InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Upon Broken Wings ❯ Step by Step ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not, have not, and will not own `Inuyasha' nor any of its characters. These belong solely to the beloved Takahashi-sama - who is loved and adored ^^
 
[…What a mood killer…]
 
 
Glossary:
Hanyou - Half-demon
Kitsune - Fox
Youkai - Demon
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Like this?” The boy questioned, mimicking the Kitsune beside him.
 
“Bend your legs a little more.”
 
“Is that better?”
 
“Great!” Shippou exclaimed. “Now let`s help Sango get those fish!”
 
Walking up to the bank of the river, a realization dawned upon Souta which caused him to stop his youkai friend from taking another step. “Wait, Shippou-chan.”
 
“What is it?”
 
“I think ..” he smiled nervously at the thought of reminding the kitsune how short he is, “I think the water`s too deep for you.”
 
The boy noticed Shippou's childlike personality took no offence to the remark as he turned his gaze to the bank at his feet.
 
“You think so?”
 
Needing verification for himself, the youkai leapt to a nearby rock. Weary of his intentions, Souta quickly rolled up his pant legs and followed the Kitsune in.
 
Shippou was unsure of the water's depth even come face to face with it. He was not sure if what he saw through the rapidly moving stream were rocks, or an optical illusion made to bend the distance to the stones upward. Shifting his position on the rock, the kitsune laid on his belly and began to lower himself toward the water. Feeling his way down with the ball of his foot, he reminded Souta of a rock climber finding his way down a vertical cliff.
 
Coming to the realization that his hands could no longer hold him up, he allowed his belly to slide down into the water's depth. Reaching the stones below rather quickly, Shippou found the water came to his waist. This way, he could easily inspect the water below and dart after prey.
 
“There.” The small youkai puffed out his chest in triumph. “See? Not too deep for Shippou!” Shifting his gaze upriver, he stated, “Sango went that way.” Turning to the boy beside him, he awaited his acknowledgment, then finished with, “Let`s go help her!”
 
Nodding in agreement, Souta had to suppress a laugh. This Shippou could act brave and tough well enough, but in truth, was as helpless and frightened as only a child could be. Watching in silent amusement as the Kitsune marched away, Souta couldn't help but smile.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Sorry.”
 
“Stop saying that!”
 
“But …”
 
Inuyasha and Kagome had been left behind in Kaede's hut. All the while Kaede and Miroku had been away, Sango struck up a conversation with her female friend. Soon after, Souta had joined; growing bored watching Shippou color picture after picture. Their hanyou companion, however, sat in his corner with eyes closed; oblivious to the world around him.
 
As the sun made its way across the sky, Sango announced she was going fishing for dinner. Knowing well she was taking it upon herself to perform the chore most commonly accomplished by Inuyasha, she understood as well as Kagome she was doing it for two she was leaving behind. Volunteering Shippou and Souta, all three scurried out; leaving their companions behind to start a conversation of their own.
 
It now seemed a mistake for her first word since her friends' departure to be an apology. Sensing the anger and tension already mounting, she voiced the reasons behind her choice for words. “But because of this,” she motioned to her leg, “we`re not going to be able to go anywhere for a while.” She directed her gaze over her shoulder as she continued. “And I know bringing Souta here really messed things up too, and … I`m … I`m just …”
 
She could not choke out another word.
 
“Damn, wench. Are you going to keep complaining, or are you going to do something about it?”
 
Kagome looked up in mild shock at the sudden motivation her hanyou companion had thrown her way.
 
“You're the one who brought Souta here and from what everyone`s saying, you`re the only one who can take him back.”
 
That's true but- her thoughts began.
 
“But before that happens,” he stood and positioned himself in a leader's stance, thrusting authority in his voice upon his next words. “you`ve got to learn how to walk on that leg again.”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“There, now even out the weight.”
 
“Ow.”
 
“Not too much!”
 
“I know!”
 
They didn't have much time. In the past fifteen minutes, Kagome had managed to take a step, but it was so limped she may as well have hopped.
 
They wanted her leg to hobble its way across the hut; at least.
 
“Does it hurt?”
 
“It`s fine.”
 
Now standing on her feet, she prepared herself to take a limited limp step toward the hanyou stationed in front of her.
 
“Alright.” He let loose his grip on her arm which only recently helped maintain balance.
 
The girl stepped injured foot first, and paused. Taking in a silent breath, she continued to increase the weight upon that leg, hastily bringing forward her fight foot. Finding she caught herself, she let out a sigh of relief; pleased to have not met the hard wood floor.
 
Looking up at Inuyasha, she offered a half smile as she saw him step back another pace. Understanding his unspoken meaning, she brought slid her left foot forward once again. As she did, the girl felt her confidence grow. However, in this confidence, she came to realize she applied too much weight onto her leg as she fell into open arms.
 
“Gotcha.” Inuyasha whispered.
 
Hm? The girl stood once again and met amber eyes; unaware of the heat rising in her cheeks.
 
“What?”
 
Picking up on the accusing tone; Kagome became quickly aware of the beet red cheeks she was sporting. In an attempt to hide the sides of her still reddening face, she looked at her feet. Pulling herself away abruptly, she heard Inuyasha exclaim, “Hold on!”
 
Having caught her for the second time, he let her down so she was sitting comfortably on the step. “Damn, you`re going to do more hurt then heal if you keep falling like that.”
 
The girl was about to mutter “sorry,” however caught herself; offering a smile and nod in replace.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Everyone returned within the hour. Sango and Kagome prepared the fish, Kaede mixed herbs together which later would be applied to Kagome's leg, Souta and Shippou played tic-tack-toe, Inuyasha sat by the fire while, beside him, Miroku sported an almost overly enthusiastic smile.
 
The five sitting around the fire found little things to talk about. However, halfway through the meal Kagome found she had to suppress a giggle when she heard Souta trying to explain video games to Shippou.
 
Everyone slept well that night. Even Souta, who had ended up sharing his sister's blanket with his new youkai friend.
 
Little did they know it would be the last peaceful night they would experience for a while.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
 
 
 
::Yume_Hikaru