InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting For Kagome ❯ Invitation ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This story is based on "Inuyasha" by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Invitation

The relentless clouds occluded the sun as the chilling rain smothered the olfactory signs of spring. Distinctly wet when he returned to Kaede's hut, Inuyasha was content to savor the warmth of his food, and the heat radiating from the fire against his bare toes.

Chewing on a large bite, Inuyasha let his gaze wander. The hut was full--Sango and Miroku were seated side by side, she with a blush, he with a smirk: Kohaku and Rin, both looking sad and withdrawn: Shippo, wearing an oversized kimono, and seated with his back firmly to the hanyo: And Kaede, who cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Are you all right, Inuyasha?" she asked. "You usually have finished your third bowl by now."

That drew the slayer's and the monk's startled, then sharp gazes.

"I'm a bit tired, but I'll be fine," he told her, before raising his still mostly full bowl to sip the broth--and not coincidentally hide the momentary heat in his face.

"You know, Inuyasha, this place is yours, as long as you want to stay. And do not fear what the villagers might say or do, not as long as I'm around."

"There will be space in our house to stay as well," said Miroku. "Or we'll help you build your own."

Inuyasha lowered his cup and looked at his friends, with wonder and an internal warmth that had nothing to do with the fire's heat. "Thank-you," he whispered. "I--thanks."

And so the first day ended.


Author's Note: This drabble was written for the IYFic_contest community on LiveJournal, for the theme 'Heat'. It was originally published 06/21/09. It won the contest.