InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting For Kagome ❯ Then Morning Came ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This is based on "Inuyasha" by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Then Morning Came

He did not want to awaken.

The part of him that was usually aware of his surroundings, knew that he was safe, and so did not dispute with the part of him that did not want to face the world. Refusing to wake, he clung to Tessaiga; one hand grasping the hilt. It thrummed softly, below a human's ability to detect, responding to its master's distress, sending what comfort a youkai blade could to the grieving hanyo soul which it was bound.

Dawn came, but he only closed his eyes tighter against the rays penetrating the hut, willing sleep, and dreams to remain draped about him. He did not want to rouse. He clung to the dreams, where there was no pain, where there was no grief, where his arms were not empty. Pleasant dreams.

Dreams torn apart by a whistle blasting into his eardrum.

He yelled, howling in pain and rage, lashing out, even as he leapt to his feet. A shriek of pain and fear was followed by a thud, and he lunged forward, following the sound as a body hit the floor, scrambled to four feet, and bolted out the door. Snarling, he charged after the fleeing prey, bursting through the flimsy, bamboo curtain. Landing four-footed, he pivoted to continue his pursuit. The prey would not escape his next leap--

Something both soft and hard got in the way. Inuyasha found himself staring at the dirt next to his nose, even as he heard the groaning of a familiar voice from near his elbow. Realizing that he was mostly lying on top of someone else's body, he hastily rolled to a seated position and scrabbled backwards, freeing the dark-clad body. "M-miroku?" he asked, feeling somewhat bewildered. "You--uh--are you okay?"

Miroku groaned, wincing. "I--hope I am," he managed to pant out. "Inuyasha..."

"Sorry." Inuyasha reached up for his throbbing, ringing ear, trying to figure out what he was doing sitting on the dusty path in front of Kaede's hut. The brat was wailing not too far away--damn, he hoped the kit would quiet down from his current upset before Kagome heard him--

Kagome.

Memory crashed down on him like an avalanche. He remembered how, after the Shikon no Tama had shattered and disappeared, they had found themselves on the top of the well in her time. He remembered how Kagome had flung herself into her waiting mother's arms. He'd been relieved, pleased, happy, for a single moment--and then, before he could make a single move, something had grabbed him, filled his ears with thunder and dragged him backwards. His vision had blanked, and then he found himself standing next to the well, in his own time--

Alone.

No Kagome. No friend, no companion. No Kagome to smile at him. No Kagome to cling to his shoulders as he jumped above the trees. No Kagome to grasp his shoulder in silent comfort. No Kagome to take his hand. No Kagome to be at his side, to smile or to argue or just be there. No Kagome--

"Inuyasha?"

The hanyo looked up. "She's not coming back, is she?"

He opened his mouth, but could not say anything. His throat and his heart were frozen. Would she come back? Could she come back? He didn't know. But he feared. He feared. He--he was alone, and she was gone.

A hand grasped his shoulder. "We're not Kagome, Inuyasha, but we're here for you." He blinked, looking at Miroku, taking in the other's concerned expression. "We're your friends. And--it's okay to cry, you know. We won't tell..."

A sudden bubble of amusement broke through the ice in his throat and his heart. He didn't--quite--laugh, but he found himself giving Miroku a tiny smile. "I know," he said, feeling his eyes burn, but not just from grief. "She taught me that. Kagome taught me." Miroku's expression of worry faded into puzzlement, and his smile grew. "How to trust, how to smile," he elaborated, repeating what he had told the youkai souls inside the Shikon no Tama. "Kagome taught me." His voice died to a whisper. "She taught me so much..."

"She taught us a lot, too," replied Miroku, returning his smile. "If someone had told me a year ago, that my best friend would be a hanyo..."

Inuyasha took a deep breath, smelling and tasting the smell of flowers and cherry blossoms. Spring had arrived. Winter was gone, as was Naraku and the jewel. Kagome might not be at his side, but she was safe in her family's arms. He had saved her. Saved her from the cruel fate the Shikon no Tama had intended.

He had been a helpless child, unable to save his mother.

He had been unable to do more than hold Kikyo and cry, as she had died the final time in his arms.

But this time, he had saved the woman he loved.

Smiling, not caring if there were tears on his face, Inuyasha took Miroku's hand from his shoulder and stood up, bringing the monk with him. "Thanks, Miroku."

"Thanks?"

"For being my friend."

Miroku looked startled, then pleased. "You're welcome."

Inuyasha felt a bubble of joy. Perhaps it was only the intoxication of springtime's freshness, but he knew the reason was Kagome. She might not be at his side, but her warmth, and her lessons, remained. He gave Miroku a light clap on the shoulder. "So, what do you need doing, Miroku?" he asked. "I mean, you are going to make Sango your wife, aren't you?"

The monk blushed. "Well, I was going to talk with the headman, to find out if and where I could build a house. I mean, I think Sango's okay with staying here..."

"So, what are you waiting for? I'll help."

"Eh," Miroku hesitated. "You don't want something to eat? You just woke up."

"I'll be fine. So what do you want?"

"Uh, well..." As Miroku fumbled, Inuyasha waited, feeling the warmth of the morning sun and the flower-scented breeze. His yearning for Kagome was still there, but he knew he would survive it.

Thank-you, Kagome, he thought to the five-centuries distant girl.

For everything.


Author's Note: This piece was originally posted on the Inuyasha FanFic Contest community on LiveJournal, on April 28, 2009.