of her weight. Left injured leg on top of the right, she remained cautious in moving despite she had yet to feel any ache. Sock and shoe missing, bandages enveloped her from ankle to knee. Red tints of blood shone through at various spots along the outer side of her shin.
 
Moving to touch the wound, Kagome's fingertips gingerly caressed the surface. No burst of pain. Glad to see the drastic improvement from the night that seemed to have been moments ago, the girl turned to Inuyasha. Now sitting in the far corner under a window, his eyes were closed. Although the girl had seen him like this come countless past night falls, she had yet to see him like that and -actually- asleep.
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
Opening his eyes, the hanyou looked across the room. Meeting brown eyes, he questioned. “What?”
 
“Are you … mad?”
 
The hanyou cocked an eyebrow, accenting a short “Hm?” that escaped his throat.
 
Keeping eye contact, the girl's voice grew slightly smaller. “Well … when I left … last time … you were in such a hurry to go and now …”
 
Scoffing, the hanyou put on his standard intense face, replying to Kagome's question in an assertive tone. “You`re still worrying over that? That was then. Now you need to get better; end of story.”
 
Still carrying the guilt of delaying everyone with her awkwardness, the girl nodded.
 
As she did, her mind unwittingly replayed previous events. Desired corrections were noted in her mind:
 
At the sound of another gunshot, the girl lost balance, falling to her knees. And not in the silent fashion…
 
…“Now look Souta. I need you to be brave.” With that, three other voices filled the house. Kagome hushed her voice…
 
…The girl could hear the footsteps coming closer. She flew open her window, motioning Souta to climb out.
 
Footsteps reached the plateau.
 
With a nudge from his sister, Souta was out and on the roof. Kagome was halfway out when the door blasted open…
 
…Landing square on her feet, the girl cringed…
 
…“Souta!” She armed another arrow as quickly as she could manage. Souta opened his fastened eyes. “Jump into the well!”…
 
…Kagome discarded her bow and arrow, scooped up Souta and dove head first into the well…
 
…Clutching her brother tightly, the girl shielded him to what was to come…
 
 
Caught up in her own thoughts, the girl didn't notice the two come through the door.
 
“Kagome-chan!”
 
Sango propped the Hiraikotsu against the wall and made her way to where Kagome sat. She immediately began asking questions. “How is you leg? Does it feel any better?”
 
Nodding, the girl smiled at such heartfelt concern. “Arigatoo, Sango-chan. It feels much better than before.”
 
The short exchange of words was interrupted by a small, distinct voice.
 
“Kagome!”
 
The kitsune scrambled across the floorboards to reach the schoolgirl, leaping into her arms. Astonished by the sudden entrance, the girl looked to the door, setting eyes on Kaede and Souta.
 
“Souta!” The girl felt utterly relieved to see her brother again.
 
“Ne-chan!” Mimicking Shippou's path, the boy fell into open arms.
 
Kagome held her brother close, whispering apologizes.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
The next hours passed swiftly. Kaede re-bandaged Kagome's shin as dinner was made and finished. The sky was now showing brilliant shades of red and orange. And as the village readied themselves for bed, Kagome began to tell her story.
 
“ .. And the next thing I know .. We`re here.” The girl finished with a look of unease. The account on the previous night had brought back pain to her shin.
 
The room fell into unnerving silence.
 
Kagome was sitting against the wall facing the door with her legs out in front of her while Souta sat close at her side. Miroku and Sango sat near the wall to the right while Inuyasha sat near the wall to the girl's left with Kaede standing just down the steps.
 
“But ..” Sango started, “ .. how could your brother have followed you through, Kagome-chan?”
 
“The Bone Eater`s Well is a mysterious place.” Kaede replied. “As are the Shikon Shards.” She reached into her breast pocket and pulled out the glass bottle which held the shimmering fragments.
 
“The shards might have played a part in this.” Miroku suggested.
 
“Actually,” Kagome began, “When we came through .. the light .. and the feel the well gave off was .. different.”
 
Everyone looked to her in question.
 
Kagome struggled to put the feeling into words. “Well, instead of flowing through, it was like pushing through something; like a wall of sand.”
 
“It was a challenge to push through?” Kaede questioned.
 
“I .. guess so.” The girl replied.
 
It is hard to tell she thought. I blacked out at the last second.
 
“Could it be that Souta has been able to go through the well this whole time?” Miroku questioned.
 
“No.” Souta spoke up. “I jumped into the well before once, but I couldn`t go through.” The girl turned to her brother beside her. The boy seemed unusually exhausted.
 
“Souta.” Kaede started, “were you conscious while passing through?”
 
The boy pondered. “I think I blacked out. I don`t remember any light .. Just falling into the well and laying on the bottom.”
 
Kaede slowly paced the floor as she began to explain her theory. “It could be that with Kagome, the Shikon shards, and the state of consciousness Souta was in is what allowed them both to pass through.” The others looked her way with eager ears. “If Souta had tried to pass through fully conscious, Kagome may not have had enough power to bring him through even with the power of the Shikon. But with Souta unconscious, his energy was less then that it would it have been if he were awake; allowing it to be easier for Kagome to pull him through.”
 
The room once again fell into an unnerving silence as everyone slowly began to process the theory. It was true that the door to the sengoku-jidai was closed to all but two, it seemed. But with Kagome's miko powers and influence of the Shikon, the girl could have opened a door. Even if the opening was small, both brother and herself could slip through; despite interferences.
 
Miroku nodded. “.. That explanation .. seems more than likely.”
 
But how? Kaede thought. How could Kagome summon the power to push through such a feat and make it half way through the forest with such an injury?
 
The schoolgirl yawned. The sky now shown deeper shades of red and blue.
 
Such a strong spirit that girl has.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
:: Yume_Hikaru